PDA

View Full Version : Todd Dodge responds to racism accusations....

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
UNT's Dodge denies allegations of racism

10:41 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 30, 2007
By Brett Vito / Denton Record-Chronicle
bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – North Texas football coach Todd Dodge denied allegations by a suspended player of racial bias by his coaching staff Tuesday, when a second suspended player said he will join in a complaint made to the Texas chapter of the NAACP.

Junior cornerback Dominique Green filed his complaint Monday after being suspended Sunday. Sophomore defensive back Desmon Chatman, who was suspended earlier in the season, contacted the NAACP on Tuesday to join in the complaint. Both Green and Chatman are black.

"I can assure you that we don't have any racial problems on our team, at all," Dodge said. "I can lay my head on my pillow at night knowing that we run a program that takes care of our players and treats them the right way."

Green, of Lawton, Okla., said he was suspended for saying, "We are from the hood" during an incident on the sideline during UNT's 48-28 loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Dodge declined to comment Monday on why he suspended Green and later declined through a UNT official to comment on the complaint. Dodge said Tuesday there was more to what happened on the sideline with Green.

"Foul language was being used on the sideline that was redirected by a coach," Dodge said. "He was insubordinate when he was being redirected. I can promise you that 'hood' was not the only word that was used. I don't have any problem with that word."

Dodge indicated that UNT's staff had problems with Green earlier in the season.

"It wasn't a racial issue," Dodge said. "It was a disciplinary issue."

Dodge did not respond to a message left with an athletic department official seeking comment on Chatman's suspension or his decision to join the complaint.

NAACP representative Ericka Cain confirmed Tuesday that Chatman contacted the organization. Cain will meet Thursday with UNT players who wish to come forward and give a statement.

"I will take their statements and then meet with some people at the university to see if we can come to a common ground and see what the problem is," Cain said. "The players will be able to remain anonymous."

Chatman was suspended earlier in the year. Dodge said his policy is not to go into detail about why players are suspended, but Chatman said he missed a running session.

"I feel like there is a racial bias with the coaches because of some of the situations that have happened," Chatman said. "There is a different set of rules for the black players."

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said he was shocked by the allegations.

"We brought in Coach Dodge to instill some discipline, to instill an accountability to each other and to the team and sometimes that flies in the face of kids' own wants and the way they want to do things," Villarreal said. "Does that become a situation where it is a racial issue? I don't know, but I am going to find out."

Villarreal said he has contacted UNT's Division for Institutional Equity and Diversity and is gathering information about the incident.

The allegations came as a shock to UNT junior defensive lineman Joseph Miller, who is black, and several area coaches and athletic directors who have worked with Dodge over the years. Dodge spent the 2000-06 seasons at Southlake Carroll and won four state titles in his last five years at the school.

"I heard about it this morning and was shocked," Miller said. "I have not been a victim of anything like that. Hopefully this will pass over."

Southlake Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps said Dodge never had problems with minority athletes during his tenure at the school.

"I am very surprised," Tipps said. "Coach Dodge and that staff are kid-centered. They care not just about winning, but making winners out of kids in life. That would be totally out of character for anyone on that staff, and I know most of them

District303aPastPlayer
10-31-2007, 09:13 AM
I honestly don't think that this is going to be anything more than a kid thinking he should be played, he can't handle discipline, so he's pulling a Stephen A. Smith. When another black player comes forward and says that he has never been a part of anything like that kinda throws water on your fire...

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
"Foul language was being used on the sideline that was redirected by a coach," Dodge said. "He was insubordinate when he was being redirected. I can promise you that 'hood' was not the only word that was used. I don't have any problem with that word."

"We brought in Coach Dodge to instill some discipline, to instill an accountability to each other and to the team and sometimes that flies in the face of kids' own wants and the way they want to do things," Villarreal said. "Does that become a situation where it is a racial issue? I don't know, but I am going to find out."

Looks to me like Dodge is has inherited a team that hasn't been very disciplined and hasn't had any expectations over the past few years, so a couple of guys are getting their panties in a wad when Dodge instills values and rules.

