PDA

View Full Version : How does this happen?

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Toddler Dies After Hooters Mom Forgets Child in Hot Car
Wednesday, October 31, 20

PHOENIX —

The mother of a 17-month-old boy found dead after he was left unattended inside a hot car for at least seven hours in a north Phoenix Hooters restaurant was arrested on one felony count of negligent homicide.

Police say the woman, Ashly Duchene, 22, left her son in her car when she arrived at the north Phoenix Hooters restaurant where she works at about 10 a.m. Tuesday. When she returned to the car after her shift at nearly 5 p.m., her son was dead.

Efforts to revive the boy by witnesses, officers and firefighters were unsuccessful. Police Sgt. Joel Tranter said temperatures hit nearly 90 degrees Tuesday, but that it would have been more than 100 degrees inside the car.

FOX 10 Phoenix reports the baby's mother had planned to drop the child off at childcare before heading to work at a restaurant near Bell Road and Interstate 17.

Instead, authorities say the mother went to work with the child still inside the car.

eagles72
10-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Ignorance would probably be a good word!!

rockdale80
10-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Toddler Dies After Hooters Mom Forgets Child in Hot Car
Wednesday, October 31, 20

PHOENIX —

The mother of a 17-month-old boy found dead after he was left unattended inside a hot car for at least seven hours in a north Phoenix Hooters restaurant was arrested on one felony count of negligent homicide.

Police say the woman, Ashly Duchene, 22, left her son in her car when she arrived at the north Phoenix Hooters restaurant where she works at about 10 a.m. Tuesday. When she returned to the car after her shift at nearly 5 p.m., her son was dead.

Efforts to revive the boy by witnesses, officers and firefighters were unsuccessful. Police Sgt. Joel Tranter said temperatures hit nearly 90 degrees Tuesday, but that it would have been more than 100 degrees inside the car.

FOX 10 Phoenix reports the baby's mother had planned to drop the child off at childcare before heading to work at a restaurant near Bell Road and Interstate 17.

Instead, authorities say the mother went to work with the child still inside the car.

A police officer did this near Tyler about a year or so ago.

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
freaking sad.....you have to apply for a loan, apply for a job...apply to adopt but anybody can have a kid.

Sweetwater Red
10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
freaking sad.....you have to apply for a loan, apply for a job...apply to adopt but anybody can have a kid.

Something tells me the only question on the Hooter's application
is what's you cup size?". :(
It probably doesn't even have a education completed section.

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Something tells me the only question on the Hooter's application
is what's you cup size?". :(
It probably doesn't even have a education completed section.

:clap:

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 12:32 PM

I have some friends who adopted a child in Georgia two years ago, and now that they live in Texas and are trying to adopt again, they have to go through the entire process...apparently they've been trying to apply for about two months now and still haven't even gotten so much as a form for adoption because of all the trouble switching paperwork between states for previously approved adopters.

pirate4state
10-31-2007, 12:35 PM
very sad

how does no one notice a baby in a car? i'm sure SOMEONE had to park next to this car at some point during the day! :doh:

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
very sad

how does no one notice a baby in a car? i'm sure SOMEONE had to park next to this car at some point during the day! :doh:

you would think so!!!

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 12:37 PM
tinted windows maybe???

pirate4state
10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
tinted windows maybe??? aren't dark tints against the law? and if she is at work from 10a-5p it is BRIGHT outside - you should still be able to see inside. i'm not excusing her own fault and stupidity, but i know if i saw some kid just sitting in a car i'd tell someone!

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
its just a weird deal altogether. I always ask the same thing everytime this happens and that is how does someone else not see them?

kepdawg
10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
aren't dark tints against the law? and if she is at work from 10a-5p it is BRIGHT outside - you should still be able to see inside. i'm not excusing her own fault and stupidity, but i know if i saw some kid just sitting in a car i'd tell someone!

I never pay attention to what's in the cars in the parking lot.

pirate4state
10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I never pay attention to what's in the cars in the parking lot. Well, we both know I'm nosey! :p

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 12:51 PM
aren't dark tints against the law? and if she is at work from 10a-5p it is BRIGHT outside - you should still be able to see inside. i'm not excusing her own fault and stupidity, but i know if i saw some kid just sitting in a car i'd tell someone!

depends on state regulations, but you're allowed to get them pretty dang dark in side windows. So, assuming that the child was in the proper position in the back seat (which is a big assumption with this lady), especially if it were a rear-facing seat, the child would be hard to see. And most places have a separate lot or place for workers to park than the general public, so not as many people would have walked by as you'd expect.

Still though, you'd think that at some point it would cross the lady's mind that she never went to the day care.

RedWhiteBlue
10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
I may be harsh- but I think the courts should give her the same sentence she gave to her child...... death by suffocation in a hot car. Same thing with people who shoot or smother their children- they should suffer the same death as their children had to.

CenTexSports
10-31-2007, 01:38 PM
I have read about this happening 10 to 15 times over the last few years. I can not even begin to understand the grief and self blame that the parent or child care giver would be going through.

Yes this is about as horrible a thing as I can think of but can anyone believe that it is done on purpose? The child is gone but my heart breaks for that person that let it happen. I know I would be haunted by it the rest of my life.

My suggestion is to equip cars with a switch that can be hooked to a child seat and if the car is turned off with a child still in the seat, the alarm goes off.

A lot of organizations have a special charity. Maybe the 3aDL should take this on as our designated charity.

pirate4state
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

My suggestion is to equip cars with a switch that can be hooked to a child seat and if the car is turned off with a child still in the seat, the alarm goes off.

I think I saw something about this very thing on the Leno Show. A couple of teenagers came up with the idea!