PDA

View Full Version : SWEETWATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texasfootball2
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry about the all caps.

I was informed yesterday that an administrator from Sweetwater call yesterday to give an open invatation to the Wylie community to come an eat at the High School Cafeteria. The proceeds are going to benefit a little girl with some specific needs. I think the Wylie communiy will be very supportive in this event.

I was wondering if anybody on this board could give me some info on the little girl. We are unsing our booster club to pass the word and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mustang68
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Actually a two year old boy
http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/photos/paytonc/large/4ff1e3fb114faf562166b3b.JPG
Sorry trying to post a picture;

mustang68
10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Father was a coach here for several years. He left to become a missionary. They discovered their son's cancer while in Prague, and had to return to the states to handle the situation.
Key Club is ofically sponsoring this event, but many town folks have pitched in to help this family.
All proceed from the brisket dinner will directly benefit this young boy.
Come out , have a great dinner, then go watch a great football game.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
Actually a two year old boy
http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/photos/paytonc/large/4ff1e3fb114faf562166b3b.JPG
Sorry trying to post a picture;

The website didn't respond, but I'll do my best to pass the word. Sounds like a great cause.

pero chato
10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
I'll try to make it. Sounds like a great cause. What time does it start?

Texasfootball2
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
I'll try to make it. Sounds like a great cause. What time does it start?

I think it's 5:00-7:00. Help pass the word!

Scrambler
10-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I found Payton's web page at:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/paytonc

The supper is from 4:30 to 7:00 pm.

I need someone from Sweetwater to tell me which side of the school the cafeteria is on.

GetRDoneStangs
10-24-2007, 08:55 PM
It is on the South side of the "New Gym"

If you go to the Gym South (go left) and go West (Right) you will find the cafeteria !!

There should be a crowd headed that way that will help if my directions lead you astray!!!

Thanks Wylie for your support!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Eleazar
10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Payton is the 4th of our 5 sons and the first baby born in Sweetwater in 2004. He is named after Walter Payton and Cal Ripken, two men I believe exhibit character and commitment. Payton has Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare type of bone cancer. His prognosis has gone from very poor to possible. We have been overwhelmed by the support and compassion from the people of Sweetwater, Texas. We only lived in Sweetwater for 3 years and that was over 3 years ago. For the community of Sweetwater to do this for our sick little boy shows a level of character and commitment I have never seen before. Thanks to all of you who will be at the dinner Friday night. We will be unable to attend as Payton is still recovering from surgery that removed portions of two ribs. God bless........................

The Chumbleys

KTA
10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
just wanted this back up top

think we can get a sticky?

KTA
10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks
:clap: :thumbsup:

Scrambler
10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
It is on the South side of the "New Gym"

If you go to the Gym South (go left) and go West (Right) you will find the cafeteria !!

There should be a crowd headed that way that will help if my directions lead you astray!!!

Thanks Wylie for your support!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the directions, but it's still a little confusing. I'm just assuming that if we park on the south side of the HS we will be close. I hope there's a great turnout of both Sweetwater and Wylie fans to help give this kid a chance. And, you gotta love a kid named after Walter Payton and Cal Ripken!

A notice about the benefit supper has already been posted on the Wylie Booster Club web site.

ASUFrisbeeStud
10-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Eleazar
Payton is the 4th of our 5 sons and the first baby born in Sweetwater in 2004. He is named after Walter Payton and Cal Ripken, two men I believe exhibit character and commitment. Payton has Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare type of bone cancer. His prognosis has gone from very poor to possible. We have been overwhelmed by the support and compassion from the people of Sweetwater, Texas. We only lived in Sweetwater for 3 years and that was over 3 years ago. For the community of Sweetwater to do this for our sick little boy shows a level of character and commitment I have never seen before. Thanks to all of you who will be at the dinner Friday night. We will be unable to attend as Payton is still recovering from surgery that removed portions of two ribs. God bless........................

The Chumbleys

I just want to say that Coach Chumbley is a class act, one of the best coaches you could ever want your kids to be around. I was fortunate enough to be around him for one year. I hope everyone can get out and support this cause.

KTA
10-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Agreed

I was fortunate enough to have him as my DE's coach at Olney for 2 years, great teacher as well.

If yall can, you need to get out there and support this guy and his lil boy.

Sweetwater folks, yall make me feel bad for cheering for Clyde last week....I hope yall win every game out until yall play Graham (if and when) Classy move guys, Classy move!!!!:clap:

Stownhorse
10-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Coach Chumbley was a great guy. He went to the mission field. So its for a good cause.

TheDOCTORdre
10-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Coach Chumbley was a great guy, and he was really cool

mustang68
10-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the support being generated by the great people on 3A Downlow for this great and worthy cause.

The cafeteria is just south of the gym which is just south of the bowl.
Dinner starts at 4:30 with the typical West Texas fare of brisket, frijoles, potato salad, etc.

Here is an update from his Dad.
Mr. Chumbley has continued to chronical this devestating assault of cancer on his young son. This is typical of Terry's continued positive approach.

"No news on the pathology tests yet. Hopefully we will know this week. Continue to pray that those little ‘body termites’ are all dead.

