PDA

View Full Version : Region I GOTW (Week 9) Vernon Lions (7-1,2-0) @ Graham (8-0,2-0)

VERNONLION#1
10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Lets get this thing going. Thoughts and comments.

SteersFootball
10-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Awesome rival should be a great game.

VERNONLION#1
10-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Big rivalry game. May have to take some blood pressure medication for this game. Should be exciting. I'm sure there will be a big crowd.

Cameron Crazy
10-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Graham's defense will win this game.

KTA
10-27-2007, 12:14 AM
like tonight?

Cameron Crazy
10-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by KTA
like tonight? Our defense will play 10x better come next friday!

Dominicfrank
10-27-2007, 12:17 AM
This should be a good one but I fear the turnover. Vernon had three fumbles against lowly hirschi and 7 TO's against Clyde. Not good stats and they are in every game. Vernon better wake the heck up or Graham can win this one.

KTA
10-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Graham had 4 To's in the 1st half agaisnt IP, this one could either be really good, or really good in a sloppy way....I hope its the 1st one.

R1Editor
10-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Who do you got, and why?

KTA
10-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Graham, because they are better

PlayaJBiehl20
Ill go with the Steers.

Ranger Mom
Originally posted by R1Editor
Who do you got, and why?

Dang!! You are on top of it tonight!!

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Vernon will win, just watch:D :D

Cameron Crazy
10-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Graham wins.

Vernon will have to get past a talented linebacking group and a hard nosed D-Line.

If our pass doesnt work, we can run.

Should be a good game.

R1Editor
10-27-2007, 01:08 AM
yup Ranger Mom I try to do my best :D

KTA
10-27-2007, 01:10 AM
If our pass doesnt work, we can run.

Yeah but sometimes it just takes 3 quarters before we decide to do it:mad:

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by KTA
Yeah but sometimes it just takes 3 quarters before we decide to do it:mad:

Then it will be to late to catch up especially against Vernon, so Vernon will win by 7 or 14

KTA
10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Vernon is a run run run team, and Graham is GREAT at stopping the run.

You Snyder people are so spiteful (for the most part) don't be upset that yall have 2 L's in yalls loss column, while we still have a goose egg

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Graham...because I will it to be so! :D

lakers
10-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Graham by 7

They better bring their A game...

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by KTA
Vernon is a run run run team, and Graham is GREAT at stopping the run.

You Snyder people are so spiteful (for the most part) don't be upset that yall have 2 L's in yalls loss column, while we still have a goose egg

Snyder and Graham both shutout Greenwood but we put more points on them. But Snyder will beat Graham "IF" you guys make it that far.:D :D :D

KTA
10-27-2007, 02:06 AM
We also beat Monahans 34-0

YALL LOST

SteersFootball
10-27-2007, 03:42 AM
Graham by 7

Should be a great rival game.
Game will also be in Graham another obstacle in Vernon's way.

Ranger Mom
10-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Snyder and Graham both shutout Greenwood but we put more points on them. But Snyder will beat Graham "IF" you guys make it that far.:D :D :D

OUCH!!!:(

After seeing both teams this season. At this very moment, my heart says Snyder but my head says Graham!!

Be gentle!!:kiss:

Oh wait!!!! This is a Graham/Vernon thread!!:D

My head stills says Graham!

lion75
10-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Vernon. Because I'm a homer. And they are a turf team. That's why they do better when the playoffs start. They normally play on turf in the playoffs. And they have more speed than last years team.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Both teams are good. I'm sure that the Graham players know that Vernon is a formidable team that has the capability of beating them if they make mistakes. Same goes for Vernon. Both teams are very good and it should be a good game. I'm betting that both teams rise to the occasion and play well.

No excuses here. May the best team win -- that would be the one that does.

Dominicfrank
10-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Why will Vernon win? Graham has a good D and i think they will have success stopping the run for the most part in the firs thalf but Vernon will continue to pound the ball and that vaunted D will start to get tired. Vernon will pull out a few things they have not shown so far and will put up at least 21 on graham. Now that is 21 points and I think Graham will get more than that if Vernon doesnt hold on to the football. If Vernon wins the TO game we win 21-14, if we dont then I give it 28-14 Graham. Graham is a good team who knows what to do with turnovers. By picking Vernon to win I am betting they finally have a game where they dont fumble the ball which they have not been able to do all year, so that is scary.

lion75
10-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
This should be a good one but I fear the turnover. Vernon had three fumbles against lowly hirschi and 7 TO's against Clyde. Not good stats and they are in every game. Vernon better wake the heck up or Graham can win this one. I fear the penalty as well . In the debacle vs. Clyde we had 8 penalties for 80 yards to go along with those 7 turnovers. That spells disaster vs. anybody.

lion75
10-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Is that a new stadium or just new turf and track?