Every coach has a transition time where the old players have to get used to the new coach, and that time is even more difficult when you're trying to turn a nobody into a somebody school.

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
From what I hear he's trying to treat men like kids.

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue

most are not "men" ... takes alot more to be a "MAN" than to turn 18 ..........

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
most are not "men" ... takes alot more to be a "MAN" than to turn 18 .......... I'm not talking just about the freshmen on the team.

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:26 AM
i dont care if you are a fresh, soph, jr, or sr

you say dodge is "treating men like kids", doubt he has many "men" on his team - he needs to treat most (or many) of them like kids

and its the same for most college teams, not just UNT

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
i dont care if you are a fresh, soph, jr, or sr

you say dodge is "treating men like kids", doubt he has many "men" on his team - he needs to treat most (or many) of them like kids

and its the same for most college teams, not just UNT Punishing 22 or 23 year old men for cussing? Come on that is dumb.

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Punishing 22 or 23 year old men for cussing? Come on that is dumb.

not if its against team rules ... what is dumb about that?

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
not if its against team rules ... what is dumb about that? No cussing on a college football team? I could see if it was UMHB, ETBU, or ACU.

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
why/what the rule is should be irrelevant .... the fact is, its a team rule

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:35 AM
nm

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:37 AM
I win!

just kidding - good discussion ... will be interesting to see how this plays out

eagles_victory
im sure he did more then just cuss and its not always just cussing but how you cuss and how you use the words.

RedWhiteBlue
Punishing 22 or 23 year old men for cussing? Come on that is dumb.
I think it's dumb that the 'man' keeps on cussing..... if he were a real 'man' he could control his mouth while on the field and around his team and save the cussing for his off time.

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I think it's dumb that the 'man' keeps on cussing..... if he were a real 'man' he could control his mouth while on the field and around his team and save the cussing for his off time. So when you played you never got so hyped up you were just yelling stuff(if you played)?

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
I think it's dumb that the 'man' keeps on cussing..... if he were a real 'man' he could control his mouth while on the field and around his team and save the cussing for his off time.

:thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
10-31-2007, 10:39 AM

Exactly!! I am a grown "woman" and if I just started dropping F-bombs, etc at work....I would be "disciplined" too!!

KTA
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM
I actully agree with go blue on this one....kinda rediculas

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM

Right on!

It's amazing that some people look at cussing as a "so what? no big deal" kind of thing. The way I was raised, I've always looked at cussing as an immature act. "Men" find ways to express feelings without resorting to cliche profanities, at least that's what I've always believed.

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Football isn't a desk job

crzyjournalist03
So when you played you never got so hyped up you were just yelling stuff(if you played)?

Whatever happened to think before you speak???

RedWhiteBlue
So when you played you never got so hyped up you were just yelling stuff(if you played)?
I never played football- but I played sports and am around sports all the time and no, never have gotten so 'hyped up' that I started yelling cuss words.....

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Whatever happened to think before you speak??? If you're getting hyped up I'm pretty sure your just thinking about the game and what not and just say whatever comes to you at the time.

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Football isn't a desk job

and COLLEGE football isn't a job at all. College is designed for training for the so-called "real world". If there's a time for a person to learn how to handle himself and act in public, college is a perfect time to instill those values.

District303aPastPlayer
and COLLEGE football isn't a job at all. College is designed for training for the so-called "real world". If there's a time for a person to learn how to handle himself and act in public, college is a perfect time to instill those values.

Thread over. Argument over. That right there says it all.

Old Tiger
and COLLEGE football isn't a job at all. College is designed for training for the so-called "real world". If there's a time for a person to learn how to handle himself and act in public, college is a perfect time to instill those values. That is in class rooms. You're comparison is weak.

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
If you're getting hyped up I'm pretty sure your just thinking about the game and what not and just say whatever comes to you at the time.

then you have no ability to control your emotions and focus is what you're saying...

District303aPastPlayer
That is in class rooms. You're comparison is weak.

If you are in public and hear someone cussing up a storm, you mean to tell me you don't look at them and think there is a level of ignorance there?

