PDA

View Full Version : This Year's NBA Champion?

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Who do you think wins the championship this year? Then tell us why.

And please, no homers. It's alright if you really think your team will win it, but give us a good reason.

gibby
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I say the team with the most dope heads and wife beaters, oh yea coach stranglers.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 12:03 PM
tough to tell i havent switched over to my basketball fan mode just quite yet im still stuck on football. With that being said im very excited about the NBA season starting.

Dallas over San Antonio in the western finals
Cleveland over Boston in the east

Mavs over Cavs in finals

(Last year i predicted Suns over Cavs in finals)

JasperDog94
10-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Not trying to be a homer here, but the Rockets made some great off season moves. They should (barring injury) give Dallas, San Antonio and Phoenix a run for their money in the West.

3afan
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
thats a tough pick - I think all on the list except Houston & Detroit could win the title in '08

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Who will win it: Celtics
Why: Championships are won on superstars. To be honest, I don't even think they'll finish the year with the top seed in the East. Sure, they'll jump out of the gates hot and should be one of the best teams in the NBA for the first month or so, but heading into the All-Star break they'll be lagging behind other teams in the chemistry department, on pace for about 40 wins. Other teams whose core players have been together will gel much sooner than the C's, but Boston will go on a roll after the All-Star break, finishing with about 53 wins, good for third (behind the Pistons and Cavs) in the lEast. But they dominate during March and April, carrying that momentum through the playoffs and a very weakened East. They'll roll their first sacrificial lamb (Washington, maybe?) in four or five, then roll Bron-Bron in four or five before finally getting some competition in the Pistons, now led by Billups, Rip, 'Sheed, and JASON MAXIELL (watch for that kid... will be one of the three finalists for sixth man of the year). Will win that one in six, then steal the Finals from the Mavs in game 7.

Favorite team: Spurs
Why they won't win: It's an even-numbered year. They'll put away the walkers for one, last title in '09, but this won't be their year. They lose in the Western Conference Finals... to the Mavs.

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2007, 12:31 PM
If Kobe Bryant gets traded, a lot changes.

I picked Dallas because I think that they learned a valuable lesson last year after dominating throughout most of the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see San Antonio win the division, but the Mavericks win more playoff series.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Miami might make a run this year in the playoffs i know shaq is pretty much done but D Wade is still a great player

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
The Spurs will take it again.

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I picked Dallas because I think that they learned a valuable lesson last year after dominating throughout most of the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see San Antonio win the division, but the Mavericks win more playoff series.
You're dead-on about Kobe, but it also depends on who he gets traded to and who the Lakers get in return.

If he goes to the Bulls for a package including Gordon and Tyrus Thomas, the Bulls suddenly look really good.

On the other hand, if he goes to the Mavs in exchange for Dirk, the Lakers suddenly look really good.

As far as the Spurs, I don't know if they'll ever put together another 60-win team with this group. They're just not geared for the regular season. It actually wouldn't surprise me one bit to see both the Rockets and Mavs finish ahead of the Spurs. They're roughly a 55-win team any given year.

Highschoolfan78
10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
No real drastic changes to the Spurs roster, so I say they remain the dominant true team playing force

JR2004
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
The team with NO CHAMPIONSHIPS SINCE 1986 will not win one this year either. They won't even win the JV conference.

Bull's-eye
10-24-2007, 02:04 PM
The "Texas State Champions" will take the title, as for now, I pick SA. The Spurs are the defending champs and know how to get prepared for the playoffs. Dallas has a lot of depth for doing well in the regular season, but suffers from not having an inside game needed for the post-season. The Rockets have added several players and must hope Yao and T-Mac can remain healthy. This will be a completely different team, now that JVG is gone.

I really don't think Boston can win the title. Yes, they have added a couple of veteran super-stars but they won't have the supporting cast to go all the way.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Paul Pierece, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen have any of these guys ever won anything?

Bull's-eye
10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Paul Pierece, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen have any of these guys ever won anything?

Who will play defense?

Bull's-eye
10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

I picked Dallas because I think that they learned a valuable lesson last year after dominating throughout most of the regular season.

What would that valuable lesson be?

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
What would that valuable lesson be?

Avery Johnson pushed his team to be the absolute best they could be during the regular season. The team was physically worn down the last two weeks of the season and it carried into the playoffs. This year, Avery won't push as hard, but you can bet that the team will remember their last two playoff appearances...they know what it takes to get to the finals, and they now know that if they don't play with that type of intensity and focus every game, the playoffs will be very, very short.

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Who will play defense?
Garnett.

He's been on eight straight NBA All-Defensive teams, and was a first-teamer during six of those years.

And James Posey signed on during the offseason as well, so he should be the sixth man if everything goes to plan. He can D up with the best of them. Kendrick Perkins (their starting center) isn't that bad, either.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Kendrick Perkins (their starting center) isn't that bad, either. he aint that good either

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
he aint that good either
Not on offense.

His biggest problems are upstairs, but he can man up with the best of them. Still has problems on help defense, rotations, etc, and his offensive awareness, though.

Bull's-eye
10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Avery Johnson pushed his team to be the absolute best they could be during the regular season. The team was physically worn down the last two weeks of the season and it carried into the playoffs. This year, Avery won't push as hard, but you can bet that the team will remember their last two playoff appearances...they know what it takes to get to the finals, and they now know that if they don't play with that type of intensity and focus every game, the playoffs will be very, very short.

Not sure I'm buying that answer. Wasn't Dallas fighting for the #1 seed? Didn't Avery get criticized for not playing his starters in pre-season? Dallas got off to a very slow start, but then went just about unbeatable the rest of the season. In fact, Avery probably errored by not pushing his team enough during the final weeks of the season. He didn't play his starters vs GS, which could of kept them out of the playoffs. GS had given the Mavericks fits and presented some matchup problems.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Not sure I'm buying that answer. Wasn't Dallas fighting for the #1 seed? Didn't Avery get criticized for not playing his starters in pre-season? Dallas got off to a very slow start, but then went just about unbeatable the rest of the season. In fact, Avery probably errored by not pushing his team enough during the final weeks of the season. He didn't play his starters vs GS, which could of kept them out of the playoffs. GS had given the Mavericks fits and presented some matchup problems. im with you on this dallas just got a horrible matchup with a team they couldnt beat

Bull's-eye
10-24-2007, 03:57 PM
IMO, it takes an inside game to defeat GS. I still think Dallas lacks a quality big man.

Maroon87
10-24-2007, 04:07 PM
The Spurs get one for the thumb, barring injuries. They still looked like they had a lot left in the tank last year.

Darren
10-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Spurs again......

The Rockets look they could be good this year though...
I think that they have the Franchise back (not that he is all that great).

JasperDog94
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Spurs again......

The Rockets look they could be good this year though...
I think that they have the Franchise back (not that he is all that great). Please don't call him that....ever.... ;)

g$$
10-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Please don't call him that....ever.... ;)

Thank you! Rockets are much improved but West is brutal. Francis is a role player.

Until somebody proves they can beat the Spurs, they are my pick. Hope the Rockets are as good as advertised under Adelman.

Darren
10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Please don't call him that....ever.... ;)

Hey I said not that he is all that great....