PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Vs Gonzales For 29-3a Title

JT44
10-28-2007, 03:53 PM
The Gobblers will come off of their bye week to possibly the biggest district game in the last 5 years. The Apaches are riding high at 8-1, after beating Yoakum 42-14 last week. So I guess we'll see if the Apaches are for real this year, and if the Gobblers are ready to show they still are the dominant team in the district.

Jacob Bird will bring his two Wes Welker impersonators in Bozka and Burton, and try to go to the air. While the Gobblers will probably run the ball up the Apaches gut.

I think the Gobblers jump out early and hold on for a 14 point win.

IHStangFan
10-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I voted Cuero but it would not be a huge suprise to me if the Apaches pull the upset. BUT....they'll have to prove it to me...so I'll take Cuero by 17.

JT44
10-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Gonzales is a tough place to play, no track around the field, so the fans are really close

IHStangFan
10-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JT44
Gonzales is a tough place to play, no track around the field, so the fans are really close yeah, I think I remember that stadium. Been there forever hasnt it?

JT44
10-28-2007, 04:13 PM
yup, when i played there my dad told me it was the same stadium he had went to games at, he didn't graduate, but I speculate it would have been around the mid 60's.

Some of the cuero alumni older than me may know exactly how long it's been there

gtown
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
New stands some years back but it is the same field. I think it used to have a track around it but they built the new track and field facility by the high school. The players and fans are pumped up for this game. I say the Apaches pull it out in the last quarter by 6.

Crush 'em ORANGE!!!!!

JT44
10-28-2007, 04:22 PM
If gonzales comes out like they did against yoakum they will be far behind the gobblers. they let the dawgs hang around too long, and the apache running game is gonna have to do better to even come close. cut down on the penalties also

the gobblers must stop those two wr's, no yards after catch like the dawgs gave up

gtown
10-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Apaches came off a highly emotional week with the loss of their friend and classmate. It affected the whole team and they were exhausted and had thier minds on the funeral the next day. I have never seen them take so long to get going but once they warmed up, they were gone. If I recall, Cuero let the Dawgs hang on too. The score was 49-13, and the Gonzales score was 42-14. Not too much of a difference there and let's not forget to factor in the Apaches home field.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Gobblers if get going from the start, it wont be a game. If Gonzales hangs around early it could get interesting.

gobbler grad
10-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Will go back and forth for awhile, but Gobblers pull it out in the end...42-35

GO GOBBLERS...:clap:

It's a few days after Halloween, anything can happen...:eek:

bigcat8
10-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Didn't Texas Football Magazine pick the Apaches to finish 4th in 29AAA.... They were way off......Has the makings for a great game.......Good luck to Coach Reeve and Coach Lock and both teams........

29-3aFAN
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I have to go with Cuero by 25. Gonzales game versus Yoakum was to close. Yoakum fell apart then the Apaches put up the points. Cuero will not fall apart and are explosive.

CueroDad2006
10-28-2007, 07:25 PM
This will be a good game.
I think this game will be alot closer than most in Cuero want it to be.
I dont see Gonzales stoping the Gobblers when they have the ball. A good passing game gave Cuero fits (Bay City),so if the Apaches have a shot they have to outscore the Gobblers.I'll say Cuero 35-28 with a late Gonzales TD. I also hope the Refs. come from a chapter the Gobblers have seen this year.Or it could be even closer.

Pudlugger
10-28-2007, 11:21 PM
The Leps lost to Gonzales 27-21 when time ran out withLa Grange threatening on the 3 yard line. The Leps gave up an easy td when Dockery let a lateral pass he dropped get picked up and run in. He thought it was an incomplete pass.:doh: That was the margin of victory.

I think Cuero wins by 2 tds.

Lombardi
10-28-2007, 11:23 PM
pulling for the apaches in a close one....

Old Green
10-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by JT44
yup, when i played there my dad told me it was the same stadium he had went to games at, he didn't graduate, but I speculate it would have been around the mid 60's.

Some of the cuero alumni older than me may know exactly how long it's been there Always been the same since the 60's. Stands were updated though.
Being so close to the field make it a very loud stadium volume wise. can be deafening for the team on the field.

gtown
10-29-2007, 09:42 AM
It will be LOUD!!! Can't wait! Still say Apaches by a touchdown in the 4th.

