PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW(Week 9): Rio Hondo Bobcats(2-0,8-0) @ Port Isabel Tarpons(3-0,6-2)

R4Editor
10-27-2007, 11:52 PM
This is the game the 3a fans in the valley have been waiting for and its finally here and both teams have gone thru district unbeaten to setup the battle for the district title.
Rio Hondo comes in unbeaten and allowing the fewest points in the region with 33 points, an avg of 4.12 P/G. Bobcats defense has been impressive allowing no 100 yd rushers this season so far. Raymondville Orlando Mesa has the most yards against the stingy Bobcats defense with 87 yards. Only team to pass for more than 81 yards against Rio Hondo was Lyford Johnny Esparza with 213 yards. One last note on Rio Hondo defense is the last game they played was the first time somebody scored on them in the 2nd half, Hidalgo managed a FG in the 3rd Qtr of that game. Offensively the Bobcats have cooled down some from the start of the season, but that could be from not having QB Joseph Vela for last few games. Vela has passed for 550 yds and 5 Tds this season and rushed for 483 yds and 9 Tds. Rb Jacob Martinez has rushed for 879 yds and 14 tds. Bobcats avg. 266 yds on the ground.(If Vela does play in this game, Bobcats could return to their high scoring offensive games.)

Port Isabel comes in riding a 5 game winning streak in which they have avg 32.4 p/g and scoring at least 28 pts in each game. Defensively last 5 games giving up only 9.4 p/g and most points given up in that stretch was 17 against Hidalgo last week. Tarpons defense have given up some 100 yd games to some good runners this year but i have seen them once and noticed they well run blitz if needed. Offensively the Tarpons have a player that can break a run from anywhere on the field in Rb Nolan Nunez. Nunez is coming off a 248 yard game last week. Nunez has been held to less than a 100 yards only once this year against Edcouch-Elsa(87 yards). Nolan Nunez is 4th in the region in rushing with 1378 yards and has scored 18 Tds. Rb David Alaniz and Deigo Garcia have each scored 5 Tds this year. Tarpons avg. 270.8 yds p/g rushing.
My pick is a defensive battle with Rio Hondo coming out on top 21-14.
Discuss who wins and why:

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm gonna take Rio Hondo. As far as the valley is concerned I think they're the only real deal team outa that area this year. I think they may go a couple of rounds deep. That being said...

RH 28
PI 17

footballgal
10-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Is it a Homer pick, if you really think your team can win? ;)

I think Tarpons D will step up to the challenge and Tarpons explosive O gets the node over Rio Hondo's. Tarpons by 7

footballgal
10-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Hey Region IV editor will you be making this game?

R4Editor
10-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Is it a Homer pick, if you really think your team can win? ;)

I think Tarpons D will step up to the challenge and Tarpons explosive O gets the node over Rio Hondo's. Tarpons by 7 It seems the Tarpons have improved from when i saw them against West Oso and wouldnt be suprised they pulled off a upset. Havent seen Rio Hondo, so hard to compare if they resemble teams i have seen go deep in the playoffs, can only go by numbers and they look impressive. This is my first choice of 3 games i thinking of picking from to attend and post during the game. Cuero @ Gonzales and Ingleside @ West Oso is the other 2. NYYankee clean out ur pm box, cant send u a reply.

NewYorkYankee
10-28-2007, 01:44 AM
I really dont think it would be an upset if PI wins the game. Both teams are evenly matched. I have seen Rio Hondo play 3 times and PI 3 times as well....It will be a battle of Defense(Rio Hondo) vs Offense(PI). PI has only lost to EE in a close match who have only lost to Weslaco and West Oso who could very well be the Champs of their district...most of PI's games have been very intense and close and I think this gives them an advantage in a game as crucial such as this......Playing in PI will only fuel their desire to retain their Crown. Here's a statistic...each game PI has lost Nolan Nunez was out the last part of the game....PI could very well be undefeated......but all stats. aside in a game like this throw it all away..it will be a close game.

The last time I saw PI play a game where for 4 quarters they play with intensity was against Edcouch Elsa and I believe this is the game I will see that again and RH had better be ready cuz if not they are in for trouble and the Tarpons will run away with this one.

Tarpons 35
RH 21

Johnny 5
10-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm gonna take Rio Hondo. As far as the valley is concerned I think they're the only real deal team outa that area this year. I think they may go a couple of rounds deep. That being said...

