PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your Rival?

Old Tiger
06-23-2003, 09:49 PM
I want to know who your schools rival/rivals are. Rockdales is Cameron and Taylor somewhat.

sinton66
06-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Sinton's in district would be Mathis and Taft. Out of district, probably 4A Gregory-Portland.

District303aPastPlayer
06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Sintons rivals: Anyteam that is not us.... realistically, its Mathis(just recently) and Odem and Taft. Sinton/Odem and Sinton/Taft are ancient.

sinton66
06-23-2003, 09:55 PM
So is Sinton/GP, but that was probably before your time. wink

Old Green
06-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Cuero's biggest rivalries are Cuero - Gonzales and Cuero -Yoakum.

Cuero-Yoakum rivalry is a friendly rivalry.
Cuero-Gonzales can be down right dirty.

sinton66
06-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Sinton/GP has been known to get pretty nasty too! wink

District303aPastPlayer
06-23-2003, 10:10 PM
sinton66:
Sinton's in district would be Mathis and Taft. Out of district, probably 4A Gregory-Portland.Mathis only became a good team around 98, 99... they never were really a rival, from what i remember. Gregory Portland and Refugio date back to the 80s, when they were in the same district. Taft and Odem were the main rivals in District 30-3A.

Inglesides main rival is Aransas Pass.... no questions about it.

Raider4ever
06-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Rice would have to Be Rice vs Columbus. 16 miles away from us. ALways a good battle. unless its baseball which we usally get blown out. Except next year we should have a good team and we plan to have a close one!

3afan2K3
06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Forney's is crandall

jason
06-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Forney/Crandall.....it's gotten pretty ugly in the past....

eye of the tiger
06-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Commerce v Forney has turned into a real good rival. Lately a little better for Forney, but always a good game.

sinton66
06-23-2003, 10:20 PM
District303aPastPlayer
Mathis only became a good team around 98, 99... they never were really a rival, from what i remember. Gregory Portland and Refugio date back to the 80s, when they were in the same district. Taft and Odem were the main rivals in District 30-3A.

Inglesides main rival is Aransas Pass.... no questions about it.[/QB]Sinton/GP actually dates back to the fifties and sixties when I was in school. Mathis has always been a rivalry because of the Pirate name. (You know, the copycat argument). wink

VWG
06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Breckenridge and Graham have been playing for years. Hasn't been too close the last few years as Graham has dominated the series.

Vernon and Iowa Park are about 35 miles away from each other and have a good rivalry.

District303aPastPlayer
06-23-2003, 10:35 PM
I know this is a 3A site, but i have to give some other well known rivalries that i know of.

5A:
SA Madison / SA Macarthur
SA Lanier / SA Fox Tech
SA Clark / SA Churchill
4A:
Calallen / Robstown
Kingsville / Alice
GP / Calallen

ThaRealBulldog
06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Carthage/Henderson

Carthage/Center

Old Tiger
06-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Are the tortilla burgers any good?

sinton66
06-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Yea, but they don't have any rivals. :D

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Old Tiger
06-23-2003, 11:05 PM
LOL

Bellville22
06-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Bellville vs. Sealy is a huge rivalry. The schools find themselves about 15 miles apart, and on that special Friday night, one of these stadiums is packed, if you don't get there an hour early, you ain't sittin'. The game is usually preceded that week by a bunch of trash talk, and usually a few not so bright students going to the other town/field and doing something stupid. And I'm yet to see either of the respective coaches call off the dogs if it's getting ugly in the 4th quarter.

Not a pure rivalry like Sealy, but Bellville and Columbus have never seen eye to eye, and played many crucial games over the years. And as I've stated before, I'm not sure why, but Rice and Bellville seem to have some bad blood.

BigChamp05
06-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Bandera-La Vernia. We used to be in the same distict, and had some pretty good games.

District303aPastPlayer
06-23-2003, 11:55 PM
when you and another team playing a game has a name, IE Battle of Big Sandy, Chili Bowl, Gucci Bowl, M&M Bowl, then you know its a big rivalry

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Port Isabel's biggest non-district rivalry is Port Isabel vs. 4A Los Fresnos

In district rivalries, I BELIEVE, are Port Isabel vs. Rio Hondo, and Port Isabel vs. La Feria.

