PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans?

wildstangs
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
The Texans have never played on MNF? I thought all teams had at least one Monday night game a year.

Bull Butter
10-23-2007, 06:50 PM
No, some teams go many years without appearing on MNF

g$$
10-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Only Sunday nights so far. They will one day if they continue to improve under Kubiak & GM Smith. Gonna take some time after the mess left by Casserly & Capers.

eagles_victory
10-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
No, some teams go many years without appearing on MNF when buffalo played dallas it was their first time on MNF in like 13 years... its not as bad now that its on ESPN but when it was on ABC you didnt get on there unless you were one of the better teams in the league

wildstangs
10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
when buffalo played dallas it was their first time on MNF in like 13 years... its not as bad now that its on ESPN but when it was on ABC you didnt get on there unless you were one of the better teams in the league

I thought Buffalo hadn't HOSTED in 13 years?

Bull Butter
10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle, it's not likely the game will be in San Diego. If it's in Phoenix, the game would have to be a Monday Night game, due to a Motorcycle show. Other sites being considered are the Rose Bowl, LA Coliseum, Texas Stadium and Reliant Stadium.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5238552.html

zebrablue2
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
why not move to houston. at least you would have a sellout?

Bull Butter
10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
It's supposed to be a home game for the Chargers.

Then again, the NFL had no problem giving the Giants an extra home game 2 years ago when the Saints had to vacate the Superdome after Katrina.

themsu97
10-24-2007, 05:47 AM
being a Texan fan, and a reasonable one at that, let me pose this question... if the Texans were to have the same exact record at 3-4 and have played the same way that have all year except switch one of the wins, Carolina and swap it with the Atlanta loss, would we feel the same about the Texans? see, I think that win over Carolina gave some Texan fans hope that still wasn't there, the team has turned the corner but they still lack quality depth... I still think they are a year or two away...
the game should me moved to Reliant...

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
being a Texan fan, and a reasonable one at that, let me pose this question... if the Texans were to have the same exact record at 3-4 and have played the same way that have all year except switch one of the wins, Carolina and swap it with the Atlanta loss, would we feel the same about the Texans? see, I think that win over Carolina gave some Texan fans hope that still wasn't there, the team has turned the corner but they still lack quality depth... I still think they are a year or two away...
You're absolutely right. That fast start out of the gates, coupled with how well they played against Indy without their best player, may have given us (Texans fans) some false hope, but at least they're competitive now. It'll also give us another year to stockpile some talent through the draft.

3afan
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM

why? its a home game for SD, should be as close to their home as possible ...

sahen
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
why? its a home game for SD, should be as close to their home as possible ...

unless if the visiting team plays in New York? there has been a precedent set already for this situation, i dont really care where they play it but if they were to go w/ what they did in the past in a disaster situation they would move move it to houston....

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by sahen
unless if the visiting team plays in New York? there has been a precedent set already for this situation, i dont really care where they play it but if they were to go w/ what they did in the past in a disaster situation they would move move it to houston....

New Orleans tried to get as many games as possible close to home among San Antonio, LSU, etc. That weekend in New York, it just happened that all other venues were booked.

The Chargers moved to Phoenix to play the Dolphins a couple of years ago...that's a better precedent. I'd love to see the game in Dallas, especially if they gave tickets away for free like they did in Phoenix...I'd definitely go if they kept prices below what a normal NFL game would cost!

sahen
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
New Orleans tried to get as many games as possible close to home among San Antonio, LSU, etc. That weekend in New York, it just happened that all other venues were booked.

I am pretty sure that game was a Monday night game...they couldve played that game in Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, maybe at LSU, or even the Independence Bowl up in Shreveport....and it wouldve been a lot closer than New York.....

im not saying that i necessarily agree w/ the NFL moving a home game to the visiting teams city in the event that the home team cannot host the game, i am just saying they might want to get a set policy on the situation instead of sometimes having it in the visiting team's stadium and other times having it somewhere else....

g$$
10-24-2007, 02:09 PM

Absolutely agree. I went last weekend & saw the Titans game from a suite. Man that was cool! Anyway, Texans still have a ways to go but really like the new leadership under Kubiak & Smith. Lack depth big-time & it has showed with the injuries.