RH 28
PI 17

+1

Bull Butter
10-28-2007, 08:02 AM
I agree with Yankee, it would not be an upset if Port Isabel wins.

Yes, Rio Hondo has run up some impressive stats on the season. They also have not played the likes of Edcouch-Elsa or West Oso, which were Port Isabel's only 2 losses(both in close games, one in OT).

This is very nearly the same scenario as last year. RH had the big stats, due to a weak schedule. PI had 2 losses, early on in the season, and were written off by many people. PI went into Rio Hondo and won 28-21. This year the game is in Port Isabel.

Lastly, if one can get away from the huge wins RH put up over horrible teams like St. Joseph(winless), Roma(winless) and look at the 3 common opponents both teams have faced this season, one would see that the two teams are virtually the same.

VALLEY VIEW:
RH 35-3
PI 44-0

RAYMONDVILLE:
RH 33-7
PI 37-13

HIDALGO:
RH 24-10
PI 28-17

COMBINED AVERAGE SCORE VS. 3 COMMON OPPONENTS:
RH 31-7
PI 36-10

My Pick: Port Isabel 20, Rio Hondo 14

R4Editor
10-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I agree with Yankee, it would not be an upset if Port Isabel wins.

Yes, Rio Hondo has run up some impressive stats on the season. They also have not played the likes of Edcouch-Elsa or West Oso, which were Port Isabel's only 2 losses(both in close games, one in OT).

This is very nearly the same scenario as last year. RH had the big stats, due to a weak schedule. PI had 2 losses, early on in the season, and were written off by many people. PI went into Rio Hondo and won 28-21. This year the game is in Port Isabel.

Lastly, if one can get away from the huge wins RH put up over horrible teams like St. Joseph(winless), Roma(winless) and look at the 3 common opponents both teams have faced this season, one would see that the two teams are virtually the same.

VALLEY VIEW:
RH 35-3
PI 44-0

RAYMONDVILLE:
RH 33-7
PI 37-13

HIDALGO:
RH 24-10
PI 28-17

COMBINED AVERAGE SCORE VS. 3 COMMON OPPONENTS:
RH 31-7
PI 36-10

My Pick: Port Isabel 20, Rio Hondo 14 yes, i looked at their common opponents and looked at how some certain players performed against Rio Hondo and PI. It looked as even as it gets, but defensively Rio Hondo hasnt given up much, point wise and yardage wise and that is was i think seperates these two teams. Rio Hondo could be doing better offensively if they had QB Joseph Vela running the offense. Schedule wise you can only play what was there for you when the season started and come playoff time hope it is good enough to prepare you to compete against the other playoff teams. I hoping i can make this game but wont know til tommorrow if i can get off a couple of hours early from work; otherwise, their is two other games just as good.

Darren
10-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Port Isabel by 7

Johnny 5
10-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Vela will be playing. He played against Hidalgo as well

gobbler grad
10-28-2007, 01:48 PM
gotta go with the Tarpons...:clap:

Cats Fan
10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
PI is going down...it will be a tough game, but the Bobcats will pull it out. The D will stay strong and the O will pull out some big plays to finish the game!

28-21

KingRob
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm going with Rio Hondo. It will be a good game, but RH will pull it out in the end.

Rio Hondo - 27
Port Isabel - 21

footballgal
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
WHAT TIME IS IT?

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8762/tarpontimeee8.png

TARPON TIME!

black bear
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Looking at what both sides are saying it tough to say who will win. I have not been fortunate enough to see RH play this year, but iI did see PI @ WO,and was impressed with PI. Looking @ both schedules it seems RH has the easier of the 2. I think the 2 losses PI has had this year will help them in a close 7 point win. I believe when playing a tight game RH will press and make mistakes that PI will take advantage of. Its hard to tell what a team does when put in a position it hs faced all year.

PI 27
RH 20

Johnny 5
10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Ok. So right now we have

RH:

Vela - 573 Passing/483 Rushing
Martinez - 916 Rushing/15 TD
David - 412 Rushing/5 TD
Eizember - 226 Receiving/4 TD
de la Cruz - 194 Receiving/1 TD

Total: 2,384 Yards/25 TD

PI:

Alaniz - 736 Passing/136 Rushing
Nunez - 1379 Rushing/18 TD
Maddox - 239 Receiving/2 TD
Garcia - 166 Receiving/1 TD
Delgado - 126 Receving/1 TD

Total: 2,251 Yards/22 TD's

footballgal
10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Those are pretty close stats, rite there.

