PDA

View Full Version : UIL Legislative Council Meeting

18handicap
10-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm at the meeting and am blogging on the forum at www.texasprepsoftball.net/forums

Cameron Crazy
10-21-2007, 11:43 AM
What? On a Sunday?:thinking:

setxsports
10-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Which thread?

R3Editor
10-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Spring football? Hmmmm.....if that goes through, I wonder how many 3A coaches will opt for that.

18handicap
10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes on Sunday and Monday.

Thread is under "softball talk."

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for keeping all of us informed about what is going on. My understanding is the big issue, realignment and dividing all classes into two divisions for football will come up on Monday.

S Town Stunnas
10-21-2007, 01:31 PM
A couple of questions:

What did they rule about the pole vault helmets and the spring ball for 3A.

When are they scheduled to discuss the new districting proposal which would group schools by their size more closely?

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by S Town Stunnas
A couple of questions:

What did they rule about the pole vault helmets and the spring ball for 3A.

When are they scheduled to discuss the new districting proposal which would group schools by their size more closely?

If you read the blog, they tabled the pole vault helmet proposal and no action taken on 3A spring practice. The redistrict proposal is on the agenda for Monday. The agenda is on the UIL web site.

18handicap
10-21-2007, 02:18 PM
My understanding is that the realignment proposal is a policy item. That committee will meet at 3:00.

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
My understanding is that the realignment proposal is a policy item. That committee will meet at 3:00.

Ok. Keep up the good work. I know that it also is an item for Monday, but I'm sure that this issue will be discussed for a long time. It is very important, especially for 3A as we go to the next two-year cycle.

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Posters, check the updates on the link. They are discussing redisctricting right now.

burnet44
10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
THSCA sent out a survey on the pole vault helmets
I took it on-line

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
THSCA sent out a survey on the pole vault helmets
I took it on-line

According to Handicap 18, they tabled it not because anyone was against it, but need more research about where and what kind of helmets to purchase that would be the safest.

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 03:02 PM
18handicap wrote in his blog that the Legislative Council will discuss the redistrict proposal at Monday's meetings. Check his blog for more information.

18handicap
10-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I have posted the results of today's discussion on realignment on my forum. I'm using palm pilot so I'm a little slow and getting low on battery. When I get back to College Station this evening, I can elaborate a little more.

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Why are helmets being needed for pole vault? People not making it over the bar and fall back? Doesn't seem like a helmet would prevent anything if you get over and land awkward.

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Why are helmets being needed for pole vault? People not making it over the bar and fall back? Doesn't seem like a helmet would prevent anything if you get over and land awkward.

It's a safety measure.

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
It's a safety measure.
You think?

Snydertigersrul
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
You think?

I know

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
You think?

yah, that was a pretty stupid question... stupid questions don't get smart answers haha

necks_c/09
10-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
yah, that was a pretty stupid question... stupid questions don't get smart answers haha Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I didn't know there were hard impacts to the head falling onto a big soft pad. The only injury I have seen in pole vault was a kid landed way to the left and hurt his neck, nothing a helmet could of done to prevent injury.

Wussification of america

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I didn't know there were hard impacts to the head falling onto a big soft pad. The only injury I have seen in pole vault was a kid landed way to the left and hurt his neck, nothing a helmet could of done to prevent injury.

a mistep, launch into the pole up top, maybe fall off of the mat...

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Wussification of america

I agree with you there... you already can't play tag at that one school in colorado...

necks_c/09
10-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Wussification of america Thats kinda like saying lets all go jump off our roof so we aern't considered a wuss.

necks_c/09
10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree with you there... you already can't play tag at that one school in colorado... Wait what?

Kids can't play tag at some school?

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
Wait what?

Kids can't play tag at some school?

somewhere in Colorado... too rough that Tag...

necks_c/09
10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
somewhere in Colorado... too rough that Tag... Woah....

Tag?

Like "tag your it" tag?

Jesus, What is our world coming to?

burnet44
10-21-2007, 03:23 PM
yah, that was a pretty stupid question...

no kidding
12-17 feet in the air
upside down
yeah why would a helmet be needed?
incredible huh Gobb

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Well if you are upside down, and you can't rotate your body and you land on your back, a wimpy little helmet isn't gonna do anything to prevent a serious neck injury.

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Well if you are upside down, and you can't rotate your body and you land on your back, a wimpy little helmet isn't gonna do anything to prevent a serious neck injury.

let's not use helmets in football either heh, not gunna prevent a neck injury

Old Tiger
10-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
It's a safety measure. It looks stupid

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok, that is totally different. In pole vault you are not constantly using your head as a battering ram.

Mine as well make all the runners wear kneepads and wrist braces. You could hurt yourself running at those speeds and getting tripped up. Wouldn't want a booboo on your knee.

Old Tiger
10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Ok, that is totally different. In pole vault you are not constantly using your head as a battering ram.

Mine as well make all the runners wear kneepads and wrist braces. You could hurt yourself running at those speeds and getting tripped up. Wouldn't want a booboo on your knee. Track burns are nothing to play about....they hurt real bad especially during that first shower :(

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Mine as well make all the runners wear kneepads and wrist braces. You could hurt yourself running at those speeds and getting tripped up. Wouldn't want a booboo on your knee.

true that

necks_c/09
10-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Mine as well make all the runners wear kneepads and wrist braces. You could hurt yourself running at those speeds and getting tripped up. Wouldn't want a booboo on your knee. ok, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper in the "idiot" hole.

you can't honestly be against anything that's protective of one's body, especially the HEAD.

The whole Runner thing is just dumb.....

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I also think that the baseball bats should be soft as well as the baseballs... if not then the players should wear football pads... but not the regular football helmets, instead use the pole-vaulting helmets...