Snydertigersrul
10-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Greenwood played against Graham without its starting quarterback, who missed because of an injury.

Cameron Crazy
10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Is that a new stadium or just new turf and track? New turf. its in my sig.

KTA
10-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Greenwood played against Graham without its starting quarterback, who missed because of an injury.

It was also in week zero, nobody looks good in week zero.

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
OUCH!!!:(

After seeing both teams this season. At this very moment, my heart says Snyder but my head says Graham!!

Be gentle!!:kiss:

Oh wait!!!! This is a Graham/Vernon thread!!:D

My head stills says Graham!

I wasn't meaning that to offend Greenwood by any means, I go for Greenwood until Snyder plays you guys and that over now so I hope you guys win every game from now on.

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by KTA
We also beat Monahans 34-0

YALL LOST

Yeah but that was week 0, no one looks good in week 0. If you look at film from then, and look at film from now. We look like a totally different team.

KTA
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
So do we, and im sure 99% of the teams in Texas do as well....whats your point?

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by KTA
So do we, and im sure 99% of the teams in Texas do as well....whats your point? KTA...what's up man...ya'll gonna win this thing or what?!

KTA
10-27-2007, 05:20 PM
If we dont, like I said earlier I wont post on the DL ever again

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by KTA
If we dont, like I said earlier I wont post on the DL ever again dude...don't do that...I enjoy alot of your posts!!

KTA
10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
well I have already said it....I cant go back on what I said

Reguardless I still think Graham wins

KTA
10-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Graham will win IF they make the correct adjustments (unlike last night)

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by KTA
well I have already said it....I cant go back on what I said

Reguardless I still think Graham wins yeah..I think so too.

Snydertigersrul
10-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by KTA
It was also in week zero, nobody looks good in week zero.

Giddings and Liberty Hill didn't look bad in zero week.

KTA
10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
but did they look bad compared to now? Ok then

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 06:02 PM
seriously...there isn't a team that plays the game, HS, College or even Pro that is at 100% top, playoff ready form at week 0.

RMAC
10-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
seriously...there isn't a team that plays the game, HS, College or even Pro that is at 100% top, playoff ready form at week 0.

You are correct. This has all the makings of a great game. I mean, you have both sides saying why that should win and both sides are making good points. Heck, even both sides will say that other team has a chance. You have the storied rivalry between the schools. This game is even such a big deal that a town 200 miles that nobody cares about has to get a say in it. THIS IS WHY WE LOVE H.S. FOOTBALL GUYS!!! The way Clyde has been this year, you can take away all the Vernon turnovers, and they still might not win because as strange as it seems, Clyde is a legit team, and the fact that Vernon lost to them is a mute point. It should be a great game Friday w/ both coming to play. That having been said, since they will BOTH come to play, we will see who the better team is.

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
You are correct. This has all the makings of a great game. I mean, you have both sides saying why that should win and both sides are making good points. Heck, even both sides will say that other team has a chance. You have the storied rivalry between the schools. This game is even such a big deal that a town 200 miles that nobody cares about has to get a say in it. THIS IS WHY WE LOVE H.S. FOOTBALL GUYS!!! The way Clyde has been this year, you can take away all the Vernon turnovers, and they still might not win because as strange as it seems, Clyde is a legit team, and the fact that Vernon lost to them is a mute point. It should be a great game Friday w/ both coming to play. That having been said, since they will BOTH come to play, we will see who the better team is. agreed....from everything I've read, heard and seen about these two teams so far this year...this should be a battle. No way in heck this one is a one-sided victory...for either team. I have a feeling the margin of victory will be a TD or less based on what I know of them.

RMAC
10-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
agreed....from everything I've read, heard and seen about these two teams so far this year...this should be a battle. No way in heck this one is a one-sided victory...for either team. I have a feeling the margin of victory will be a TD or less based on what I know of them.

Well if Graham wins it probably won't be due a FG as I haven't heard anything good about their kicker. But who knows, maybe the kid can step it up in a pressure situation as he might be faced with come Friday.

