PDA

View Full Version : Teachers

wildstangs
11-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I just passed my content examination and will be graduating in December - time to look for a job.

What district did you get your start with? Any districts I should stay away from? I figure with it being the middle of the year I will probably have to move to Dallas, Houston, etc. to find a job.

block&tackle
11-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Keep your options open and go with your heart. I took the first job that I could get - it was at an inner city school in another state. I loved it. The kids responded to me and it was the most rewarding thing I had ever done. When we moved back to Texas I taught at a wealthy suburban school with good pay and a good reputation - it is only through God's Grace that I did not murder an administrator, parent or student. I questioned whether I was called to be a teacher. Many would have the opposite experience with the two schools but my gift doesn't happen to be with snotted-nosed, spoiled, rich kids.

I guess what I am saying is to go with your gut and give it a shot. If you are not fulfilled, try somewhere else. If you can't find a place where you feel like you are making a difference, get your real estate liscence or something cause it is a tough life if you don't feel like it is something that you were meant to do.

DDBooger
11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I just passed my content examination and will be graduating in December - time to look for a job.

What district did you get your start with? Any districts I should stay away from? I figure with it being the middle of the year I will probably have to move to Dallas, Houston, etc. to find a job. my sister is doing the same, she is going to some huge job fair held at UT this wednesday, like 150 schools will be there. might want to look into it if you have an e-porfolio ready and a resume

luvhoops34
11-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Brownsville ISD always needs teachers. Their starting pay is somewhere around $37G for first year teachers.

The weather is warm all year round and it's close to South Padre Island.:D

sweetwater07
11-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Brownsville ISD always needs teachers. Their starting pay is somewhere around $37G for first year teachers.

The weather is warm all year round and it's close to South Padre Island.:D

They require you to speak Espanol for their school district

:D

Snyder_TigerFan
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM

What district did you get your start with? Any districts I should stay away from? I figure with it being the middle of the year I will probably have to move to Dallas, Houston, etc. to find a job.

Congrats man!

Are you going to be coaching or just teaching? I'm not in the teaching field, I'm just curious and wish you good luck!

wildstangs
11-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Congrats man!

Are you going to be coaching or just teaching? I'm not in the teaching field, I'm just curious and wish you good luck!

I have never coached anything, but if they need me to, I will surely do it. My degree is English, Reading, and Social Studies. I have a feeling if I get a Social Studies job I will be coaching.

BobcatBenny
11-04-2007, 08:50 PM
:D Make sure you double check the content of the approved reading list before you sign off on it. :D

sweetwater07
11-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
When we moved back to Texas I taught at a wealthy suburban school with good pay and a good reputation .

what district is this, if you don't mind tellin??

TAMUGRAD
11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
Keep your options open and go with your heart. I took the first job that I could get - it was at an inner city school in another state. I loved it. The kids responded to me and it was the most rewarding thing I had ever done. When we moved back to Texas I taught at a wealthy suburban school with good pay and a good reputation - it is only through God's Grace that I did not murder an administrator, parent or student.

You need to consider what block&tackle said. What can you tolerate: the spoiled, rich students with hover parents or the students that live in crisis situations and have very little parental support? Both situations are frustrating in their own ways.

Congratulations and welcome to a very rewarding profession. Remember to be very upbeat and enthusiastic when you interview. Interviews usually take place with a campus committee that consists of admin. and fellow teachers. Questions usually come from all present. Good luck!

big daddy russ
11-04-2007, 11:30 PM
From my fiance, who's a third-grade teacher:

-Look before you leap, but don't pass up a good opportunity.

-Know about the district when you go in to interview. If you show interest, they'll show you interest. Do some research beforehand.

-As with anything, the more you know about something, the more questions you'll have. Answers always lead to more questions, so along with your resume, bring in a list of questions to ask them and make sure that you're getting into a situation that you enjoy.

lakers
11-05-2007, 01:35 AM

U might think about Lewisville ISD in the grapevine area.

They pay their teachers pretty good compared to most schools...

And it is a really nice and prestigious area...

Highschoolfan78
11-05-2007, 01:36 AM

congrats on passing! I'm taking my content history exam sometime early in the spring. I'll be student teaching and then graduating in May. I'm nervous about the interviews and such though. Best of luck to you and your similar journey!

KngKongInDTrunk
11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I know Rockdale is looking for a science composite.

rangerjim
11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
My wife passed her content test recently and will graduate in the spring. You've got tough competition. She's awesome (of course I'm a homer!)

kaorder1999
11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
You can get a job teaching SS without coaching. In fact, at the school I'm at in Dallas, only 1 of the 9 or 10 Social Studies teachers coach.

KngKongInDTrunk
11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
How far off are the unofficial test results from the "official" results on the content exam grades?

Highschoolfan78
11-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
You can get a job teaching SS without coaching. In fact, at the school I'm at in Dallas, only 1 of the 9 or 10 Social Studies teachers coach.

that's great to hear really... I've been fearing having trouble finding a S.S. job without having ties with coaching.

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I have never coached anything, but if they need me to, I will surely do it. My degree is English, Reading, and Social Studies. I have a feeling if I get a Social Studies job I will be coaching.

Sweetwater needs a head coach after this friday.

DaHop72
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Sweetwater needs a head coach after this friday. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2007, 01:26 PM

What? Is he a double poster?!?! :eek:

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

haha, it was a joke so dont anyone get ideas.

kaorder1999
11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by KngKongInDTrunk
How far off are the unofficial test results from the "official" results on the content exam grades?
they are always the same. The unofficial results just arent an official document

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
haha, it was a joke so dont anyone get ideas.

Not necessarily...:thinking: .

Snyder_TigerFan
11-05-2007, 01:32 PM

You should change your name to fair weather sweetwater fan.:rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Nah, some people see the glass half full and some half empty.

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:38 PM

You should keep your hand out of the cookie jar.

What was the Canyon/sweetwater TigerFan?

DaHop72
11-05-2007, 01:40 PM

What was the Canyon/sweetwater TigerFan? :confused: :confused:

:devil:

kaorder1999
11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
what is Sweetwater's record?

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
who are you again?

DaHop72
11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
what is Sweetwater's record? 5-4

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
:confused: :confused:

:devil:

Atleast Dahop knows how to have fun.

Instead of taking shots at people who are minding their own business.

Texasfootball2
11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
who are you again?

Hey Stonehorse:D Glad you like the bloody keyboard man you have on your sig.

That was my one and only picture that I got to post a week or so ago. Glad you liked it:thumbsup:

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
5-4

Aw c'mon! lol atleast we are over .500.

Its a down yr. Ive already accepted that.

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
what is Sweetwater's record?

Better than Southeast of Dallas!:devil:

DaHop72
11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Aw c'mon! lol atleast we are over .500.

Its a down yr. Ive already accepted that. Easy now, C. I was just giving kaorder an answer to his question.:devil: :devil: :D

kaorder1999
11-05-2007, 01:47 PM
5-4 isnt bad.

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
5-4 isnt bad.

Wichita Falls....not bad
Brownwood(55-7)...bad
Wylie...not bad
Ever losing to Clyde...bad:devil: :D

Stownhorse
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Ever losing to Clyde...bad:devil: :D
How many times have we lost to Clyde ever?

Black_Magic
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
SWEETWATER! Best 5-4 team in Region 1!!:thumbsup:

DaHop72
11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2817/hijaktf1.gif

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2817/hijaktf1.gif

Hey! We're trying to TEACH some posters about team HISTORY
here.:devil: