PDA

View Full Version : Disrespectful or No Big Deal?

JasperDog94
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
If the visiting team comes out of the locker room in the second half, marches out to midfield and jumps up and down on the home team's logo.

Thoughts?

crzyjournalist03
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If the visiting team comes out of the locker room in the second half, marches out to midfield and jumps up and down on the home team's logo.

Thoughts?

I'd go George Teague all up on them...:mad: :mad: :mad:

KingRob
10-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I think it's unnecessary. It could actually backfire if the home team gets fired up!

Phil C
10-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Very disrespectful and very poor sportsmanship.

deer spotter
10-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Thoughts?

Start no %$$^& and take no %&$^&*.

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
I think it's unnecessary. It could actually backfire if the home team gets fired up!
I agree- use it as ammo against them....... kind of like dumb stuff that kids (of the opposing teams) say on the internet or in the paper being hung in locker rooms and such before games- it can be a wonderful motivator!!!

BullFrog Dad
10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Doesn't Gainesville have a pre-game ritual of spitting on the home team's logo?

block&tackle
10-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
That wouldn't surprise me one bit but I don't remember them doing it during their one trip to Celina.

3afan
10-29-2007, 11:30 AM
no big deal .....

eagles_victory
10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
i know Marlin did it when they played in Fairfield one year but thats the only team I ever remember seeing do it

pirate4state
10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
no big deal

buff4life
10-29-2007, 12:45 PM
disrespectful...it definitely ticks the home team off...

luvhoops34
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
disrespectful and unsportsmanlike. Kinda dumb, too because it could sure backfire on you by pissing the home team off. :D

Sweetwater Red
10-29-2007, 12:50 PM
If it bothers the home team they should give the ultimate pay
back....win the game.:thinking:

BobcatBenny
10-29-2007, 12:53 PM
I think I remember Celina rubbing Gainsville's noses in their own spit that year.

JasperDog94
10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
If it bothers the home team they should give the ultimate pay
back....win the game.:thinking: First of all you're assuming that the home team isn't already trying to win.

Secondly, coaches are in the business of trying to win game WHILE AT THE SAME TIME building character in our kids. That includes teaching them the difference between right and wrong.

If it's disrespectful, then it's wrong and should be addressed by the coaching staff. If it's no big deal, then it's no big deal. That's why I posted the thread. I wanted to get a pulse for what most people felt.

lakers
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I agree- use it as ammo against them....... kind of like dumb stuff that kids (of the opposing teams) say on the internet or in the paper being hung in locker rooms and such before games- it can be a wonderful motivator!!!

I think there was a case of that during the Clyde vs. Graham game this year...

Am I right???

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by lakers

Am I right???
A case of what??

lion75
10-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I think it says more about the coaches of a team that does that than anything. They either don't have control of their team or are too stupid to know that they should stop that nonsense.

JasperDog94
10-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by lion75
I think it says more about the coaches of a team that does that than anything. They either don't have control of their team or are too stupid to know that they should stop that nonsense. That is what floors me. It all boils down to the coaching staff. Either you're going to teach the kids right and wrong or you're not.

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by lion75
I think it says more about the coaches of a team that does that than anything. They either don't have control of their team or are too stupid to know that they should stop that nonsense.
So, Lion75, we don't have to worry about you guys spitting on our new turf???

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by lakers

Am I right???
Lakers, did I miss something????

Stownhorse
10-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Thoughts?

You have to ask yourself, did they do it out of respect? or did they do it to get fired up?

Whats the difference if they do it before or after the game?

Pudlugger
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Very disrespectful and por sportsmanship. This is evidence of poor coaching if teams can get away with this sort of thing. Marlin went to the La Grange hash marks and did a dance routine before the 2002 playoff game. Luling tried to run to the mid field logo with their flag in the opening of our game a few weeks back. They got about 10 feet away and the refs who were standing there waved them off. It would have been a 15 yard penalty assessed on kickoff for sure had they not moved away. It ticked ourt guys off too and they whupped up on them pretty good with a shutout.

Ranger Mom
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

I remember us discussing that 3 or 4 years ago.

I STILL think that "ritual" is disgusting and about as classless as one can get!!!

lakers
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Lakers, did I miss something????

yeah u must have.

i will send u a pm...

JasperDog94
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
You have to ask yourself, did they do it out of respect? or did they do it to get fired up?

Whats the difference if they do it before or after the game? Does it matter if it's before or after the game? I don't feel that it should be done. Have some respect and class.

BullsFan
10-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Disrespectful and unnecessary. If it takes jumping on your opponent's mascot/emblem to get yourself fired up, there's a problem with your team. If you have something to prove, prove it by winning the game. Or at the very least showing you have class.

Edited to fix my mistake. I had Gainesville on the brain, I guess.

SpeedOption
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I think the Redskins did this at New England Sunday.

Matthew328
10-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Ennis I know during their title runs would run out to midfield and plant their flag at the opposing teams 50 yard line and then jump up and down....it would piss teams off but unfortunatley there wasn't much anyone could do about it because they were that good

WOS1
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
That is what floors me. It all boils down to the coaching staff. Either you're going to teach the kids right and wrong or you're not.

The problem with your thinking here is that right and wrong are absolutes. Jumping up and down in the middle of the field is not. You don't like it, mainly, because it was done by a team that beat your team which makes you vindictive, which is far worse than a coach that doesn't stop a kid from jumping up and down in the middle of a football field.

Most folks opinions on this are split, so there is really no clear cut right or wrong answer. You want there to be, but there isn't because most people don't really care about something so small and pointless.

Wolf Playa
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
we had a team last year that spit on each of our goal posts, dnt see the point they lost that game, 54-0

piratebg
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Is there really nothing better to talk about right now??? :confused:

JasperDog94
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
You don't like it, mainly, because it was done by a team that beat your team which makes you vindictive, which is far worse than a coach that doesn't stop a kid from jumping up and down in the middle of a football field. First of all you have no idea who I am and are making a judgment about me.

Secondly, I have nothing but respect for the accomplishments of the WOS program.

Thirdly, this has nothing to do with winning or losing. You sound very arrogant when you say that it does and that I'm being vindictive. I don't think you mean it that way, but that's the way it's coming across.

Bottom line is exactly what Sinton66 said in another thread:

Originally posted by sinton66
At the highschool level, football is supposed to be about competition, sportsmanship, fair play and respect for your opponent. (May the best team win, prayers for no injuries, etc.)

Midfield is not a big deal if there is no logo as long as the team doing it is FACING their fans. If there is a logo or if they are facing the opposite stands, then YES, it is disrespectful. It's more "In your face" than "we're building team spirit".

rhino1877
10-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Now I do understand what is being said...I do not think that another team should be able to jump up and down on another team's logo. But I have seen alot of teams go to teh middle of the field to get fired up, not just to jump on a logo. If the logo is that important, then have the officals stand there and ward off the other team. I do not think it is matter of the coaches not doing their job or teaching character.

lion75
10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
So, Lion75, we don't have to worry about you guys spitting on our new turf??? I would be ticked if our boys spit on your logo and wouldn't approve of it at all.

RedWhiteBlue
10-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I was just kidding anyway- I know the Vernon boys wouldn't do that........
I don't think anyone from our district would fall in to this category.

lion75
10-30-2007, 06:43 PM
I was just kidding anyway- I know the Vernon boys wouldn't do that........
I don't think anyone from our district would fall in to this category. I agree . The coaches in our district usually run a pretty tight ship. Someone recently complained on here about Hirschi, but I've never seen them do anything wrong.