KTA
10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
wish we had IP's kicker

charlesrixey
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
wow

this thread is not a day old and already 47 replies

of course, this is probably the game of the year in region I (in pre-game interest) for the regular season

BILLYFRED0000
10-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Well this is a good one. Graham has one of the best defenses in region 1 so far and Vernon plays tough D year in and out. The trick is that Graham does not roll out many points to go with their D.

PF-PA: 229-66.

IF Vernon can keep Grahams O out of the endzone then Vernon has a chance to pull off upset. IP showed that last week when Graham won a squeaker 14-13. And it would be an upset. Graham is the prohibitive favorite.
The only quality team that Vernon has faced is Clyde ( and Burkburnett) and they lost in that one 39 - 21 while Graham beat Clyde 12 - 0.

Vernon's issue is one of not having been able to score a lot of points
( 206-142 ) and they have not faced a top notch D like Graham this year. I think Graham wins but lets throw out the books and enjoy the game and just see what happens.

charlesrixey
10-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well this is a good one. Graham has one of the best defenses in region 1 so far and Vernon plays tough D year in and out. The trick is that Graham does not roll out any points to go with their D.

PF-PA: 229-66.

IF Vernon can keep Grahams O out of the endzone then Vernon has a chance to pull off upset. And that is what it would be. Graham is the prohibitive favorite.
The only quality team that Vernon has faced is Clyde ( and Burkburnett) and they lost in that one 39 - 21 while Graham beat Clyde 12 - 0.

Vernon has the issue of not having been able to score a lot of points and they have not faced a top notch D like Graham this year. I think Graham wins but lets throw out the books and enjoy the game and just see what happens.

well said

early pick:

Graham 21, Vernon 14

grizz53
10-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Should be a great game, wish i could go. But i say Graham by 14 cuz I dont see Vernon being able to run the ball against their D.

lion75
10-27-2007, 09:31 PM
The key to this game is penalties and turnovers. Against Clyde, Vernon had a combination of 15 turnovers and penalties. I don't think they can afford many of either this week. Vernon is one of a very short list of Region One teams that can pull this off, but they must be sharp and their coaches will need a terrific game plan.

grizz53
10-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Man I'm sick of hearing how many turnovers Vernon had when they played Clyde. Why dont y'all just own up to the lose and move on. Clyde's D has been causing that many turnovers against everyone they have played this year so give them some credit and quit crying.

IHStangFan
10-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Well if Graham wins it probably won't be due a FG as I haven't heard anything good about their kicker. But who knows, maybe the kid can step it up in a pressure situation as he might be faced with come Friday. yeah...I wish Needville's kicking game was a bit stronger as well. It's our weak spot I think. They've done some shifting around though on the roster it appears and since doing so they have looked overall pretty darn good. I'm excited and hope we make the playoffs this year. Last year we stayed home w/ a 7-3 record.

BILLYFRED0000
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by grizz53
Man I'm sick of hearing how many turnovers Vernon had when they played Clyde. Why dont y'all just own up to the lose and move on. Clyde's D has been causing that many turnovers against everyone they have played this year so give them some credit and quit crying.

Yeah from what I hear Clyde puts a hat on you and then steps inside your uniform. That will usually cause a ball to fall out.

TigerPride
10-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Speaking of clyde. what happened to the almighty defense against breck, what went wrong ??GO TIGERS!!!!(the best 6-2 team in the state)

bigron15
10-28-2007, 02:17 AM
you really cant make a logical comparison of 2 teams by who they beat and who they lost to and by how many. that was just how they played on that given night. they might have played bad or the other team might have just been on it. i try not to compare like that but its hard not to.

grizz53
10-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Their senior captain linebacker broke his ankle in the swater game and his back up tore cartilage in the game too, so they had to bring in a j.v. kid to fill the position and breck exploited it. But the rest of the D stepped up at the end of the game when they needed to and came away with a win.

IHStangFan
10-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
you really cant make a logical comparison of 2 teams by who they beat and who they lost to and by how many. that was just how they played on that given night. they might have played bad or the other team might have just been on it. i try not to compare like that but its hard not to. I've been preaching that around here for years....team a beats team b..so team a should dismantle team c who lost to team b. It doesnt work that way....never has..never will

bigron15
10-28-2007, 02:32 AM
i played golf at swater last year and i was paired up with jacob and kelci gonzales and they are 2 of the most competitive people i have met so i can just imagine them on the football field.