Old Tiger
then you have no ability to control your emotions and focus is what you're saying... Nope...but I also have ADD.

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 10:45 AM
That is in class rooms. You're comparison is weak.

Wrong...it's still college...I don't care if it's in a classroom, an athletic field, or a cafeteria...

people should learn to act and live professionally.

Stownhorse
most are not "men" ... takes alot more to be a "MAN" than to turn 18 ..........

Are you my dad? Because you sound like him. lol

Snyder_TigerFan
If you're getting hyped up I'm pretty sure your just thinking about the game and what not and just say whatever comes to you at the time.

So what does "the hood" have to do with football? I'm betting "busting caps" was in there somewhere too.

Old Tiger
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
If you are in public and hear someone cussing up a storm, you mean to tell me you don't look at them and think there is a level of ignorance there? no...i don't care if someone cusses

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
So what does "the hood" have to do with football? I'm betting "busting caps" was in there somewhere too. by hood he could have meant how he's gonna beat the opposition down which is the goal in football. it does not technically mean he's going to go Ray Lewis on somebody. Some of you folks look into things way to much.

Snyder_TigerFan
One needs to learn to respect authority and rules and this guy(s) obviously had a problem with that.

3afan
no...i don't care if someone cusses

well hopefully you will mature out of that type of thinking .....

;)

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Wrong...it's still college...I don't care if it's in a classroom, an athletic field, or a cafeteria...

people should learn to act and live professionally. Are all professional football players professional, no!

IHStangFan
10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks to me like Dodge is has inherited a team that hasn't been very disciplined and hasn't had any expectations over the past few years, so a couple of guys are getting their panties in a wad when Dodge instills values and rules.

Every coach has a transition time where the old players have to get used to the new coach, and that time is even more difficult when you're trying to turn a nobody into a somebody school. 100% agreed....and good for Dodge. Cleanin house at UNT....its about time someone did.

kaorder1999
10-31-2007, 10:49 AM
there is a difference between cussing because you are excited and pumped up and cussing at someone who has just asked you to stop doing something. Big Difference. Coach Dodge isn't going to suspend someone for cussing but if their cussing is directed at a coach or another player in a negative way then it should be dealt with. It's almost just a self discipline issue. Like I tell my players, if you dont like what I'm teaching you, you better act like you like it and when you get to the lockerroom you can dog cuss me all you want to but you wont do it on the field and you wont do it to my face or discipline will be enforced.

crzyjournalist03
Are all professional football players professional, no!

and the ones that aren't very rarely receive respect from coaches, teammates, or opposition.

If you want to go through life without people respecting you, then go ahead with those antics, but if you want to live a life where people look up to you, professionalism is ALWAYS one of the main things that people or athletes talk about when they're explaining what causes them to appreciate another individual.

RedWhiteBlue
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
If you are in public and hear someone cussing up a storm, you mean to tell me you don't look at them and think there is a level of ignorance there?
No, I think what Blue means is that he could be that person and that we should just act like it is no big deal because he may be 'hyped' up or something.......
Also, aren't college players supposed to be role models for our children? What kind of role model is this guy?

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
100% agreed....and good for Dodge. Cleanin house at UNT....its about time someone did. clean all the hood guys out so he can bring in his suburban recruits....true IHS

3afan
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
:doh:

Ranger Mom
10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
clean all the hood guys out so he can bring in his suburban recruits....true IHS

WHAT?!?!?!

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
clean all the hood guys out so he can bring in his suburban recruits....true IHS

WTH????

Totally uncalled for dude...

Guess you're just getting hyped up and calling somebody a racist now huh? :rolleyes:

IHStangFan
10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
clean all the hood guys out so he can bring in his suburban recruits....true IHS LOL...uh...thats not exactly what I was gettin at..but...

RedWhiteBlue
10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
That was a joke- right??

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 10:58 AM
That was a joke- right?? yes

RedWhiteBlue
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
yes
Thank goodness- I was hoping you weren't that "off".

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank goodness- I was hoping you weren't that "off". No

Ranger Mom
10-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank goodness- I was hoping you weren't that "off".

