PDA

View Full Version : UNT football player alleges racism..

kaorder1999
10-30-2007, 08:53 AM
UNT football player alleges racism

Defensive back was suspended following sideline incident

10:41 PM CDT on Monday, October 29, 2007
By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle
bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – North Texas defensive back Dominique Green filed a complaint Monday with the Texas chapter of the NAACP accusing the North Texas coaching staff of racial bias.

UNT head coach Todd Dodge suspended Green on Sunday following a 48-28 loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday night.

Dodge declined to comment Monday on why he suspended Green and later declined through a university spokesman to talk about the complaint Green filed.

Green said he was suspended after an incident on the sideline Saturday.

"I am suspended indefinitely for saying, 'We are from the hood,' on the sideline," Green said. "[UNT wide receivers coach] Clayton George charged up to me on the sideline and said we didn't need that. I asked him what was wrong and he said we didn't need to say that, so I asked him what was wrong with saying that we are from the hood."

At that point, defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza pulled George away from the confrontation, Green said.

Green, a junior from Lawton, Okla., said he believes the incident had racial undertones and is part of an overall pattern of bias among the UNT coaches.

Neither George nor Mendoza could be reached for comment.

Dodge, the former head coach at Southlake Carroll, hired an entirely new staff after he took over the program in December from Darrell Dickey, who was fired late last season. Two members of UNT's 13-man staff – quarterbacks coach Butch LaCroix and running backs coach Shelton Gandy – are black. That staff includes Dodge, assistant coaches, graduate assistants and football operations personnel.

Ericka Cain, the Texas youth adviser for colleges for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said she is in the process of hearing Green's complaint and setting up a visit to UNT to talk to the players and coaches.

"I have yet to receive all of the information from him [Green]," Cain said. "All I can say is that we have received a phone call. We will go through an information-gathering process. We would try to mediate if we find that there is a problem. We would try to educate the coaching staff on what is appropriate. If it went further than that, we would take it to the school's administration."

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said he didn't have enough information to comment on the complaint, but he did speak of his policy regarding racial issues within the athletic department.

"I will never tolerate racial remarks or situations within a team, my staff or this program," Villarreal said Monday. "People who know me know that has been proven time and again. That policy is for players, coaches and everyone."

UNT president Gretchen Bataille did not return a message left on her cellphone or respond to a request for comment left with a university public relations official.

3afan
10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
thats just what Todd Dodge & UNT needed at this point .....

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2007, 09:13 AM
hmmm something seems amiss

pirate4state
10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
hmmm something seems amiss no kidding

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
maybe it's just me, but "we are from the hood" sounds like it could be construed as a racist comment...

Maybe Green is the guy with the problem.

jason
10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8163/s2391899122201rz7.jpg

the player who is "...from the hood"...

there has to be more that was said on that sideline than what green reported was said in the article for him to be suspended ...

and UNT is not in the hood, ive been there...

Aesculus gilmus
10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I can understand that Todd Dodge may have lost the ability to relate all that well to black players from "the 'hood," what with all those years he spent in whitebread suburbia, but he DID play at UT 25 years ago among a lot of the bros.

He's just out of practice. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

There's bound to be more to this than just using the term "the 'hood."

If this is all it takes for a player from "the 'hood" to be suspended, Dodge is not going to last very long no matter where he goes.

There are not too many "wealthy, predominantly white, suburban" major university football programs out there for him to coach.

kaorder1999
10-30-2007, 09:48 AM
give me a break. There is more to it than the comment the kid made. Clayton George is the one that confronted him on the sidelines and George also spent time in Dallas ISD....

There is far more to it then just the comment I can promise you!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-30-2007, 09:52 AM
I noticed that the player was from Lawton, Ok -- which is exactly where I'm sitting here writing this. Believe me that kid is from the Hood...Lawton sucks! What a dirty city. Yuck!

Yes, sounds like the player made a racist remark. But we don't know what all happened.

3afan
10-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

There is far more to it .........

isn't there always!

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Perhaps the confrontation was a bigger issue than Green is making it out to be, and he was suspended for insubordination to his coaches.

CHS_CG
10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Call me crazy but I am inclined to believe there is more then what is gettin reported.

crzyjournalist03
10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Call me crazy but I am inclined to believe there is more then what is gettin reported.

:thinking: now there's an angle that I hadn't considered! ;) :D

CHS_CG
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:thinking: now there's an angle that I hadn't considered! ;) :D

make you should think in the box some lol:thinking: :nerd: :inlove:

coachc45
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I think the attitude that the comment suggests is the problem. Coach Dodge and staff would like to have players that represent the same values that they do!!!! Being from the hood doesn't mean you got to act like a thug, and I think the comment that Green was making just that...!! I don't want my teams acting like that and neither does Dodge.... it is a sign of being undisciplined.

mwynn05
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I could probably find out but im not going to ask

kaorder1999
10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I could probably find out but im not going to ask

dont be scared!

Aesculus gilmus
10-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
I think the attitude that the comment suggests is the problem. Coach Dodge and staff would like to have players that represent the same values that they do!!!! Being from the hood doesn't mean you got to act like a thug, and I think the comment that Green was making just that...!! I don't want my teams acting like that and neither does Dodge.... it is a sign of being undisciplined.

On the other hand, let's remember Vince Young's comments during UT's championship season. I clearly recall him saying that the Longhorns had taken on a "gangsta" team attitude and were no longer "soft" (as the rap on them had been in previous seasons, especially against OU).

He went to Mack Brown at some point early on in 2005 and they reached an agreement that the UT players would be able to express their personalities more freely. It wasn't a matter of being undisciplined or not giving maximum effort either. It was just a matter of letting the players be themselves.

mustang04
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
i'm willing to bet that the guy prolly said more like this "we're from the hood (n-word)"

i always here that here at ASU