PDA

View Full Version : Roosevelt's Vincent McNeil JR

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I think he might be the best 3A QB I have seen this year. If Roosevelt had any type of structured offense they would be really dangerous.

3afan
11-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
...structured offense ...

what do they have? a willy-nilly offense?

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Hard to say what it was really. The RB is pretty good too, really fast. Seems like they let McNeil improvise almost like its sandlot football or something. They have enough speed to make it work so far though.

JR2004
11-02-2007, 08:09 AM
In my opinion McNeil is the best QB in Class 3A. It'd be between he and Morrison from RC in my opinion. Unfortunately for McNeil he plays for Roosevelt and gets very little in the way of coaching. If he was playing for a team that has guys who can coach there's no telling what his stats would look like right now.

Too bad for McNeil that he doesn't play for Royse City because it'd be fun to see what he could do playing for a team that has a really, really good system as well as being on a team that's well coached. G's right about what Roosevelt does on offense. They basically just put the ball in his hands and he improvises a good chunk of the time.

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
In my opinion McNeil is the best QB in Class 3A. It'd be between he and Morrison from RC in my opinion. Unfortunately for McNeil he plays for Roosevelt and gets very little in the way of coaching. If he was playing for a team that has guys who can coach there's no telling what his stats would look like right now.

Too bad for McNeil that he doesn't play for Royse City because it'd be fun to see what he could do playing for a team that has a really, really good system as well as being on a team that's well coached. G's right about what Roosevelt does on offense. They basically just put the ball in his hands and he improvises a good chunk of the time.
I agree, I think McNeil and Morrison are a close 1 and 2. McNeil is a big time threat to tuck it and outsprint everyone anytime. I think that is the element in his game that sets him appart. Morrison has alot more weapons to throw to. Both are incredible QB's How scary would it be if McNeil lived in Gilmer???

JR2004
11-02-2007, 08:24 AM
I agree, I think McNeil and Morrison are a close 1 and 2. McNeil is a big time threat to tuck it and outsprint everyone anytime. I think that is the element in his game that sets him appart. Morrison has alot more weapons to throw to. Both are incredible QB's How scary would it be if McNeil lived in Gilmer???

I don't even want to think about how scary that'd be if Gilmer was able to line him up at QB. I can't think of a single team that'd be able to account for him as well as the rest of the weapons he'd have around him. My gosh he might put up 3000 through the air and another 1500 plus on the ground and those would probably be conserative numbers.

kaorder1999
11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I would love to be able to get a hold of a team like Roosevelt and run what I would want to on offense.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
A..I think Velt can truly give RC a game if they meet in rnd 2 and it would not shock me if they beat RC

B. I disagree slightly about the coaching at Velt..no it is not amazing coaching, but I saw a real good offensive plan agianst Madison last night, the run setting up the pass and pretty good play calling at the right time.

I also think McNiel has had some good coaching somewhere because he has pretty good mechanics, he always did a good job of squaring his shoulders before throwing the ball, and always had great awarness where the rush was, and where his WR would be..The WR did a great job of finding open spaces, and also breaking their routes off and coming back to the QB..They dont do that without good coaching IMO

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I think athletically (is that a word?) Roosevelt is capable of beating RC but I dont think it will happen. I think RC will be too physical for them on Defense up front really. Think it will be close and RC would pull away mid 3rd qtr. Might be a fairly high scoring affair but Royse Citys defense has caught up with thier offense and this team is a different team from the first three weeks of the season. I would venture to say the mechanics that McNeil has and the coaching he has gotten probably came from Mike Robinson over at Hutch. I dont think Velt has much in the way of coaching. I think what we saw offensivly from Roosevelt last night wasnt very much of an offensive scheme but it was rec and qb having good comunication. The rest of the offense was totally improvising.

