PDA

View Full Version : Hondo RB Jose Robles

Boosty_Hondo
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
anyone that lives in a the SA area put it on chanel 29 for sports they are goign to be talking abouy him and how to make him the texas player of the week

Old Green
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
The sportscaster said you could vote for him as the Texas Tough Player of the Week at one or the other site

www.texasford.com

www.coachad.com

howbout
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Jose Robles needs prayers from all. Article from the Express News this morning. I wasn't aware of this.

Didn't know if you guys were aware.

H.S. Football: After career night, Hondo running back slips into coma

Web Posted: 10/30/2007 04:06 AM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News

It was another Friday night in Hondo, and junior running back Jose Robles did what so many others had done before him.
He joined his teammates in ringing the fabled Victory Bell, commemorating another triumph for the Owls, before gathering to make plans with family.

For members of the Robles clan, that usually meant a postgame meal at Villa's, where Jose was known to polish off four bean-and-cheese tacos and a mound of fries in one sitting.

There was more to celebrate than normal. Jose had just finished the game of his life, rushing for 307 yards, catching three passes for 99 more and scoring five touchdowns to lead Hondo past Crystal City 52-35.

But Robles and his relations never made it to Villa's. They instead ended up in San Antonio, keeping vigil in the waiting room at University Hospital while Jose survived a lengthy surgical procedure to remove a blood clot from his brain.

Listed in critical condition, Robles, 16, remains in a medically induced coma.

While no immediate timetable is available, family members are cautiously optimistic he'll make a full recovery.

"So far, so good," said Enrique Robles, Jose's father. "The CT scans, the exams, everything's OK. I think he's going to be fine. I have faith. You can't explain (how hard this has been)."

"(Doctors) have expressed, preliminarily, that he should be fine," uncle Jose Ytuarte said. "But with this kind of injury, it can quickly turn. You can't help but be concerned until he actually comes out of the coma and the doctors can actually tell us what happened, what he's facing, and what we can do to help."

Both men said Robles will never play football again, even if he heals completely.

Raul Ytuarte, another uncle, said that will be a huge regret to a young man born on Super Bowl Sunday in 1991.

"He'll be disappointed," he said. "But there's another sport for my nephew (to play)."

Robles had been given the near-impossible task of replacing graduated star Andy Werner, a two-time selection to the Express-News Sub-5A All-Area team. But he was just beginning to come into his own, rushing for 207 yards against Uvalde and 239 against Pearsall.

In addition to taking him over the 1,000-yard barrier, his outburst on Friday could be the best in school history — a major achievement considering Hondo has long ranked among the best small-town programs in the San Antonio area.

"I've been doing this for 25 years, and we've never had anybody run for more than 300 yards before," team statistician Jeff Berger said.

Robles' ordeal began when he suffered a seizure inside the Hondo field house shortly after Friday's game.

"It surprised me," said teammate Matthew Rodriguez, one of the first to come to Robles' aid. "I was just trying to get him up, get him something to drink."

Though doctors aren't yet able to provide a full diagnosis, Robles apparently suffered a stroke resulting from brain trauma he sustained at some point during the game. Nobody can pinpoint exactly when the injury occurred.

Raul Ytuarte noticed his nephew began repeatedly stretching his right arm, as if adjusting his shoulder pads, in the second quarter. Several teammates remember him absorbing an especially hard tackle in the third.

Hondo coach P.J. Wells did not immediately return phone messages Monday.

Regardless of when the injury took place, enough time elapsed that doctors later drained more than two pints of blood.

"They determined that he had been bleeding for most of the night," Jose Ytuarte said. "The doctors believe that he sustained some sort of concussion. When it happened, they don't know. But he kept going until it ruptured an artery, which led to the seizure."

Team physicians Matt and Zach Windrow — former Hondo players — tended to Robles at school and then the local hospital, where they quickly stabilized him and ordered an airlift. It was that immediate attention, said family members, that saved Jose's life.

"They were with him from the moment he collapsed," Jose Ytuarte said, "to the moment he got on the helicopter."

Robles was rolled into surgery as soon as he landed in San Antonio. The procedure lasted for roughly an hour and a half.

And now, the family waits. Progress is measured in small increments, such as the feeding tube that was installed on Monday. When Jose will be well enough to return home is anybody's guess.

"They told us the first three days are critical," Raul Ytuarte said. "(Today) is the fourth day, so I'm just counting down the hours.

