PDA

View Full Version : Thank you A-Rod -- Rangers??

Texasfootball2
10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
A-Rod did the Rangers a huge favor by opting out of his Yankees contract. The Rangers were on the hook for millions to be paid to A-Rod for three more years if he was going to be a Yankee, but when he opted out that freed up millions of $$$$ for the Rangers.

Maybe the Rangers can take that $$$$ and sign some pitching along with Tory Hunter.

Bull19
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
A-Rod did the Rangers a huge favor by opting out of his Yankees contract. The Rangers were on the hook for millions to be paid to A-Rod for three more years if he was going to be a Yankee, but when he opted out that freed up millions of $$$$ for the Rangers.

Maybe the Rangers can take that $$$$ and sign some pitching along with Tory Hunter.

never heard of tory hunter???? is he a rookie or something:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
PLEASE sign Curt Schilling...he'd be invaluable to the young staff...

Mace Griffin
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
PLEASE sign Curt Schilling...he'd be invaluable to the young staff... Curt was great in the playoffs but over the long haul of a regular season im doubting his effectiveness why pay that much money to someone on the downside of his career. ANd please dont sign Toriee Hunter go the cheaper route and get Aaron Rowand or bring back Kenny Lofton players who fit the Rangers style more

Texasfootball2
10-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
never heard of tory hunter???? is he a rookie or something:thinking:

Either your kidding or you nothing about baseball outside the state of Texas.

Either way, he has been the best player on the Twins roster and an all star centerfielder for several years. Grew up in the metroplex and has publicly said that he would love to come back home and play.

Mace Griffin
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Either way, he has been the best player on the Twins roster and an all star centerfielder for several years. Grew up in the metroplex and has publicly said that he would love to come back home and play. hes saying that bc you spelled his name wrong

buff4life
10-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Either way, he has been the best player on the Twins roster and an all star centerfielder for several years. Grew up in the metroplex and has publicly said that he would love to come back home and play.

there is no TorY Hunter on teh Twins Roster, go check it out

big daddy russ
10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
Curt was great in the playoffs but over the long haul of a regular season im doubting his effectiveness why pay that much money to someone on the downside of his career. ANd please dont sign Toriee Hunter go the cheaper route and get Aaron Rowand or bring back Kenny Lofton players who fit the Rangers style more
Rowand's my favorite player in the game today. Maybe not quite as good defensively as Hunter, and definitely not the all-around talent, but a couple of years younger and one of the best clubhouse guys in the majors. Great top-of-the-lineup guy with a good OBP and really broke out this year. Showed a lot more pop than in years' past.

I'd love to see him in a Rangers' uni.

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Curt was great in the playoffs but over the long haul of a regular season im doubting his effectiveness why pay that much money to someone on the downside of his career.

Because he would be a great influence on the young talent that is coming up through the Rangers system...Schilling has already said he plans on retiring in 2008 or 2009, so why not get what you can from him for a year or two and use his veteran presence and unbelievable work ethic to help raise up the young kids that are highly touted and will be ready in two years.

Bull19
10-30-2007, 11:05 AM

maybe YOU know nothing about baseball outside the state of texas?

Texasfootball2
10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Curt was great in the playoffs but over the long haul of a regular season im doubting his effectiveness why pay that much money to someone on the downside of his career. ANd please dont sign Toriee Hunter go the cheaper route and get Aaron Rowand or bring back Kenny Lofton players who fit the Rangers style more

Tori Hunter 2007 season stats $12,000,000

HR Ave RBI R SB
28 .287 107 94 18

Aaron Rowand stats $4,000,000

HR Ave RBI R SB
27 .309 89 105 6

Actually Rowand would be a nice fit, escpecially if they can get a big name pitcher. Based on the Rangers past ability to get good free agent pitchers maybe they should sign both Hunter and Rowand and put them in the outfield with Marlon Byrd. Sign or resign some of their good young pitchers and lock them in for a couple of years and let them develop.

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 11:23 AM

HR Ave RBI R SB
28 .287 107 94 18

HR Ave RBI R SB
27 .309 89 105 6

Actually Rowand would be a nice fit, escpecially if they can get a big name pitcher. Based on the Rangers past ability to get good free agent pitchers maybe they should sign both Hunter and Rowand and put them in the outfield with Marlon Byrd. Sign or resign some of their good young pitchers and lock them in for a couple of years and let them develop.

My biggest hesitation with Rowand is that he had a career year in a contract year...granted, Hunter put up some of his best numbers ever, but he's always been right around the same level of production...Rowand has improved, but is it because he was playing for a big contract? Nobody knows that for sure, but Hunter seems like a safer pick than Rowand to me.

Texasfootball2
10-30-2007, 11:26 AM
My biggest hesitation with Rowand is that he had a career year in a contract year...granted, Hunter put up some of his best numbers ever, but he's always been right around the same level of production...Rowand has improved, but is it because he was playing for a big contract? Nobody knows that for sure, but Hunter seems like a safer pick than Rowand to me.