R4Editor
10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Those are pretty close stats, rite there. will the Tarpons be wearing those uniforms in ur signature? They look cool. :cool:

chito
10-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I think stats and records go out the window when these two come together. I'd say right now that they are too evenly matched to pick a winner. It's going to come down to who executes better throughout the entire game. It will be one heck of a game though.

footballgal
10-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
will the Tarpons be wearing those uniforms in ur signature? They look cool. :cool:

Yes, they are at home so they will be wearing these unis.

sotxrat
10-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I really think this will be a great south texas high school football ball game. The stadium in PI will be rocking and rolling. I will go with PI for two reasons, playing at home and experience/tradition. But good luck to both teams and hope the game is completed injury free.

footballgal
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1193464640-pirgv.jpg
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/perales_862___article.xml/isabel_port.html

http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1193804512-riohondod.jpg
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/rio_860___article.xml/hondo_defense.html

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9246/alaniztz4.jpg
http://www.rgvsports.com/sports/alaniz_854___article.xml/last_game.html

http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1193630269-vela.jpg
http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/vela_848___article.xml/game_one.html

footballgal
11-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Can't any closer than that 18-20

footballgal
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
WELCOME R4EDITOR TO THIS GAME. Which side will you be sitting at?

pirate4state
11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Good Luck Tarpons!

Johnny 5
11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
a little over 24 hours . . . can't wait!

footballgal
11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Seawall Rising

http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1193945719-portisabel1copy.jpg
Port Isabel defenders James Delgado, Clemente Valdez and Osiel Perales are just three members of the Seawall Defense that will take on Rio Hondo Friday.
Theresa Najera/Valley Morning Star

SEAWALL RISING
Port Isabel defense relies on tradition
By ELADIO JAIMEZ

Nov 1, 2007 2:32 pm

PORT ISABEL — When Clemente Valdez is at school, all he hears about is that Port Isabel Tarpon tradition.
When he goes home, he hears it some more.
And the Tarps defensive back loves every second of it.
Valdez, whose father Clemente sr. played for the Tarpons in the 1980s, is a three-year starter at defensive back for the Tarpons.
Like pops in his day, Valdez jr. is a proud member of that famed Seawall Defense.
He's currently one of three three-year starters – along with linebacker Osiel Perales and safety James Delgado – on head coach Monty Stumbaugh's unit and he just absolutely loves talking Tarpon Football.
"We've been hearing about it since the seventh grade," the younger Valdez said about the PI tradition. "It's pressure but we're used to it. It just comes with the territory."
The Seawall gets its biggest test of the season when the Rio Hondo Bobcats visit Tarpon Stadium on Friday in the Valley Morning Star's Game of the Week.
Rio Hondo comes in averaging 354.9 yards per game, good enough for third in 32-3A. Even PI's offense ranks higher.
But the Bobcats' well-oiled and well-balanced offensive attack can score points.
Rio Hondo leads the league and is second in the Valley with 338 points (42.3 per game) scored so far.
PI yields a third-best 223.3 yards per game this season.
"They're a very good team and if we don't take care of our responsibilities on defense, it's going to hurt us," Stumbaugh said. "The next thing you know they're playing the fight song and it won't be ours."
The Seawall D is aware of the Bobcats' talent and looks forward to the challenge.
"We just have to do what the coaches tell us," Delgado said. "We can't be out there doing our own thing. We have to contain that quarterback."
The QB in question would be the versatile Joseph Vela. The guy can throw, run and even plays some on defense.
"They're just an all around good team," Valdez said. "We have to get some stops and keep their offense off the field. It's going to be our biggest challenge yet. That's for sure."
A PI win gives the Tarpons their second straight 32-3A championship.
And don't for a minute think the defense isn't aware of that tidbit.
"We want to keep that trophy here," Perales said. "We've been working since the fall to be district champs."
Coming from someone at any other school, one might buy that statement.
But when it's a Tarpon talking, a district title isn't necessarily at the top of the wish list.
Valdez, Delgado and Perales were in the eighth grade when the 2003 PI squad reached the Class 3A state semifinals.
It was the third straight trip PI made to the state semis and this group of Tarps is aiming for another fruitful postseason run.
"We dreamed about it," Valdez said. "When we were sophomores, we played with some of the guys that were on that team. We just fed off their energy and we know we can go there too."
And of the Tarps make another playoff run, it's going to start with that Seawall Defense.
PI graduated the entire defensive line in the fall. But the line's matured quickly and Stumbaugh said that's allowed the rest of the defense to shine.
Especially the Tarpon Three.
Perales leads the team in tackles with 90 on the season and 49 in three district games.
"He reminds me of Frankie Herrera," Stumbaugh said of Perales. "He moves quickly sideline-to-sideline."
Delgado has seven picks this season and could eclipse his nine from last year with a solid outing.
"They're just football players," Stumbaugh said. "They're very football smart. They understand what they're doing and they have a knack for the football."

