PDA

View Full Version : Good article in The Eagle about Rockdale

CHS_Grad '85
10-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Bowen: Rockdale refuses to quit, and it's paying off

By Larry Bowen
Eagle Columnist

The Rockdale Tigers just didn't know when to quit, bless their hearts.

Many high school football teams would have given up hope after starting the season 1-6. Players' minds would have started to wander to basketball, deer hunting or girls ... maybe all of them.

The Tigers kept giving all they had to football and -- what do you know? -- football finally gave them something back.

Rockdale has won its last two games, beating Hutto 34-14 two weeks ago and whipping Taylor 35-21 last week, to clinch a berth in the Class 3A state playoffs. The Tigers can finish no worse than third in five-team District 18-3A, so they are playoff-bound no matter what happens this week in their regular-season finale against Cameron.

Folks around the state will look at the playoff pairings and see that Rockdale got in with a 4-6 or 3-7 record and they will shake their heads. Second-year Rockdale coach Jeff Miller will look at the team and point to his chest, thinking about the heart his players showed to make the postseason.

"Before the Hutto game, these seniors that have played for me for two years were 3-14," Miller said. "These seniors didn't win as seventh graders. They didn't win as eighth graders. They didn't win as ninth graders. But they never quit working. I'm sure they had days when they wondered if it was really worth it, but they kept plugging. I'm just so danged happy that they're going to get the opportunity to play some extra ballgames."

Blame Rockdale's bad start on a rugged schedule and injuries. The six teams that have beaten Rockdale have combined for a 39-8 record, and that includes a couple of unavoidable losses because they played each other.

Even a district that includes second-ranked Liberty Hill and tradition-rich Cameron probably didn't seem so tough after the Tigers tangled with teams such as Caldwell, Madisonville, Mexia and Waco Robinson.

Rockdale started 18-3A play against second-ranked Liberty Hill. The Tigers had a three-point halftime lead, but defending state champion Liberty Hill rallied for a 37-25 victory. Still, Rockdale's season took a good turn.

"We were 1-5, playing the No. 2 team in the state, and we just went out there with the attitude that we wanted to beat them, not to play them close," Miller said. "We played extremely well."

Somehow, the Tigers carried the momentum from that good loss to Hutto, where they beat a team that reached the playoffs last year.

"Why we would have confidence at 1-6 going into the Hutto game, I don't know, but we did," Miller said. "We were sky-high. They went over there expecting to win, and do it convincingly."

Last week's victory over Taylor clinched a playoff spot and rewarded a team loaded with leaders. On offense, the Tigers follow senior linemen Austin Dodds and Nick Moorehead, along with senior tailback Kortlin White. The defense is paced by junior middle linebacker Nic Hammett and senior outside linebacker Bobby Joe Tindle.

For now, you can hold the celebration. Cameron and Rockdale are longtime rivals, and this year the Battle of the Bell will determine which team is seeded first in the Division II playoffs.

"We're really excited around here, but we're not content with just being in the playoffs," Miller said. "We want to go make a little noise."

• Larry Bowen's e-mail address is larry.bowen@theeagle.com.

Johnny Utah
10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Go TIGERS!! BEAT THE BELL OUT OF CAMERON!!!

HEMOTOXIC
10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Good Stuff! Good luck Tigers!

rockdale80
10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
thats good stuff right there.

Runnin Panther
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Articles like this portray what’s great about High School football. Gotta love it.

Cameron better strap on their head gears tight. Sounds like Rockdale will be bringing momentum and desire to the game.

Daddy D 11
10-30-2007, 06:51 PM
said it last year and will say it once more, Rockdale will get 2nd place in 18-3A. go tigers! take the bell :devil:

sicem74
10-31-2007, 12:35 AM
"Before the Hutto game, these seniors that have played for me for two years were 3-14," Miller said. "These seniors didn't win as seventh graders. They didn't win as eighth graders. They didn't win as ninth graders. But they never quit working. I'm sure they had days when they wondered if it was really worth it, but they kept plugging. I'm just so danged happy that they're going to get the opportunity to play some extra ballgames."

so so so sad.......

I'm just so danged happy that they're going to get the opportunity to play some extra ballgames."

that will be one game....not trying to hate but lavega=win

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by sicem74

so so so sad.......

I'm just so danged happy that they're going to get the opportunity to play some extra ballgames."

that will be one game....not trying to hate but lavega=win

Yeah, well, nobody said that those boys could compete with Liberty Hill either, and they made it a ballgame, so we'll see what happens when it happens. Nothing is set in stone yet, because there isn't anything 100% that says that Rockdale is going to play La Vega.

87 TIGER
10-31-2007, 07:22 AM
It all comes down to who wins fri., Loser gets LaVega.

HippoBaseball05
11-02-2007, 05:03 PM
"Somehow, the Tigers carried the momentum from that good loss to Hutto, where they beat a team that reached the playoffs last year.

"Why we would have confidence at 1-6 going into the Hutto game, I don't know, but we did," Miller said. "We were sky-high. They went over there expecting to win, and do it convincingly."

1. We had lost three in a row, including letting what should have been an easy win slip away to Cameron at home. That might have had something to do with the confidence.

2. "We were sky-high. They went over there expecting to win, and do it convincingly."

The game was actually in Rockdale, where Hutto hasn't won in a while. That along with the fact we tried to run a spread offense we had practiced for all of four days due to our running game being decimated, made it not that surprising they would think they'd win.

Rockdale will beat Cameron tonight if they can contain the misdirection plays to Wells and Limmer. If they are able to do that they should win something like 28-14.