True94
06-24-2003, 01:27 AM
Manors biggest rival is ELGIN!!!!!! no matter the records i promise it will always be a good game loaded with intinsity and a little controversy ala 2002 game when we didnt even finish. the two schools are about 5 miles apart... Rockdale was a big rival too untill they left our district we still scrimage them... And i would say giddings too. I really wish i had one more year to play del valle, i would have liked to settle some scores

CHS_CG
06-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Shoot, my friend and i cant figure out who we could say would be Caldwell's bc every year it seems like we are switchin teams and we dont get to play the same ppl alot....I dont most of yall dont like to hear about band rival but ours would be Giddings(for band) bc every year the color guards of both schools compete for best guard about Blinn.. but it is fair to say that the game against Giddings always brings a good crowd!

big daddy russ
06-24-2003, 03:12 AM
Ingleside and AP are for sure some of the biggest rivals in the Coastal Bend. The rivalry dates all the way back to the 20's, but back then Aransas Pass was about five or six times the size of Ingleside. Still, it was deemed a "big rivalry" in the 1926 issue of the Aransas Pass Progress. I don't have information before then, but I know that it is the oldest rivalry north of the Rio Grande Valley and south of San Antonio. The high schools sit only four and a half miles apart and every year the host stadium boasts 6,000+ spectators. That's about half the residents of both towns combined. Standing room only. Also, AP and Rockport-Fulton have a longstanding, if not more friendly, rivalry.

<small>[ June 24, 2003, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
06-24-2003, 05:55 AM
For Bridge City, it's Orangefield. Considering it is only 5 or 6 miles away. I know kids from both school districts, and it makes for a great game. :D

cunbed10
06-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Marlin vs LaVega/Marlin vs Mexia it doesn't matter what the sport, it could be marbles, it's going to be huge crowds,loud noise and intense play.

Matthew328
06-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I don't know if Everman really has any rivals in 3A....I guess Kennedale could be considered a rival because they are so close..but after next year when Everman goes back to 4A I doubt they'll play anymore...Everman-Crowley is a decent rivalry but Everman wins almost every year..Everman-Abilene Wylie is kind of a rivalry considering we played them in every sport this year! LOL

The best high school rivalry game I have ever attended was the original Battle of the Ax Sherman vs Denison...watching the game from I-75 in Sherman sitting on top of my dad's truck with binoculars along with about 15 other cars...every year when the game is in Sherman the stadium gets so packed that people sit along the interstate and watch the game since Sherman's stadium sits just to the east of the highway..

Ranger Mom
06-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Greenwood can't seem to stay in one district long enough to play a team enough to become rivals. I guess in the past few years, it was Lamesa. If they don't change us up too much again, I can see Sweetwater becoming a big rivalry. In our first 5 games in 2002, Ballinger and Sweetwater were the only teams we had ever played in the past. Shallowater, Snyder and Andrews were all new to us.

true_blue_tiger
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Daingerfield gets moved to a new district every two years, but I would have to say our main rivals are Lindale (6-0) over the past 5 years, Mt. Pleasant, and Atlanta. Paul Pewitt used to be the main rival being the only other high school in Morris County, but they dropped down to 2a in '98 and we haven't played them since.

blue_tiger
06-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Daingerfield's biggest rivalry would have to be Linden-Kildare, until they dropped to 2-A this past year. They were in our district for umpteen years. I would say another rivalry to think about would be Pittsburg. They haven't beaten us since 81 or 82, so it has been pretty intense the last few times we have played them.

Rabbit'93
06-24-2003, 11:12 PM
In my opinion Forney's would have to be Kaufman. I know some of you have said that its Crandall, but it is hard to call that a rivalry when Crandall has only beaten Forney I think once in almost 45 tries.

Blackcat03
06-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Biggest rival... hmm...
For Mexia, hands down it's Groesbeck, the hated Goats. Battle of the River comes every year through rain, sleet, or snow. Even though we don't get the last 2 during this time of year. I can only remember losing to them once my J.V. year, when our good guys were on the V squad. I hated it. But since then we've had 2 awesome games were Mexia won with a last second fieldgoal (2001) by a kid whose family lives in Groesbeck, but he chose to come to Mexia, great choice! And Mexia winning by one in a shootout of offenses (2002). Both of those games in Groesbeck to a full house. As you can see the better team came out on top! Hahaha, alotta cussin, talkin bout mommas, fightin, and trash talkin! Just like I'm doing now! Keep kickin that Goat @$$ in the years to come Cats!