HM33
10-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I think it will be a good game for the first quarter and half of the second. I say Cuero by 19

KingRob
10-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Gonzales will play good in the first half, and they will score some. However, Cuero is too strong and the defense will tighten up in the second half.

Cuero - 48
Gonzales - 20

JT44
10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad2006
This will be a good game.
I think this game will be alot closer than most in Cuero want it to be.
I dont see Gonzales stoping the Gobblers when they have the ball. A good passing game gave Cuero fits (Bay City),so if the Apaches have a shot they have to outscore the Gobblers.I'll say Cuero 35-28 with a late Gonzales TD. I also hope the Refs. come from a chapter the Gobblers have seen this year.Or it could be even closer.

the apache passing game is more like a running game. a lot of quick outs and passes along the line of scrimmage. when they went deep yoakum was able to cover b/c the only thing those wr's lack is height. the one time they were wide open was in the red zone when yoakum blew coverage. but it's nothing like bay city.
the refs will probably be from austin, cuero had austin refs at LH

gtown
10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
The fact that they are fierce rivals makes the game more interesting. You can't just throw out stats but everyone knows that each team will run faster and hit harder when playing a rival. Cuero should not take Gonzales defense lightly. The Apache safety is the leading tackler for the district and the linebackers are pretty tough. No, Gonzales has not played Bay City or LH but have played some tough opponents. It sounds like Cuero fans want to believe it is going to be an easy game and I say just keep believing that. It will make victory sweeter!!

JT44
10-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by gtown
The fact that they are fierce rivals makes the game more interesting. You can't just throw out stats but everyone knows that each team will run faster and hit harder when playing a rival. Cuero should not take Gonzales defense lightly. The Apache safety is the leading tackler for the district and the linebackers are pretty tough. No, Gonzales has not played Bay City or LH but have played some tough opponents. It sounds like Cuero fans want to believe it is going to be an easy game and I say just keep believing that. It will make victory sweeter!!

Hardly the case, I for one know it will be a tough game, I went to the Yoakum game and have kept up with gonzales all season, I know that some of the basketball players are pretty good athletes and when I knew a lot of them would be playing that meant cuero's run thru district would be a lot tougher.

but the fact that the safety is the leading tackler just tells me he either lines up at lb a lot or the lb's are not pulling their weight.

cuero players, coaches, and fans all know the importance of this game. the team was already preparing before the off week for gonzales

Common opponents so far
LaVernia
Palacios
Yoakum
all wins for both teams, but the fact that Palacios runs the ball and kept it close is the game for the gobblers to look at.
the gobblers rb's are much more of a threat than the palacios rb.

Lombardi
10-29-2007, 11:17 AM
JT... On another thread earlier in the year, didn't you say Gonzales would nose dive in district and not finish strong???Congrats to Gonzales they are 8-1 at this point in 07 and were 3-6 in 06 with the same schedule..Good luck to both teams friday night and in the playoffs!

JT44
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
yeah I probably did, I was wrong, maybe the nosedive begins friday and two weeks later when they lose to Ingleside!

;)

gtown
10-29-2007, 12:18 PM
or maybe you're just wrong again! You seem to be wrong a lot.

Lombardi
10-29-2007, 12:52 PM
JT doesn't seem to want anyone but Cuero to have success... You would think fans of schools in 29AAA would want all of their representatives in the playoffs to have success. It just makes the entire district look stronger... Good luck to the Apaches and Gobblers in the playoffs!! Represent 29AAA with pride..

KingRob
10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Even DCTF picked Gonzales to finish 4th. An 8-1 record with a first year coach is impressive. I for one don't mind other schools having success. I think it's great if Palacios makes it into the playoffs for the first time in a long, long time. Of course it looks good to have 3 good teams from your district going into the playoffs, but in the long run, you really only care about your team.

Gonzales has improved, but they barely beat Palacios, and they aren't gonna beat the Gobblers!! IMO!!

gtown
10-29-2007, 01:47 PM
You can't go by just that. Anything can happen in high school football. Gonzales skirted by Palacios, Palacios skirted by Goliad, Gonzales beat Goliad 70-14. Just proves my point, anything can happen in high school football including Apaches beating the Gobblers in a year when the Tribe is 8-1.

