PDA

View Full Version : One take on Georgia's 1st Qtr celebration

3afan
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
By Pete Fiutak, CFN

“Colonel Jessup, did you order the Code Red?” … After scoring its first touchdown in the win over Florida, Georgia’s entire team ran out on the field to celebrate. Head coach Mark Richt ordered his team to do this, wanting to crank up the team’s emotion after what he perceived to be a lackluster few weeks. Of course, he also wanted to show that his program would no longer be pushed around by the mighty Gators. Unfortunately, that one act appears to have caused the housing market to tank, melted the polar ice caps, gave the terrorists a leg up, handed Iran the bomb, caused Marie Osmond to faint, was the final tipping point in the mutation of an antibiotic-resistant Superbug, and has served as a microcosm of why our society and way of life are now threatened.

People, Richt didn’t order his team to run over to the Florida sideline, drop trou and moon Urban Meyer, shave Tim Tebow’s sideburns, or call the Gators a bunch of nappy-headed hos. The Bulldogs showed off a defiant form of solidarity that not only set the tone for the game, it might have changed around the entire SEC race while possibly serving as the jumping off moment for a young team on the way to huge things in 2008.

I guarantee you the first thing that went through Meyer’s mind when he saw what was happening was, “Aw crap. I wish I had thought of that first.” I also guarantee you that somewhere, deep down in a place he didn’t want to acknowledge, Meyer knew he might have lost the game right then and there.

Of course, you know Tebow didn’t even need to be asked … What did Meyer say to his Gators on the sidelines to fire them up after the Georgia celebration incident? “We got spirit, yes we do, we got spirit, how ‘bout you!” And then he pointed the Georgia sideline. When the Dawgs failed to respond, Meyer and his team wildly jumped around gleefully yelling, “We got more! We got more!” Georgia won 42-30.

-------

3afan
11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
and in that same article:

“Look, when something works for me I stick with it.” … A note to the Texas A&M coaching staff in case your fan base hasn’t been loud enough. GIVE JORVORSKIE LANE THE BALL. Of course you don’t call plays thinking that getting a statistic will win you a game, but sometimes, the numbers show that something is worth doing, and in this case, that’s committing to letting the huge Aggie carry the mail. Over the course of Lane’s career, A&M is 6-0 when Lane gets 20 carries or more, and is 7-0 over the last two seasons when he gets it 15 times or more. A&M has lost the last five times he’s had fewer than ten carries,

VAMike
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
It was an ignorant move that could have had disastrous consequences for the game. These players are tanked up enough already. To give them the green light like that just opens the door. In fact, if you look at the 15 yard penalties that ended up being called in the 1st half alone you see what kind of bad blood it engendered.

The only thing worse than him "ordering" the team to do it is his feebl attmept now to say he only "ordered" the 11 on the field to do it.

BILLYFRED0000
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I disagree. Nothing wrong with a little emotion. If there is you better pack it in with the wife and tell her that first kiss was an ignorant move and could have been disastrous. There is no logic in seperating life from football and never will be. You win with heart and this display was about heart and hope. You play with that because there is nothing wrong with it and never will be. If a team cannot show emotion then I will quit watching.

gatordaze
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I guess my screen name may not make me impartial but, I think it was a brilliant move that probably saved his job. UGA has been the Gators beotch for 15 of the last 18 games. This would be like Mack Brown losing to Stoops almost every year and having everyone cirlce the game as a sure loss that keeps you from winning your conference and keeps the BCS money at your biggest rival.

Unfortantely for the Bulldogs and the series, UGA is no longer the biggest rival game for the Gators. They have bigger rivals in FSU, Tennessee and after the past two years maybe even Auburn and LSU.

This prank will go down in Gator history with the flop where Florida literally layed down on the field in order to let Miami score so that the Gators John Reeves could set an NCAA passing record. To this day it is bulliten board material for Miami when the Gators come to town. I for one hope that Tebow and the 2008 National Championship Gators hang a hundred on the leg humpers next year and the rivalary returns to it former greatness!

Go Gators!

3afan
11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
... the leg humpers ...

:D

Old Tiger
11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
It was definately a tone setter for this game

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
That was awesome and I really think that it brought the team together and set the tone for the rest of the game for Georgia.

3afan
11-01-2007, 12:58 PM
from a fans view I thought it was a great move, unique, bold ........... but then again, being an official, I can see VAMike's point of view too