PDA

View Full Version : Patriots vs the NFL

Curly
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Some Folks have a very short memory in 1985 The Patriots lost in Super Bowl XX to the Chicago Bears 46-10

Was Kraft begging for a Mercy rule back then, nope he took his rear kickin and built a better team. If you don't like gettin 50 put on your rear -- get better

(the rest is a stolen article)

It's been a while since I looked closely at the NFL rule book, but I'm positive there is no mercy rule in professional football.

Of course, after what the New England Patriots have done this season (scoring 331 points through eight games and winning by an average of 25.5 points per game) the Competition Committee might look in to it, but it won't happen.

It's been no secret that coach Bill Belichick and his team are out for blood this season after New York Jets' coach Eric Mangini turned the Patriots in for "spying" and people began questioning the legitimacy of New England's previous Super Bowl wins, yet people (namely Randall Godfrey of the Washington Redskins) are whining about the Patriots running up the score.

After Tom Brady and company took a 38-0 lead into the fourth quarter against the Redskins and wound up scoring 14 more points in the fourth quarter in a 52-7 rout, Godfrey let Belichick know how he felt.

"I said something to (Belichick) after the game," Randall Godfrey said to NBCSports.com after the game. "I told him, 'You need to show some respect for the game.' You just don't do that. I don't care how bad it is. You're up 35 points and you're still throwing deep? That's no respect..."

Although I don't dispute the fact that New England is running up the score, as the Patriots are averaging 11.6 points per game in the fourth quarter after heading into the final quarter with an average lead of 22.5 points per game, Godfrey's comments are only arguable in non-pro football ranks.

Like others have stated this week, the defenses that face the Patriots are made up professional players who are paid millions of dollars to stop them from scoring.

The New England offense has lived up to its job description and as of yet, no defense in the league has lived up to its one and only job.

Godfrey and the others who have whined should be less worried about disrespect from the Patriots and more concerned with the disrespect they have shown their coaches and fans with their poor play against New England.

It's painfully obvious to the teams left on their schedule and for the rest of the NFL that Belichick isn't going to let off the gas anytime soon and if you are a NFL defensive player and don't want them to run up the score – then do your job and take the loss like a man.

Jason1725
11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Kraft didn't own the team back then.