PDA

View Full Version : Coach Fran leaving ?

87 TIGER
10-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know any info from a meeting held Tue. that Fran is being bought out of his contract and will resign after the Kansas game. I herd that today by an aggie alum.
Any truth to this ?

neck_06
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
doubt it

burnet44
10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
no and way
he will finish the year Im sure
and who is to say he is gone?
he is only gone if they want him gone
if they like him the fran letter wil go by the wayside
if they dont they will use it to get rid of him
just depends if he wins enough and they like him

Macarthur
10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Norm Hitzges on the Ticket said his sources at A&M told him that it's a done deal. An agreement has been made on the buyout and he's gone at the end of the season. I doubt he will be let go before the season ends.

Stownhorse
10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
no and way
he will finish the year Im sure
and who is to say he is gone?
he is only gone if they want him gone
if they like him the fran letter wil go by the wayside
if they dont they will use it to get rid of him
just depends if he wins enough and they like him

Im so sick of hearing about this... He doesnt win enough. If a college the size of aTm picks the person over winning is rediculous. Besides, a coach is supposed to win.

BobcatBenny
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I bet Fran has one sweet retirement!

I would not be surprised if it was a full buy out. :thinking:

Macarthur
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I bet Fran has one sweet retirement!

I would not be surprised if it was a full buy out. :thinking:

What I have read, which is not "official", has said it was substantially negotiated down. Somewhere in the area of $2 million.

BobcatBenny
10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
What I have read, which is not "official", has said it was substantially negotiated down. Somewhere in the area of $2 million.
If I read correctly, he had $8.5 million for a full buyout.

Why would Franchione settle for less than a quarter?

Here is how the conversation went.
[Byrne]: Dennis, I want you to resign.
[Fran]: No.
[Byrne]: I'll give you $2 million.
[Byrne]: We'll burn you with the VIP letter thing.
[Fran]: My UT lawyer will tie you up in court through 2012!
[Byrne]: Here is a check for $8.5 million.
[Fran]: Make it cash!

JasperDog94
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM

[Fran]: Make it cash! He'd be lucky to get 2 million after they letter incident.

Darren
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
He needs to go.

Macarthur
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Ha Ha.

JasperDog is right. Fran should be happy with the $2 million, no questions asked, goodbye.

BobcatBenny
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
He'd be lucky to get 2 million after they letter incident.
I think it was much ado about nothin and over blown by the media.

You would think that put pressure on Fran, but once he sat down with his lawyer, the pressure was off.

I believe it when he said, "I have no intention of resigning!"

That was equivalent to, "Give me my $8.5 million dollars!" :D

big daddy russ
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Haha. Benny, I love reading your posts.

But on that note, he didn't get the full buyout IF it did happen. There were some major violations on the board, violations that he could've been fired for immediately without any form of compensation.

My guess is that Byrne and Fran talked, Byrne was the mediator between Fran and the alumni, and he sent Fran off with a deal that would take care of him and make the alumni happy. $2 million is what he would've made next year, so it makes sense from a bargaining standpoint.

Gobbla2001
10-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I know how things spread, but someone I know posted this on another board:

-----

It is something that I heard on the radio out here from John Lopez, a huge donor for the program. He used to write for the Chronicle, and he has really good inside info. Lopez was one of the first people to say that Fran was the next head coach when that happened. He (Fran) will be the coach for the rest of the season and the bowl game (if we get into one). I recieved this in an email as well:

Met with several "Higher Ups" today. Here goes the news I got today.

1. Fran's buyout is a done deal. 2 million at the end of this year. With a walk away clause. No questions asked.
2. Tubberville is the man we are going for, but we want a package deal. Tubs as HC and Muschamp as DC. We have the extra money for the buyout of both. The hang up seems to be if Muschamp wants to go after a HC job, but things are working out and we should know more in January.
3. Sumlin is the man for OC. This seems to be a closer deal. Everyone I spoke with said that they do not see any problems and all parties involved are working to make this happen. Sumlin is good friends with Tubs and Tubs with him. They both seems to want to work together.

I will report more when I hear it........

----

take it how you want

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-18-2007, 05:56 PM
just a slight speculation; who would take over in the event that this did actually happen?

Gobbla2001
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
just a slight speculation; who would take over in the event that this did actually happen?

judging by the email received by the poster I copied my latest reply from they will be going after Tubberville...

War Iggle, Aggy!

BobcatBenny
10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
. . . IF it did happen.
I like the way you talk. (In my best sling blade Billy Bob Thorton voice)

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it didn't.

necks_c/09
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I like the way you talk. (In my best sling blade Billy Bob Thorton voice)

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it didn't. haha, i love sling blade

"Mustard and biscuits mmm hmm"

lol

lamo

mrescape43
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02

Does it matter? Whoever takes over will be a loser! :D :D

Big Papa
10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

lamo

sidenote...i know what lmao means but this lamo is confusing me...unless it is just the word

necks_c/09
10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
sidenote...i know what lmao means but this lamo is confusing me...unless it is just the word it was mispelled...

s'posed to be

"lmao"

geez

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
sidenote...i know what lmao means but this lamo is confusing me...unless it is just the word
lamo = lame-o

sabre1
10-18-2007, 10:44 PM
This sounds like a dumb way to say this but, my brother has a friend who is connected to A&M some how, and He the deal has been done. Fran gets a 2 million buy out and they left it up to him to tell the team and press.

Tiger Turtle
10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
His lovely parting gift should be a vat of tar and a bushel of feathers for what he has done to the program. "Here's two million smackers - now get the h*() out of my sight" $Bill

block&tackle
10-19-2007, 08:18 AM
This makes no sense. My sources tell me that aTm insiders have wanted this guy out for two years but were restrained by the buy-out clause. Now, the jerk is nice enough violate the terms of his contract and they are still going to buy him out?

