PDA

View Full Version : 1st down chains

deer spotter
10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Anybody have any idea how to make the chain measuring more accurate? This is a very important part of the game that is done with a referee/umpire estmating where the markers go. So may times a few inches makes a lot of difference. Just seems like this important part of the game could be more accurate.
Any ideas?

3afan
10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
nothing that would be affordable ...

kaorder1999
10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
lasers that shoot across the turf.....that would be awesome. I guess it wo uldnt work with fields with crowns though

Tiger Turtle
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Just put your foot down outside the pileup, wait for the other officials to untangle several tons of beef, spin the ball around a coupe of times, eyeball the chain location 40 yards across the field, try to stand perfectly still while the fat guys in the vests waddle across the field, stretch out the chain to whatever degree of tension you feel like, lay down and stick your nose against the marker and signal one-half inch short (fourth down). This is not a dig at officials, just a clumsy illustration of what seems like a questionable methodology. I agree there should be a better way (but heck if I know what it is). Oh, yes, and try to ignore the vitriol raining down from the stands during the whole process.

BobcatBenny
10-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
lasers that shoot across the turf.....that would be awesome. I guess it wo uldnt work with fields with crowns though
Sharks with laser strapped to their heads?

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 11:05 AM
If this is done properly it's actually pretty acurate. They are suppose to put there marker on the "edge" of the yardline, and when they get out on the field if they place it on the same "edge" of the same yardline it's pretty accurate. The only thing that could make it inaccurate is if the guys ( and remember these are usually coaches in smaller schools ) who paint the yardlines don't get them very straight, other than that if done properly its a good way without having to have some form of electronic equipment involved.

11TARPON
10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
One day a GPS transmitter will be inserted into the football and a receiver in the pressbox will determine the position of the ball, therefore, eliminating the need for the chain gang. Even when the ball is buried under a stack of lineman, the signal will make it's way to the reciever and the scoreboard will announce whether it's a first down or not. But then again maybe not because that may eliminate the perfect spiral.

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 11TARPON
One day a GPS transmitter will be inserted into the football and a receiver in the pressbox will determine the position of the ball, therefore, eliminating the need for the chain gang. Even when the ball is buried under a stack of lineman, the signal will make it's way to the reciever and the scoreboard will announce whether it's a first down or not. But then again maybe not because that may eliminate the perfect spiral.

And which end of the football should they insert the GPS? LOL:D

GreenMonster
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I've often wondered why the chains were necessary. The spot of the football is extremely subjective. Many times it is a guess at best as to where the forward progress of the football actually stopped. So why in a world of subjective spotting and educated guesses would you inject a tool that is so definite and exact. In exact I mean that whatever length the chain between the 2 end poles is will not grow any longer or shorter during the playing of the game. Also, if this tool is supposed to be exact, why do the referees not ever pull out a tape measure and actually measure the length of the chain? This would make sense to me. 10 yards is 10 yards, not 10 yards and 2 inches. I say throw away the chains and let the referees guess first down or fourth down since they are already guessing where the ball is down at.

deer spotter
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
If this is done properly it's actually pretty acurate. They are suppose to put there marker on the "edge" of the yardline, and when they get out on the field if they place it on the same "edge" of the same yardline it's pretty accurate. The only thing that could make it inaccurate is if the guys ( and remember these are usually coaches in smaller schools ) who paint the yardlines don't get them very straight, other than that if done properly its a good way without having to have some form of electronic equipment involved.

You are taking a lot for granted. We are talking about refs/umps that sometime do not have a clue. I see them put their foot along the sideline where the marker is supposed to be and some derlick trying to figure out what he means. Which side of the foot does the chaingang use? That is what I am talking about when it comes down to inches. Seems like there could be a way of perfecting this part of the game that is really critical.

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by deer spotter
You are taking a lot for granted. We are talking about refs/umps that sometime do not have a clue. I see them put their foot along the sideline where the marker is supposed to be and some derlick trying to figure out what he means. Which side of the foot does the chaingang use? That is what I am talking about when it comes down to inches. Seems like there could be a way of perfecting this part of the game that is really critical.

Look at the first few words of my post! "IF IT'S DONE PROPERLY"

I agree some umps have no clue, but this should be something that could and should be taught at REF 101 when you first sign up, because it is a big part of every game.

TinyTim
10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
as an ex-coach, maybe u should become a ref

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
as an ex-coach, maybe u should become a ref

When my son graduates I just my do that. He's a Senior this year.

TinyTim
10-18-2007, 01:38 PM
mark we all know