PDA

View Full Version : Stafford over Sweeny!

BH_146
09-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Did someone on this board mention to keep an eye on the Spartans?

Old Cardinal
09-28-2002, 08:15 PM
That big enrollment and a Coach that got the players back out on the field has made the difference. I remember when I said that Stafford and Navasota would be better by the end of regular season, and a lot of folks disagreed. Elgin will get better too!

Specklebelly
09-29-2002, 01:51 AM
Old Cardinal, while we are talking about things you said, what about your erroneous statement that Sweeny will "be a force to reckon with in region 4." Well, they are 0-4 and have little talent. They are not very good, just like I told you they would be. Why dont you go pat yourself on the back for that prediction.

Old Cardinal
09-29-2002, 12:46 PM
Specklebelly, You are right, Sweeny has not performed as well as I thought, thus far. Do you think its a lack of ability or an inability to play as a team? Losing by one point, in this last games does not necessarily make them the worst team in Texas. What are your thoughts on why they are getting defeated, level of competition or a weak team?

Old Cardinal
09-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Specklebelly, You know Sweeny played three 4A squads and then one of the larger 3A's in the state. They did not choose a weak 3A schedule. I would say Edna will be tough for them but I think they can take Rice. Bellville walked all over Rice this Friday.

Specklebelly
09-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Sweeny simply has the least talented team they have had in about 20 years. They have been a school lucky enough to not have had the talent pool run dry in a long time but it finally happened. Sure, they have played some large schools but none of the schools they have played are very good at all. None of them should make the playoffs in their respective districts. Stafford has the best shot I think but if they do make the playoffs, it will be as the 3rd place team at best since they will not beat Bellville or Columbus. I don't think they will beat Navasoda for the 3rd place spot though.

As for Sweeny beating Rice, it wont happen. Rice has a much better team than Sweeny. Bellville did beat Rice but did NOT "walk all over them." Rice was up at the half. Rice outgained Bellville in yardage. Thats not walking all over a team. The score was so onesided because Rice had two turnovers turn into easy Bellville TDs and Rice pulled their starters half way through the 4th while Bellville played their 1st string players the entire game, adding 16 points late in the 4th.

Old Cardinal
09-29-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the info Specklebelly.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Is it true that a lot of the more talented Sweeny players have been transferring over to Bay City?

I heard that from a friend in Houston whose hometown is Van Vleck, near Sweeny and Bay City.

Specklebelly
09-29-2002, 11:26 PM
The bouncing around of kids between Sweeny, Bay City, Van Vleck and Tidehaven has gone on for years. These schools are just so close together and kids have family in multiple school districts. In the 90s I know of kids who left Bay City for Sweeny and left Van Vleck for Bay City. They may be going the other way now, I personally dont know for sure.

whtfbplaya
10-01-2002, 10:25 AM
WOW!