Must address:
O-line (again)
RB (Green hurt & not the player he once was, like Chris Taylor but knee injury out for year)
DBs
depth at every positon

Still, I see progress if we can shore up some key areas. Mario Williams was not worthy of the overall #1 pick, but maybe he can be a solid player. My 2 cents anyway.

JasperDog94
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
The Texans have never played on MNF? Wasn't the very first game against the Cowboys played on MNF?

g$$
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Wasn't the very first game against the Cowboys played on MNF?

Sunday night game I believe, won by the Texans 19-10.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
They only pick games that they think will draw the best ratings. The early games usually have traditionally big market or very successful teams from the year before. The later games the way I understand it with the flex schedule can be decided at a later date. So, if the Texans make a run at the playoffs they may get on MNF, especially next year. And usually your first appearance on MNF is a home game so the hype is bigger.

JasperDog94
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sunday night game I believe, won by the Texans 19-10. I knew it was at night, but I couldn't remember if it was Sunday or Monday.

buffalo2006
10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Mario Williams is still young and yes that is what the Texans needed. But they could've traded back to let's say the fifth pick and still got him along with maybe some other picks or players

g$$
10-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
Mario Williams is still young and yes that is what the Texans needed. But they could've traded back to let's say the fifth pick and still got him along with maybe some other picks or players

That's what I wanted - trade back & get extra picks. Texans need lots of players, not just one. Mario has not shown the explosiveness necessary to be a top DE. He may end up DT in the future. I watched him in person Sunday & he has trouble getting off single blocks, some by the TE. That is not indicative of the #1 overall pick.

Going to take time to clean up the mess.

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
If Houston (or anyone) would've picked Reggie Bush, Williams would've been gone with the second pick to New Orleans. Most people don't realize it, but he was a more highly-rated prospect than Vince Young.

Now what they should've done was traded down and picked up an offensive lineman.

JasperDog94
10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
but he was a more highly-rated prospect than Vince Young. It all depends on your needs.

g$$
10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
If Houston (or anyone) would've picked Reggie Bush, Williams would've been gone with the second pick to New Orleans. Most people don't realize it, but he was a more highly-rated prospect than Vince Young.

Now what they should've done was traded down and picked up an offensive lineman.

And now I have read where some scouts rate Williams as a late 2nd rounder if being drafted this year. That's how these things change. He was a workout warrior. He was not worthy of the #1 overall pick. Should have traded back for more picks...i.e. offensive linemen & DBs! Can't change it now though.

Bull's-eye
10-24-2007, 05:24 PM
If they play at Texas Stadium, would they draw any fans? I know there are plenty Dallas Cowboys fans in Houston, but are there any Texans fans around Dallas? You would get to see LT and the SD Chargers!

big daddy russ
10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It all depends on your needs.
I'm talking about as an overall prospect, to hell with team needs. Hindsight's 20/20, but at the time, Vince was rated right around number 7 overall. Leinart was top four.

Williams was a top-five guy on almost every draft board. Like g$$ said, a lot of that had to do with his workout numbers, but he was a consensus first-rounder before the season ended and before his workouts. His biggest question wasn't his ability on the field, it was his motor and his tendency to disappear for stretches.

He's always been a top-five talent (more than a few scouts called him the most talented DE prospect since Julius Peppers), but consistency has left a lot to be desired.

I haven't watched much the last few weeks, but it sounds like that's what's happening this season. He was an absolute beast on defense the first three weeks. Sounds like he's regressing a little.

Originally posted by g$$
And now I have read where some scouts rate Williams as a late 2nd rounder if being drafted this year. That's how these things change. He was a workout warrior. He was not worthy of the #1 overall pick. Should have traded back for more picks...i.e. offensive linemen & DBs! Can't change it now though.
And g$$, I hate to disagree with you (it rarely happens), but most scouts are saying that the Williams/Bush draft was the deepest in years. Marcus McNeill would've been a top 12 pick last year. Same this year.

Consider this: in last year's draft, only Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson were considered transcendant talents. In the '06 draft, no less than six guys were considered transcendant talents.