KingRob
10-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Four more days and we'll see!

Let's Go Cuero!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

JT44
10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Lombardi
JT doesn't seem to want anyone but Cuero to have success... You would think fans of schools in 29AAA would want all of their representatives in the playoffs to have success. It just makes the entire district look stronger... Good luck to the Apaches and Gobblers in the playoffs!! Represent 29AAA with pride..

Cuero's my team,my town, I am a fan of the Gobblers, I keep up with 29-3a, and if the district as a whole did well, that's fine but

why should I a class of 1997 graduate of Cuero High School care about the rest of the schools in the district.

The district doesn't win any titles together.... this isn't pee wee soccer, there is a definite winner

JT44
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
or maybe you're just wrong again! You seem to be wrong a lot.

Maybe I have my opinions and voice them here.....I didn't start posting here only when my team was 7-1, then all of a sudden there's some gonzales fans around here

where was your posts last year at 3-7?

you guys are good, but this is exactly why of all the teams in the district, I hope Cuero whoops up on Gonzales the most of all

gtown
10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Do you think that just because you have more posts that you are more important? What is your deal with Gonzales? Sounds like you have anger management issues or you are just young. For your sake, I hope you are just young and learn to manage it. Were you on the Gobbler team in 2001 when the Apaches were undefeated district champs? We have not had a chance to beat Cuero since then, but this year we do. Bottom line is that we will see on Friday. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it and says congrats to Cuero for a hard fought game. Will you be able to do that?

JT44
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Do you think that just because you have more posts that you are more important? What is your deal with Gonzales? Sounds like you have anger management issues or you are just young. For your sake, I hope you are just young and learn to manage it. Were you on the Gobbler team in 2001 when the Apaches were undefeated district champs? We have not had a chance to beat Cuero since then, but this year we do. Bottom line is that we will see on Friday. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it and says congrats to Cuero for a hard fought game. Will you be able to do that?
1. no, it's just funny how all of a sudden gonzales is winning and you show up, I come here for the info and friendly banter
2. they're probably our biggest rival
3. no anger management issues, and I'm 28
4. I was graduating college in 2001
5. IF gonzales wins, I can congratulate them also, I've shook hands with players on your basketball team and congratulated them personally, heck one of your guys, Rockeem Collins, was on my summer basketball league team I coached two years ago

Back to football now .......

I'm done

Gobbla2001
10-29-2007, 06:18 PM
I would say Cuero 49 Gonzales 21 with the way these two teams are, but I'm not stupid... The game is in Gonzales...

Cuero could have 600 yards a game, allow only 7 points a game and have no fumbles on the year, but can go into Gonzales and put up 250 yards, allow 27 points and put the ball on the ground 7 times, no matter HOW good Gonzales is... they could be rated the worst team in the state but will play like they're the Patriots against Cuero, esspecially in Gonzales...

that place scares the crap out of me...

In '98 Gonzales didn't even make the playoffs, weren't even in contention for a playoff spot if I'm not mistaken (three clear frontrunners)... Cuero went to the state championship game...

But what was the Cuero/Gonzales score IN Gonzales that year? 22-21 Gonzo...

I'm not being all doom-and-gloom here, I wouldn't be shocked if Cuero went out there and ended up leaving the Apaches laid out on the ground lookin' for some smellin' sauce when it's all said and done... then again, I wouldn't be all too shocked if Gonzales ended up winning this game AND district... it has nothing to do with Cuero not being the better team, because I believe they are... but in Gonzales, against a GOOD Gonzales team? It's hard to be the better team THAT night...

Come out hard, Cuero... make 'em have to pull each other out the dirt every play... make 'em remember the back of your jerseys high-tailin' it into the endzone... make 'em come back down to earth... but whatever you do, don't go in there bringing your "B" game, I don't care how much better than them you think you are... because you'll have given away your 6th straight district title...

Scalp them, boys, not the other way around...

GreenMachine
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
I know that Gonzales is good this year, but I saw earlier that the safety is the leading tackler...not good. He will be seeing the backs of our RB's all night. Cuero by 21!

44INAROW
10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I know that Gonzales is good this year, but I saw earlier that the safety is the leading tackler...not good. He will be seeing the backs of our RB's all night. Cuero by 21!

bout time you showed back up............. :D

piratebg
10-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Just out of curiousity, but when was the last time Gonzales beat Cuero?