Some people's sense of humor isn't as funny as others!!:p

Rabbit'93
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
some of you are missing the reason why he was suspended. Not because he was cussing but because he was being insubordinate when he was redirected.

That means continuing to be a idiot when you're told not to.

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
some of you are missing the reason why he was suspended. Not because he was cussing but because he was being insubordinate when he was redirected.

true, true...

I believe I posted that in the other thread about this, but it needed to be brought up again on this one.

pirate4state
10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

BINGO!

and don't get caught up in trying to "teach" Casey anything - this is all a joke to him

vet93
10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
What makes a man a man is between the ears, not age or physical stature. Unfortunately, many of the ills of our society stem from our society not recognizing this point and allowing boyhood to continue past adolescence into adulthood and beyond.

KTA
10-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Also, aren't college players supposed to be role models for our children?

ummmm I dont think so. Parents are supposed to be role models. If your kids are looking at COLLEGE KIDS to be role models, somebody isnt doing a very good job parenting.

buff4life
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
UNT's Dodge denies allegations of racism

10:41 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 30, 2007
By Brett Vito / Denton Record-Chronicle
bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – North Texas football coach Todd Dodge denied allegations by a suspended player of racial bias by his coaching staff Tuesday, when a second suspended player said he will join in a complaint made to the Texas chapter of the NAACP.

Junior cornerback Dominique Green filed his complaint Monday after being suspended Sunday. Sophomore defensive back Desmon Chatman, who was suspended earlier in the season, contacted the NAACP on Tuesday to join in the complaint. Both Green and Chatman are black.

"I can assure you that we don't have any racial problems on our team, at all," Dodge said. "I can lay my head on my pillow at night knowing that we run a program that takes care of our players and treats them the right way."

Green, of Lawton, Okla., said he was suspended for saying, "We are from the hood" during an incident on the sideline during UNT's 48-28 loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Dodge declined to comment Monday on why he suspended Green and later declined through a UNT official to comment on the complaint. Dodge said Tuesday there was more to what happened on the sideline with Green.

Dodge indicated that UNT's staff had problems with Green earlier in the season.

"It wasn't a racial issue," Dodge said. "It was a disciplinary issue."

Dodge did not respond to a message left with an athletic department official seeking comment on Chatman's suspension or his decision to join the complaint.

NAACP representative Ericka Cain confirmed Tuesday that Chatman contacted the organization. Cain will meet Thursday with UNT players who wish to come forward and give a statement.

"I will take their statements and then meet with some people at the university to see if we can come to a common ground and see what the problem is," Cain said. "The players will be able to remain anonymous."

Chatman was suspended earlier in the year. Dodge said his policy is not to go into detail about why players are suspended, but Chatman said he missed a running session.

"I feel like there is a racial bias with the coaches because of some of the situations that have happened," Chatman said. "There is a different set of rules for the black players."

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said he was shocked by the allegations.

Villarreal said he has contacted UNT's Division for Institutional Equity and Diversity and is gathering information about the incident.

The allegations came as a shock to UNT junior defensive lineman Joseph Miller, who is black, and several area coaches and athletic directors who have worked with Dodge over the years. Dodge spent the 2000-06 seasons at Southlake Carroll and won four state titles in his last five years at the school.

"I heard about it this morning and was shocked," Miller said. "I have not been a victim of anything like that. Hopefully this will pass over."

Southlake Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps said Dodge never had problems with minority athletes during his tenure at the school.

"I am very surprised," Tipps said. "Coach Dodge and that staff are kid-centered. They care not just about winning, but making winners out of kids in life. That would be totally out of character for anyone on that staff, and I know most of them

why does that seem be used more and more as a "Get out of Jail Free" card or an excuse???

big daddy russ
10-31-2007, 05:56 PM
I stopped cussing my sophomore year in HS. Didn't say a single cuss word from there through graduation.

I disciplined myself not to cuss under any circumstances. I don't understand why this kid can't discipline himself not to cuss at his elders. If I was the coach, he'd be headed straight for JuCo, cause he wouldn't have a spot on my team.