Jacket2000
06-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Ellis county has a few rivals. Palmer vs Maypearl is a big one, although neither team ever fields a very good football team. Ferris isn't too fond of Forney or Crandall, but both of those have been pretty one-sided as of late. Red Oak and Midlothian is usually pretty heated b/c both teams are tryin' to keep from goin' 0-10. But, of course, none of these compare to the Ennis/Waxahahie rivalry. Ive never seen two towns hate each other as much as they do. Hell, even the band and UIL competitions are heated!
J2K

smustangs
06-25-2003, 02:01 AM
i would have to say sweetwaters biggest are snyder and greenwood.

Big Cheese
06-25-2003, 11:02 AM
La Grange biggest in district rival and non district when they are out of district is Giddings...the two towns are only 20 minutes apart and kids on both teams know each other so it makes for a great game.

Another big rival is Bellville. Always a great game (when we do play them).

Jimbotex40
06-25-2003, 03:49 PM
crandall is not Forney's rival.

Forney is, however, crandall's rival.

this is simply because the match-up never poses a challenge for us.

just like in college football OSU hates OU a lot, because the overall series is heavily in OU's favor, i think like 70 something to 16 or 17.

OU hates t.u. (an Aggie's way of saying texas) because they pose a bigger challenge upon OU than does OSU.

i would think that t.u. either hates Texas A&M or OU more, but id have to say, OU because theyve lost to OU more than A&M.

BigChamp05
06-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Boomer Sooners! LOL

Bandera YaYa
06-25-2003, 04:13 PM
PPHSfan. :D

Old Tiger
06-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Bandera YaYa:
PPHSfan. :D LOL HAHA :D

lovedaddy06
06-25-2003, 06:27 PM
I must say the Giddings/LaGrange rival is the biggest I have been part of and known around the state. Some say the Abilene High and Abilene Cooper in 5A is also one the biggest. I don't know how long the rivalry has been between Gidding/Lagrange, but I think it is over 80 yrs. Does that constitute a Big Rival?

CHS_CG
06-25-2003, 10:51 PM
I have been informed by one of my friends that she believes Caldwell and Rockdale are rivals. They are a very short distance from us and we always play a good game against them!

theyoefnshow
06-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Hmmm....it'll always be Rockdale for Cameron but seems the past 2/3s of the decade it's been all Cameron. Seems a friendly rivalry between Gatesville & Cameron has been brewing the past few years. Every year it's a good game w/ last year the teams playing twice each winning a game but Cameron winning the one that mattered. But.....when anyone in Cameron thinks rivalry....Rockdale is and will probably always be the town that comes to mind.

slpybear the bullfan
06-25-2003, 10:56 PM
In Wise County for 3A there is one rivalry that can't be beat...

THE BATTLE OF BIG SANDY

This would be my Bridgeport Fighting Bulls vs. the Decatur Eagles.

The series is in its 70th or 80th something year, I will have to dig that up from an old post from last year.

The two schools are natural rivals, the towns are similar sized but have completely different cultures. They are seperated by a creek called Big Sandy, hence the name of the game.

Last year was pretty rough, because Decatur beat Bridgeport in almost every sport the two schools played each other in.

But there is always another, year...

BOOOMB, WDA, Go Bulls!

MARLINFAN
06-26-2003, 12:02 AM
i agree along with cunbed 10 its would have to be lavega. they have stoped us from playing them in fb because of the realingment. i remember when i was a youngstar lv was playing marlin in a homecoming game which they beat us. it was trouble afterwards. when i was in 8th grade. we were destroying them like 35-0 in the first quater. when a player was hit on a kickoff by a marlin player which he broke his collar bone. a lv player ran across the field and got into it with other players. the game was called in the early 2 qtr.so it would be lv. when ever it comes down to them its big competion.

MARLINFAN
06-26-2003, 12:05 AM
our other rival is cameron. whoa high capacity crowds. here is how it started in 2000 3 ot round 4 playoff game. marlin wins by a field goal. 2002 district championship game marlin wins 17-16 ot. basketball. district games full house no were to sit. i know i just broke it down in words .