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/valdez_872___article.xml/defense_three.html

footballgal
11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Good Luck Tarpons!

Thanks Rita, best wishes to your Pirates as well. :)

R4Editor
11-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks Rita, best wishes to your Pirates as well. :) Yes, best wishes to the Sinton Pirates, be first time I miss a game in a while. Footballgal I hoping NYYankee comes thru with the tickets, I will be sitting on PI side.

nfcfan
11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
kicker misses another xpt

but PI still wins by 6!

:p

footballgal
11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
I am sure Yankee will come through.

Go Tarpons Go, I know you can do it, now go out there and do it! :)

footballgal
11-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by nfcfan
kicker misses another xpt

but PI still wins by 6!

:p

Maybe, but will go for two on the next TD and win by 7pts.

nfcfan
11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
PI should go for 2...

...all the time! :D

footballgal
11-01-2007, 11:32 PM
BATTLE BY THE BAY
Respect, rivalry when Tarpons, Bobcats clash
By ARMANDO GARZA

Nov 1, 2007 11:00 pm
http://admin.onset.freedom.com/pictures/rgvsports/1193976249-pageb1imagecopy.jpg
Photo Illustration by Shawn Munguia, Gabe Hernandez & Theresa Najera/Valley Morning Star

PORT ISABEL — When the final buzzer sounded on Nov. 3 of last year, people were already clamoring for a rematch.
It’s been 364 days since Port Isabel downed Rio Hondo 28-21 at Bobcat Stadium to clinch the District 32-3A championship.
Both teams have won their share of games since then and are in the same spot as they were last year; battling for the 32-3A crown.
Yes indeed, the rematch is here.
Rio Hondo, ranked second by the Valley Morning Star, is currently 2-0 in the league and 8-0 overall. They are one of only two Valley unbeaten squads along with Harlingen South.
Meanwhile, Port Isabel has won six straight to get to 2-0 and 6-2, respectively, including a win over Hidalgo last week to clinch a playoff spot. The Tarpons are ranked eighth by the VMS.
“Last week was a big game to get into the playoffs,” Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “And it’s gonna be another big game this week.”
While the Tarpons have had tough games this season, the Rio Hondo tilt has much more on the line.
“Edcouch-Elsa is a big game for us, but it’s not gonna help us get to the playoffs,” Stumbaugh said. “But this week is gonna be huge. For us, it’s for all the marbles.”
All time, PI leads the series 32-21-1.
Like Stumbaugh alluded to, a Tarpon win tonight clinches the district title as they’ll have a bye next week. Should Rio Hondo win, they would officially clinch a share of the crown as they host La Feria in Week 10. They were off last week.
But the Bobcats have employed a very business-like approach heading into tonight.
“We try to approach it that we need to win this game to make the playoffs,” Rio Hondo head coach Gus Cavazos said. “But there is a lot of respect between the two schools.”
Respect is prevalent, especially amongst the coaches.
When Cavazos was hired at Rio Hondo in 2004, the first person to call him the next morning: Stumbaugh.
“I’ve got a lot of respect for Coach Stumbaugh,” he said. “When I first came into the league as a head coach, he was very helpful to me and I’ll always appreciate that.
“Playing against Stumbaugh is always special for me,” Cavazos added. “Because he’s such a great coach and such a great man.”
Stumbaugh was also respectful to his counterpart.
“He’s doing a great job over there,” Stumbaugh said of Cavazos. “I have a lot of respect for him.”
As for the matchup on the field, both teams come in playing solid ball.
Rio Hondo has won the eight straight to start this year and is looking to clinch its third straight playoff appearance. The Bobcats fell in the area round to Cuero last year to finish 10-2.
The ’Cats have the Valley’s No. 1 defense statistically, allowing only 125.4 yards per game, and their secondary has picked off 26 passes.
“They’re a very good football team,” Stumbaugh said of the Bobcats. “Very sound, big up front and they have good size and strength. That’s a pretty good combination.”
On offense, Rio Hondo is third in the district at 354.9 yards per game.
The rushing trio of quarterback Joseph Vela and running backs Jacob Martinez and Trevor David have combined for 1,795 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns.
In 2005, Rio Hondo edged the Tarpons 21-20 for the championship.
But Port Isabel’s tradition as a Valley powerhouse undoubtedly forces their opponents to get up for them.
Under Stumbaugh, a former assistant at Cuero, the Tarpons have continued the winning tradition.
The Tarpons advanced to the third round in ’02, lost to eventual state champion Bandera and finished 9-3.
PI followed that up with their magical run to the ’03 state semifinals with a That year was followed by going three rounds deep in ’04
The last two seasons have ended in the area round; not the usual season end for the Tarpons. Nevertheless, Cavazos and his team know they’ve got a big task on their hands.
“PI doesn’t have very many weaknesses. They’re a very well-balanced team,” Cavazos said. “They’re just a real solid ballclub, so we can’t really focus on just one thing.”
Port Isabel running back Nolan Nuñez has rushed for 1,400 yards and 18 touchdowns so far and is the big threat for the Tarpons. But he’s not the only threat.
At quarterback, David Alaniz has been as steady as they come with his 736 passing yards and four TDs. He also has 136 yards and five scores on the ground.
“On the surface, you could say, ‘Stop Nuñez, you can win the game’,” Cavazos said. “But they’ve got other players besides Nuñez, so we’re trying to prepare for everything.”