Hunter also won the Gold Glove 2001 thru 2006.

Did I spell everything buff4life and Bull19?

big daddy russ
10-30-2007, 11:35 AM

HR Ave RBI R SB
28 .287 107 94 18

HR Ave RBI R SB
27 .309 89 105 6

Like crzy said, those are typical Hunter numbers, while Rowand hasn't been quite as consistent. This is only the second time that Rowand's slugging pct has gone over .452, while Hunter always gives you between a .450 and .500 SLG year-in, year-out. Likewise, Hunter is good for 25-30 HRs every single year while Rowand had only hit more than 13 HRs once previously in his career.

Granted, Rowand will be considerably cheaper. MLB4u (http://www.mlb4u.com/topfa07.php?order=rank) is predicting that Rowand will get a $44 million deal for 4 years ($11 million per) while Hunter's looking at $96 million for 6 years ($16 million per). There would also be a lot less committed to Rowand under those terms. But again, there's a reason Hunter is getting more interest than Rowand.

Bearkat
10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Whoever they sign will be a welcome addition. Anyone is better than paying A-Rod to play for the yankees. I would like to see a few pitchers, but Torri Hunter or Aaron Rowand would be nice also. Maybe Torri will take a pay cut to come home and play for the RANGERS.

KngKongInDTrunk
10-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Same old thing. Rangers will probably end up signing a big hitter (Like AROD!) instead of what they really need.

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by KngKongInDTrunk
Same old thing. Rangers will probably end up signing a big hitter (Like AROD!) instead of what they really need.

They could actually really use a big hitter right now...

eagles_victory
10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
i heard they were one of the teams mentioned in the a-rod sweepstakes but i doubt very seriously they will. Although i may be in the minority I would love to see Alex back in Arlington

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i heard they were one of the teams mentioned in the a-rod sweepstakes but i doubt very seriously they will. Although i may be in the minority I would love to see Alex back in Arlington

good player, bad teammate. I doubt management wants to bring him back to a team that he called "a man and 24 kids" as he was heading out the door.

eagles_victory
10-30-2007, 01:19 PM
good player, bad teammate. I doubt management wants to bring him back to a team that he called "a man and 24 kids" as he was heading out the door. Peter Gammons reported about 10 teams who had intrest and the rangers were just one of them so i doubt there is anything to worry about for the people who dont want alex back

Darren
10-30-2007, 02:38 PM

The Rangers are still the Rangers. They won't put any money into the team. Maybe they could pickup another Chan Ho Parks he will solve everything.

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Darren
They won't put any money into the team.

Comments like that drive me crazy, because they're just cliche and uninformed.

The Rangers have put money into the team for a number of years, and even had the third highest payroll in baseball in the early 2000s, but that didn't produce titles. The ownership and management then broke down the team, and obviously the payroll has decreased.

But that's not due to lack of effort on the ownership or management's part. They signed Michael Young to a contract extension this spring. They offered Barry Zito a heck of a contract last year, put up $30 million just to talk to Daisuke Matsuzaka, and offered Mark Teixeira more than $18 million a year to sign an extension.

The team is willing to spend money. The question is if anybody is willing to take it.

Texasfootball2
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Comments like that drive me crazy, because they're just cliche and uninformed.

The Rangers have put money into the team for a number of years, and even had the third highest payroll in baseball in the early 2000s, but that didn't produce titles. The ownership and management then broke down the team, and obviously the payroll has decreased.

But that's not due to lack of effort on the ownership or management's part. They signed Michael Young to a contract extension this spring. They offered Barry Zito a heck of a contract last year, put up $30 million just to talk to Daisuke Matsuzaka, and offered Mark Teixeira more than $18 million a year to sign an extension.

The team is willing to spend money. The question is if anybody is willing to take it.

AMEN!!!!!!:thumbsup:

VWG
10-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Schilling isn't going to sign with the Rangers unless they overpay for him. Why would a HOF pitcher want to end his career with the Rangers?
The free agent market is kinda lean this year. I look for the Rangers to be active, but more in trades during the winter meetings than anything else. They will probably move Laird since they acquired Salty in the Texiera deal.
Rangers need pitching, bottom line. I would rather see them spend money on pitching than anything else.
One thing to think about, what about Crisp from the Red Sox playing CF for the Rangers? The rookie Elsbury is gonna take his spot in Boston.

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Schilling isn't going to sign with the Rangers unless they overpay for him. Why would a HOF pitcher want to end his career with the Rangers?
The free agent market is kinda lean this year. I look for the Rangers to be active, but more in trades during the winter meetings than anything else. They will probably move Laird since they acquired Salty in the Texiera deal.
Rangers need pitching, bottom line. I would rather see them spend money on pitching than anything else.
One thing to think about, what about Crisp from the Red Sox playing CF for the Rangers? The rookie Elsbury is gonna take his spot in Boston.