"Nobody expects something like this to happen to their own."

luvhoops34
10-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Somebody please keep us posted on Jose's recovery.

Gobbler Fan
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
How is this kid doing anyone know ?

Boosty_Hondo
10-30-2007, 09:56 PM
today they brought jose out of his coma and things are going good they plan on putting his skull back together on the 7th or the 10th so things are looking good so far...hurry and get better buddy

Bull Butter
10-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the update Boosty. "Putting his skull back together" does not sound good, but I'm sure he's in the best of hands and although it's sad that this young man will never play football again, it's a blessing to know that he will go on to lead a normal life. It's also pretty cool to know his football career went out with a bang!

howbout
10-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Things improved for Jose. Last nights report.

High school football: Running back remains critical but much better

Web Posted: 10/30/2007 11:17 PM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer

Injured Hondo running back Jose Robles showed significant improvement Tuesday despite remaining in critical condition at University Hospital.

Robles, who had surgery early Saturday to remove a blood clot from his brain, was brought out of his medically induced coma for about 10 minutes early Tuesday, said uncle Juan Ytuarte.

A spike in his heart rate indicated that he was able to recognize his parents, Enrique and Erlinda Robles.

“Absolutely, that was a positive,” Ytuarte said. “My sister was ecstatic; they both were. It's a good sign. He's looking good.”

Robles later was removed from the monitor registering his brain function, indication that swelling was no longer a concern. Ytuarte said doctors are planning to gradually decrease his medication over the next few days.

Robles also will be weaned off the ventilator being used to regulate his breathing, with the hope of shutting it down completely today.

Tuesday had been viewed as an important day for Robles, the first following the 72-hour critical period after his surgery.

“This was a very uplifting day,” said Raul Ytuarte, another uncle. “We're really pleased with the news we heard.”

Jose Ytuarte said there is still no definitive timetable for his nephew's recovery.

“Until he walks out of the hospital,” he said, “we're not going to relax.”

Robles, a 16-year-old junior, collapsed in the Hondo field house shortly after rushing for 307 yards and scoring five touchdowns in the Owls' 52-35 victory over Crystal City on Friday.

He was airlifted to San Antonio before surviving a lengthy surgical procedure to remove a blood clot resulting from an apparent stroke.

Jose Ytuarte said there are no clues as to when his nephew was initially injured.

“He gave no indication that he was hurt, none whatsoever,” he said. “He got up slowly a few times. But in no way was this anybody's fault.

“He set a goal for himself (rushing for 300 yards) and unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price for that. He wanted to go back in the game. You can't take that away from a kid. It was in his heart.”

Jose Ytuarte said Robles had suffered at least two previous concussions, including one during his freshman year that wiped out most of his football season and lingered into the spring. He was medically cleared to resume playing football in both instances.

“They actually took him in to San Antonio to get him checked out, and he was OK,” he said. “I don't think it had a lingering effect. Injuries like this happen at every level of the game, all the way up to the NFL.”

buff4life
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
if your selected you get a SWEET ring...

howbout
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Here is a more recent update. This afternoon.

Hondo player showing remarkable improvement

Web Posted: 10/31/2007 05:35 PM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News

Hondo junior running back Jose Robles enjoyed another day of significant improvement on Wednesday, engaging in rudimentary conversation with family members after being completely removed from the machinery that had been regulating his bodily functions.

Robles, 16, had been in a medically induced coma at University Hospital since early Saturday morning, when surgeons removed a blood clot from his brain.

"We're feeling really good, really happy," uncle Jose Ytuarte said. "He's fully alert. He knows who you are, where he's at. He just doesn't know why. It's an awesome feeling. He's ready. He's ready to take on whatever the world's going to throw at him."

Old Green
10-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Great news to hear. Glad he's doing much better.

footballgal
10-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Thank God, that's great news.

R4Editor
11-01-2007, 12:00 AM
yes very good news.

howbout
11-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Last update. Your prayers answered.

Pray for all to be safe tonight and the remainder of the season.

Good luck to all.

High school football: Family optimistic on Robles' recovery

Web Posted: 11/01/2007 11:18 PM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News staff writer

The chance to relax in a reclining chair and his first meal in five days were just a few of the milestones injured Hondo running back Jose Robles enjoyed recently as he continues to recover following emergency brain surgery.

Raul Ytuarte, one of two uncles serving as family spokesmen, said his nephew consumed two cups of gelatin, washed down with Gatorade and apple juice, on Wednesday evening.