Emerson1
10-21-2007, 04:00 PM
ok, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper in the "idiot" hole.

you can't honestly be against anything that's protective of one's body, especially the HEAD.

It's not that I am against it, but you sacrifice being able to perform at a high level having to jump with a helmet on.

Maybe when someone makes a helmet that is as protective, but smaller and more conformed to the head then a skate boarding helmet you could make them wear it.

No it's not, there are risk in every sport.

Gobbla2001
10-21-2007, 04:05 PM
also, golfers must wear helmets just incase they roll down the green...

burnet44
10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
ok, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper in the "idiot" hole.

deep subject shallow mind

necks_c/09
10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
deep subject shallow mind idk, if ur agreeing wit me, or sayin that to me

but w/e

burnet44
10-21-2007, 06:48 PM
idk, if ur agreeing wit me, or sayin that to me

but w/e
I was agreeing

18handicap
10-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm home now......The ASTM standard for pole vault helmets is only from 2 meters (about 6 feet) high. It was said that there may not be a helmet that can protect the head from 15 feet. Two superintendents on the athletic committee were pretty adamant about wanting the pole vaulters to wear helmets.

A couple of other points on this discussion -- DW Rutledge (THSCA) pressed the issue on this also. One comment that he made was that the athletes don't wear them now (only 5 of the 80 at the state meet wore them) is because the coaches and the rules don't require them. He said that he figured that many baseball players wouldn't wear them if the rules didn't say they had to.

JasperDog94
10-21-2007, 10:25 PM

I also think that the baseball bats should be soft as well as the baseballs... if not then the players should wear football pads... but not the regular football helmets, instead use the pole-vaulting helmets...

also, golfers must wear helmets just incase they roll down the green...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
10-21-2007, 10:28 PM
deep subject shallow mind

Milk That Cow
10-22-2007, 09:13 AM
any updates yet?

18handicap
10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not there today. I am at school.

setxsports
10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Where can we get updates?

18handicap
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't know. I had my palm pilot with me and the Omni has wireless internet. I didn't see anyone else except from one of the newspapers with a computer there. I'll look around and see if I can find something.

setxsports
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks.

18handicap
10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
It started at 9:00 and is probably close to finishing if not already finished. I sent a text message to someone I know is there and I haven't heard back yet.

setxsports
10-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks.

setxsports
10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Bump.

crzyjournalist03
10-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I wonder what would happen to state records if pole vaulters were to switch to helmets? I'd imagine that a helmet that was designed to protect 15 foot falls would have to have a little bit of weight on it, undoubtedly limiting (even if by a miniscule amount) the height that a vaulter could get...a couple of extra pounds could make a big difference in the sport I'd think...

setxsports
10-22-2007, 03:20 PM
UIL Legislative Council Meeting Results

Media Contact: Kim Rogers
Phone: 512) 471-5883
Fax: (512) 471-6589
Email: uilpr@mail.uil.utexas.edu
Date: 10/22/2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AUSTIN, TX— The current system for football alignments will remain in place and
superintendents will decide whether or not to add a fourth team to the playoffs in all
team sports for Conference 4A after decisions handed down by the UIL Legislative Council
on Monday.

After extensive discussion of a split conference alignment for football, the UIL
Legislative Council voted to survey school superintendents after the 2008-2010 realignment
is released this spring to determine whether or not to move forward with the plan for the
2010-2012 alignment period. The Council instructed the UIL staff to place the item on a
survey and include a scenario of the split conference alignment using the 2008 enrollment
figures so schools could see how the split conferences would have affected things this
realignment period.

“The Legislative Council had a great deal of interest in the split conference alignment
plan for football, but felt now was not the time to move forward with it, especially since
we are currently in a realignment year,” said UIL Assistant Director and Director of
Athletics Dr. Charles Breithaupt. “By using the 2008 enrollment figures to create the
sample alignment, it gives everyone a chance to look at this plan with fresh numbers and a
new perspective. Giving superintendents across the state a chance to weigh in on this
concept provides a more comprehensive look at the way our schools feel about it and we’re
encouraged by the efforts and wisdom of the Council.”

Conference 4A superintendents will decide if a fourth team is added to the playoffs in the
sports of baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball and volleyball after the item
is placed on a referendum ballot this spring. The results of the referendum ballot are
binding, and will take effect in the 2008-09 school year.

Additionally, the Legislative Council amended the penalty for a positive steroid test
result. In June 2007, the Council passed a penalty structure relating to the statewide
random steroid testing program that the UIL is implementing this school year. At that
time, the penalty for a first time positive steroid test was a suspension from competition
for a minimum of 30 calendar days. That penalty was amended, and if approved by the
Commissioner of Education, will now be a suspension for a minimum of 30 school days of
competition in all UIL athletic activities for a first positive test. A student must
undergo an exit steroid test and receive a negative result in order to restore their
eligibility.

In other action, the Legislative Council determined that all coaches who have been ejected
from a contest and have not had the ejection overturned by the UIL State Executive
Committee must complete the National Federation of State High School Associations
Fundamentals of Coaching Course. The course must also be completed by all first year
coaches and any coach who is not a full-time employee of the school district.

The following items were approved by the Legislative Council, and take effect August 1,
2008 if approved by the Commissioner of Education:
* Creating a specific medium ensemble category for Mariachi;
* Increasing officials fees in all sports;
* Expanding the Conference 4A soccer alignment from 32 to 64 districts.

18handicap
10-22-2007, 03:29 PM
You beat me to it!!!

Thanks for posting!

LH Panther Mom
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm glad to see the correction in the wording on the steroid policy.

setxsports
10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
No new Distrct plan until 2010 on the new proposed deal they were looking at.