eagles_victory
11-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Hard to say what it was really. The RB is pretty good too, really fast. Seems like they let McNeil improvise almost like its sandlot football or something. They have enough speed to make it work so far though. sounds like they used schoolyard football to put an ole school yard beating on Madison last night.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I think athletically (is that a word?) Roosevelt is capable of beating RC but I dont think it will happen. I think RC will be too physical for them on Defense up front really. Think it will be close and RC would pull away mid 3rd qtr. Might be a fairly high scoring affair but Royse Citys defense has caught up with thier offense and this team is a different team from the first three weeks of the season. I would venture to say the mechanics that McNeil has and the coaching he has gotten probably came from Mike Robinson over at Hutch. I dont think Velt has much in the way of coaching. I think what we saw offensivly from Roosevelt last night wasnt very much of an offensive scheme but it was rec and qb having good comunication. The rest of the offense was totally improvising.

An offense is not improvising using two man pulls, counter traps and combo routes..Yes Velt was classless at then end IMO passing for a score..BUT Madison coaches hugged the Velt coaches on the field, and in the booth they were all laughing and acting like it was not big deal as the game ended. So I think that is just accepted between the schools...But it does not take away from Velt on offense last night have a good game plan and executing it

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
An offense is not improvising using two man pulls, counter traps and combo routes..Yes Velt was classless at then end IMO passing for a score..BUT Madison coaches hugged the Velt coaches on the field, and in the booth they were all laughing and acting like it was not big deal as the game ended. So I think that is just accepted between the schools...But it does not take away from Velt on offense last night have a good game plan and executing it
Yeah, running the ball they did have some semblence of organization to them but I saw a few basic traps, nothing too fancy. To me, throwing game looked like drawn in the dirt plays to me but my eye isnt real trained, thats why I dont coach haha.

Gsquared
11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Oh yeah, twice I saw Roosevelt sweep left but the left guard pulled across the center!! Haha, thats not real smart, luckily that RB had enough speed for it not to matter that the scheme was the wrong direction.

SUPERMANN5107
11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Anyone have any stats for McNeill?

kaorder1999
11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
VINCENT MCNEIL JR

PASSING:
89-146 1200 yards 20TD's

RUSHING:
125 carries, 1168 yards 15td's

TOTAL YARDS

TOTAL TD'S

kepdawg
11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
G you are speaking blasphemy! :eek:

We saw the best 3A quarterback last week! :D

JR2004
11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
They don't have good coaching. I know some folks that played for that guy years ago. He's not a good coach. Getting the job at Velt was kind of a lifetime achievement award. They ran the same junk against us last year, but last year they ran into our defense before all the injuries decimated it and they were held to seven points.

As far as the plays they were running...lol.

1. Our defense this year is not very good at all. They did nothing special against us last night. That was all McNeil out there. Nothing more/nothing less. Every team we've played has found open space on our secondary. Last night was nothing new. I don't like to say it about DISD schools, but that was a sandlot offense they were running against us. It's pretty much the same stuff we run, but we didn't have McNeil suited up for us.

The last time McNeil had good coaching on a football field was his freshman year at Wilmer-Hutchins. You can thank Mike Robinson and his former staff at Hutch for any good coaching he has received.

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
A..I think Velt can truly give RC a game if they meet in rnd 2 and it would not shock me if they beat RC

B. I disagree slightly about the coaching at Velt..no it is not amazing coaching, but I saw a real good offensive plan agianst Madison last night, the run setting up the pass and pretty good play calling at the right time.

I also think McNiel has had some good coaching somewhere because he has pretty good mechanics, he always did a good job of squaring his shoulders before throwing the ball, and always had great awarness where the rush was, and where his WR would be..The WR did a great job of finding open spaces, and also breaking their routes off and coming back to the QB..They dont do that without good coaching IMO

JR2004
11-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
G you are speaking blasphemy! :eek:

We saw the best 3A quarterback last week! :D

It's funny you should mention good quarterbacks Kep. I remember this QB from Sonora that I saw during the playoffs back in 2000 I believe it was. Now that was a quarterback!

