PDA

View Full Version : SMU fired Bennett today...

kaorder1999
10-28-2007, 05:05 PM
that sucks....makes it har to coach those last four games!

JR2004
10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
They just need to drop football entirely.

3afan
10-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
They just need to drop football entirely.

thats not the answer

JR2004
10-28-2007, 05:47 PM
That wasn't an answer of how to fix their football program on my part. They just need to drop it entirely because they have no committment to winning and they treat football there like it's gymnastics. Just drop football and find another sport to get behind and fund.

Aesculus gilmus
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
http://media.www.smudailycampus.com/media/storage/paper949/news/2007/08/17/Sports/pony-Up.Campaign.In.Middle.Of.Rollout-2931376.shtml

I think their "Pony Up" (see above link) PR campaign should now be renamed "Jump the Shark" because that's what the Mustangs have done.

Of course, it could be worse. There but for the grace of God (and the lack of powerful political patrons), they could be getting slaughtered in the Big 12 every week like Baylor has been for the last 12 years.

I remember the glory years back when they were able to pay their players (for a while; sucks to get caught, though). They actually contended for the national title in the early '80s back when they had Dickerson and James in the backfield.

Snydertigersrul
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that sucks....makes it har to coach those last four games!

He should just step down and let one of the assistants finish the season. The announcement is not unexpected. Good luck to the next head coach (and he will need a lot of that).

big daddy russ
10-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Bennett is a hell of a defensive coach. I'd be surprised if he lasted too long on the open market.

g$$
10-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Bennett is a hell of a defensive coach. I'd be surprised if he lasted too long on the open market.

Agreed, will be a DC next year. SMU has fallen so far from glory years.

Snydertigersrul
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

I doubt that he will stay unemployed very long. A lot of teams would love to have a defensive coordiantor of his ability.

JR2004
10-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
I doubt that he will stay unemployed very long. A lot of teams would love to have a defensive coordiantor of his ability.

I wouldn't mind having him at UT. Firing Akina and bringing him in would be like going from Colonel Klink to General Patton. (Yep I had to borrow from a vintage Bobby Knight quote for that one.)

g$$
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I wouldn't mind having him at UT. Firing Akina and bringing him in would be like going from Colonel Klink to General Patton. (Yep I had to borrow from a vintage Bobby Knight quote for that one.)

Bennett's a former Aggie player & coach. Look out! It has happened before at both places (Koenning, Malone, etc.). Might happen again soon.