BILLYFRED0000
10-28-2007, 08:14 AM
One point of comparison is a statistical anomaly. If you can compare a chain of references then you have something to lay a hat on. That is what most power rankings do. Forget one on one for the most part unless you are comparing play against a team that both have faced that has proven to be a consistent and tough opponent like Clyde Vernon Graham where Clyde was the common opponent.
That can tell you something about the play of all three teams.

TigerPride
10-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Their senior captain linebacker broke his ankle in the swater game and his back up tore cartilage in the game too, so they had to bring in a j.v. kid to fill the position and breck exploited it. But the rest of the D stepped up at the end of the game when they needed to and came away with a win.
Thanks, so what's the story on breck? Maybe you can enlighten the downlow, considering nobody from breck post here. GO TIGERS!!(the best 6-2 team in the state) not trying to hijack a thread, just curious.

Darren
10-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Graham 28, Vernon 14

grizz53
10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TigerPride
Thanks, so what's the story on breck? Maybe you can enlighten the downlow, considering nobody from breck post here. GO TIGERS!!(the best 6-2 team in the state) not trying to hijack a thread, just curious.

I didnt mean to take anything away from Breck they are a good team that shouldnt be underestimated by anyone. The two headed monster of Vick and Roberson could give anyone fits. It should be an interesting match up between Swater and Breck for 3rd place.

wtxfootball08
10-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Darren
Graham 28, Vernon 14

thats my prediction

lion75
10-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Man I'm sick of hearing how many turnovers Vernon had when they played Clyde. Why dont y'all just own up to the lose and move on. Clyde's D has been causing that many turnovers against everyone they have played this year so give them some credit and quit crying. We're talking about the Graham - Vernon game. I didn't discredit Clyde's effort at all. And I'm sure as h--l not crying about anything. So go back to the hole you crawled out of and quit crying everytime we mention turnovers and penalties as a potential stumbling block for the Lions. I said BEFORE and after the Vernon game that Clyde was solid and have shown nothing but respect for them. So take a hike. And by the way, how do you "own up to a lose?"

grizz53
10-28-2007, 02:49 PM
We're talking about the Graham - Vernon game. I didn't discredit Clyde's effort at all. And I'm sure as h--l not crying about anything. So go back to the hole you crawled out of and quit crying everytime we mention turnovers and penalties as a potential stumbling block for the Lions. I said BEFORE and after the Vernon game that Clyde was solid and have shown nothing but respect for them. So take a hike. And by the way, how do you "own up to a lose?"

Every time you say something you have to mention that ya'll had 7 turnovers and use that as an excuse so just admit that we were the better team and OWN UP TO IT!

lion75
10-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Every time you say something you have to mention that ya'll had 7 turnovers and use that as an excuse so just admit that we were the better team and OWN UP TO IT! I have mentioned those turnovers THRICE in the Weeks following that game and this time it was a reference to one of our concerns. There are other Vernon posters who have made a big deal out of those turnovers and you are obviously mistaking me for them. I gave Clyde credit then, ate my crow, and still give them credit, so if thats not OWNING UP TO IT then what is? Quit whining about not getting enough credit and move on.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-28-2007, 04:10 PM
The turnovers were big.

I hope that Vernon gets another shot at Clyde in the playoffs.

KTA
10-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Yall could meet in Graham, that would be a good neutral spot:D

RedWhiteBlue
10-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I definitely am going with Graham. We will have ourselves back together over a tight win over IP last week and be ready to roll. I smell Lion chili.... is that legal in Texas?

Ranger Mom
10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
you really cant make a logical comparison of 2 teams by who they beat and who they lost to and by how many. that was just how they played on that given night. they might have played bad or the other team might have just been on it. i try not to compare like that but its hard not to.

I agree.....we beat Seminole, Brownfield beat us and Seminole donkey stomped Brownfield!!

Snydertigersrul
10-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I definitely am going with Graham. We will have ourselves back together over a tight win over IP last week and be ready to roll. I smell Lion chili.... is that legal in Texas?

Vernon has to be the pick in this one. The Lions know how to win pressure games. Graham's defense will keep it close, but Vernon's running game will put the game away.

lion75
10-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I smell Lion chili.... is that legal in Texas? I smell mountain oysters (calf fries). I know that's coming out of Graham.

Snyder_TigerFan
10-28-2007, 09:51 PM
I agree.....we beat Seminole, Brownfield beat us and Seminole donkey stomped Brownfield!!

That totally throws off Butkus's ranking logic.