The Great Saran Wrap Con…………………………..

I had to take my oldest, Camden, to buy some new clothes the other day. I place shopping for clothes right above dealing with an ingrown toenail. At any rate, we went about trying on 10 to 15 pairs of jeans, several long-sleeve shirts and gasping over the cost of denim these days. Is it a petroleum product? I passed another dad pulling denim duty when I heard these words come from his young son’s mouth. “Man!! I would be the best player on my junior high team if I had a pair of these shoes.” (Price $149.99) I would have laughed out loud, but I’m sure I have been there as well. A transparent attempt to manipulate mom or dad based on pride, or the more popular, shame - But everyone else has a ________________________!!! (fill in your own blank) The Great Saran Wrap Con……………………….

We never asked to join this select club of cancer parents, but here we are, and we all have unique stories to tell. I can’t really judge the boy wanting a nice new pair of shoes, because I have found myself playing the same game…………..with God. I know how ridiculous that sounds, but it’s true. This is how the conversation goes, “God, you have called us to work with missionary kids overseas and we are excited about this opportunity to serve you and mentor young people in Prague. But God, it is very difficult to fulfill this calling while we are dealing with a sick child here in the states. It would be much easier on us and the students if you would just make this all go away and let us get back to what we were doing.” Talk about transparent manipulation. I immediately feel guilty of my selfishness. It reminds me of the story of the sailor and the raft. I used to laugh at the lunacy of this story, but no longer, I am the sailor now. A vessel is sinking and a sailor manages to grab one of the last inflatable rafts on the ship. He is now drifting in giant swells, surrounded by dusk and thick fog. He sees the obvious danger of his situation and begins making ‘deals’ with God. “God, if you will get me out of this situation I will give 50% of my income to the poor and go to church every Sunday.” The sailor continues to make deals and never notices the leak in the raft’s valve stem. By the time he does realize it, he has no energy or air in his lungs left to re-inflate it. The sailor reminds me that during the giant swells and darkness, to hold on the raft with all I’ve got and spend all my energies ‘feeding’ the raft. It is my only hope and refuge.

“The Lord is rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.”

Psalm 18:2

P.S. He didn’t get the new shoes."

Thanks again for the wonderful support this cuse has generated.
See you Friday night

mrescape43
10-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I can't make dinner but I would like to make a donation if an address could be posted.

Ranger Mom
10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I can't make dinner but I would like to make a donation if an address could be posted.

I would actually like to donate myself!

I wonder if the Cleburne address on the webpage is a good one to send to?

Eleazar
10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Any donations made to Cleburne Bible Church are tax deductible. Just write 'Payton' in the memo line and it will go for his continued treatments:

Cleburne Bible Church
PO Box 1522
Cleburne, TX 76033

Thanks again for your generosity and concern for a fighter.

mrescape43
10-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Eleazar
Any donations made to Cleburne Bible Church are tax deductible. Just write 'Payton' in the memo line and it will go for his continued treatments:

Cleburne Bible Church
PO Box 1522
Cleburne, TX 76033

Thanks again for your generosity and concern for a fighter.

I'll get something out today!

GetRDoneStangs
10-26-2007, 10:11 AM
The sponsors of the benefit (Key Club) where on the radio this morning before Coach Jackson and said nearly ...if not Everything...was donated by local business!!!

That means a 100 % profit and all proceeds to the Chumbleys!!

Way to go!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

howboutthat
10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
For anyone wanting more information:

The dinner is from 4:30 to 7:30 in the cafeteria.

Tickets are $7.00 for "Brisket and all the fixins'".
If you're not sure if you'll have to time to sit and eat, we have take-out boxes available. Just drop by and pick one up.

Also, if you don't have time to eat, but would still like to donate to the cause, there will be donation buckets at the cafeteria.

Don't hesitate to bring a large group, the more the merrier.

Also, more than anything, your prayers are needed.
Payton is currently awaiting the results of the pathology test to determine whether or not radiation will be added to the eight remaining rounds of chemotherapy.

For more information, you can visit their journal on Caring Bridge: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/paytonc

stangGirl2007
10-27-2007, 12:58 AM
There was a really good turnout tonight!
Last I heard they raised about $7,000 dollars for the family.
:)

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I kinda wish the stangs would of won, even though it is Sweetwater.:D :D NO Really!!

GetRDoneStangs
10-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
There was a really good turnout tonight!
Last I heard they raised about $7,000 dollars for the family.
:)

Thanks to everyone that came out to eat..especially the Wylie folks!! I saw LOTS of PURPLE mixed in the RED at the cafeteria !!

I talked to a couple of the guys that headed this up and they where extremely happy with the turnout and wanted to pass on a very heatfelt THANKS!!!

mustang68
10-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks again to all who supported the dinner for the Chumbly boy on Friday night. Although I would have preferred a different outcome to the game, one could not ask for a greater group of people than those from Wylie. They were a big part in the success of the dinner.

howboutthat
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
One more thanks to everyone that came out to the dinner. We raised about $7,000 dollars from donations and ticket sales just at the dinner. If you didn't have a chance to go to the dinner, but would still like to donate, PM me and I'll get back to you with the specific info.

Thanks again.