JR2004
11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I would love to be able to get a hold of a team like Roosevelt and run what I would want to on offense.

I'd rather see you helping out the Forest Green and Gold sometime in the future. :) You could work wonders though at Velt if ever given the chance though.

SUPERMANN5107
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
VINCENT MCNEIL JR

PASSING:
89-146 1200 yards 20TD's

RUSHING:
125 carries, 1168 yards 15td's

TOTAL YARDS

TOTAL TD'S

Thanks

Aesculus gilmus
11-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Gilmer is happy with our sophomore QB, Darian "Stump" Godfrey. (Why someone 6'1", 200, is nicknamed "Stump" is beyond me.)

He's been learning "the system" since 7th grade and is getting better every game.

I think Coach Traylor would have to stay with the Stump even if Vincent moved to town. He made a QB change away from someone who had not been in his system not too long ago and that move backfired on him, not that it was the fault of the QB what happened in 2006.

Gsquared
11-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Gilmer is happy with our sophomore QB, Darian "Stump" Godfrey. (Why someone 6'1", 200, is nicknamed "Stump" is beyond me.)

He's been learning "the system" since 7th grade and is getting better every game.

I think Coach Traylor would have to stay with the Stump even if Vincent moved to town. He made a QB change away from someone who had not been in his system not too long ago and that move backfired on him, not that it was the fault of the QB what happened in 2006.
Ooops, well, was just making a coment. McNeil wont be moving to Gilmer anyway . Even though my best friend Max that coaches in Gilmer has been in Oak Cliff trying to get Vincent to move to Gilmer, hes not gonna. I dont really think its much of a topic of discussion. :nerd:

Gsquared
11-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I will say this though, if McNeil were QB for Gilmer, they would pretty much be 100 % unstoppable. Only people who have seen Vincent McNeil JR play would agree. You just dont know till you see this phenom. Just dont know Ive seen both stump and McNeil.

Aesculus gilmus
11-03-2007, 06:36 PM
It was Max who first alerted me to how good Stump was. He was his coach in junior high.

I saw him play last night. He threw for four TDs and ran for another. Really an awesome performance for a sophomore, but he's so big, he doesn't seem like a sophomore.

He reminds me of how poised Gilbert Moye was in 2004 when he was the sophomore QB for Jasper in the state title game against Gilmer.

Gsquared
11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
It was Max who first alerted me to how good Stump was. He was his coach in junior high.

I saw him play last night. He threw for four TDs and ran for another. Really an awesome performance for a sophomore, but he's so big, he doesn't seem like a sophomore.

He reminds me of how poised Gilbert Moye was in 2004 when he was the sophomore QB for Jasper in the state title game against Gilmer. Oh crap, im not saying stump isnt good but trust me, after you or any coach see McNeil, and you start someone other than him, you will be drug tested.

Aesculus gilmus
11-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, now you've got me wanting to see him play and that will only happen if 'Velt upsets RC.

And I'm told that's not very likely. The 'Velt-RC game, God willing, will be THE place to be about three weeks from now.

Gsquared
11-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Well, now you've got me wanting to see him play and that will only happen if 'Velt upsets RC.

And I'm told that's not very likely. The 'Velt-RC game, God willing, will be THE place to be about three weeks from now.
I dont think its so far fetched now, RC has played 3 bad games in a row as of last night. Thats not a good trend, hope RC didnt peak already. Hopefully RC can get back on track, if not, im not sure Gilmer/RC will happen.

Matthew328
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Vincent McNiel is a stud.....if he's got it going he can raise Roosevelt's level of play to play with anyone in the state in Class 3A...he's that good

Gsquared
11-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Vincent McNiel is a stud.....if he's got it going he can raise Roosevelt's level of play to play with anyone in the state in Class 3A...he's that good
Yeah, its funny though, I posted something on Smoaky about him and they think im wrong. Only people who have seen him play know how good he is because nobody talks about him much. Funny how people make assumptions when they havnt even seen him play.