PDA

View Full Version : (#1)Giddings 21 Navasota 14, Final

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
What a game! Both teams played with alot of heart and character. Our prayers go out to the Giddings player who was injured early on in the game.

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Giddings 14 Navasota 7 @ Halftime.

leecofans
10-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Any word on who this player is? Sounds like it was a great game!!!

navscanmaster
10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
1st quarter: GID 7, NAV 0
2nd quarter: GID 14, NAV 7
3rd quarter: GID 21, NAV 7
4th quarter: GID 21, NAV 14

NAVASOTA: 25 carries, 223 yards, 1 TD
Dexter Pratt: 16 carries, 144 yards, TD
Jacolby Stokes: 8 carries, 61 yards, 8/14 passing, 45 yards, TD

GIDDINGS: 56 carries, 243 yards, 3 TD NO PASSES
Brock: 27 carries, 127 yards, 3 TD
#8: 24 carries, 91 yards

Game Summary:
1ST: Navasota takes kick, forced to punt after short passes too short. Giddings marches 65 yards in 7 minutes, Brock scores on short run. Navasota begins to move the ball, #2 catches first down pass and fumbles back to Giddings deep in Buffalo territory.
2ND: Giddings marches downfield and scores again 14-0. Navasota will stall out and miss a field goal attempt. Giddings stopped and forced to punt. Navasota rides Dexter Pratt and gets a 43 yard burst for TD, 14-7. Navasota will halt the Buffalos again and advances deep into Buffalo territory only to have the time expire. 14-7
3RD: Failed onside attempt gets good return down to 25 for Buffalos. Brock scores again 21-7. Navasota makes good drive deep into Buffalo territory, Jackson falls down wide open in the end zone and can't hold on to wide open TD pass.Rattlers later have 4th-21 conversion for 1st taken away by a false start penalty that was never whistled dead, and is forced to punt. Giddings is stopped, Navasota scores on TD pass from Stokes to Jackson, 21-14. Giddings drives and fumbles. Navasota goes three and out and punts. Giddings finally runs out the clock after a 4th down 15 yard burst by Brock. Game over.

WOW, that was an awesome game! I don't think anybody saw this game playing out as it did. I am proud of our Rattlers, little mistakes hurt us dearly in this one. Giddings just closed ranks and ran the clock. But I really have to say that the Navasota defense is really stepping it up now. Both teams look to have further success after this one.

navscanmaster
10-19-2007, 11:31 PM
For all who were there, how about the atmosphere! Even when it looked like Giddings had all the momentum early in the 4th, the Navasota fans and sideline never quit. The Giddings sideline got into it too. I didn't want to sit down, but the people behind me were a little bit older and I didn't want to block their view. Once again, what a game!

Note: I don't remember the number of the player from Giddings, but he came up hopping on one foot, and his other foot was hanging badly, and he fell in pain. The Navasota coaches immediately ran down the field yelling for EMS, and the referees had called an injury timeout before the player had even fallen down. Looked like an obvious break to me.

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2007, 11:37 PM
I hate to hear about kids getting hurt. :(

zebrablue2
10-19-2007, 11:40 PM
the rattlers really did a job on brock tonight. great game, the rattlers are for real.

HEMOTOXIC
10-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
For all who were there, how about the atmosphere! Even when it looked like Giddings had all the momentum early in the 4th, the Navasota fans and sideline never quit. The Giddings sideline got into it too. I didn't want to sit down, but the people behind me were a little bit older and I didn't want to block their view. Once again, what a game!

Note: I don't remember the number of the player from Giddings, but he came up hopping on one foot, and his other foot was hanging badly, and he fell in pain. The Navasota coaches immediately ran down the field yelling for EMS, and the referees had called an injury timeout before the player had even fallen down. Looked like an obvious break to me.

It was indeed a playoff atmosphere. Both Navasota and Giddings fans were awesome. Hopefully the Rattlers will get back on track next week against Smithville setting up a showdown with the Hornets of Caldwell.

Once again, our prayers are with the Giddings team, family and friends of the player that was injured. From where I was sitting, I didn't get a chance to see who the player was other than that the Buffs were on offence.

zebrablue2
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I hate to hear about kids getting hurt. :(

you and me both. the one thing I hate about football, injury.

navscanmaster
10-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Well, now we have Navasota travelling to Smithville. Bellville was all tied up with Smithville at the half from what I heard. But that doesn't top the other game. I nominate Caldwell at Giddings for the next game of the week! That will be one of those Goodyear Blimp type games! Wish I could go, but I love my Rattlers! I think the district has really proved itself to be rock solid after this week, with Bellville coming back strong, Caldwell obliterating LG's best defense, and Navasota and Giddings battling it out in a classic!

Bull's-eye
10-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Great game! The Rattlers played a very competitive game and were a few plays from being on the winning side of the scoreboard. On their second series, their receiver lost the ball to stop a potential scoring drive. Navasota also missed a first half FG, but ended the half trailing only 14-7. Navasota had trouble stopping Giddings early on, but their defense made some adjustments and started to make some stops. After trying the onside kick last week against Bellville, I'm sure the Giddings Coaches had their players ready for some trickery. Gidding returned the onside kick to the 29 and scored shortly afterwards to take a 21-7 lead. Navsota dropped a would be TD pass, but came back later to cut the lead to 7. Their defense held once more, giving the offense one more shot to tie the game. The Giddings defense came up big and forced Navasota 3 and out. The Gidding offense came on to run out the clock. IMO, the failed onside attempt and the dropped TD pass cost Navasota the victory.

navscanmaster
10-20-2007, 01:00 AM
No doubt, but I don't think the Rattlers are upset about one thing. They proved themselves to be a strong team capable of playing with the big boys. I can't remember walking away from a game feeling this good about them since the 2003 opener, when 4A #10 in state Brenham took on the unranked 3A Rattlers at the Astrodome, and Navasota upset them 30-7! This will go down as one of the best we have ever had. Now Giddings has to take the latter of a one-two punch in district next week. And the two just might be harder.