Gobbla2001
10-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Just out of curiousity, but when was the last time Gonzales beat Cuero?

'02... like 42 or so to 13? 14? in Cuero... weird story behind that one...

Gobbla2001
10-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Were you on the Gobbler team in 2001 when the Apaches were undefeated district champs? We have not had a chance to beat Cuero since then

you guys beat us in '02... I'd say you had a chance then?

since moving back down to 3A in '98, Gonzales has beaten Cuero 4 times and Cuero has beaten Gonzales 5...

Gonzales: '98, '99, '01, '02
Cuero: '00, '03-current

gtown
10-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Sorry. I thought the last time was in '01. I just knew it was awhile since we won.

Lombardi
10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Was Coach Littleton the Coach at Cuero At that time???

Old Green
10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Was Coach Littleton the Coach at Cuero At that time??? He was the coach in 99, 2000, & 2001

Gobbla2001
10-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
He was the coach in 99, 2000, & 2001

and 2002 (the year we started out 0-4 but finished 5-6... the last year Gonzales beat Cuero)...

My senior year (2000) had to have been one of the most exciting Gonzales/Cuero games...

Gonzales was a very good team... they were the only 3A team to beat La Grange that year (La Grange won state)...

The game was in Cuero... for some reason this was the only game we really got hyped up for and felt like winning (9-2 record that year)...

Gonzales had Eleby (is that the correct spelling?)... he was a very good TB... speed... size... knew which holes to hit and what to do with it after hittin' 'em...

The game started off with him running a long one on us... 7-0 Gonzales...

We ended up scoring later on to make it 7-7...

Chris Taylor (Cuero) intercepted a pass in the 3rd quarter and took it either into the endzone or to the two where we later scored (I forget, will have to review the highlight tape)...

Anyway... we had Gonzales locked down at their own two when Eleby struck again... he took the ball down to the Cuero 1 before FINALLY being tackled... then it happens...

Gonzales ran the ball... stuffed... 2nd and goal... ran again... stuffed... 3rd and goal... ran again... stuffed... 4th and goal... attempted a field goal... blocked...

Final Cuero 14 Gonzo 7...

that was a tense game... it had rained that week... I remember looking at the field the next day after Saturday practice and it looked like we had let loose some elephants to run around out there for a week... that was a battle...

Centextrash
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
I know GOnzales's record is good...but they haven't played anyone....

Cuero by 21.

Gobbla2001
10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash

Cuero by 21.

I hope you're right, really do...

I'm thinking more of a 3 point cuero win...

I can't wait... Cuero/Gonzales IN Gonzales is the most intense football atmosphere I've ever stepped into... Gonzales digs down deep in these games... and it always seems that Cuero is 'just along for the ride'...

ughhh

Lombardi
10-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Your right.. sinton 1-7 and stafford 0-8 are impressive foes...
Originally posted by Centextrash
I know GOnzales's record is good...but they haven't played anyone....

Cuero by 21.

Gobbla2001
10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Your right.. sinton 1-7 and stafford 0-8 are impressive foes...

YOU'RE right... La Vernia (6-2) and Liberty Hill (undefeated, defending state champs) are so unimpressive...

IHStangFan
10-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I find it hard to pick against Cuero...BUT...I don't think they'll just roll through Gonzales by a large margin. This game will be a good one I'm willing to bet.

Lombardi
10-31-2007, 01:01 AM
LaVernia is 6-2..... They lost to Cuero and.....Gonzales... Thanks for making my point....
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
YOU'RE right... La Vernia (6-2) and Liberty Hill (undefeated, defending state champs) are so unimpressive...

44INAROW
10-31-2007, 08:08 AM
LaVernia is 6-2..... They lost to Cuero and.....Gonzales... Thanks for making my point....
and what was the Gonzales/LaVernia score? I forget?

as usual, I am not making any prediction on the game - but I think it's going to be closer than alot of folks think.. I hope Cuero wins........

gtown
10-31-2007, 08:21 AM
and 2002 (the year we started out 0-4 but finished 5-6... the last year Gonzales beat Cuero)...

My senior year (2000) had to have been one of the most exciting Gonzales/Cuero games...