GoStafford
10-19-2007, 08:41 AM
He'll finish the season. Then they'll relieve him of his duties.

Macarthur
10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I know how things spread, but someone I know posted this on another board:

-----

It is something that I heard on the radio out here from John Lopez, a huge donor for the program. He used to write for the Chronicle, and he has really good inside info. Lopez was one of the first people to say that Fran was the next head coach when that happened. He (Fran) will be the coach for the rest of the season and the bowl game (if we get into one). I recieved this in an email as well:

Met with several "Higher Ups" today. Here goes the news I got today.

1. Fran's buyout is a done deal. 2 million at the end of this year. With a walk away clause. No questions asked.
2. Tubberville is the man we are going for, but we want a package deal. Tubs as HC and Muschamp as DC. We have the extra money for the buyout of both. The hang up seems to be if Muschamp wants to go after a HC job, but things are working out and we should know more in January.
3. Sumlin is the man for OC. This seems to be a closer deal. Everyone I spoke with said that they do not see any problems and all parties involved are working to make this happen. Sumlin is good friends with Tubs and Tubs with him. They both seems to want to work together.

I will report more when I hear it........

----

take it how you want

This is a wow for me.

Getting Tubs and Muschamp would be huge. If they could also land Sumlin as OC, that would be a grand slam. That would immediately elevate the A&M staff right behind OU as the best in the league, IMO.

BobcatBenny
10-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
This makes no sense. My sources tell me that aTm insiders have wanted this guy out for two years but were restrained by the buy-out clause. Now, the jerk is nice enough violate the terms of his contract and they are still going to buy him out?
I do not think Dennis Franchione has violated the terms of his contract yet. "Yet" being the operative word. If he had, they would be forced to let him go immediately. Hesitation by A&M would be grounds for contestation for Coach Fran. If he violated the contract, A&M would need to act decisively to terminate the contract.

I have read speculative news stories that rumor there is a negotiated buyout somewhere between $8 and $10 million. Which seems far more believeable to me because Dennis Franchione is in the driver's seat. He obviously had an excellent lawyer when the contract was drawn up and that would mean he has one now.

The VIP letter issue will not provide A&M with cause to terminate the contract this year. Why? Because the Feds and the NCAA do not move that quickly. They have to be meticulous and careful too. So A&M probably will not have cause to terminate his contract this year.

A full buy out makes more sense to me no matter what you or I hear through the rumor mill. Dennis Franchione would have to be getting some sort of huge concessions from A&M in order for him to give up more than $6 million. What could those be?

Now, I have never seen Coach Fran's contract (http://coacheshotseat.com/TexasA&MCoachesHotSeat.pdf). Until I found this version (http://coacheshotseat.com/TexasA&MCoachesHotSeat.pdf) today. I actually did a quick search to see if it googled. This (http://coacheshotseat.com/TexasA&MCoachesHotSeat.pdf) is what I found. Apparently it is not his best and newest version which includes a raise in 2006.

So if there were something huge in the contract (http://coacheshotseat.com/TexasA&MCoachesHotSeat.pdf) that Franchione would want conceeded, I am not aware what that would be. I have looked at this version of the contract (http://coacheshotseat.com/TexasA&MCoachesHotSeat.pdf) and I just do not see it.

Perhaps to recieve a lump sum? Maybe . . . but that would still be more that $2 million.

When Dennis Franchione said, "I have no intention of resigning!" He was stating that he was in control, not A&M.

You can believe the $2 million dollar rumor all you want, but at this point in time, it is just not believeable. At this point in time and for the foreseeable future, Dennis Franchione has A&M by those things that do not belong in a vise. So, A&M must pay up handsomely to be rid of the Franman or bide their time patiently hoping the Feds or NCAA come up with something that proves Fran breached the contract. Which may never happen.

Gobbla2001
10-19-2007, 12:37 PM
but if the letters are a violation of NCAA rules why would A&M have to WAIT for the NCAA to rule on it? if it's a violation it's grounds for termination, correct?

it is totally unethical, that's for sure... I'd be pissed of some guy was selling my son's injury reports... I'd want a cut

maybe A&M has said "look, you were selling school information without us being notified... we'll either sue you or you take 2 mil and run and we'll sweep it under the rug"

block&tackle
10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I hear what you are saying but you also have to look at the language that aTm is using. Don't have time or inclination to look it up right now but it sure seems like they have been intimating that the situation is still being reviewed, leaving it open for them to come back in a week or two or more likely at the end of the season and say "we have investigated and reviewed the rules and we has violated NCAA rules and the terms of his contract and we are not paying him squat - he is fired."

BobcatBenny
10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
I hear what you are saying but you also have to look at the language that aTm is using. Don't have time or inclination to look it up right now but it sure seems like they have been intimating that the situation is still being reviewed, leaving it open for them to come back in a week or two or more likely at the end of the season and say "we have investigated and reviewed the rules and we has violated NCAA rules and the terms of his contract and we are not paying him squat - he is fired."
Yes, if he has violated the contract, then why would A&M be giving Fran anything? As a matter of fact if I read the sample contract correctly, by waiting until there is proof, Dennis might actually owe A&M some money. Of course that proof will probably not come before next year, but both sides would be aware of that, and that is a lot of leverage for Franchione and his fancy pants lawyer.

Which in my mind is more evidence that a deal would not have been done yet or Fran could demand a lot more money. Everyone seems to forget that Dennis Franchione has a lawyer too.

I guess anything is possible, but $2 million sounds like spin to me. Reality would point to a much larger buyout figure based on the contract I looked at.