PDA

View Full Version : Are Fans looking to be disrespected?

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 04:14 PM
With the thread about teams jumping on a logo at midfield, and the other one about the team going thru the stands I have to ask

Are fans today looking to disrespected, or looking into to stuff way to much and turning a small thing into bigger issues?

I dont know, it just seems more and more fans are hitting the boards calling another team/fan classless over any and all things.

I dont know if it is a way to villify the opponent, or people today are just more sensitive to things.

Like the jumping at midfield...What in the long run does that really do that is SOO BAD you have to call it classless? Is it only classless if they are doing it on a logo? If the field does not have one at the 50 and the visiting team jumps up and down at midfield, is it then ok?

Also, what if that team does that at home on their own logo? Are they disrespecting and being classless to their own town/logo?

I just think the word classless and disrespected gets thrown around WAY to much in regardfs to HS kids.

JasperDog94
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I just think the word classless and disrespected gets thrown around WAY to much in regardfs to HS kids. I don't think anyone is talking about the kids as much as they are the coaches that condone disrespectful behavior.

pirate4state
10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
:clap: :clap:

totally agree!!!!

i don't know what it is, but i'd say some people are just way to sensitive.

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I don't think anyone is talking about the kids as much as they are the coaches that condone disrespectful behavior.

Again what is so disrespectful about jumping up and down? And can you actually say you KNOW their intentions of doing it? Is it classless if they do that at home and on the road?

pirate4state
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
It sure is funny b/c I also hear alot of "it's all for the kids" well the kids are having fun jumping up & down. i think it's a waste of energy :D but if they like it and as long as they aren't directing any obsence gestures at the other team and/or their fans, what is the big deal??

:speech:

AP Panther Fan
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

totally agree!!!!

same here, everyone just needs to put on their big boy or girl pants and quit sweating the small stuff...

of course I am in a really bad mood today, so the downlow among many things has been irritating....as a matter of fact, I should probably be quiet now... ;)

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 04:26 PM
It sure is funny b/c I also hear alot of "it's all for the kids" well the kids are having fun jumping up & down. i think it's a waste of energy :D but if they like it and as long as they aren't directing any obsence gestures at the other team and/or their fans, what is the big deal??

:speech:

See when I played we did not jump up and down on any logo..We just went into the stands and stole the purses of our opponent's fans and hit them upside the head...All in a very classy way of course :D

Ranger Mom
10-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I never said a word about jumping up and down on someone's logo...that doesn't bother me....or going through the stands when the home team thinks you should be entering elsewhere....that doesn't bother me either.

The fact that players and their coaches would spit on someone elses logo IS, IMO, classless and disrespectful......and disgusting too!!!

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I never said a word about jumping up and down on someone's logo...that doesn't bother me....or going through the stands when the home team thinks you should be entering elsewhere....that doesn't bother me either.

The fact that players and their coaches would spit on someone elses logo IS, IMO, classless and disrespectful......and disgusting too!!!

now that I can understand

AP Panther Fan
10-29-2007, 04:27 PM
yes, spitting is nasty and uncalled for...

pirate4state
10-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Who said anything about spitting? :confused: ewwwww

LH Panther Mom
10-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Who remembers T.O.'s little "dance" and what was your thought when that happened?

kepdawg
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Who remembers T.O.'s little "dance" and what was your thought when that happened?

TO is a professional entertainer so he can dance all he wants to!

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
I think there were several things mentioned on the other thread that you haven't brought up.
I have to agree with you- jumping up and down mid-field whether at home or on someone else's field is not a big deal.
Someone was talking about a team spitting on the the home team's (not their own) logo on their field. That I believe is not only classless, but disgusting and gross. Do you not agree?
A Vernon poster brought up our Graham Steers entering the field through the visitor bleachers- I am not sure why- but, they seemed to think it was disrespectful. I tried to explain to them that it had nothing to do with them, that it was to be a moral booster for our team and fans- that was all and it was not a big deal.

pirate4state

We aren't talking about professionals idiots - just HS ones! :D HAHAHAHA

Txbroadcaster

mine were..Whoopity doo..and when Emmit answered him by doing it as well..another whoopity doo

And when TO did it the second time and Teague hit him..I thought Hey next time cover him before he catches the TD pass and u wont have to run 50 yards to hit him on the logo

AP Panther Fan
10-29-2007, 04:31 PM

that was over the top and disrespectful...I think that goes back to P4S's statement about directing obscene gestures to the fans or the other team..... :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
10-29-2007, 04:32 PM
We aren't talking about professionals idiots - just HS ones! :D HAHAHAHA
HS idiots grow up to be professional ones, sometimes. :devil: :devil:

AP Panther Fan
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
HS idiots grow up to be professional ones, sometimes. :devil: :devil:

if they are verrry lucky :D

pirate4state
10-29-2007, 04:35 PM
HS idiots grow up to be professional ones, sometimes. :devil: :devil: True.

