PDA

View Full Version : Max McGee

burnet44
10-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Max McGee, former Packers receiver, dies at 75 in fall from roof
By STEVE KARNOWSKI, Associated Press Writer
October 21, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Max McGee, the free-spirited Green Bay Packers receiver who became part of Super Bowl lore after a night on the town, died when he fell while clearing leaves from the roof of his home. He was 75.

Police were called to his home in suburban Deephaven on Saturday afternoon, Sgt. Chris Whiteside said. Efforts to resuscitate failed.

"I just lost my best friend," former teammate Paul Hornung told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "(His wife) Denise was away from the house. She'd warned him not to get up there. He shouldn't have been up there. He knew better than that."

McGee caught the first touchdown pass in Super Bowl history in 1967, a game he expected to watch from the sideline. When it was over, he had caught seven passes for 138 yards and two TDs and Green Bay -- coached by the great Vince Lombardi -- had beaten the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10.

"Now he'll be the answer to one of the great trivia questions: Who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl history?" Hornung said. "Vince knew he could count on him. ... He was a great athlete. He could do anything with his hands."

McGee had only four receptions for 91 yards during the 1966 regular season. He didn't plan to play in the title game against the Chiefs because he violated the team curfew and spent the night before partying. The next morning he reportedly told Dowler: "I hope you don't get hurt. I'm not in very good shape."

Dowler separated a shoulder on the Packers' second drive, and Lombardi summoned McGee. He had to borrow a helmet because he left his in the locker room. A few plays later, McGee made a one-handed snare of a pass from Bart Starr and ran 37 yards to score.

"When it's third-and-10," McGee once said, "you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Jerry Kramer played 11 seasons on the Packers with McGee, and they remained friends. He said McGee's humor defused the tension on a team run by Lombardi's iron hand.

"When everyone else was looking at their feet wondering what to do, Max would come up with something," he said.

Kramer said McGee had a stubborn streak and it was not altogether surprising he went on the roof by himself.

"It's hard to admit and distinguish the fact that you're no longer what you were and you're no longer capable of certain activities," Kramer said. "And I think we push the limit a little bit."

Packers historian Lee Remmel recalled McGee's "great sense of timing" and his "knack for coming up with big plays when you least expected it to happen."

Lombardi once showed the team a football at a meeting and said, "Gentlemen, this is a football."

"McGee said, 'Not so fast, not so fast,"' Remmel said. "That gives you an index to the kind of humor that he served up regularly."

McGee was a running back at Tulane and the nation's top kick returner in 1953. Selected by the Packers in the fifth round of the 1954 draft, McGee spent two years in the Air Force as a pilot following his rookie year before returning in 1957 to play 11 more seasons. He finished his career with 345 receptions for 6,346 yards -- an 18.4-yard average -- and scored 51 touchdowns and 306 points.

After retiring from football, he became a major partner in developing the popular Chi-Chi's chain of Mexican restaurants. In 1979, he became an announcer for the Packer Radio Network with Jim Irwin until retiring in 1998.

McGee and wife Denise founded the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee in 1999.

According to the center's Web site, his brother fought diabetes in his lifetime, and Max and Denise's youngest son, Dallas, lives with the disease.

In addition to his wife, McGee is survived by four children and several grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

Associated Press writers Carrie Antlfinger and Emily Fredrix contributed to this story from Milwaukee.

lostaussie
10-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Max MaGee played high scool football for the White Oak Roughnecks. He is a legend in that town.

burnet44
10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Max MaGee played high scool football for the White Oak Roughnecks. He is a legend in that town.

Yes he did

lostaussie
10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
from smoaky.com............some of this is the same story

Former White Oak Great McGee Dies at 75...
MINNEAPOLIS -- Max McGee, the unexpected hero of the first Super Bowl and a long-time challenge for Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, died Saturday after falling from the roof of his home, police confirmed. He was 75.

Max McGee, one of the great athletes in East Texas history while playing at White Oak High School, finished his 12-year NFL career with 345 receptions for 6,346 yards and 51 touchdowns.