Snydertigersrul
10-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Snyder Tiger fan, I missed you at the game Friday night.

Tromboneking
10-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Graham is too strong.

Graham 24
Vernon 10

Snydertigersrul
10-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Tromboneking
Graham is too strong.

Graham 24
Vernon 10

Graham 14
Iowa Park 13

Ya, strong.

Ranger Mom
10-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
That totally throws off Butkus's ranking logic.

Well...considering Butkus doesn't do any rankings, that I know of, I guess his logic doesn't come into play here anyway!!

Snyder_TigerFan
10-29-2007, 08:48 AM
I apologize for assuming that Butkus was the region I editor. I was just going off of what he said in his posts (which made it sound like he was).

That totally throws off RegionI editor's ranking logic.

Fixed.:)

BTW, Go Vernon!

Tromboneking
10-29-2007, 08:55 AM
My question is this...the Graham defense has given up 41 points all season! Four shutouts...The defense is GREAT. What is it gonna take for them to get some respect? I still think Vernon does not score more than 10 this week.

But that is my opinion...

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
I smell mountain oysters (calf fries). I know that's coming out of Graham.
Good one!

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Tromboneking
My question is this...the Graham defense has given up 41 points all season! Four shutouts...The defense is GREAT. What is it gonna take for them to get some respect? I still think Vernon does not score more than 10 this week.

But that is my opinion...
Our defense has played very well King- they have saved us many times this season. This week's game will definitely be a good one! It is nice to have another Steer fan on the board- Welcome!!

lumber_jackip
10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
i'm gonna take Graham in this one. i have seen grahams "d" up close and persoanl and I dont think the Lions will be able to get in the zone. Graham has a bend but dont break defense that stiffens when you get in the red zone. We had the ball 4 times inside the 35 and only scored on a trick play. Vernon will struggle stopping the run as well. I believe that graham must have one of the biggestl o-lines in the area. Graham 27 Vernon 13

KTA
10-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Graham 14
Iowa Park 13

Ya, strong.

Stronger then yall

Snyder 32 Monahans 41
Graham 33 Monahans 7

RMAC
10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Stronger then yall

Snyder 32 Monahans 41
Graham 33 Monahans 7

Snyder has a lot of posters that would rather talk about us losing than the Tigers winning. They'll give us reasons why we're going to lose but not reasons why they're going to win.:rolleyes:

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Snyder has a lot of posters that would rather talk about us losing than the Tigers winning. They'll give us reasons why we're going to lose but not reasons why they're going to win.:rolleyes:
Do they have many reasons why they will win? Other than "because they are the best 5-2 team in the state" oh, excuse me, "6-2 team in the state"???

lakers
10-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Do they have many reasons why they will win? Other than "because they are the best 5-2 team in the state" oh, excuse me, "6-2 team in the state"???

haha:clap:

RMAC
10-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Yeah, over on the UIL enrollment #'s thread, Blackie was saying Sweetwater should worry about Breck, because not all schools have the luxury of being in a 4 team district with Lamesa, thus, the playoffs are a given.

DaHop72
10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah, over on the UIL enrollment #'s thread, Blackie was saying Sweetwater should worry about Breck, because not all schools have the luxury of being in a 4 team district with Lamesa, thus, the playoffs are a given. And we are in.:D :D

DaHop72
10-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Do they have many reasons why they will win? Other than "because they are the best 5-2 team in the state" oh, excuse me, "6-2 team in the state"??? We will win because our running game is running on all cylinders, we completed some passes last Friday night and our defense looked good. :devil: :D

wtxfootball08
10-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Yall could meet in Graham, that would be a good neutral spot:D

Man I went to graham to watch my g/f scrimmage sat. and saw yall's new turf... It looks really good--i wouldn't mind meeting up there

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by wtxfootball08
Man I went to graham to watch my g/f scrimmage sat. and saw yall's new turf... It looks really good--i wouldn't mind meeting up there
Thanks!!!! We like it.

Dominicfrank
10-29-2007, 03:02 PM

Come on it was the truth. You will never stop hearing it as long as people mention Clyde winning.

Texasfootball2
10-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by wtxfootball08

Was this a backetball scrimmage?

tigerbyheart
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I say Vernon 27 Graham 24

Not because I'm from Snyder either..... I was raised a Buckaroo :D :D

I'm not saying Vernon is better than Graham, Graham is probably one of the most balanced teams out there, but I think Vernon will pull out the win....

