PDA

View Full Version : Was this a penalty?

slpybear the bullfan
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
http://video.nbc5i.com/player/?id=172645

Look at the 1st score by Bridgeport (white team). The player was called for unsportsmanlike conduct for diving into the endzone.

WTH? He was avoiding tacklers...

I simply do not get the call. MIKE, Broadcaster, Help!

88bobcats
10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I've got to agree with the referee on that one. I don't think the receiver had to dive to get into the end zone. Maybe it was just the camera angle; but it looked like an unnecessary dive.

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 11:27 PM
it is a judgement call by the offical..personally I think the
defender was close enough that it should not have been a flag

Gobbla2001
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
I think that a lot of the time it's instinct to dive just to get the ball across the line...

tough call but I'd go with the athlete, it's about what he feels necessary to get the ball into the endzone...

piratebg
10-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Bad call. :dispntd:

Stownhorse
10-30-2007, 12:21 AM
If the defender never dove I would have thrown the flag. But he made a play at it.

yoemenkracker30
10-30-2007, 01:02 AM
looked like they were kinda side by side when he got in the endzone....bad call

GreenMonster
10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
...bad call agreed. seen some really really poor officiating this year. lots of confusion with NFL rules etc.

3afan
10-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
agreed. seen some really really poor officiating this year. lots of confusion with NFL rules etc.

trust me - its only the fans in the stands that confuse HS rules with NFL rules ... the officials on the field know the difference. now there may be some bad judgement, but its not confusing HS & NFL rules ...

by the way on the video it did look like an overzealous official on that one ...

District303aPastPlayer
10-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
trust me - its only the fans in the stands that confuse HS rules with NFL rules ... the officials on the field know the difference. now there may be some bad judgement, but its not confusing HS & NFL rules ...

by the way on the video it did look like an overzealous official on that one ...

the UIL in Texas uses NCAA rules... :)

CenTexSports
10-30-2007, 08:26 AM
NCAA rules with UIL exceptions!

kaorder1999
10-30-2007, 08:31 AM
but there arent just a whole lot of exceptions..

3afan
10-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
the UIL in Texas uses NCAA rules... :)

Originally posted by CenTexSports
NCAA rules with UIL exceptions!

yes, they do ..... point being any official doing a varsity game may not have the best judgement but they are going to know the rules ..................... at least one would hope so especially at the 3A level & up

Old Tiger
10-30-2007, 08:40 AM
horrible call

kaorder1999
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes, they do ..... point being any official doing a varsity game may not have the best judgement but they are going to know the rules ..................... at least one would hope so especially at the 3A level & up

had an official at a JV game a while back tell me that if the offensive player (ball carrier) wants to stop the clock then they have to be FORCED out of bounds by contact and he told me that if the ball carrier just runs out of bounds the clock dont stop. I about had a heart attack.

CenTexSports
10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
The point of the rule is to:

1) To keep players from taunting.
2) To keep players from excessive celebration.
3) To try to keep players from showing up the other team.

In my opinion, I would not flag that play but I did not see the rest of the game and there may have been other circumstances that led to the flag.

kaorder1999
10-30-2007, 08:55 AM

In my opinion, I would not flag that play but I did not see the rest of the game and there may have been other circumstances that led to the flag.
was going ot be my next point!

BullsFan
10-30-2007, 11:42 PM

There wasn't. From what I understand, the officials were having a (really REALLY) off night. Lots of blown calls and misunderstanding, including one ref moving the chains after another had thrown a flag for holding. It took several minutes for them to figure out exactly where to place the chains again, and then they missed it by 5 yards--even though it was still up on the scoreboard.

JasperDog94
10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
There wasn't. From what I understand, the officials were having a (really REALLY) off night. Lots of blown calls and misunderstanding, including one ref moving the chains after another had thrown a flag for holding. It took several minutes for them to figure out exactly where to place the chains again, and then they missed it by 5 yards--even though it was still up on the scoreboard. I've run the chains on the sideline before. I've even had an official signal first down before he saw the flag. It happens sometimes. You just have to watch very closely.

slpybear the bullfan
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
The point of the rule is to:

It was a few minutes into the game... not likely but possible.

I meant to ask the HC what the crew told him... need to do so.

Reds fan
10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
From that video angle throwing a flag was ridiculous!

zebrablue2
10-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
There wasn't. From what I understand, the officials were having a (really REALLY) off night. Lots of blown calls and misunderstanding, including one ref moving the chains after another had thrown a flag for holding. It took several minutes for them to figure out exactly where to place the chains again, and then they missed it by 5 yards--even though it was still up on the scoreboard.

if a school has people on the chains that are not trained, this can happen. when I work the head-linesman position, I always tell my chain crew not to move until I wave you down. works 99.9 % of the time, but in this instance, the chain crew must have forgot. makes the officials look bad, but not always in their control. the official with the flag should whistle 4 or 5 loud ones to alert the others he has a flag on the field, which will hold the chains.