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/stumbaugh_874___article.xml/rio_hondo.html

R4Editor
11-02-2007, 12:12 AM
IT's Friday!!!:) NYYankee said he was getting them this morning and i have reserved a hotel room to stay after the game to see the sites of Port Isabel/South Padre on Saturday. Seen Rio Hondo only when they played Sinton a few years back and PI this year. Look forward to seeing them play each other.

nfcfan
11-02-2007, 12:21 AM
R4editor,

what do think of Reg IV teams?

Who are the favorites come playoff time?

Who are the darkhorses?

R4Editor
11-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by nfcfan
R4editor,

what do think of Reg IV teams?

Who are the favorites come playoff time?

Who are the darkhorses? i will post that after the season, but i'll say one darkhorse to look out for and that is Wimberley. I am expecting them to be a serious threat come playoff time. i almost done with updating district pages . Region 4 home page in case if u havent seen it Region 4 home page (http://www.3adownlow.com/regionIV.php)

Bull Butter
11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Phil should come down here to watch this game. He could then head to the Island afterwards to check out his favorite band! :D

NewYorkYankee
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes my internet is working..lol...yup I got the tickets R4editor were about 3/4 up just like ya wanted man I was lucky most all the other reserved were for one seat a couple of two seaters at the bottom so i got a total of 5 me and my friend will be sitting next to yall hope you dont mind and safe trip coming down watch out for those state troopers haha

R4Editor
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by NewYorkYankee
Yes my internet is working..lol...yup I got the tickets R4editor were about 3/4 up just like ya wanted man I was lucky most all the other reserved were for one seat a couple of two seaters at the bottom so i got a total of 5 me and my friend will be sitting next to yall hope you dont mind and safe trip coming down watch out for those state troopers haha Great, I should get there around 6:30 - 7:00.

Johnny 5
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Meet and greet at the North end of the stadium at halftime!

I will be wearing a black polo shirt with Rio Hondo embroidered on the left chest and the Nike symbol on the right chest.

Hope to see you guys there!

footballgal
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Battle by the Bay it was, great & exciting game to watch.
Congratulations to the Bobcats of Rio Hondo! Both teams played an awesome game, and proved the hype was well deserved. Tarpons had their chances, but the RH team step it up, and came out with the win.

