View Full Version : Torre out in New York

Bull Butter
10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
His decision....................

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10417238

Say it ain't Joe: Torre rejects Yankees' one-year deal
Oct. 18, 2007
CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre rejected a $5 million, one-year contract to return as manager of the New York Yankees on Thursday.

Torre, who had held the job since 1995, made an unannounced trip from New York to the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., accompanied by general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost. Yankees president Randy Levine said Torre turned down the offer during the meeting, which lasted about one hour.

"It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said.

Torre made $7.5 million this year, the final season of a $19.2 million, three-year contract. His new deal would have included substantial bonuses for each round of the playoffs the team reached.

"We felt we needed to go to a performance-based mode," Levine said. "We thought it was very fair. It clearly was at the top of the market, but we respect Joe's decision."

Bench coach Don Mattingly is the leading contender to replace Torre. Yankees broadcaster Joe Girardi, the NL Manager of the Year with Florida in 2006, is another top contender.

Cashman said there will be a full search for a replacement.

Just 10 days ago, the Yankees were bounced out of the first round of the playoffs for the third straight year

Mace Griffin
10-18-2007, 03:33 PM
best for both sides i believe... Toree probably just got tired of all the non sense and quite frankly who can blame him

neck_06
10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
that contract was a slap in the face...

burnet44
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks Joe
Good job

JasperDog94
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
that contract was a slap in the face... I wish someone would slap me in the face with 5 million dollars!:D

Emerson1
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Yay.

Like baseball managers do anything important

Global Swarming
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Who cares anyway

injuredinmelee
10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
wow.

Gobbla2001
10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Honestly, had he had this contract this season he would have made 5 mil... not a slap in the face vs. the 7.5 mil he did make this year... yah we'd all like that 2.5 mil, but money was not the deal here... Torre will end up making less this coming year maybe in broadcasting or what have you... What happens if the Yanks go down 0-1, or 1-2 in the first round next year? He goes through the same ole crap as he did this year with Steinass telling the media that if he doesn't win this series he is gone...

you can only work for a butt for so long, Torre didn't want to deal with it anymore...

Good for him...

as for the deal working out well for both sides I'd maybe disagree... ya never know, Torre could have kept the Yankees going strong this next season to make it an easier transition for the handing down of power from Steinass to his boys... Now is boys are inheriting a team without a manager... I know Daddy will still put in his two-cents, but his sons are going to make some decisions that will drastically effect this organization, decisions that might have worked out better with Torre managing the team...

personally I think the yanks are gunna have a great season next year, there will be a new feeling and some new air in the Bronx, but after that it's gunna fade for a bit I'm afraid...

Gobbla2001
10-18-2007, 05:45 PM
you know I'm kinda wondering exactly how this deal went down... I know that the offer was made in Tampa Bay, so they must have met down there for a more relaxing atmosphere or something... the 5 mil plus the 1 mil series win bonuses is down a bit from his last contract, but you have to understand because I feel the organization felt his stock was going down because of back to back 1st round exits...

So did they say "Hey, Joe, we're gunna give this one more shot and if things work out we'll give you a nicccce contract next year, we just have to make sure we're doing what's right for the organization!"? And if they did, was that their true intent or was something else boiling beneath the surfice (like waiting for another manager's contract to expire NEXT year?)...

or did they actually tell Torre "Hey, we're giving you another year so that we'll have time to decide what we're gunna do next year, and we'll offer you a position in the front office after next year" blah blah blah and Torre just said "bite me!"???

I'd just really like to know how that family and organization works...

Tx Challenge
10-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I personally wish him luck. I am not a Yankee fan but like Torre. I cant help but wonder since his contract was up Oct 31, if he was planning on leaving no matter what.

Plenty of teams in the future will have him on top of their list to manage for them

mrescape43
10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Torre had the worst job in professional sports. He would only be considered successful if he won the world series.