PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation?

VWG
11-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Several teams are playing this week with their playoff games already set. No district title is on the line, etc.....
Do you play your starters the whole game, maybe risking injury heading into the playoffs? Do you play them a half and then let the 2nd string in for the rest of the game?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
They could get hurt the first play of the game or the last play, so why does it really matter? If you're going to play them at all, play them the entire game. Let them relish in their opportunity to play, it's their time to shine and if they earned the chance to start and play, then let them.

Bull19
11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
the longer you play the more your chances go up for getting hurt....its not like after the first snap your gunna find out if you get hurt in the game or not.

BrahmaMom
11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I say you start the starters, substitute, make sure all seniors have time on the field, and finish with your starters. Here's to an injury-free week!

big daddy russ
11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Play to win IMO. You can lose or gain a lot of momentum in one game.

zebrablue2
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
They could get hurt the first play of the game or the last play, so why does it really matter? If you're going to play them at all, play them the entire game. Let them relish in their opportunity to play, it's their time to shine and if they earned the chance to start and play, then let them.

agreed. play it like you did the entire year. big lead at the half, let the subs in.

Old Tiger
11-05-2007, 11:24 PM
If you're undefeated play to win. If you have 3-4 losses play younger guys so they can have game experience

eagles_victory
11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I say you play to win the game but you also make sure all your seniors get time on the field with the playoffs upcoming it may be there last chance to get some significant playing time.

If your up big put in the subs and rest the starters more then you probably usually would dont want someone to get hurt during mop up time off a blowout in a meaningless game.

Old Tiger
11-05-2007, 11:28 PM
nm

Old Tiger
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I say you play to win the game but you also make sure all your seniors get time on the field with the playoffs upcoming it may be there last chance to get some significant playing time.

If your up big put in the subs and rest the starters more then you probably usually would dont want someone to get hurt during mop up time off a blowout in a meaningless game. IMO cody I think seniors are more worried about the playoff game than the last game of the regular season. I know i was hurt more by losing in the playoffs than I was when we lost our last regular season game.

Get younger guys playing time.

Not arguing what you were talking about just stating something that I had on my brain

PurplePride2006
11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I would play the starters atleast til halftime, maybe the end of the 3rd quarter. it all depends on who you're playing and what the situation is

bigron15
11-06-2007, 12:44 AM
if you are coming off a bye week then i would play them the whole game to get them back into a rhythm. otherwise...i would only play them til half-time and a few playes here and there in the second half

lakers
11-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I would say if it depends on whether u r playing for the district title or not. If u r then go with ur starters. If u r not then I would start the starters and let them play a couple of drives or the entire 1st quarter then bring in the backups...

RedWhiteBlue
11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
If you are in our shoes and trying to get your train back on the right track- you play your starters. You try to get your team back where it needs to be going in to the playoffs. Just an opinion.....

BILLYFRED0000
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Several teams are playing this week with their playoff games already set. No district title is on the line, etc.....
Do you play your starters the whole game, maybe risking injury heading into the playoffs? Do you play them a half and then let the 2nd string in for the rest of the game?

We will play them for about 30 points then let the second team play the other half of the game so they can score 20 more. That is how we play all of our games. The only time of year we don't is usually the first one or two games of the season while we are getting the team up to speed and tweaking the lineup to see who plays best as opposed to who practices the best.

But you always play your starters for a couple of quarters even if it is meaningless and the title yours because you want game speed practice to prepare you for the playoffs.