BTW, your band is awesome, best I have seen in a long time.

pirate4state
11-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Congrats to the Bobcats!!! :clap:

Good Luck to the Tarpons in the playoffs. :thumbsup:

footballgal
11-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Blue Crushed
Bobcats remain unbeaten, defeat Tarpons 31-20
By Jarret Johnson, The Brownsville Herald

Nov 3, 2007 12:15 am

PORT ISABEL — Both coaches agreed that in a game of two so evenly matched teams, whoever made the fewest mistakes would come out on top in the Brownsville Herald’s Game of the Week.

No. 6 Rio Hondo was flawless in its 31-20 win over No. 9 Port Isabel at Tarpon Stadium on Friday and clinched at least a share of the District 32-3A title. The Bobcats had no turnovers and executed head coach Gus Cavazos’ gameplan to near perfection with 298 yards of total offense.

“I knew it was going to be a close game going into it,” Cavazos said. “We were able to move the ball and keep it away from them. I’m sure that was their plan, too. They’re a great team and well-coached; we just played better than them tonight.”

Bobcat signal caller Joseph Vela (98 yards rushing, two TDs and 61 yards passing, TD) and feature back Jacob Martinez (118 rushing yards, TD) shined in the victory.

“Vela’s the leader and he’s done a great job,” Cavazos said. “He turned in a great performance.”

The Tarpons have been a heavily penalized team all year, and Friday night it caught up to them.

Trailing 7-0 in the first quarter, the Tarpons mounted a long drive to Rio Hondo’s 26-yard line and appeared to have an opportunity to go for it on fourth and one. But before they returned to the huddle, a Tarpon player picked up a personal foul, forcing PI to punt.

After falling behind 17-7 with 26 seconds left in the first half, Nolan Nuñez returned a kickoff 90 yards for an apparent score only for it to be called back because of a holding penalty.

The Tarpons continued to shoot themselves in the foot with untimely penalties totaling 75 yards.

“That (called back kick return) was big because it would have made it 17-14 at the half. It killed all the momentum,” Tarpon coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “We can’t make those kind of mistakes against a good team like that. They capitalized on it and that’s the sign of a good football team.”

Nuñez had one of his best efforts of the season on the ground in a losing effort as he ran for 226 yards and a touchdown to lead a Tarpon comeback effort in the second half.

“Nolan ran tough and was breaking tackles,” Stumbaugh said. “We felt like we moved the football, it was a tough one to lose.”

The Tarpons pulled within striking distance twice in the second half, showing their resiliency, but Rio Hondo always seemed to have an answer.

After Vela scooted up the middle for a 36-yard TD run to extend the Bobcat’s lead to 11 with under two minutes left, PI had little hope of coming back.

On the ensuing possession, WR/DB Shane Eizember corralled his second interception of Tarpon QB David Alaniz to end the game. Eizember was stellar on both sides of the ball, hauling in three passes for 29 yards to go along with the two picks.

The win puts Rio Hondo in the driver’s seat in 32-3A with the opportunity to wrap up the district title at home with a win over La Feria next week.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/yards_886___article.xml/tarpon_tarpons.html

R4Editor
11-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Battle by the Bay it was, great & exciting game to watch.
Congratulations to the Bobcats of Rio Hondo! Both teams played an awesome game, and proved the hype was well deserved. Tarpons had their chances, but the RH team step it up, and came out with the win.

BTW, your band is awesome, best I have seen in a long time. NYYankee had mention RH band was great and they were, the best performance I have seen at a football game.

Johnny 5
11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Thank you very much for the compliment. I firmly believe that RH has one of the best bands in TX.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Valley, and I hope you enjoyed the game.

It was a classic.

S5nce y64 have seen RH and PI play now . . . what are your thoughts on playoff runs for both teams?

R4Editor
11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Thank you very much for the compliment. I firmly believe that RH has one of the best bands in TX.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Valley, and I hope you enjoyed the game.

It was a classic.

S5nce y64 have seen RH and PI play now . . . what are your thoughts on playoff runs for both teams? i will post that info next saturday or sunday.QB Vela(Rio Hondo) and RB Nunez(Port Isabel) have the play making skill and speed to lead their teams on a good playoff run. Rb Jacob Martinez of RH provides a second threat for his team. The game was great and glad i made the trip to see it.