PDA

View Full Version : Greatest HS Football Rivalries

kepdawg
10-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Look Here (http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/40923/?UserDef=true&catID=79)

Produced by NFL Films, this one hour documentary style series captures all the drama, heartbreak and glory of high school football. Each of the six episodes follows two rival schools, including some of the nation's best programs, as they prepare and play in a game that will last longer than 48 minutes.

Episode 4
CROSSTOWN RIVALS
PLANO WILDCATS vs. PLANO EAST PANTHERS
PLANO, TX
A fierce rivalry has existed between Plano Senior and Plano East since 1981, when East split off from Plano Senior in order to accommodate the growing student population in Plano, TX. In 1999, Plano West opened its doors to further provide educational services to the community, and the Plano talent spread between the three schools. However, the rivalry between Plano and East is as intense as ever and these crosstown rivals (just 8 miles away) meet each year for this annual rival game. Plano beat East in the ’05 season, but were toppled last year 7-35.

IHStangFan
10-31-2007, 01:35 AM
I'll nominate Ingleside -vs- Aransas Pass. This is a 50yr rival that has always been heated. I can remember when Ingleside's stadium would only hold just over 2000 people and the seats would be full and there would be people standing around the track, etc. Standing room only. I also recall the week before our bonfire... sleeping on our tailgates parked around the pile to keep AP from setting in ablaze early. There have been countless vandalisms dished out by both sides the week before this game. These two teams/towns LOVE to hate each other and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-31-2007, 01:46 AM
How long has Sweetwater been Snyders rival? Does anyone know. Anyway its been going on for as long as long my dad can remember.

DU_stud04
10-31-2007, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
How long has Sweetwater been Snyders rival? Does anyone know. Anyway its been going on for as long as long my dad can remember. earliest game between the two i can find is 1925

going over wos87's work, outta 58 meetings, i see the record at 34-23-1 with sweetwater leading.

Snydertigersrul
10-31-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
How long has Sweetwater been Snyders rival? Does anyone know. Anyway its been going on for as long as long my dad can remember.

Snyder and Sweetwater played in 1929 and of course you know who won, THE TIGERS.

Old Green
10-31-2007, 07:44 AM
It may not be the greatest rivalry, but the Gonzales - Cuero games are always a hard fought battle.

wedo
10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
From 2000-2004 Wharton vs. Rice Cons was a good rivarly, Rice hated Wharton and Wharton hated Rice. If Rice didn't moved down to 2a it probably would still be a heated game.

If im not mistaken the oldest rivarly in Texas HS football is Bay City vs. El Campo, I think they have over 100 meetings. And that is a very intense game every year.

nobogey72
10-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Look Here (http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/40923/?UserDef=true&catID=79)

Produced by NFL Films, this one hour documentary style series captures all the drama, heartbreak and glory of high school football. Each of the six episodes follows two rival schools, including some of the nation's best programs, as they prepare and play in a game that will last longer than 48 minutes.

Episode 4
CROSSTOWN RIVALS
PLANO WILDCATS vs. PLANO EAST PANTHERS
PLANO, TX
A fierce rivalry has existed between Plano Senior and Plano East since 1981, when East split off from Plano Senior in order to accommodate the growing student population in Plano, TX. In 1999, Plano West opened its doors to further provide educational services to the community, and the Plano talent spread between the three schools. However, the rivalry between Plano and East is as intense as ever and these crosstown rivals (just 8 miles away) meet each year for this annual rival game. Plano beat East in the ’05 season, but were toppled last year 7-35.

nobogey72
10-31-2007, 03:51 PM
kepdawg---- I watched the episode last Tuesday and it was 2 schools up in Tulsa (Jenks and Union). I turned it on last night and it was a repeat of the same episode. Where did you get the information about the Plano schools?

sahen
10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Baytown Lee vs. Baytown Sterling...."the game" as they call it here....its been one sided for a while now taking some of the luster off of it, but its almost 40 years old now (sterling was built in 1969) and its normal for Baytown to sell out it's 16,500 seat stadium (stallworth) for the game....and the hatred between the two schools is something i cant explain...for competing agaisnt your friends you grew up w/ its quite unbelievable....when i was in highschool they had to move the game to saturday during the day because the fighting and such got so bad at night between teh stands and all....

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
kepdawg---- I watched the episode last Tuesday and it was 2 schools up in Tulsa (Jenks and Union). I turned it on last night and it was a repeat of the same episode. Where did you get the information about the Plano schools?

it is a series..each week another rivalry spotlighted

and it is a shame they picked PLano vs PE..wow been around since 1981..big whoop

Alot of other rivalry games could have been picked here in Texas

kepdawg
10-31-2007, 03:53 PM

Just follow the link

It gives all the info on air dates

nobogey72
10-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Just follow the link

It gives all the info on air dates

Kepdawd-- I went to the Texpreps link and all I got was week 8 results of the whole state. I guess my question is that I was assuming the the show was going to be series of different high profile rivalries, but when I saw the same episode 2 weeks in a row I thought maybe it was just a one time deal.

kepdawg
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Kepdawd-- I went to the Texpreps link and all I got was week 8 results of the whole state. I guess my question is that I was assuming the the show was going to be series of different high profile rivalries, but when I saw the same episode 2 weeks in a row I thought maybe it was just a one time deal.

Follow the link in my post that says "Look Here"