PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood @ Andrews

Snyder_TigerFan
11-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Link (http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18981650&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475011&rfi=6)
Oscar Leroy
Midland Reporter-Telegram
11/02/2007

Willie Dains has a hard time figuring out why his Greenwood football team has had trouble scoring inside the opponents' 20-yard line, otherwise known as the "red zone".

Rangers coach Steve Taylor said scoring in the red zone has been a concern this season and it has cost them in some games. And tonight when the Rangers (5-3, 0-1 in District 3-3A) face a dangerous and confident Andrews team (7-1, 1-0), cashing in on offensive opportunities will be critical for Greenwood's chances to win this game.

"We have to score when we get into the red zone and capitalize when we get a good drive going," said Dains, a senior running back/defensive back. "We have to score in this game, that's going to be key.

"Andrews is a good team from what I've seen on film, but I feel confident that we can stop them when we need to and score when we need to."

Last week in a 26-0 loss to Snyder, failure in the red zone wasn't the only problem for the Rangers but it didn't help in getting shut out.

"Scoring no points in a game is tough," said senior Ranger defensive back Josh Lopez. "It was just tough losing like that. We couldn't catch a break. I think we made some silly mistakes, but you just have to get over it and get better."

Lopez added the Rangers returned to practice this past week motivated to get things going back in the right direction.

"Snyder is always a tough game for us because we're both West Texas hardball teams," Lopez said. "Any time we play them we're going to get better, so I think it'll definitely help us out a lot."

The Mustangs come in with plenty of confidence themselves after beating up on Lamesa 51-0 in last week's 3-3A opener. While Andrews has been playing well for most of the year, the Mustangs are not taking anything for granted going into tonight's game.

"I think we have to have our 'A' game against Greenwood," said Andrews junior middle linebacker Malachi Melton. "Both our defense and our offense have to be strong, there's not one area that's more important than the other. (Greenwood's) very strong and they've got some tough runners."

This game also means a lot to both teams as far as district standings are concerned. With only four teams in the district, there is little room for error. Greenwood has already hit a speed bump with its loss last week and wants to try to avoid a must-win situation against Lamesa next week to get into the postseason. Andrews, meanwhile, wants to stay in the hunt for a district title with a victory tonight.

"Each district game is the biggest game," Melton said. "This one right now is the most important of the season. We've had a strong season but the key has been us handling one game at a time, taking it one step at a time and playing hard all the time."

Lopez said this a huge game for the Ranger seniors, who want to finish the regular season on a strong note.

"This is our last year to show what we got," Lopez said. "We just have to get out there and do all that we can do and go win the game."

Snyder_TigerFan
11-02-2007, 08:26 AM
This one ought to be a good matchup, but I think Andrews has a slight advantage since they are playing at home. I'm pulling for the Rangers though.

Common opponents (which means little):

Andrews - Seminole won: 25-21
Andrews - Lubbock Estacado lost: 25-30

Greenwood - Seminole won: 24-14
Greenwood - Lubbock Estacado won: 25-16

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I liked what I saw from Greenwood in week zero, however, I can tell you what thier problem is, or was when I saw them. Lack of speed. They had the size just not the speed to compliment what the o line did. I think they miss that QB too.

Ranger Mom
11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I liked what I saw from Greenwood in week zero, however, I can tell you what thier problem is, or was when I saw them. Lack of speed. They had the size just not the speed to compliment what the o line did. I think they miss that QB too.

Well, the QB is back...he's just not back at 100% and that hurts us too!

Black_Magic
11-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Greenwood By 6. Close game

GWOOD
11-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared

Speed is a factor. As big as they are though, OL hasn't been opening up as many holes as we thought they would early in the season.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Can't wait to hear about this game!

Can't wait for next week when Andrews comes to Snyder! That should be a tuff test for both teams.

Sorry didn't mean to look ahead.:doh: