PDA

View Full Version : James Madison Trojan Part of Steelers 75th Anniversary Team...

JR2004
11-05-2007, 10:16 PM
That will be honored during halftime of the Steelers-Ravens game. Dwight White graduated from Madison back in the 1960's and if memory serves correct he was a part of the Madison squad that lost the 1966 PVIL State Championship game.

Here's a short bio about his career with the Steelers that lasted from 1971-80.

http://news.steelers.com/article/83712/

It will go down as one of the most courageous efforts on a football field in NFL history. After arriving in New Orleans a week before Super Bowl IX, Dwight White was diagnosed with severe pneumonia complicated by pleurisy, a lung infection. White spent the week in a hospital being pumped with antibiotics and losing 18 pounds, but he showed up on a wet, 46-degree day and played virtually the whole game. Seven of the Vikings’ first eight running plays attacked the right side of the Steelers defense, and White made three tackles for a grand total of no yards gained. The Vikings finished with 17 yards on 21 rushing plays, and White scored the game’s first points when he covered Fran Tarkenton in the end zone for a safety. Nicknamed “Mad Dog” for his intensity, White was voted to two Pro Bowls (after the 1973 and 1974 seasons), and his 46 sacks is seventh in team history. From 1972-75, White had 33.5 sacks and he capped that era with three sacks against Dallas in Super Bowl X.

buff4life
11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
james madison high school is right by the cotton bowl correct?

JR2004
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Thank You ESPN for having everyone listen to Berman and the guys in the booth instead of letting us see each of these guys get introduced. Moments like these are awesome to watch, but apparently ESPN only felt like showing 4 or 5 of them. At least they got a shot of White (He was number 78) there at the end.

JR2004
11-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
james madison high school is right by the cotton bowl correct?

Sure is...Two blocks away off of MLK.

Emerson1
11-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Thank You ESPN for having everyone listen to Berman and the guys in the booth instead of letting us see each of these guys get introduced. Moments like these are awesome to watch, but apparently ESPN only felt like showing 4 or 5 of them. At least they got a shot of White (He was number 78) there at the end.
It's ESPN, what do you expect?

buff4life
11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Sure is...Two blocks away off of MLK.

i thought i drove by it on the way to the game...

JR2004
11-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
i thought i drove by it on the way to the game...

More than likely you did. It's hard to miss...lol. It's the three story building that's on the right if you're driving down MLK towards the Cotton Bowl. It's a National Historical Landmark and it'll turn 92 years old in 2008.

JR2004
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's ESPN, what do you expect?

You're right. I guess I just thought that maybe, just maybe, ESPN would have a bit of common sense and show halftime so everyone could see these guys. Then again it's ESPN and common sense is something they're in short supply of. It's not everyday you get a collection of talent like that together in one place. I guess it was more important to show Pats-Colts highlights instead of instead of an all-time anniversary team like that one Pittsburgh had out there.