PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW (Week 9): Dallas Madison 4-3 (3-0) vs. Dallas Roosevelt 7-1 (3-0)

charlesrixey
10-27-2007, 07:04 PM
for the district title

Madison is coming on strong

after several very close losses

charlesrixey
10-27-2007, 07:08 PM
dangit!

i hit the wrong button and the poll didn't post!

can a moderator fix that please?

BILLYFRED0000
10-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Roosevelt wins. They are playing very well and I do not think Madison can be consistent.

Cameron Crazy
10-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Maddison in the upset

IHStangFan
10-28-2007, 12:58 AM
who? :D

JR2004
10-28-2007, 01:53 AM
http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/schoolinfo.htm?propertyId=1&schoolId=0&infoType=areaStandings&areaGroupId=183&sportId=3

Madison is not 3-5 and Roosevelt is not 6-2.

Roosevelt is 7-1 with their lone loss coming to Molina.

Madison is 4-3 (We only play a nine game regular season schedule.) We gained a non-district win against Lincoln due to their star RB, Mason Hayes, having been ruled ineligible at a 14-4A district executive meeting.

Could a moderator please fix the records?

charlesrixey
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
will roosevelt go div 1 or div 2

JR2004
10-28-2007, 07:28 PM
They're going big school. They have the biggest enrollment by far in the district.

charlesrixey
10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
They're going big school. They have the biggest enrollment by far in the district.

ooo

that would be a good match up with kennedale, if kennedale goes up

if they win that, then they would face RC (or Wakeland)
tough draw

Gilmer would be the next week

JR2004
10-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Kennedale will be the 1st round opponent. Kennedale won 33-26 last year if I remember correctly. I know Velt wants some revenge and at least want to get a chance to play against RC.

kaorder1999
10-29-2007, 08:51 AM
wish I could see this one. When and where is it?

JR2004
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
wish I could see this one. When and where is it?

Playing over on your home field Thursday night at James Jones.

kaorder1999
10-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Playing over on your home field Thursday night at James Jones.

really? maybe i can go see it then. We play Friday night

JR2004
10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Since most folks on this board aren't from the Dallas area or Region II here's a bit about this game and why it's a big one.

Madison comes into this game with an 11 game district winning streak. (The last loss in district was a 21-7 setback during the final game of the 2004 regular season on the road at Kennedale.)

If Madison wins this game we'll be the district champions for the 3rd straight season(which seemed pretty improbable about a month ago). The only other time that has happened at Madison since they joined the UIL back in 1976 (They were a member of the PVIL prior to that.) was from 1988-90 when current defensive coordinator Marcus Gates was the star tailback.

Madison also has a 3 game winning streak right now against Roosevelt and has outscored them during those three games 69-27 if memory serves correct.

There's plenty on the line for Madison in this game. Right now though I'd say Velt should probably be anywhere from a 10-14 point favorite in this one. I'll come up with some stuff for Roosevelt and their star QB Vincent McNeil Jr. this afternoon because I'm sure most folks know next to nothing about them.

JR2004
10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Alright a little bit about the game and then some stats for both teams.

These two schools absolutely hate each other. When I explained it to Rixey I used a UT analogy. The South Dallas Super Bowl against Lincoln is our OU, but the Roosevelt game is our A&M. Roosevelt gets up for us more than anyone on their schedule. The dislike for each other is from the coaches on down to the players. Madison's defensive coordinator was a finalist for this job when it became open after the 2005 season, but due to some lobbying against him he was denied the position at Velt in favor of a coach who had been the junior high AD/Coach at Holmes Middle School for the prior 2 decades.

A good story from last year that happened was when the coach from Velt showed up at Madison to do the tape exchange. He walked into the coaches office, put every game tape (all 8 games) on the table and told them they could have them all if they wanted them. Didn't matter to Velt at all if we watched all 8 games because they still thought they would blow us away. We wound up winning 11-7 and you can imagine how good our DC felt since Velt didn't think he was good enough for the job.

A few of Velt's players, as well as several of their fans sat on our side last week during our game. Several players laughed and said right out in the open that we were horrible and that they're going to beat us pretty good next week(That's the edited version. Won't say what the players and fans really said about Madison.). They left at halftime laughing at us. Their fans said just about the same stuff about us and they can't wait to blow Madison out tomorrow night.

The biggest slap in the face though that has pissed off our players and coaches? They scheduled us for HOMECOMING tomorrow night. They EXPECT a blowout.

Now some stats...

JR2004
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Roosevelt is led by one of the state's most versatile QB's (if not the most) in Vincent McNeil Jr. He's easily the best player Roosevelt has had since Robert Timmons (he originally started at Roosevelt.)...

He didn't play very much last week at all so these stats have been accumulated in pretty much 7 games.

106 carries
959 yards
9.0 ypc
14 TD's.

76-130 passing
1003 yards
14 TD's

If you've never seen him play you've missed out on a really good one. This would've been his senior year at Wilmer-Hutchins and undoubtedly more folks would know about him if that school was still open. He's a special talent that doesn't get a lot of recognition outside of Dallas because he doesn't play for a marquee team.

Roosevelt averages 38 points per game and they've been held to less than 28 just once and that came against Molina (Who has beat them each of the last two years.) who should once again be in the 5A playoffs. This is probably the most talented Roosevelt has been since Richmond Webb and Kevin Williams played there in the 80's.

kaorder1999
11-01-2007, 08:43 AM
you guys have fun tonight. Im still going to try to make it but its not looking good. Dang JV games!!!

JR2004
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
you guys have fun tonight. Im still going to try to make it but its not looking good. Dang JV games!!!

Poor fella. Gotta spend the night over in the Grove.

JR2004
11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
A little bit about what Madison brings into the game tonight.

Madison brings in a pretty young team that's starting to figure it out. We're still the most penalized team in high school football, but penalties never really have any effect on the game for us.

Madison will be playing Chris Hight at QB tonight. He's just a sophomore, but he plays like a guy with a couple years under his belt as a starter.

Vernon Hunt has filled in very well for Shawnbrey McNeal this year and has 14 TD's combined rushing and receiving. He averages a TD every 4 touches and has had 4 TD's called back so far in the six games he's played (2 on special teams returns and 2 on TD runs). He'd get the ball more, but we spread the carries among 5 different tailbacks.

I'm looking forward to the game and I just hope Madison can stay within 14 or so of a very, very good Roosevelt team tonight by the end of the game. I think our district winning streak probably comes to an end in this one.

eagles_victory
11-02-2007, 12:42 AM
who won?

block&tackle
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Roosevelt by around 50.