PDA

View Full Version : Is there a rule for this in the football rulebook?

BobcatBenny
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Obviously there must be, a rule for this, but I would like to see it.

I was watching a team kick a field goal tonight and saw that the holder of the kick typically has his knee on the turf.

What rule prevents the holders knee on the ground from being a down situation once he has possession of the ball?

Astrosdawg07
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

I was watching a team kick a field goal tonight and saw that the holder of the kick typically has his knee on the turf.

What rule prevents the holders knee on the ground from being a down situation once he has possession of the ball?

Nice I would imagine since he isn't making a "football move" it is allowed....:confused:

Emerson1
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
There is like a 500 reply page discussion about this from a couple of years ago. I think there is a rule for it

STANG RED
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM

I had also wondered the same thing for years. Just so happens I was watching a game a couple weeks ago, and according to the announcers, in that instance only there is an exception to the rule.
When you think about it, it makes sense. If the ball wasnt still live when he has it, then the kick couldnt be any good either. So the ball has to still be alive, even though the holder has one knee on the ground.

3afan
11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
VAMike will set it straight ...

BobcatBenny
11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Well the holder can get up an run after his knee was down. I have seen that happen frequently.

Now I cannot think of a reason why someone would want to, but what prevents a QB from taking a snap from his knees or one knee?

STANG RED
11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Well the holder can get up an run after his knee was down. I have seen that happen frequently.

Now I cannot think of a reason why someone would want to, but what prevents a QB from taking a snap from his knees or one knee?

Because the only exception to the rule is for the holder.

Now if he happens to be the QB (which is often the case), and they are lined up in a kicking formation, he can get up and do anything he wants with it. At that point he is still just the holder, and not really the QB. Even if he is one in the same. :confused: :confused: :confused: Clear as mud huh?

Haunta Yo
11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
In a "scrimmage kick formation" the holder is allowed to have his knee down (by rule).

It doesn't say the ball has to be kicked.

VAMike
11-02-2007, 12:34 AM
The NCAA rule regarding when the ball becomes dead has an exception for the holder in the situation where a team has a holder down and another player has either just simulated making a kick or is still in a position where he could kick the ball being held by the holder. If either of those 2 conditions exist, the ball is not dead just because the holder has it and he is "down". LSU ran a trick play this year taking advantage of this rule and the kicker managed to take the ball either in for a TD or at least for a 1st down. Not sure which it was now.

rundoe
11-02-2007, 12:40 AM

You answerd your on question.

rundoe
11-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by VAMike
The NCAA rule regarding when the ball becomes dead has an exception for the holder in the situation where a team has a holder down and another player has either just simulated making a kick or is still in a position where he could kick the ball being held by the holder. If either of those 2 conditions exist, the ball is not dead just because the holder has it and he is "down". LSU ran a trick play this year taking advantage of this rule and the kicker managed to take the ball either in for a TD or at least for a 1st down. Not sure which it was now.

TD

rundoe
11-02-2007, 12:44 AM
The Refs I saw tonight in The Taylor LH game, (Freshman & J'V)
I can garantee you. They didn't know this rule or any others.

BobcatBenny
11-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Seems to me that there are several rules in football that make things more complex than necessary.

A knee on the turf with the ball in your posession and you are down.

Holders for a place kick should have to squat and not kneel.

Ball on the turf is a free ball unless it is an incomplete forward pass.

Just my opinion, but please let the rules commitee know that Bobcat Benny has spoken! :D

rundoe
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Seems to me that there are several rules in football that make things more complex than necessary.

A knee on the turf with the ball in your posession and you are down.

Holders for a place kick should have to squat and not kneel.

Ball on the turf is a free ball unless it is an incomplete forward pass.

Just my opinion, but please let the rules commitee know that Bobcat Benny has spoken! :D

again!

zebrablue2
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
a holder is a player who controls the ball on the ground or on a kicking tee. during a scrimmage-kick play, he remains the holder until no player is in a position to make the kick or, if the ball is kicked, until the kicker has had a reasonable time to regain his balance. there you have it.

nobogey72
11-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
a holder is a player who controls the ball on the ground or on a kicking tee. during a scrimmage-kick play, he remains the holder until no player is in a position to make the kick or, if the ball is kicked, until the kicker has had a reasonable time to regain his balance. there you have it.

Then, I would naturally assume that, unless otherwise stated, that the kicking team (being the visiting team in this case) would not allow the holder to also be the backup busdriver.

BobcatBenny
11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Then, I would naturally assume that, unless otherwise stated, that the kicking team (being the visiting team in this case) would not allow the holder to also be the backup busdriver.
LMAO