KTA
10-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I was raised a Buckaroo

That explains your pick right there. You have the worst of both worlds :p

RedWhiteBlue
10-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by KTA
That explains your pick right there. You have the worst of both worlds :p
That was exactly what I was thinking when I read this- some people have the worst luck, don't they KTA?

Snydertigersrul
10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
That was exactly what I was thinking when I read this- some people have the worst luck, don't they KTA?

You mean that you are sorry that you are in Graham

KTA
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
FAR from it

BILLYFRED0000
10-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I will jump in and say that I like the Vernon boys a lot. Class and all that. But there is just about no way they can score on Graham. Their offense is a little weak and their defense is not enough to stop Graham's offense even tho Graham is just above average on O. Vernon is not playing their usually solid D and the stats back this up at 206 pf and 142 pa. Too close to even and Graham will be the best team they have faced.

lion75
10-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Vernon's d has given up 19 less points than last year and they've won 3 more games. Some of those points were against the second team in mop up.

KTA
10-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Graham's D has gave up 115 less points then at this point last year and has won 5 more games as well. :thinking:

And Vernon's D has gave up 37 less points then they did at this point last year and has won 3 more games.

Graham's offense has scored 99 more points then at this point last year.

Vernon's offense has scored 64 more points then at this point last year.

Just gives you guys some stuff to think about

Dominicfrank
10-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Vernon does not have a good history of playing district games tough. They just dont seem to turn it on until playoffs which is a pretty stupid way to go about things in a district like this and it has cost them in years past. I think the luster of the playoffs is where they know the money and recognition is but I worry about this team in district. Graham is the exact opposite. They rarely do well in the playoffs but they are well coached studs in district. Go figure. One thing is for sure and that is Graham never has to worry about making the playoffs which has to be a comfort while vernon struggles almost every year gambling that they will make it so they can turn it on and go deep. Very dumb in my opinion.

lion75
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
I think a lot of the reason for Vernon's early struggles and late success each year is a system that requires more repitition causing them to gel later than most. Or maybe they just have players that take a little longer to get in a groove. Either way, I'm hoping the 5 playoff games that many of these players played last year help them to turn it on a little sooner than they have in the past. Regardless who wins, I think both of these teams make some noise in the playoffs

BILLYFRED0000
10-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Vernon does not have a good history of playing district games tough. They just dont seem to turn it on until playoffs which is a pretty stupid way to go about things in a district like this and it has cost them in years past. I think the luster of the playoffs is where they know the money and recognition is but I worry about this team in district. Graham is the exact opposite. They rarely do well in the playoffs but they are well coached studs in district. Go figure. One thing is for sure and that is Graham never has to worry about making the playoffs which has to be a comfort while vernon struggles almost every year gambling that they will make it so they can turn it on and go deep. Very dumb in my opinion.

They went deep last year. ANd they were good. Had us going for about a half. I just think this year Graham is really playing D and you know that is what it takes to win.

MarginalTalent
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM

Just speculating, but maybe Vernon's recent playoff prowess vs. Graham's playoff problems have stemmed from the fact that in the 5 previous playoff years prior to last season when Graham was District Champion, Graham was playing D1 schools (Wylie and Gainsville mainly) and Vernon was playing D2. You might have had a different history if the rolls were reversed over those years. (2000-2005)

RMAC
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MarginalTalent
Just speculating, but maybe Vernon's recent playoff prowess vs. Graham's playoff problems have stemmed from the fact that in the 5 previous playoff years prior to last season when Graham was District Champion, Graham was playing D1 schools (Wylie and Gainsville mainly) and Vernon was playing D2. You might have had a different history if the rolls were reversed over those years. (2000-2005)

I know that's how a lot of the players from past D1 playoff teams felt. But who's to say that the Graham teams now aren't just better than their predecessors. Who knows, but if Graham goes 3+ deep again, then I will lean towards that as a reason. It's nothing more than common logic. If school A has 2 times as many kids as school B, which is all too common in 3A, then A has to have 2 times as many very talented players as B. Now of course, this is not always the case, but more often than not, it is.

Dominicfrank
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
They went deep last year. ANd they were good. Had us going for about a half. I just think this year Graham is really playing D and you know that is what it takes to win.

I guess our definitiion of deep is totally different.

