PDA

View Full Version : What About the Alamo Dome?

Phil C
01-02-2003, 11:29 AM
What do you all think about having the Alamo Dome in San Antonio being the host for all future Class 3A State Semi and Final football games. The dome is covered and would be ideal especially considering that in December sometimes Texas does have bad weather and this would be a guarantee of ideal weather conditions and better comfort for the fans and players. Also there are plenty of hotels and motels in San Antonio for visitors. A case could also be argued for Texas Stadium but they didn't finish it at the top. :) Anyway, what do you all think? By the Way Happy New Year to everyone.

j_dog
01-02-2003, 11:41 AM
I think the Alamodome is a great idea!!

BIG19
01-02-2003, 11:57 AM
I think it is a good idea, but after talking to many of the Burnet players, after the first round game against Summerset, they did not like the turf. I would rather see the Relaint Stadium instead.

RBARKER
01-02-2003, 02:08 PM
I wish all state games where rotated. One year at Texas Stadium then the next at the Alamodome then the next at Reliant Stadium. That way people from all of these areas could look foward to some state games once every three years.

sinton66
01-02-2003, 02:24 PM
I think that is an excellent idea, however, I'm not too sure Reliant Stadium is available, they might still make the high schools play in the Astrodome, at least until it's converted to something else. Any Houston area people know for sure?

BIG19
01-02-2003, 02:43 PM
There were a couple of games played in the Reliant stadium this year. The reviews were great, but what do you expect?

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
01-07-2003, 01:46 AM
I'm just gonna throw this out there because I know one team got to play at Kyle Field... What about Royal Memorial?

PPHSfan
01-07-2003, 07:36 AM
I think we should play our Title Games in Los Angeles, so we can show those weirdos out West what Real Highschool Football looks like when it is played. :D :D :D

sinton66
01-07-2003, 07:37 AM
Royal Memorial is a great stadium, but the theme here was about doing the playoffs in domed stadiums to make the games more interesting and to avoid the poor weather conditions of most Texas winters. Short of building facilities in Austin to hold all games from the final four, the rotational one is a good idea.

District303aPastPlayer
01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
we could play in california, then watch Concorde De La Salle and LB Poly play afterwards... I think they have won state titles for upwards of 10 years each... which is rediculous

Jacket2000
01-07-2003, 02:00 PM
De La Salle has a 120+ game winning streak, but that's beside the point.
The Alamo Dome is a great idea if you're Burnet, but what if you're Perryton? I think the current system is best. Try to agree on a neutral site. If you cant, then flip a coin and see where it lands.
J2K
PS: The only state game recently held at Memorial stadum in Austin was Midland Lee's last two.

Phil C
01-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Jack, I understand your concern about Perryton but maybe a simple solution for them to do would be for Northwest Texas to get some money together and build a dome stadium like the Alamo Dome in Amarillo or Lubbuck. Also Tyler, Brownsville, and other cities could build domed stadiums. Then the games could be rotated around the state yearly. Of cour$e I realize there could be limiting factor$. :) Don't take this last post of mine seriously here. I understand your point.

Matthew328
01-07-2003, 08:01 PM
In a way I wish there would be one location for all state tittle games...like the state tourney in hoops...the atmosphere is unreal...can you imagine a Saturday with the 6-Man, 2A D-1, 3A D-1, 4A D-1 and 5A D-1 tittle games all at one spot? And then the next week, the 1A, 2A D-2, 3A D-2, 4A D-2, and 5A D-2 games? But I don't think it is feasable..usually one venue can only fit in 3 games per day...but it is wishful thinking..the current format of agreeing to a neutral site I think it the most fair..

pakrat
01-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Leave the system alone. As a fan, yes, I would like to sit in a domed stadium. But as a taxpayer, I might not want to see my school district have to pay extra for a domed stadium or the expense of a 5 or 6 hour trip when a closer site might do. But what I really wouldn't like is for one team to be too far away to practise in the dome before the game, but the other team able to practice there because they are very close.
Some 3A stadiums are not much to brag about, and the boys need to visit a domed stadium before they play a game to get used to the feel of it.

pinecone
01-08-2003, 09:56 PM
PPHSfan:
I think we should play our Title Games in Los Angeles, so we can show those weirdos out West what Real Highschool Football looks like when it is played. :D :D :D PPHSfan you are cool. :cool: Yes, Los Angeles. We would have our Jasper country boys playing their hearts out trying to get that trip to L.A. Talk about a neutral site. It would be a lot more neutral than San Antonio for a Burnet/Jasper game.