mistanice
10-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Running in the family
Stanton making name for self as RB at Diboll

Click-2-Listen
By Nick wade
The Lufkin Daily News

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Having older brothers is tough. It can seem like a lifelong battle just to get out of their shadows; especially if your two older brothers are East Texas football greats Jorvorskie Lane of Lufkin and Jermichael Finley of Diboll. But Diboll running back Ketaraus Stanton is casting his own shadow.

Stanton broke the 1,000-yard mark last week in what was only Diboll's seventh game. The Lumberjack senior is the team's leading scorer, with 17 touchdowns on the ground, two TD receptions, and a kickoff return for a score. Stanton has helped the 'Jacks to a 2-0 district start as they remain undefeated on the season.

"If we play to the best of our abilities, then we shouldn't be beat," Stanton said.

The big, bruising back makes it tough for defenses to key in on quarterback Jacolby Spencer and the passing game, but Stanton said that Spencer's success helps the running game as well.

"J (Spencer) is magnificent, and we both have to thank the offensive line for always holding people up." Stanton said. "But Jacolby, man that boy is good, thank God for him."

Many Division I programs are thinking those same sentiments about Stanton as he has garnered interests from the likes of Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU, and North Texas.

"I'm thinking TCU," Stanton said. "That could change, but for now that's where I'm leaning."

Should Stanton become a Horned Frog, that would mean that the three brothers will be playing at major Texas collegiate programs (Lane at Texas A&M, and Finley at The University of Texas).

With all the success that Stanton and the Lumberjacks have had, beating opponents by an average of 54-15, no one seems to be looking ahead.

"We are taking it one game at a time and playing for district," Stanton said. "One thing that my brothers always told me was to not get a big head about things."

The 'Jacks have been hovering close in the Associated Press Top 10 poll — currently 11th in the state rankings — despite having yet to lose a game. But flying under the radar doesn't bother Stanton or his teammates at all.

"That's motivation," Stanton said. "If they rank us high, that's good, but when they drop us low, that's all right because it just makes us play harder."

Stanton, who says his favorite part of the game is being supported by the Diboll fans, finds motivation at home and on the road.

"When we are on the road and the other team's fans are bringing a lot of negativity at us, that just pumps me up," Stanton said. "I love it; I want them to hate me. That is another thing that Jorvorskie told me: If they don't like you, they must know you're good."

Stanton's stats are letting everyone know he is good, and his coaches are pushing him to be even better.

"Coach (Martel) was always trying to say I couldn't throw," Stanton said. "So when I got the chance, I just took it to him and put the ball up."

The result was a 69-yard touchdown pass, and yet another way that Stanton has put up points for the 'Jacks.

Growing up with Lane and Finley, Stanton learned the game at an early age. He also learned how to keep his focus at all times.

"Right now we're winning," Stanton said, "but all my teammates know that we are winning because we are practicing hard. So that helps us keep our focus every day, and not let anything go to our heads."

With Diboll's white-hot start, the 'Jacks are sure to make some noise in the Class 3A playoffs, but their priority right now is a district crown. That means they will need to keep things rolling at home this week against Center.

"I love my teammates," Stanton said. "We all believe in each other, and that is what it takes."

When Stanton's brothers take the field in College Station next month, it will not be as teammates but as rivals. Of course Stanton doesn't have to pick sides, because he already knows who the best brother is.

"In a race, I would take them both," Stanton said.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/02/00/93/image_5993002.jpg

SWMustang
10-25-2007, 01:21 PM
so they're all brothers but they all have a different last name? That seems kind of weird.

ronwx5x
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
so they're all brothers but they all have a different last name? That seems kind of weird.

You live in Houston, you should know better! jk :devil:

Ranger Mom
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
My ex sister-in-law has 3 kids...they all have a different last name. One name for each husband!!!

JR2004
10-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Different dads.

Not all that odd to see that up here in Dallas. Matter of fact the three kids I'll eventually be adopting all have different dads and last I checked all have different last names.

rangerjoe33
10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
they have different baby daddies and don't get mad...you hear that phrase on K104 and 97.9 The Beat every day.

SWMustang
10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My ex sister-in-law has 3 kids...they all have a different last name. One name for each husband!!!

I bet she's rolling in that child support dough.

SWMustang
10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
You live in Houston, you should know better! jk :devil:

yea, I do know better :D

Ranger Mom
10-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I bet she's rolling in that child support dough.

LOL!!! Well...actually.....the oldest son is my nephew (my brothers kid) and he is 19 so she doesn't get it anymore for him

The middle kid's daddy has custody of her...so she owes HIM child support.

And she is married to the youngest one's dad....so she doesn't received a dime of support now that my nephew is over the age limit!!

KTA
10-25-2007, 05:30 PM
I think its safe to say that the mom has some pretty good genes

Bull's-eye
10-25-2007, 05:54 PM
So they are actually half brothers.