Gonzales was a very good team... they were the only 3A team to beat La Grange that year (La Grange won state)...

The game was in Cuero... for some reason this was the only game we really got hyped up for and felt like winning (9-2 record that year)...

Gonzales had Eleby (is that the correct spelling?)... he was a very good TB... speed... size... knew which holes to hit and what to do with it after hittin' 'em...

Chris Taylor (Cuero) intercepted a pass in the 3rd quarter and took it either into the endzone or to the two where we later scored (I forget, will have to review the highlight tape)...

Anyway... we had Gonzales locked down at their own two when Eleby struck again... he took the ball down to the Cuero 1 before FINALLY being tackled... then it happens...

Gonzales ran the ball... stuffed... 2nd and goal... ran again... stuffed... 3rd and goal... ran again... stuffed... 4th and goal... attempted a field goal... blocked...

that was a tense game... it had rained that week... I remember looking at the field the next day after Saturday practice and it looked like we had let loose some elephants to run around out there for a week... that was a battle...

Did you know that Justin Eleby was in a tragic accident (head on with an 18-wheeler) and passed away this year? He is an Apache legend and is greatly missed.

44INAROW
10-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Did you know that Justin Eleby was in a tragic accident (head on with an 18-wheeler) and passed away this year? He is an Apache legend and is greatly missed.

I was going to mention that but I wasn't 100% sure if I had the correct young man's name. I was going to Austin that morning for a meeting and was rerouted via Highway90A due to that horrible accident. Seems he about to become a coach..

gtown
10-31-2007, 08:55 AM
It was tragic. The 18-wheeler was filled with some type of explosive devices when they hit head on early one morning on 183. Bomb squads had to be brought in and the explosives had to be removed. It was terrible for the family and community. He was an awesome football player and would have been a great coach.

Highschoolfan78
10-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Was this the same year as the Luling Mudbowl? I remember that being a sloppy mess in Luling.

Old Tiger
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
I'll go with the Apaches in an upset.

GreenMachine
10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
bout time you showed back up............. :D Work slowed down our internet useage considerably. At home, in the country, we have EXTREMELY slow dial up...nough said. :D

Gobbla2001
10-31-2007, 11:43 PM

wow... I am sorry for the Apache family's loss... he was an awesome athlete and I am more than sure a great person...

I remember when we did the whole "line-up and shake hands" deal at the end of the game... he wasn't the happiest camper, but gave us a "good luck the rest of the way"...

Gobbla2001
10-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Was this the same year as the Luling Mudbowl? I remember that being a sloppy mess in Luling.

'00? yes... it was the Mud-Bowl for sure... we honestly thought the game would be canceled... the lightning was very dominant in the fading daylight on our drive over there... it calmed down before sundown and there was only light rain the whole game... it was very mudy, very wet... neither team could do anything really, but we managed 10 points... enough for the win (Luling 0)

Highschoolfan78
11-01-2007, 12:53 AM
'00? yes... it was the Mud-Bowl for sure... we honestly thought the game would be canceled... the lightning was very dominant in the fading daylight on our drive over there... it calmed down before sundown and there was only light rain the whole game... it was very mudy, very wet... neither team could do anything really, but we managed 10 points... enough for the win (Luling 0)

haha ok.. i thought that was the same year... it's amazing that the game began like you said. Gonzales has to be the toughest stadium in our district(if not region) to play at. The cheerleaders just better have eyes in the back of their heads or they may get clipped accidentally.

Gobbla2001
11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
The cheerleaders just better have eyes in the back of their heads or they may get clipped accidentally.

for real... it's one thing that there's no track, that usually puts the fans closer to start, but then factor in that the sideline is about as deep as a regular sidewalk and there is not room...

I think that's why they dropped down from 4A in '98, the UIL was getting complaints from teams and refs about there not being enough room on the sideline for larger enrollment schools...

Old Green
11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Game Day:cheerl: :cheerl: :wave:

bigcat8
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Will many Cuero fans show up?? They are predicted to win by a lot, surely they will save their gas on this one..........

44INAROW
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by bigcat8
Will many Cuero fans show up?? They are predicted to win by a lot, surely they will save their gas on this one..........

I take it you've not been to many Cuero games? The Cuero fans will be there - early and alot of them