PDA

View Full Version : need camcorder recommendations

Dogman_1969
10-28-2007, 03:53 PM
My wife tapes all of our boys' sports events and other family events. Saturday her camcorder quit working and we missed taping the youngest boy's game. We are going to buy a camcorder before Friday night's game with Cameron and would like to hear any recommendations from fellow videographers who tape sports, especially at night games. She had a miniDV tape model, I think panasonic and it lasted about 2 1/2 years.

Dogman_1969
10-28-2007, 08:25 PM
btt????

Snyder_TigerFan
10-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I don't have a recomendation, but those HD camcorders have been catching my eye. The price is starting to come down on them, but I think the technology on them is still a little new.

bigron15
10-28-2007, 09:45 PM
whatever you do, dont get caught taping the opposing coaches signals!!!

Dogman_1969
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Already did. Stopped the game in China Spring a few weeks ago.......

gatordaze
10-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Many teams use this camera for their game films.

For the professional, the XH G1 combines a wealth of features with the outstanding performance of a 3 CCD, High Definition camcorder. The excellence of the XH G1 begins with their Genuine Canon 20x HD zoom lens with Professional L Series Fluorite. Super-Range Optical Image Stabilization corrects for a wide range of camera movement and vibration, and Instant AF (Auto Focus) ensures ultra-quick, accurate focus. The DIGIC DV II HD image processor then ensures improved color reproduction and noise reduction - for a final result that is the zenith of image quality. If you need advanced image control, the XH G1 gives you features that let you make manual adjustments to fine-tune your video. If you prefer to concentrate on your subject and let your camcorder take care of exposure and image controls, the XH G1 lets you do that as well. Plus, Canon's Professional Jackpack on the XH G1 gives HD-SDI Out, SD-SDI, SMPTE Time Code In/Out (selectable) and Genlock Input capabilities - a feature unmatched in this category of camera. With a wide range of features and optional accessories, the XH G1 is a versatile, flexible and powerful performer that is sure to meet your uncompromising standards.

Old Tiger
10-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Click Here DogMan (http://www.google.com/products?q=HD+DVD+camcorder&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLJ&um=1)

Those are the way to go now days.

Dogman_1969
10-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Man you guys are killing me and my wallet. I have heard that the way to go is HiDef with a HD\Disc inside. I guess we'll have one before the game Friday night.

Thanks for the input.....

LH Panther Mom
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
My husband uses Canon. The "new" one is 0500 model.

redant1
10-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
My wife tapes all of our boys' sports events and other family events. Saturday her camcorder quit working and we missed taping the youngest boy's game. We are going to buy a camcorder before Friday night's game with Cameron and would like to hear any recommendations from fellow videographers who tape sports, especially at night games. She had a miniDV tape model, I think panasonic and it lasted about 2 1/2 years.

Same thing happened to me recently and had the same dilema. I knew I was tired of tapes and extra media to buy so I was set on getting a camcorder with a hard drive. In my search I opted to get a JVC 30GB HD Everio model. In comparison to Sony (my other option) it is almost identical. The only major (if that) is that Sony's image stabilization is some what better but the JVC was significantly cheaper in price. I use a tri-pod so this was not an issue for me. The JVC camcorder saves the videos in mpeg format and it gives you the option of recording in 4:3 or 16:9 formats. I record exclusively in 16:9 format and did run into a problem initially. For some reason (probably a bug) the file does not have the "wide screen" flag set in the mpeg file and it also stores the file with the "MOD" extension. The extension is not a problem as all you have to do is rename the extension. Somebody figured the problem out for us (jvc users) and wrote a simple conversion program which simply adds the wide screen flag and changes the extension to mpg. Over all, I have no complains with this camera as the video quality is excellent. I then use Ulead's Video Studio to edit and then burn the wide screen dvd's.

Dogman_1969
10-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Would the JVC camera save a football game into multiple mpegs due to pause and start\stops? If so are you editing it and making a smooth transition DVD using the software?

Thanks,

You guys are better than Consumer Reports......

redant1
10-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Would the JVC camera save a football game into multiple mpegs due to pause and start\stops? If so are you editing it and making a smooth transition DVD using the software?

Thanks,

You guys are better than Consumer Reports......

Yes, everytime you stop you end that mpeg file. The file itself has a date/time stamp thus keeping them in order is no problem. Yes, I used Ulead's Video Studio to edit the file(s) and implement the transitions to blend them together. The camera itself has software built in to edit and burn directly from the camcorder . I've never used it so I cannot say anything good or bad. I like the external software because it give me all the flexibility to do what I want.