PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City 36 #1 Jasper O

Old Cardinal
11-21-2002, 03:41 PM
The year was 1964, Some polls had Jasper #1 in 3A, Bridge City had a young upstart Soph. that was doing an excellent job. In fact, Jasper would have to beat that team to keep it rolling. For a whole week, Jasper held a stop Wooster rally- every night. Now ole H. W. "Chief" Wilson had been playing Steve Wooster a lot of the game but was still letting him learn the ropes. Friday night came and Sonny Lane, and ole time fan, caught Chief at the sideline an ask Chief to let the Soph. really carry the ball tonight-since Jasper had had a stop Wooster week! Well Chief let him have his head that night, he gained 336 yards and scored 6 touchdowns against the #1 Jasper Bulldogs. The papers down here all said SUPERMAN PLAYS BALL FOR BRIDGE CITY. You know, Jasper never bothered to have a Stop Wooster Week for the next 2 following years......Thought you might enjoy a little trivia.

Reveille
11-21-2002, 03:58 PM
I just new you were still living in the Steve Wooster era. Now you have removed all doubts.

theyoefnshow
11-21-2002, 04:25 PM
so maybe on Sunday morning, they'll be saying "Michael Vick plays ball for Cameron!"

Chief Woodman
11-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the trivia. BY the way, my uncles and cousins live there, with one in high school at the moment. Too bad there is absolutely no chance of a Decatur vs. Bridge city match-up. It would provide a good excuse for a family get together. (My son plays for the 11-0 Decatur Eagles) Good luck in the playoffs- who knows maybe the cousins will both be State Champs in the same year! :)

Old Cardinal
11-21-2002, 07:56 PM
To Reveille: I have watched a lot of ball as an adult. We spent a lot of time talking about some great days in Jasper history on another thread-concerning the early and mid Eighties team. You didn't seem to grip about that. Well it was time to share a little trivia on the other team.

Old Dog
11-21-2002, 09:49 PM
Hey don't hassle old cardinal for being around long enough to have long term memories! That's just life in the Gerital lane, I know cause I'm in that same lane. Enjoy making fun of us old dudes because real soon you'll be looking back and say, damn 2002 was a great year for my team. All of us old timers enjoy recalling those good teams. Wooster was something to behold and BC should be proud of him. Not that old card needs defending, but you younger guys need to tuck this away and pull it our in 20-30 years (you will feel the same way...I promise).

PappaBear
11-22-2002, 11:31 AM
if bridge city survives sat. they should be shaking in there boots because 15 woosters wouldn't give you a shot against the 2002 dogs.

Reveille
11-22-2002, 11:52 AM
Didn't mean to strike a nerve Old Card. Old Dog, I already feel that way. I will date myself a little. I was at the state championship game in Jasper back in 68 when Rowe High School won it. That was a good game and it was cold. I guess I need to take some sensitivity training classes. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forums/graemlins/laugh.gif

JKLL
11-22-2002, 04:44 PM
maddawg, it is obvious you know nothing about Steve Worster, because if you did you would know that there isn't a high school football team in the country that could beat 15 of 'em.

eye of the tiger
11-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Thanks Old Card. I had just left basic training in September of 64 and was in Tech School in Biloxi Mississippi during the season. My mom use to mail me the Dallas papers sport pages and I was able to follow Steve Worster to some extent. You know how those Dalls papers are about teams south ow Waco. :) But even the Dallas papers, both the News and the Times Hearld carried stories about "wooster" Good luck to you guys this weekend.

Old Dog
11-22-2002, 08:30 PM
Reveille....no need to fret. Sorry if anyone thought I was POed. Just making light of getting older. Best part I have found is that I just have more memories and REALLY enjoy hearing other older guys talk about the same memories.

JASPER- GYM
11-22-2002, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised to find out BC beat Jasper in 1964 during the 80's we considered the BC game as a bye week.

BigRed01
11-22-2002, 09:45 PM
maddawg:
if bridge city survives sat. they should be shaking in there boots because 15 woosters wouldn't give you a shot against the 2002 dogs.Maddawg do you even know who steve worster was. This guy STILL holds records in rushing....36 years after the fact. The guy rushed 28 100 yard plus games in a row. Bear Bryant flew his helicopter in just to watch Worster play. Worster eventually went on to play for UT, that won a National Championship. He was 4th in the running for the Heisman that year. Before you make an idiotic statement like you just did, you need to check your facts and know just a little history of the game. 15 worsters.....duh....OK