PDA

View Full Version : Mud Hens make A-Rod an offer

kepdawg
11-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Maybe A-Rod's next team could be the Toledo Mud Hens

October 31, 2007

By JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Alex Rodriguez isn’t going to be a Tiger in 2008, but maybe he’ll consider an offer from the Toledo Mud Hens.

On Sunday, after SI.com reported that Rodriguez would opt out of his contract and become a free agent, New York Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner told the New York Times, “Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, or a Toledo Mud Hen?”

The Mud Hens figured they should give him that opportunity.

Dan Royer, a graphic designer for the team, created a mock Hall of Fame bust, with Rodriguez wearing a Toledo hat.

The Mud Hens also prepared a letter that they plan to mail to Rodriguez’s agent, Scott Boras. Included is a contract offer with incentives if he hits 75 home runs per season and leads Toledo to 10 straight Governors’ Cup titles.

There is a catch, of course.

The letter includes a reminder that Mike Hessman – the International League’s reigning Most Valuable Player – is the Mud Hens’ everyday third baseman.

“We think that it would be a healthy competition at spring training between the two of them,” it reads. “Would your client be willing to play a different position?”

Link (http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071031/SPORTS02/71031063/1048/SPORTS)

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2007, 11:01 AM
that fake HOF plaque is greatness!!!

I think he'll consider it if the money is right...

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
The Detroit Tigers have bailed Scott Boras out with Ordonez
and I-Rod. Will A-Rod be the third?:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
The Detroit Tigers have bailed Scott Boras out with Ordonez
and I-Rod. Will A-Rod be the third?:thinking:

bailed? Both were main cogs for The Tigers run to the WS last year and Mags put up HUGE numbers this year

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
bailed? Both were main cogs for The Tigers run to the WS last year and Mags put up HUGE numbers this year

Oh I know. I meant the huge and long term contracts they
offered both of them. One coming off what ever knee cap surgery
that was and an aging catcher(yes I know it's Pudge).
Jason Stark said he thought there was no way Rodriguez would
have opted out the his contract with the Yankees if he and
Boras didn't have an "ace in the hole". He believes that ace is
the Detroit Tigers. Earlier I said I would rather not have A-Rod
on the team. I said the same thing about rasheed Wallace too.:doh:

Can you imagine the Tigers offense if they replace Inge with
A-Rod.:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I wonder if teams that are considering him are thinking of him as a 3B or SS...The Tigers just got Renteria, so they'd obviously be thinking 3B, but others like the Giants (Pedro Feliz at 3rd) might want to convert him back to SS...should be interesting as things start heating up and free agency starts in a week and a half.

big daddy russ
11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I wonder if teams that are considering him are thinking of him as a 3B or SS...The Tigers just got Renteria, so they'd obviously be thinking 3B, but others like the Giants (Pedro Feliz at 3rd) might want to convert him back to SS...should be interesting as things start heating up and free agency starts in a week and a half.
He brought the leather along with the wood during his days at short. He was a better defensive SS than Jeter with more range than Jeter when he came over from the Rangers. If Omar Vizquel is still at it, I'm sure he'd be just fine moving back to short.

They said the Mets were interested. I wonder if they'd shift Reyes to second for ARod or stick ARod in right. He has a better arm than anyone else on that team. No reason to put him in left, 1B, or 2B.

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
check out this last paragraph of the latest story saying that A-Rod wanted $100 million more than the Yankees were offering:

"The Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Giants and Marlins are among the teams which have not publicly ruled out pursuing Rodriguez. Sources say it is highly unlikely that the Dodgers will seriously entertain the possibility."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3091277

Among the teams which have not publicly ruled out pursuing???

I think that says all you need to know about how baseball execs feel about the dude.

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
You and BDR sure are buzz killers with all the other legitimate
scenarios you're pointing out. :thinking: :D

crzyjournalist03
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You and BDR sure are buzz killers with all the other legitimate
scenarios you're pointing out. :thinking: :D

hey, if it comes down to the Mud Hens and Marlins, Toledo might have a real chance...Florida already has a 3B in Miguel Cabrera and a SS in Hanley Ramirez.