AJ Hawk, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, and Vince Young would've been top three picks in just about any draft any year. Leinart was guaranteed the number one spot the year before, but returned and slipped to tenth.

Williams was one of those guys who polarized people. The scouts that loved him absolutely loved him and the scouts that didn't absolutely hated him. Personally, I was kind of in the middle. If I was running an NFL team, I'd want a guy who didn't disappear for key stretches, but there's no question that he was the best DE in the nation.

Like I said, the right move was to trade back and fix that patchwork line. As much as they've improved, they still need to take care of that. But I said it when they drafted Mario and I'm still convinced of it: I would've much rather see them take Mario than Bush. Just my personal opinion. I still think Bush is the next Eric Metcalf (well, maybe a little better, but still not worth a first overall).

Gobbla2001
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
one thing they're saying is they don't want to play it in a college stadium because all of the NFL stadiums have had high-def review equipment installed... just what I heard...

as for the Texans I'll admit, they look like a better team, long way to go, but yes they're better... I really have no NFL team, I'm a HS/College football fan the most... with that said I REALLY want to like the Texans and I've been pulling for them, but listening to the Houston area sports stations and the fans that call into them really makes me second guess wanting to be a fan... even before this past week they go off on Houston people that are still Titans fans all of the time, and how much they hate the Titans blah blah blah, "come back when you have teeth, hillbillies" etc... I like me a rivalry, but for the whole damn calender-year? sounds like "Aggie Jr." to me, more worried about beating Texas or worried about what's going on with UT then what is actually going on in College Station...

it's turnin' me off... I haven't gotten my call taken yet, but I'm loaded, just ready to pull the trigger...

g$$
10-25-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm talking about as an overall prospect, to hell with team needs. Hindsight's 20/20, but at the time, Vince was rated right around number 7 overall. Leinart was top four.

Williams was a top-five guy on almost every draft board. Like g$$ said, a lot of that had to do with his workout numbers, but he was a consensus first-rounder before the season ended and before his workouts. His biggest question wasn't his ability on the field, it was his motor and his tendency to disappear for stretches.

He's always been a top-five talent (more than a few scouts called him the most talented DE prospect since Julius Peppers), but consistency has left a lot to be desired.

I haven't watched much the last few weeks, but it sounds like that's what's happening this season. He was an absolute beast on defense the first three weeks. Sounds like he's regressing a little.

And g$$, I hate to disagree with you (it rarely happens), but most scouts are saying that the Williams/Bush draft was the deepest in years. Marcus McNeill would've been a top 12 pick last year. Same this year.

Consider this: in last year's draft, only Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson were considered transcendant talents. In the '06 draft, no less than six guys were considered transcendant talents.

AJ Hawk, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, and Vince Young would've been top three picks in just about any draft any year. Leinart was guaranteed the number one spot the year before, but returned and slipped to tenth.

Williams was one of those guys who polarized people. The scouts that loved him absolutely loved him and the scouts that didn't absolutely hated him. Personally, I was kind of in the middle. If I was running an NFL team, I'd want a guy who didn't disappear for key stretches, but there's no question that he was the best DE in the nation.

Like I said, the right move was to trade back and fix that patchwork line. As much as they've improved, they still need to take care of that. But I said it when they drafted Mario and I'm still convinced of it: I would've much rather see them take Mario than Bush. Just my personal opinion. I still think Bush is the next Eric Metcalf (well, maybe a little better, but still not worth a first overall).

Great post Russ. I was just saying what I have read concerning Williams NOW in scouts' eyes. No doubt he is a talent, but his motor does not run all the time. I also question his explosiveness off the edge. I would have traded back for more picks. Texans have a lot of needs. But that's just me. The OL problems have yet to be addressed, & it shows. It all starts up front. Bush to me was never an every down back. The Metcalf comparison is a good one. I never questioned the depth of that draft - all the more reason to trade down & get more picks.

Good stuff buddy.

Old Tiger
10-25-2007, 03:02 AM
The top two picks in that draft could end up bust IMO.

themsu97
10-25-2007, 05:57 AM
they tried to trade down but were not receiving what they thought was fair value because draft was so deep,
nobody from that draft has impressed me... right now, it may have been the most overrated and overhyped draft in history...