Ytuarte said Robles then "talked all night long," recalling in detail the 52-35 victory over Crystal City on Friday in which he was apparently injured.

"He remembered he scored five touchdowns, he remembers they won, he knows that he got hurt," Ytuarte said.

Robles also recalled taking a helmet-to-helmet hit near the end of the game that was heard throughout the stadium.

"It was pretty nasty," Ytuarte said.

There is still no indication as to exactly when Robles was injured. Robles, 16, collapsed in the Hondo field house not long after the game ended. Following an airlift to University Hospital early Saturday morning, he underwent surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain.

At the request of Robles' parents, his doctors have not spoken to the media. But Ytuarte said his nephew, upgraded from critical to stable condition on Wednesday, is apparently well ahead of schedule.

"We knew (Wednesday) was good, but for everything to happen so fast, the doctors are really happy," Ytuarte said. "He came out of this a lot faster than they expected."

Ytuarte said he did not know when his nephew will begin therapy.

"They just wanted to get him a room, because he's getting close," he said.

Robles also sat in a reclining chair, allowing him to sit up for the first time.

Though his memory falters on occasion when responding to questioning, Ytuarte said, Robles has instantly recognized almost every family member and friend who has visited.

"They haven't told us anything (about his long-term recovery), but I know my nephew," Ytuarte said. "The way he's responding to questions, without thinking, I think he's going to make a complete recovery. Not any time soon. But we're headed in the right direction."

Robles honored: Robles was named the Built Ford Tough/Dallas Cowboys Texas High School Football Player of the Week for Class 3A after Friday's performance, in which he rushed for 307 yards, caught three passes for 99 yards and scored five touchdowns against Crystal City.

AP Panther Fan
11-02-2007, 08:59 AM
This is great news! I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.:)

howbout
11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
FINAL UPDATE:

Thanks to all on the 3ADL for their prayers for this young man. I know it made a difference. Quite an ordeal for him and his family.

UPDATED: High School Football: Hondo RB goes home from hospital

Web Posted: 11/13/2007 12:36 AM CST

Dan McCarney
Express-News staff writer

Little more than two weeks after surviving emergency surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain, junior Hondo running back Jose Robles returned home Monday evening after being released from University Hospital.

"We're close to tears," said Rebecca Robles, Jose's sister. "We're so happy that he's coming home. He's very excited."

Robles had been hospitalized since the early hours of Oct. 27. Apparently injured at some point during Hondo's 52-35 victory over Crystal City, he collapsed into a seizure in the locker room before being airlifted to San Antonio.

His recovery has been so rapid that his uncle Jose Ytuarte said doctors have told the family, "They haven't seen this before for this type of surgery."

"They're ecstatic about it," Ytuarte said. "It's pretty unusual. They told us he shouldn't be at this stage so quickly. He's way ahead of schedule."

Robles will be monitored to see how he adjusts to his new surroundings. He will take regular rehabilitation sessions at a facility in Hondo, focusing on his mobility and speech.

Robles will not return to school this year. His social contact also will be limited for the foreseeable future.

If his progress falters, Ytuarte said, Robles could return to the hospital.

"They just want to relieve his mind a little bit and see how he functions," he said.

Ytuarte estimated that his nephew has recovered roughly 40 percent of his faculties. Robles can walk for short periods, but only with a walker and assistance. His right eye droops slightly. He also speaks slowly and with a noticeable slur.

But as his sister stressed, such infirmities are to be expected after such a traumatic injury.

"It's a gradual process — walking, talking — and he's doing great," Rebecca said. "Everything looks really good for him."

Beyond the daily grind of rehab, Ytuarte said his nephew's next major target will come in a month, when he'll return to San Antonio to have a small piece of skull replaced. The portion, about six inches in diameter, was removed in the initial surgery. The procedure was originally slated to take place more than two months from now.

"They're going to put it back in and seal him up," Ytuarte said.

LHMom
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Wow. What a miracle! I pray his recovery continues on such a remarkable pace!

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
Wow. What a miracle! I pray his recovery continues on such a remarkable pace!
My sentiments, exactly. :)

scott Wilson
11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Tears are rolling slowly down my cheek. That proves there is a God upstairs and he does answer prayers.

44INAROW
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by scott Wilson
Tears are rolling slowly down my cheek. That proves there is a God upstairs and he does answer prayers.

amen, I hope he continues to progress :)

R4Editor
11-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My sentiments, exactly. :) same here.