10-23-2007, 09:06 PM
what are the records?

KTA
10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Crockett 6-1 2-0
Carthage 5-2 2-0

bigcat8
10-23-2007, 09:55 PM
a lot of athletes on that field friday!!!

Gsquared
10-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by bigcat8
a lot of athletes on that field friday!!!
Your right about that, and Carthage has some size too!

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I'll take Carthage by a couple of TDs.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 11:42 AM
ill take crockett only loss came to a strong Madisonville team. They are playing some good football in East Texas this year. But Carthages losses are quality too so it should be a good game but ill still take Crockett by 7

mistanice
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have an idea as to why Madisonville lost to Coldspring? Coldspring looked alright, but from what I hear about Madisonville, Mville should have rolled over C'spring.

I want to take Crockett in this one, but Carthage seems to be rolling right now. Carthage by 10.

mistanice
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Carthage Bulldogs
Aug 31...Henderson, L 7-10
Sep 07...@ Kirbyville, L 26-27
Sep 14...OPEN
Sep 21...Pittsburg, W 45-21
Sep 28...@ Newton, W 43-36
Oct 05...Mt Pleasant, W 21-17
Oct 12...@ Center*, W 34-8
Oct 19...Rusk*, W 50-0
Oct 26...@ Crockett*
Nov 02...Huntington*
Nov 09...@ Diboll*

Crockett Bulldogs
Aug 31...@ Kilgore, W 27-14
Sep 07...Newton, W 21-9
Sep 14...@ Shepherd , W 46-0
Sep 21...Palestine Westwood, W 14-12
Sep 28...@ Madisonville, L 17-30
Oct 05...OPEN
Oct 12...Huntington*, W 69-6
Oct 19...@ Center*, W 28-9
Oct 26...Carthage*
Nov 02...Diboll*
Nov 09...@ Rusk*

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Does anyone have an idea as to why Madisonville lost to Coldspring? Coldspring looked alright, but from what I hear about Madisonville, Mville should have rolled over C'spring.

I want to take Crockett in this one, but Carthage seems to be rolling right now. Carthage by 10. Whaley was used sparingly in the non district schedule from what ive heard. I think he only had 7 carries or so vs Crockett could be wrong though so maybe he didnt play much that game or something

mistanice
10-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Whaley was used sparingly in the non district schedule from what ive heard. I think he only had 7 carries or so vs Crockett could be wrong though so maybe he didnt play much that game or something

after a little searching, I found the write-up

“We just got whipped, and you can quote me on that,” Coach Greg Morgan asserted after the Sept. 7 trip to San Jacinto County. “They just whipped us, up and down. We had our share of mistakes, but they physically manhandled us on offense and on defense. They were in better shape than we were, they were more physical than we were, they wanted it more than we did Š you name it. What they did was really good against us, but what we did - for what we do - was bad. I don't want to take any credit away from them. They were tremendous.”

However, a splash of cold water in their faces may have been what the Mustangs needed to wake them up, especially with Rockdale coming to town this Friday.

“Rockdale has a lot coming back from last year,” said Morgan looking to the next challenge. “We squeaked one out last year by one point (21-20) with them and they're looking at payback. They have two terrific little quarterbacks, both running backs are back and most of their defense is back, so they're going to challenge for a playoff spot and they are in that district with Hutto and Liberty Hill (the 2006 state 3-A champions).”

Morgan said the Tigers don't have the speed to compare to Coldspring, but they will give the Mustangs a lot more formations to look at on defense and more plays.

“They're going to give us a lot more looks offensively and defensively. Coldspring just lines up, tells you where they're going and says, ‘If you can stop us, you'll beat us.' Unfortunately, we didn't.”

Part of Coldspring's success came with a defense the Mustangs had seen but had not been wholly prepared to handle. Then the Trojan coaching staff changed up the defense in the second half. “Frankly, our kids were confused,” said Morgan.

The first play from scrimmage the Trojans ran ended 66-yard pass by quarterback Chad Allen to running back Earnest Wyatt with only 17 seconds gone off the game clock. The conversion kick by Jonathan Slover was blocked by J.D. Standley and it was 6-0.

The Trojans failed to convert on any of their four attempts after scoring.The Mustang offense sputtered throughout the first period, gaining only four yards from scrimmage the entire 12 minutes.

It appeared the Trojans would score again on their next possession, driving from their own 35 to the Mustang 18. Facing fourth-and-nine from there, Nelson Veliz and Howard Harris stopped Scott for a two-yard loss and the Mustangs took over on downs.

However, on Madisonville's first play after the stop, quarterback Kyle Morgan and tailback Chris Whaley failed to make a clean handoff exchange and Trojan J.R. Davis pounced on the ball and Coldspring was back in business at the Mustang 17.

Three plays later, it was Zavius Johnson putting points on the board and Coldspring held a 12-0 lead with 3:41 to go in the opening period.

Again going three-and-out, the Mustangs punted and the Trojans went on their third touchdown journey.

Johnson did the honors again with 11:25 to go in the second quarter on a 24-yard run to make it 18-0, which is where things stood at halftime.

Had not a 31-yard scoring run by Chris Whaley been wiped out by a penalty late in the second period, the Mustangs would have put themselves in a position to feel a momentum swing going into the half.

Taking the second half kickoff, the Mustangs got the offense rolling, moving 76 yards in eight plays with Morgan throwing to Jacorey Gilbert for the final five yards and the touchdown. Polo Aldava kicked the extra point to make it 18-7 with 9:04 to go in the third.

The Mustang defense then stiffened, forcing the Trojans to go three-and-out, and giving the Madisonville offense another shot at the end zone.

Completing a 6-yard pass to J.D. Standley on first down from his own 36, Morgan then called on Chris Whaley and Nelson Veliz on the ground to grind it out. The Mustangs, facing fourth-and-12 from the Trojan 43, lined up to punt, but the snap went to Brock Taylor, who rambled for 13 yards and a first down at the Coldspring 30. Chris Whaley carried for 12 yards and Veliz added another nine before the drive stalled at the Coldspring 21. In a fourth down situation, Morgan lofted a pass to Chris young in the left corner of the Trojan end zone, but Young couldn't hang on and the ball went over on downs.

From their 20, the Trojans went the distance when Johnson carried in from the Mustang 15 with 9:27 to go in the game. Good defense by Josh Smith stopped the conversion and it was 24-7 in favor of the Trojans.

The Mustangs tried to rally, moving from their 36 to the Trojan 15 before stalling. With 7:01 left to play, Aldava came on for what appeared to be a 25-yard field goal attempt that turned out to be a fake. The snap went to Morgan, who threw to Randy Lewis, but the pass went incomplete and the Trojans had dodged a bullet.

Madisonville did manage to put another score on the board with 1:49 left to play when Morgan threw to Chris Whaley for 28 yards and a touchdown to cap a 70-yard drive. Aldava's kick was the final point of the game as the Trojans emerged with the 24-14 win and the Mustangs went home with a 1-1 record for the season.

eagles_victory
10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
were not very good but Madisonville looked great against us they dominated us in every aspect of the game. I think they're going to be a tough team to beat come playoff time

mistanice
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
from the looks of it, RB Whaley was playing all the way until 1:49 left in the 4th Q. I wonder how many carries he had.