Still, you know my feelings about "class" and "football"

Phil C
10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
See when I played we did not jump up and down on any logo..We just went into the stands and stole the purses of our opponent's fans and hit them upside the head...All in a very classy way of course :D

:D

3afan
10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I just think the word classless and disrespected gets thrown around WAY to much in regardfs to HS kids.

I agree - people look for things to b&m about ..... but most, if it was THEIR team doing the same things, would call it tradition or whatever

dang homers ...

JT44
10-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I think the logo thing hits a little closer to home if it's on the basketball court, football field not so much

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by JT44
I think the logo thing hits a little closer to home if it's on the basketball court, football field not so much

maybe

Old Tiger
10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm not shy about expressing my feelings and I don't care who's around.

buff4life
10-29-2007, 09:06 PM
jumping up and down on an OPPOSING teams logo nevers turns out good...its not their "house" and they should not bet able to do whatever they want, yes its disrespectful sensitive or not, and other thing isn't disrepectful at all, they are just jealous

zebrablue2
10-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
yes, spitting is nasty and uncalled for...

one of the most nasty things a person can do. agreed.....

JR2004
10-29-2007, 09:17 PM

totally agree!!!!

WAY WAY too sensitive. I've never seen the word classless used as much as it's used here.

88bobcats
10-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Hamshire-Fannett gets my vote for the classiest football team in Texas.

In Friday night's homecoming game at Orangefield, the Longhorns lost a close contest 17-14, and, like Orangefield, the 'Horns now don't have much of a chance to make the play-offs.

However, when the Bobcat players went over to the band area to sing the school song with the cheerleaders, fans, et cetera, the Longhorn team lined up on our side of the field, faced us quietly, and paid us a huge token of respect. Only after our school song finished did the Longhorn team then go over to their band and sing their school sing with their fans.

My hat's off to Coach Mangan and his players. They proved to many people that night how powerful a motivating force high school athletics can be in young men's lives. They are a disciplined, high-class program; and I have to admit that I'm a little bit envious.

Go Bobcats!
Go Longhorns!

JasperDog94
10-29-2007, 10:49 PM
My question is this:

If you go to an opposing team's logo and jump up and down on it, are you showing respect? If the answer is no, then that (by definition) is disrespectful.

Txbroadcaster
10-29-2007, 11:16 PM
My question is this:

If you go to an opposing team's logo and jump up and down on it, are you showing respect? If the answer is no, then that (by definition) is disrespectful.

Again that is using the assumption the ONLY reason ur going to jump up and down at midfield is for the direct reason to show disrespect.

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Again that is using the assumption the ONLY reason ur going to jump up and down at midfield is for the direct reason to show disrespect.
What would be "good" reasons for jumping up and down on the opponents' logo?

Gobbla2001
10-30-2007, 06:36 AM
even if there is no logo there some people will see it as disrespectful... but you have to look at the reasons they may view it as being disrespectful...

of course there's the reason you gave, because they look into things too much... but then you have the fans of schools who watch their team run straight to their own side of the field to jump around when they're visiting, but the middle of the field when at home... I rarely ever see a visiting team jump in the middle of the field if it's at the other team's stadium and that's because they're showing respect for the home team's field... so the action is for sure NOT showing respect when you jump in the middle of your opponents field...

3afan
10-30-2007, 07:46 AM
My question is this:

so, are you saying that if a team traditionally runs thru their sign then go huddle/jump/etc. at midfield, they should not do that if they are on the road and the home team's logo is at midfield?

deer spotter
10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

In Friday night's homecoming game at Orangefield, the Longhorns lost a close contest 17-14, and, like Orangefield, the 'Horns now don't have much of a chance to make the play-offs.

However, when the Bobcat players went over to the band area to sing the school song with the cheerleaders, fans, et cetera, the Longhorn team lined up on our side of the field, faced us quietly, and paid us a huge token of respect. Only after our school song finished did the Longhorn team then go over to their band and sing their school sing with their fans.

My hat's off to Coach Mangan and his players. They proved to many people that night how powerful a motivating force high school athletics can be in young men's lives. They are a disciplined, high-class program; and I have to admit that I'm a little bit envious.

Go Bobcats!
Go Longhorns!

Most of the teams in 24-3a are doing the same thing. It started at the game between Smithville and Columbus. Smithville did it first and then Columbus followed suit. What a great respectful gesture.