Police were called to the former Tulane and Green Bay receiver's Deephaven home around 5:20 p.m., Sgt. Chris Whiteside said. Efforts to resuscitate McGee were unsuccessful.

McGee was blowing leaves off the roof when he fell, according to news reports. A phone message left at a number listed for an M. McGee wasn't immediately returned.

"I just lost my best friend," former teammate Paul Hornung told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "[His wife] Denise was away from the house. She'd warned him not to get up there. He shouldn't have been up there. He knew better than that."

Inserted into Packers' lineup when Boyd Dowler was sidelined by a shoulder injury, McGee went on to catch the first touchdown pass in Super Bowl history in Green Bay's 35-10 victory over Kansas City in January 1967. Still hung over from a night on the town, McGee caught seven passes for 138 yards and two TDs.

"Now he'll be the answer to one of the great trivia questions: Who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl history?" Hornung said. "Vince knew he could count on him. ... He was a great athlete. He could do anything with his hands."

Though an admirer of Lombardi, McGee time and again pushed the tough-as-nails coach to the breaking point.

McGee -- remembered for saying: "When it's third-and-10, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time." -- put Lombardi to the ultimate test prior to the first Super Bowl.

McGee had caught only four passes for 91 yards during the 1966 regular season and, not expecting to play against the Chiefs, violated the team's curfew and spent the night before the game partying.

Reportedly, the next morning he told Dowler: "I hope you don't get hurt. I'm not in very good shape."

Dowler went down with a separated shoulder on the Packers' second drive, and McGee had to borrow a helmet because he left his in the locker room. A few plays later, McGee made a one-handed reception of a pass from Bart Starr and ran 37 yards to score.

"He had a delightful sense of humor and had a knack for coming up with big plays when you least expected it to happen," Packers historian Lee Remmel said. "He had a great sense of timing."

Remmel said McGee once teased Lombardi when the coach showed the team a football on their first meeting and said, "Gentlemen, this is a football."

"McGee said, 'Not so fast, not so fast,"' Remmel said. "That gives you an index to the kind of humor that he served up regularly."

McGee was a running back at Tulane and the nation's top kick returner in 1953.

Selected by the Packers in the fifth round of the 1954 draft, McGee spent two years in the Air Force as a pilot following his rookie year before returning in 1957 to play 11 more seasons. He finished his career with 345 receptions for 6,346 yards -- an 18.4-yard average -- and scored 51 touchdowns and 306 points.

After retiring from football, he became a major partner in developing the popular Chi-Chi's chain of Mexican restaurants. In 1979, he became an announcer for the Packer Radio Network with Jim Irwin until retiring in 1998.

McGee and wife Denise founded the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee in 1999.

According to the center's Web site, his brother fought diabetes in his lifetime, and Max and Denise's youngest son, Dallas, lives with the disease.

McGee is survived by his wife, four children and several grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

necks
10-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Max had 3, 048 yards rushing and 17 interceptions on defense his senior year... Not too shabby.

Old Tiger
10-22-2007, 12:22 AM
He was the guy who wasn't even going to get to play and went out and got drunk the night before expecting not to play but the guy in front of him got hurt so he came in and did his thang hung over right?

BJG40
10-22-2007, 12:35 AM
My Grandfather played for Spring Hill and he has told me stories about playing against Max McGee and that long stride of his. I was always so impressed that he played against the guy who scored the first Super Bowl touchdown. Just a neat little tidbit I thought I would share. What an untimely loss. I hope his family and friends are able to find their needed comfort.

Aesculus gilmus
10-22-2007, 09:24 AM
The Packers were Dallas' nemesis back then.

I never could stand any of them.

Good for Max McGee, though, for standing up to one of the world's worst A-holes, Vince Lombardi.

The contrast between him and Tom Landry, one of the world's classiest coaches of all time, was always stark and compelling.

It always seemed to me that the "bad guy" was winning whenever they would beat Dallas.