Dominicfrank
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by MarginalTalent
Just speculating, but maybe Vernon's recent playoff prowess vs. Graham's playoff problems have stemmed from the fact that in the 5 previous playoff years prior to last season when Graham was District Champion, Graham was playing D1 schools (Wylie and Gainsville mainly) and Vernon was playing D2. You might have had a different history if the rolls were reversed over those years. (2000-2005) Doesnt matter at all which one you go to brother. Celina would have been in the finals either way and Vernon just as far. Keep in mind you go up to DI and be the third place team out of your district.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
In 2001 Vernon went D1. Whipped the crap out of Abilene Wylie, beat Aledo and then lost to Perryton in the regional final.

Wylie was been the one that Graham had so much trouble with. I don't think it matters which way you go...D1 has a shorter road though.

Vernon has had some great success in the playoffs and that goes back to the 1980s. Vernon has not had success at beating Graham however.

VWG
10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
In 2001 Vernon went D1. Whipped the crap out of Abilene Wylie, beat Aledo and then lost to Perryton in the regional final.

Wylie was been the one that Graham had so much trouble with. I don't think it matters which way you go...D1 has a shorter road though.

Vernon has had some great success in the playoffs and that goes back to the 1980s. Vernon has not had success at beating Graham however.

Come on fellas... "Vernon has not had success at beating Graham however".
Let's take our history books out boys. Vernon has ruled the North Central Texas area since Leo Britain took over back in 1976 or 1977. Look at Vernon's overall record vs Graham, Iowa Park, Burk, even WF Hirschi when they were strong in the 80's. I bet Vernon has winning records over all of them. Hands Down.
WOS87 might be able to help here. I will bet the farm that the Lions have winning records by 10+ games over Graham and Iowa Park since 1980.
Y'all are just going back from the Bourquin days and since McCoy took over. Bourquin had a real nice district run for about 4 years where nobody beat Graham in district, but Vernon has been kicking tail for a long time.
I personally think the best Vernon team was back in 1984. James Dixon (Ex NFL with Cowboys), Ronnie Boyce, Ron Cook, Graf, Chisum.... they had a great team that lost to Daingerfield in the Semifinals that year. 1989 and 1990 teams were also very good, but talent wise I gotta go with the 1984 Lions.

KTA
10-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Ronnie Boyce

Is he any kin to Billy Boyce?

Dominicfrank
10-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Let's take our history books out boys. Vernon has ruled the North Central Texas area since Leo Britain took over back in 1976 or 1977. Look at Vernon's overall record vs Graham, Iowa Park, Burk, even WF Hirschi when they were strong in the 80's. I bet Vernon has winning records over all of them. Hands Down.
WOS87 might be able to help here. I will bet the farm that the Lions have winning records by 10+ games over Graham and Iowa Park since 1980.
Y'all are just going back from the Bourquin days and since McCoy took over. Bourquin had a real nice district run for about 4 years where nobody beat Graham in district, but Vernon has been kicking tail for a long time.
I personally think the best Vernon team was back in 1984. James Dixon (Ex NFL with Cowboys), Ronnie Boyce, Ron Cook, Graf, Chisum.... they had a great team that lost to Daingerfield in the Semifinals that year. 1989 and 1990 teams were also very good, but talent wise I gotta go with the 1984 Lions. impressive knowledge on Vernon. I was only referring t recent years against Graham. Vernon up to 2000 never had much of any compitition in north texas. That 84 team was great but I will have to go with the team that LOST to SLC at Pennington Field. Best two teams I personally ever saw play at the high school level. Dexter Butler was a beast and the best player o ever play for Vernon, just never was the grades getting kind of guy or I promise he has a NFL career and probably a good one. Derrick Richardson was a little better in the class room but again fell sort of his enormous potential. Good ol' James Dixon ! Never would have thought that name would come up on this post. Love it, great post.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by VWG
I personally think the best Vernon team was back in 1984. James Dixon (Ex NFL with Cowboys), Ronnie Boyce, Ron Cook, Graf, Chisum.... they had a great team that lost to Daingerfield in the Semifinals that year. 1989 and 1990 teams were also very good, but talent wise I gotta go with the 1984 Lions.

You always hold my to the fire don't you! We can sure agree that they have a good rivalry. Will you be at the game on Friday?

RedWhiteBlue
10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
I may be wrong- but hadn't Graham won district like 8 times under Bourquin before Coach McCoy came? Just wondering.....

KTA
10-31-2007, 10:52 AM
97 stephenville did
98 they missed the playoffs
99 I think they won it
00 they did
01 they did
02 they did
03 they did
04 they did

lion75
10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Is he any kin to Billy Boyce? Brother

lion75
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by KTA
Is he any kin to Billy Boyce? Hey, KTA you know Billy? He's a great guy.