3afan
10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by deer spotter
Most of the teams in 24-3a are doing the same thing. It started at the game between Smithville and Columbus. Smithville did it first and then Columbus followed suit. What a great respectful gesture.

some teams have been doing that for years and years

sinton66
10-30-2007, 08:55 AM
At the highschool level, football is supposed to be about competition, sportsmanship, fair play and respect for your opponent. (May the best team win, prayers for no injuries, etc.)

Midfield is not a big deal if there is no logo as long as the team doing it is FACING their fans. If there is a logo or if they are facing the opposite stands, then YES, it is disrespectful. It's more "In your face" than "we're building team spirit".

Ranger Mom
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Who said anything about spitting? :confused: ewwwww

In this thread (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=925406)

I also remember that coming up in 2003 or 2004.....It's funny, it was only the Gainesville people that were defending it!

block&tackle
10-30-2007, 09:07 AM
With the thread about teams jumping on a logo at midfield, and the other one about the team going thru the stands I have to ask

Are fans today looking to disrespected, or looking into to stuff way to much and turning a small thing into bigger issues?

I dont know, it just seems more and more fans are hitting the boards calling another team/fan classless over any and all things.

I dont know if it is a way to villify the opponent, or people today are just more sensitive to things.

Like the jumping at midfield...What in the long run does that really do that is SOO BAD you have to call it classless? Is it only classless if they are doing it on a logo? If the field does not have one at the 50 and the visiting team jumps up and down at midfield, is it then ok?

Also, what if that team does that at home on their own logo? Are they disrespecting and being classless to their own town/logo?

From the direction this thread took, I would say that the answer to your question is YES!

RedWhiteBlue
10-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Go Bobcats!
Go Longhorns!
Graham has been doing this ever since Coach McCoy got here. He started that back at Jim Ned. It is a great show of sportsmanship- win or lose. It is a good way to end a game. So it the prayer at midfield. But I am sure that would raise some issues........

JasperDog94
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
so, are you saying that if a team traditionally runs thru their sign then go huddle/jump/etc. at midfield, they should not do that if they are on the road and the home team's logo is at midfield? yes

buff4life
10-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Go Bobcats!
Go Longhorns!

Smithville did that last year after we played them...

we played copycat and went to their sideline when they played the school song too...

3afan
10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
yes

well, the home team just has to get over that .... if they're just doing their thing like they always do and they happen to be on the logo, then so what? its just paint on grass.

buff4life
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
well, the home team just has to get over that .... if they're just doing their thing like they always od and they happen to be on the logo, then so what? its just paint on grass.

some teams cherish their "home turf", if its a neutral site its one thing, if its on an opposing teams field, go huddle in the endzone, don't start jumping all over each other at midfield on the opposing teams logo, i think thats showing them up...

JasperDog94
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
well, the home team just has to get over that .... if they're just doing their thing like they always od and they happen to be on the logo, then so what? its just paint on grass. Sinton66 said it best:

Originally posted by sinton66
At the highschool level, football is supposed to be about competition, sportsmanship, fair play and respect for your opponent. (May the best team win, prayers for no injuries, etc.)

Midfield is not a big deal if there is no logo as long as the team doing it is FACING their fans. If there is a logo or if they are facing the opposite stands, then YES, it is disrespectful. It's more "In your face" than "we're building team spirit". If high school sports are about building a sense of teamwork through fair competition and sportsmanship, then it needs to stop. There is nothing "sportsman-like" about jumping up and down on another team's mascot/logo, whether it's intended disrespect or not.

3afan
10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
well we'll just have to agree to disagree .... I just think its making alot about nothing in alot of cases

if a team is trying to disrespect their opponent by "abusing" the logo on the field, then you'll know it when you see it --- but its not always the case

Ranger Mom
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Smithville did that last year after we played them...

we played copycat and went to their sideline when they played the school song too...

As far back as I can remember...most West Texas teams have always done that!!!

Stand behind the opposing team with helmets off and raised!! I actually brought that up a few years ago and was blasted by one poster telling me how "rude" that was!!

I see it right the opposite! I see it as two teams showing respect for each other and leaving it all on the field!!!

RedWhiteBlue
10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
As far back as I can remember...most West Texas teams have always done that!!!

Stand behind the opposing team with helmets off and raised!! I actually brought that up a few years ago and was blasted by one poster telling me how "rude" that was!!

I see it right the opposite! I see it as two teams showing respect for each other and leaving it all on the field!!!
I agree, RM! And like I said- no matter the outcome of the game, it is a great way for the teams to end it.....