PDA

View Full Version : THAT was scary

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 11:00 PM
I couldn't get on here for about 5 minutes. I kept getting that old "Website not responding" message that I got alot during the season!!

sinton66
08-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Ranger Mom, are you on a dial-up service? They sometimes get bogged down.

espn1
08-12-2003, 11:12 PM
I have DSL and had problems.I don't know if this has anything to do with it but there's a new worm that someone created and is slowing down alot of servers.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An Internet worm called "Blaster" that attacks Windows operating systems spread across the globe on Tuesday, infecting and crashing home and office computers faster than technicians could install safeguards.

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Heck yea!! I live to far out to get DSL and our cable company says it wouldn't be cost effective to have cable modems. They don't think anyone would use them - I, on the other hand, think the opposite!!

3afan2K3
08-12-2003, 11:13 PM
The same thing just happened to me!

3afan2K3
08-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Seemed like when i legt not as many post were made.

espn1
08-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Ranger Mom:
Heck yea!! I live to far out to get DSL and our cable company says it wouldn't be cost effective to have cable modems. They don't think anyone would use them - I, on the other hand, think the opposite!!You need to look into satelite.

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 11:32 PM
espn1:

Ranger Mom:
Heck yea!! I live to far out to get DSL and our cable company says it wouldn't be cost effective to have cable modems. They don't think anyone would use them - I, on the other hand, think the opposite!!You need to look into satelite.I'm scared to after what happened to PPHSfans satellite.

Oh yeah....I forgot, I live in West Texas, we don't HAVE trees!!!

sinton66
08-12-2003, 11:38 PM
And the Ya Ya's aren't cursing you!!! :D :D

Bandera YaYa
08-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Hey now, I wouldn't say we curse anyone, well, at least not those we like! :p :p

OK, OK...we'll lay off PPhead...sounds like he has enough problems right now.

But, he had better not get Pres Pinky upset...she's not as forgiving as I am! :D

Peace and Ya Ya!!

Old Green
08-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Ranger Mom I called my Internet Provider and that new worm is playing havoc with everyone who was not protected.

Here in Cuero we got satellit wireless service a few months ago. Boy is it fast. But it is expensive at $59.95 amonth compared to dail-up at 9.95.

Ranger Mom
08-16-2003, 07:16 AM
I have AOL and have it drafted from my account, so I pay $28.90 a month anyway. If I had satellite I could drop my x-tra phone line and AOL and probably break about even. I may have to check into that.

Like many, I HAVEN'T brought the curse of the Ya Ya's down on my head!! :D

3afan
08-16-2003, 08:33 AM
i've got cable modem with the same company that i have cable tv so we get a little break ( -$10/month on cable tv) plus i got to drop a phone line & ISP ($30 todal) so when i switched from dial-up to cable modem my total only increased $5/month. WELL worth it for the speed & "always connected" ........

HotDawg89
08-16-2003, 01:31 PM
I logged on Wednesday, and I had this message that said I had the blaster worm. I have Norton Anti-Virus, but I hadn't updated in about a month. Norton caught it, but could not fix it without "the patch." So I had to go to microsoft and download the patch, and save it to my harddrive, then I had to update my virus software, then I had to go through the steps to remove the virus from my PC. Also, I am running XP, so it took me a while to figure out that I had to disable my system restore to remove teh virus completely. The problem with the virus is that you only get about 4 &1/2 minutes online at a time before the virus shuts you down completely, and you have to reboot. It took me over 4 hours to fix it, as I couldn't get my firewall thing working the right way...it was a mess, but I managed. What I want to know is ...have I pissed any of the Ya Ya's off lately???

Seriously though, the bottom line is, if you have the virus, you are going to know it. The web has just been bogged down with people trying to fix it, so it is going to run a little slower than normal for most everyone I would think.

Ranger Mom
08-16-2003, 01:45 PM
From what I hear, since I am still living in the dark ages (Windows 98) I am actually protected. Has anybody heard any different?? Not being able to get on the board has been the only problem I have had!

CHS_CG
08-16-2003, 04:27 PM
We had to download the patch for the worm. One of my moms friend that works at Texas A&M(whoop!!) said that it was a worm that didnt distroy any software, but it went thru the new version of windows. (XP home, XP office, ect.) So far today, we havent had any problems. My guess as to why some of yall cant get on the site is bc we have less than 2 weeks till football starts...this site is heatin up. I used to get that message all the time. Just keep tryin!

aamove
08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Ranger Mom:
From what I hear, since I am still living in the dark ages (Windows 98) I am actually protected. Has anybody heard any different?? Not being able to get on the board has been the only problem I have had!So far I haven't heard of any problems with 98 or with Windows ME.

Old Green
08-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Lucky for me when I bought my new computer last year with Windows XP I registered my computer with Microsoft.
They send out new updates for it,Plus, It came automatically came with Norton anti-virus, but I Purchased Defender for popup control and McAfee Anti-virus and McAfee Firewall Plus. You get updates weekly from McAfee any virus out there and only takes a couple of minutes to download. It is well worth the expense for protection.