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2007, 01:35 AM
[i] I can't remember walking away from a game feeling this good about them since the 2003 opener, when 4A #10 in state Brenham took on the unranked 3A Rattlers at the Astrodome, and Navasota upset them 30-7! This will go down as one of the best we have ever had. Now Giddings has to take the latter of a one-two punch in district next week. And the two just might be harder. [/B]

50-23 was the final vs Brenham that year.

Like you were saying, Giddings did look beatable tonight. Navasota did a good job of staying focused as they quickly went down 14-0. The defense looks to be improving every week. I wonder had the Rattlers played defence like they did in the second half and minus the failed onside kick, how many points would have Giddings scored. But, we can't go with the could've, would've, should'ves. The Rattlers must now focus on winning the games that they should win against Smithville and La Grange and sneaking in a vistory two weeks from now when the Caldwell Hornets come to town. This is going to shape out to be a great finish in 23-3A especially if Bellville sneaks in an upset win versus Giddings or Caldwell.

navscanmaster
10-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Brock: 27 carries, 127 yards, 3 TD

Good morning. After perusing the papers, The Eagle has him at 27 carries for 120 yards, KWBC radio had him 27 for 127, and the AA Statesman beefed it up to 28 for 143. His TD runs were 3, 9, and 3. Anyhow, I'll do some quick math and averaging those three out, that is 27 carries for 130 yards. That is 4.1 per carry, 3.9 if you only go by the first two. THAT is why I am proud of my Rattlers. They may not have held him when it mattered most on that last 4th, but they did a pretty good job the rest of the game. But they had a good conservative game plan, and I would say that if anything on defense really killed the Rattlers, it was those 4 yard bursts on 1st down every time. But the D is getting better every week, and maybe, just maybe, they might be up to the challenge against Caldwell. Maybe...

rundoe
10-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Please keep us posted on the injured player. I know injuries ar a part of the game, but I hate seeing it and hearing about it. If anyone knows his name let us know.

Prayers go out to anyone injured in any of the games last night.

strike hard
10-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
Please keep us posted on the injured player. I know injuries ar a part of the game, but I hate seeing it and hearing about it. If anyone knows his name let us know.

Prayers go out to anyone injured in any of the games last night.

I was told it was #56 and he dislocated his ankle.

1st and goal
10-20-2007, 02:20 PM
#56 is Steven Francis
Not sure how bad his ankle is messed up but it looked pretty bad when he was trying to hop 1 legged from across the field. He will surely be missed. Played both ways on both lines. Senior year. Hope the season lasts long enough for him to at least "suit up" again as a Buffalo.

Navasota could have won the game if for just a bit different outcome on a couple of plays. They really have some talent. The quarterback Jacolby S. can scramble for about 5 minutes in the backfield. Pratt looked awesome, I didn't see him limp or hurting at all. The defense put everyone in the box and held Giddings from any breakaway runs.

Sure wish the Buffs would throw the ball maybe 3-4 times a game to keep the D honest. The lack of any passing game hurts their running game.

Good luck to the Rattlers the rest of the season. Your stadium is really nice but needs:
1)visitor parking lot paved or graveled. Do not park there if rain is theatening and you don't have a 4WD.
2)More than 1 exit on visitors side (in the stands) or at least widen the 1 that is there.
3)Get rid of the advertisements. We get plenty of that watching football on TV.

navscanmaster
10-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
Good luck to the Rattlers the rest of the season. Your stadium is really nice but needs:
1)visitor parking lot paved or graveled. Do not park there if rain is theatening and you don't have a 4WD.
2)More than 1 exit on visitors side (in the stands) or at least widen the 1 that is there.
3)Get rid of the advertisements. We get plenty of that watching football on TV.

Reply:
1.) It will be concreted like the existing teacher's lot at the Jr. High. They kinda dragged their feet on it.
2.) I agree. We could use about a 1000 more seats over there too, huh?
3.) Get ready. That is the first 3A stadium to use video, and the scoreboard pays for itself. You know how ISD's are monkey-see, monkey-do in Texas. But I enjoy the student pictures and the pregame Rattler entrance, as well as the crowd noise indicators!

buff4ever
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Navasota, yall have a great team; very talented and seem to really get after it. I hope that your team gets the positives from this game and continues to do what they were in the previous 5 victories. Your defense really looked good, I don't know if it is b/c they are that good or if it isn't that hard to line up with 9 and 10 in the box with that kinda speed and stop our non-passing offense. But, keep up the swarming and you will take caldwell down by 7 or more and go very deep in the D1 playoffs.

It was a great atmosphere and a good game for both teams to get under their belt. Look at it like this, caldwell hasn't played in a game like this yet, but they have one coming this week, giddings will have to play their best again b/c if caldwell plays their best it may take ours or pretty close to ours to beat em.

navscanmaster
10-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah, the boys need to come out Monday and start focusing on Smithville. Run their offense, and even if Dexter is 100%, don't overuse him. Save him for Caldwell, but DON'T overlook Smithville. Any team is dangerous on their home turf, except 1A Iola (Poor Bulldogs, they are definitely in one of those rebuilding years where a 2A JV team could shame them!)