KTA
10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah I know Billy, didnt he move to the metroplex a couple years ago?

lion75
10-31-2007, 05:33 PM
No, he's the receivers coach at Vernon. He played ball with me at Vernon back in the day. I'll tell you a good story about him at the scoreboard if I make it.

KTA
10-31-2007, 05:42 PM
I remember him coaching that semi team up there the jaguars. Hopefully you make it, I wanna hear the story.

KTA
11-01-2007, 09:39 PM
VERNON SUCKS!!!

lol

I just wanted to say something to stir the pot :p

Serious note, I hope all of yall have a safe trip down here tomorrow.

Stownhorse
11-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by KTA
VERNON SUCKS!!!

lol

I just wanted to say something to stir the pot :p

Serious note, I hope all of yall have a safe trip down here tomorrow.

haha they do, but i cant talk :rolleyes:

lion75
11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
It's on now!!! I just drove by the field house and they were loadin up a 55 gallon drum of whooparse to take down to Graham

KTA
11-02-2007, 12:23 AM
yall are going to need it :p

Dominicfrank
11-02-2007, 08:49 AM
It's here !!!!!!!! Big game, I cant decide if I should leave work to go across the Metroplex at 5:00 to get to graham.

lion75
11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
What's this nonsense in the Graham Leader about Vernon having four backs that average 100 yards per game. The writer says that and Coach McCoy is also quoted that way. For the record Whiteside averages 99.75, Daniels averages 86.25, Murray 39yds per game, and Williams 25.12 yds. Why would they want to propegate this myth?

HAN SING
11-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Han think Vernon win game. Little Joe say Graham too tough. Hoss say they twerps. Han think it will be very close game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Just got back from the Pep Rally! Our boys are pumped up! Roped some Steers at the Pep rally!!!

I'm ready for this game!!!!!!!

Lion Express rolling into Graham tonight.

Testing that Steer Defense out for sure.

KTA
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
We’re playing really well right now, but at the same time they have four guys who can average 100 yards per game.

If anything I think hes giving yall's players a compliment...he didnt say yall DO, he basically said that any of yalls backs could go 100 yards on any time.;)

See yall at half time

wtxfootball08
11-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Come on it was the truth. You will never stop hearing it as long as people mention Clyde winning.

can we get yalls non district Schedule???

buff4ever
11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
graham is my pick, can't believe this was a question.

VWG
11-02-2007, 12:16 PM
This game is too tough to pick. At the first of the week I was leaning towards the Lions. They have more weapons on offense, in my opinion..... but Graham's defense is just solid. You know what they say... defense wins championships. Vernon has a very talented QB, and a solid ground game. Can Graham's passing game be stopped by the Lions secondary? Graham has two WR's, one at 6'2" and the other that is 6'4" and both are talented.
Should be a good battle, but I think the game will be low scoring.
The one thing that might help the Steers out is that they can utitlize the spread, or they can line it up in the I formation and pound it up the middle. Their O-line has good size and can push some people around.
Again... too tough to pick a winner. Good luck to both squads tonight as no matter who wins both should make noise in D-II playoffs.

Dominicfrank
11-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Found away to get to the game, should be a good one.

KTA
11-02-2007, 05:11 PM
see ya at half time

Stownhorse
11-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
graham is my pick, can't believe this was a question.

Yea thats what everyone said last year when we met them in the playoffs and we got rolled.

Watch out for their QB, he is slicker than snot. Reminds me of a right handed Vick pre-conviction.

SNYDER325TIGERS
11-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Then it will be to late to catch up especially against Vernon, so Vernon will win by 7 or 14

Now what did I say, I just knew that Vernon would win. Congrats Vernon on the win.

lion75
11-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Vernon lost both of their running backs on consecutive plays with 8:39 left in the 3rd qtr. They moved 225lb Kyle Echols to running back for the rest of the game.

pero chato
11-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Vernon lost both of their running backs on consecutive plays with 8:39 left in the 3rd qtr. They moved 225lb Kyle Echols to running back for the rest of the game.

I hope they'll be back next week. Any news on the injuries?

Dominicfrank
11-03-2007, 01:45 AM
i havent heard but daniels was walking it off after the game, he alost went back in after he got taped up. Echoles did a good job pounding the ball when we really needed it.