View Full Version : Former players standing behind UNT's Dodge

kepdawg
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Former players standing behind UNT's Dodge

Ex-players come to UNT coach's defense after accusations of bias

11:18 PM CST on Sunday, November 4, 2007

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle
bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – Greg Matthews couldn't believe what he heard last week when the North Texas coaching staff was accused of racial bias.

Matthews, a defensive back for UNT when Todd Dodge was the team's passing game coordinator from 1992 to '93, is one of several black players from that era expressing their support for Dodge.

"Coach Dodge never had any problems with black players at all," Matthews said. "I never even heard a rumor of him having any problems with players, and those rumors travel fast in locker rooms."

Dodge returned to UNT as head coach in December after leading Southlake Carroll to four state titles in his last five seasons at the school. Until the recent accusations, UNT's problems this season have been confined to the field. The Mean Green is 1-7 entering Saturday's game against Navy.

Suspended UNT defensive back Dominique Green filed a complaint with the NAACP last Monday claiming racial bias by the Mean Green's coaching staff. Fellow suspended defensive back Desmon Chatman and Gary Oubre, a defensive back who quit the team earlier this season, have also said they will give statements claiming racial bias to the NAACP.

The university also is investigating the claims.

Dodge has denied the accusations.

"I thought it was ludicrous," Roland Jackson, a defensive back during Dodge's earlier stint at UNT, said of the allegations. "I can't imagine that. A bunch of former players who are black came to his press conference and inaugural dinner [after Dodge was named head coach]. We didn't think he was racist when we played for him and support him now."

Troy Redwine, who is black, has positive memories of playing for Dodge at UNT alongside current assistant coach Clayton George. George was involved in a sideline confrontation with Green during a loss to Middle Tennessee on Oct. 27 that led to Green's suspension.

"Clayton helped me out as a wide receiver and showed me the ropes," said Redwine, a member of UNT's athletic hall of fame. "If I had any questions, I went to Clayton."

Redwine expressed confidence that investigations will show that the staff did nothing wrong.

Matthews suggested that the situation is the result of players adapting to a new coaching staff.

"Every coach has his way of running things," Matthews said. "Coach Dodge demands that you carry yourself on and off the field in a respectful manner. Whenever there is a coaching change, some players are not going to see eye-to-eye with the new coach. It's your job as a player to adapt to the style of the coach. If you can't adapt, you leave."

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/110507dnspountlede.3611dcd.html)