Schilling isn't going to have a ton of suitors...he's already said he WON'T pitch for the Yankees, no matter how much they offer, and if the Red Sox are out too, then the list of AL teams that traditionally offer money to pitching is dwindling...of course he could always go back to the NL, so we'll see, but considering he said before that he's willing to take a one year deal for $13 million, I don't think the Rangers would have to overpay by much...

Crisp is probably a last resort for the Rangers...he fits into the mold of what the Rangers already have--light hitting outfielders with very little pop. The Rangers need a guy who can hit 25-30 home runs in the middle of the lineup, so that's why I figure they'll stay away from Crisp. Now, if Hunter, Rowand, and Andruw Jones all come off the market at ridiculous prices, Crisp might become more of an option, but I think the Rangers already have a better CF in Marlon Byrd than Crisp would be.

Sweetwater Red
10-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Curt Shilling listed the 8 teams he wants to play for Texas
isn't one of them.:( (for Ranger fans)

Detroit was though.:D

Jason Stark says he believes A-Rod will end up in Detroit. I say
no thanks.:mad:

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Curt Shilling listed the 8 teams he wants to play for Texas
isn't one of them.:( (for Ranger fans)

Detroit was though.:D

Jason Stark says he believes A-Rod will end up in Detroit. I say
no thanks.:mad:

where's this list?

Sweetwater Red
10-31-2007, 09:42 AM
where's this list?

I'll look for it. Mike Greenberg was naming them off this morning
as I was getting ready for work. (Mike & Mike on ESPN2)

Mike said he found them on Shilling's blog.

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Cleveland, Detroit, Anaheim, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A., S.D., Arizona, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis, Milwaukee

from 38pitches.com...but he doesn't say those are the only teams he'd go to...just that those are the teams he and his family have discussed and seem like fits.

Sweetwater Red
10-31-2007, 09:49 AM
where's this list?

..and here you go.:)

http://38pitches.com/2007/10/30/free-agency-weird/#more-110

coach
10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
its funny how a player who hits 54homers 150 rbi and above a 300 avg is a bad teammate

Sweetwater Red
10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by coach
its funny how a player who hits 54homers 150 rbi and above a 300 avg is a bad teammate

I don't think he's considered a bad teammate. But, he is a huge
distraction. He gets more attention from the media for what he
does off the field than what he does on it.:thinking:

eagles_victory
10-31-2007, 10:47 AM
a-rod is judged unfairly imo

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by coach

It's not all that different from T.O. when you think about it...

Off the field, A-Rod is constantly putting himself in the limelight, whether it's hanging out in a strip club in Toronto and leaving with a lady who's not his wife to announcing in the middle of the World Series that he's opting out...

He leaves places with a bad taste in their mouth, saying all the right things right up until he's ready to leave a la me and 24 kids, I was calling the pitches when I was with the Rangers, I'm just not sure about the direction of the Yankees franchise, etc...

To me, A-rod gets off way too easy.

eagles_victory
10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm just not sure about the direction of the Yankees franchise, etc...

whats so bad about that?

coach
10-31-2007, 11:11 AM
why does a rod get blammed but when rivera, pettit, and posada all want to leave the yanks no one says a word but the sec a rod says somethig people respond like he murdered someone...call me crazy but i would spend 300 mil for alex to play on my team...besides who would want to play for the steinbrunner (sp) anyways

crzyjournalist03
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
whats so bad about that?

it's BS and the entire world knows it...if the Yankees offered him $35 million a year for the next ten years, he'd jump right back on the team and talk about how excited he is to play for a new leadership etc.

Heck, he'd come back to the Rangers for that money too...

eagles_victory
10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
it's BS and the entire world knows it...if the Yankees offered him $35 million a year for the next ten years, he'd jump right back on the team and talk about how excited he is to play for a new leadership etc.

Heck, he'd come back to the Rangers for that money too... lets sign him up

Texasfootball2
10-31-2007, 11:28 AM
The worse part about this whole ARod thing is that there aren't many big name free agents this year so the media will drive this story down are throats for a couple of months.

Wouldn't surprise me if they waited until half time of the super bowl to announce were he is signing.

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
My problem with AROD is he signed with Texas to be the face of the team and was all for that on the day he signed..but then never proved to be the true face of the team..He would not take on a leadership role in public, never once accepted the responsibility..yet was quick to critisize when he was out the door

big daddy russ
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Heck, he'd come back to the Rangers for that money too...
If someone offered me $35 million a year for the next ten years, I'd show up to the press conference wearing a tutu and lipstick if they wanted me to. That's a lot of jack and a lot more than he's getting paid now.

Maybe most people don't think ballplayers don't notice that big of a difference in pay, but it's the same thing as if you were getting paid $27K a year and another company offered you $35k (or, say you're making $54k a year, it'd be like a company offering you $70k). I know that unless the company I was working for was a place that I could see myself for the rest of my life and was the best work environment I'd ever been in, I'd take the money too. And make no mistake, New York's not the best work environment in the world. It would take a whole lotta money before I'd ever even consider moving there.

eagles_victory
02-08-2008, 03:22 PM
glad the rangers didnt sign Curt