St. Ivender
06-26-2003, 09:26 AM
OU hates t.u. (an Aggie's way of saying texas) because they pose a bigger challenge upon OU than does OSU.

i would think that t.u. either hates Texas A&M or OU more, but id have to say, OU because theyve lost to OU more than A&M.[/qb][/QUOTE]

UT fans and A & M fans should line up together against the common enemy... the Oklahoma Sooners. They have had it their way too long. Whomever roots for OU against either UT or A & M and calls himself a Texan should be publicly hanged on the courthouse square

<small>[ June 26, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: St. Ivender ]</small>

redstm
06-26-2003, 12:46 PM
St. Ivender:

i would think that t.u. either hates Texas A&M or OU more, but id have to say, OU because theyve lost to OU more than A&M.UT fans and A & M fans should line up together against the common enemy... the Oklahoma Sooners. They have had it their way too long. Whomever roots for OU against either UT or A & M and calls himself a Texan should be publicly hanged on the courthouse square[/QB][/QUOTE]

man i really hope you are just kidding. Just because Oklahoma has had there way with almost all Texas schools in the past 3 years is no reason to hate on us fans

Matthew328
06-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Bridgeport and Decatur have different cultures?? You could have fooled me :D

the tigers are back
06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah the bellville and rice game i can't wait to see that game, because sealy plays ingleside in victoria that saturday evenning at 2:00 o'clock; and i know that bellville and rice game game will be exciting to see i wish both teams well, but im sure glad we not playing them but i eek! think we will scrimmage them though.

turbostud
06-26-2003, 08:10 PM
what the heck are you trying to say?

slpybear the bullfan
06-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Matthew328:
Bridgeport and Decatur have different cultures?? You could have fooled me :D Heh, Heh... yeah, they are birds and we are mammals...

...and I could draw a lot more contrasts... but this is a Family Board wink

C'mon Bulls, need to beat them Egrets...

trojandad
06-26-2003, 11:06 PM
In the past I would have never said Liberty was Coldspring's biggest rival. But 2 years ago we were ahead 6-3 in a blinding rainstorm when the game was called in the third due to lightning. Then last years game was one for the record books, with Coldspring being behind 21-12 with 2:30 left in the game and Liberty with the ball first and ten, only to beat Liberty 22-21 with Liberty BARELY missing a field goal with no time left. And both of those games on Liberty's home field.

So I would say that, along with both of our teams good showing in the playoffs last year (Liberty played Bellville close), I would say this year's game on our turf is gonna be a barn burner.

St. Ivender
06-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Newton's biggest rival has always been Kirbyville. I may be mistaken but Bubba Bean was a Freshman the last time K-ville was victorious. Since then it's been all Eagles!!!

St. Ivender
06-27-2003, 10:13 AM
man i really hope you are just kidding. Just because Oklahoma has had there way with almost all Texas schools in the past 3 years is no reason to hate on us fans[/QB][/QUOTE]

The "we should stand together against the common enemy" is valid. The "hanged on the courthouse square" comments were completely tongue in cheek.

Phil C
06-27-2003, 10:37 AM
I had a friend who graduated from SMU and he said that he was not an Aggie fan but that he took delight in the Aggies beating Oklahoma. He said that Oklahoma needed to be beat.

Old Tiger
06-27-2003, 10:39 AM
St. Ivender:

i would think that t.u. either hates Texas A&M or OU more, but id have to say, OU because theyve lost to OU more than A&M.Um...Oklahoma would have to hate Oklahoma State. They haven't finished that team off the past 2 years.

<small>[ June 27, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Old Tiger ]</small>

big69
06-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Diboll really doesn't have much of a district rival. Only Crockett would come close, but that was only for four years to decide the DC and the series is tied 2-2 with the visiting winning. Maybe Huntington would be a little closer since they are in the same county, but if you beat a team 20 out of 21 years by an average score of 40 or more points doesn't sound too much like a rivalry. Although I must say that Huntington could have a pretty good team if they got the right coach to put them in the right direction. Honestly, they actually have great athletes but its like there is no care for sports or a weight lifting program to help them out!

MARLINFAN
06-28-2003, 01:04 AM
I THINK marlin vs newton has became a rilvary now. we have stopped them from advancing now 4 yrs straight. my bad we skipped last year but this yr we were back

<small>[ June 28, 2003, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: MARLINFAN ]</small>

shellman54
06-28-2003, 08:35 AM
with the hill, i think it was whichever team we were playing that week. huffman hated us, hamshire-fannett hated us, liberty hated us, so naturally, we hated them back. every district game we played, we had no trouble getting pumped up for. unfortunately, they had no trouble either.........