Old Tiger
10-25-2007, 06:18 AM
they tried to trade down but were not receiving what they thought was fair value because draft was so deep,
nobody from that draft has impressed me... right now, it may have been the most overrated and overhyped draft in history...

Players that are impressive
D'Brickshaw - New York Jets
Greenway - Minnesota
AJ Hawk - Green Bay
Laurence Maroney - New England
Vince Young - Tennessee - Winner
Joseph Addai - Indy
Mathias Kiwanuka - New York Giants
DeMeco Ryans - Houston
Greg Jennings - Green Bay
Marcus McNeil - San Diego
Devin Hester - Chicago
Maurice Jones-Drew - Jacksonville
Jason Spitz - Green Bay
Owen Daniels - Houston
Stephen Gostkowski - New England
Marcus Colston - New Orleans
Davin Joseph - Tampa Bay
Tamba Hali - Kansas City
Winston Justice - Philly
Jeremy Trueblood - Tampa Bay

Of that class 3 of them went to the pro bowl.

crzyjournalist03
10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
one thing they're saying is they don't want to play it in a college stadium because all of the NFL stadiums have had high-def review equipment installed... just what I heard...

as for the Texans I'll admit, they look like a better team, long way to go, but yes they're better... I really have no NFL team, I'm a HS/College football fan the most... with that said I REALLY want to like the Texans and I've been pulling for them, but listening to the Houston area sports stations and the fans that call into them really makes me second guess wanting to be a fan... even before this past week they go off on Houston people that are still Titans fans all of the time, and how much they hate the Titans blah blah blah, "come back when you have teeth, hillbillies" etc... I like me a rivalry, but for the whole damn calender-year? sounds like "Aggie Jr." to me, more worried about beating Texas or worried about what's going on with UT then what is actually going on in College Station...

it's turnin' me off... I haven't gotten my call taken yet, but I'm loaded, just ready to pull the trigger...

interesting that they'd consider Texas Stadium then, because it's one of 3 NFL stadiums that still doesn't have the hi-def equipment. The NFL didn't want to shell out the cost considering that they'd be moving in two years.

And to answer the poster who wondered if there would be fans, my wife and I would go just to see an NFL game despite the fact that we don't have strong ties to either team.

g$$
10-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Reports say Texans had a deal with Jets to swap #1 picks & Texans would also receive the #35 overall (2nd rounder) from Jets. Texans turned it down. (Jets wanted Bush)

Jets ended up picking tackle D. Ferguson, who would sure look good at LT to me. #35 could have been used for DB help or RB, etc. Whatever the case, I would have done it. Williams has not shown worthy of #1 overall pick.

g$$
10-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Players that are impressive
D'Brickshaw - New York Jets
Greenway - Minnesota
AJ Hawk - Green Bay
Laurence Maroney - New England
Vince Young - Tennessee - Winner
Joseph Addai - Indy
Mathias Kiwanuka - New York Giants
DeMeco Ryans - Houston
Greg Jennings - Green Bay
Marcus McNeil - San Diego
Devin Hester - Chicago
Maurice Jones-Drew - Jacksonville
Jason Spitz - Green Bay
Owen Daniels - Houston
Stephen Gostkowski - New England
Marcus Colston - New Orleans
Davin Joseph - Tampa Bay
Tamba Hali - Kansas City
Winston Justice - Philly
Jeremy Trueblood - Tampa Bay

Of that class 3 of them went to the pro bowl.

Not impressed with Winston Justice - he got abused by NY Giants DE to the tune of 6 sacks the other day. Draft overall was not weak agreed.

big daddy russ
10-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Reports say Texans had a deal with Jets to swap #1 picks & Texans would also receive the #35 overall (2nd rounder) from Jets. Texans turned it down. (Jets wanted Bush)

Jets ended up picking tackle D. Ferguson, who would sure look good at LT to me. #35 could have been used for DB help or RB, etc. Whatever the case, I would have done it. Williams has not shown worthy of #1 overall pick.
I'd agree with that 100%. It didn't work out on the draft value chart, but it would've worked out for the team in the long run.

g$$
10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I'd agree with that 100%. It didn't work out on the draft value chart, but it would've worked out for the team in the long run.

Agreed.