PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay

Snydertigersrul
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Do you believe that we need instant replay in high school? Of course, it would be impossible to supply the equipment for every game to make that happen. With the Clyde-Wylie game, I'm sure that has been a thought in your minds. Maybe we could have instant replay for the playoffs. What do you think?

Snydertigersrul
10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
All of the Clyde posters must have already went to sleep

lakers
10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
No I dont think one is needed...
That is just goin way too "up town" for all the little country towns..
I am personally not a fan at all of the replay system in college and the nfl, It takes the essence out of the game to me...

RdaleBoi08
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I Think They Need It Only To A Certain Extent....

Gobbla2001
10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
of course I think they need it... it's done pretty well in the NFL and now in college...

but as you said, having the equipment for every stadium would be near impossible... so we'll just rely on our good officiating for now because it's not too shabby at all... 'less you're a clyde fan...

LH Panther Mom
10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by RdaleBoi08
I Think They Need It Only To A Certain Extent....
***Thread hijack***

Good job, the other night! :)

Okay...I'm finished. :D

lakers
10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
of course I think they need it... it's done pretty well in the NFL and now in college...

but as you said, having the equipment for every stadium would be near impossible... so we'll just rely on our good officiating for now because it's not too shabby at all... 'less you're a clyde fan...
I'm from Clyde and I dont like replay...:D :D

Gobbla2001
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by lakers
I'm from Clyde and I dont like replay...:D :D

c'mon, you know you wanna

lakers
10-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
c'mon, you know you wanna

nope

I dont give into peer pressure...

I live above the influence...

:D

Leopards,class of 75
10-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think thier are enough camera crews at this level to have replays. I am all for it in the NFL and College football.

Johnny 5
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by lakers
No I dont think one is needed...
That is just goin way too "up town" for all the little country towns..
I am personally not a fan at all of the replay system in college and the nfl, It takes the essence out of the game to me...

So refs calling games based on their bias and not what actually happens on the field is the essence of football?

The best called games I have attended have had camera crews

3afan
10-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
So refs calling games based on their bias and not what actually happens on the field is the essence of football?

A case of a ref making a call based on who the teams are is a rarity .... and if this ref was ever "exposed" then they would be gone. sure, refs make mistakes, THAT is part of the game.

Originally posted by Johnny 5
The best called games I have attended have had camera crews

you are referring to high school games? if thats the case you need to attend some games out of the RGV .... there are many, MANY very good officiating crews out there that perform with the utmost expertise and integrity with or without cameras present. in fact I would put the majority of crews in there.

sure, some are better than others, both crews and individuals. but they are humans - there will be errors, both in rules interpretation and judgment.

Johnny 5
10-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
A case of a ref making a call based on who the teams are is a rarity .... and if this ref was ever "exposed" then they would be gone. sure, refs make mistakes, THAT is part of the game.

you are referring to high school games? if thats the case you need to attend some games out of the RGV .... there are many, MANY very good officiating crews out there that perform with the utmost expertise and integrity with or without cameras present. in fact I would put the majority of crews in there.

sure, some are better than others, both crews and individuals. but they are humans - there will be errors, both in rules interpretation and judgment.

Heh. You are correct. I do need to see more non RGV games.

But my point of view comes from attending RGV games all of my life. The refs down here are extremely biased. It is bad sometimes.

Maybe you should come checkout some games down here. Maybe you will see what I am talking about.

3afan
10-18-2007, 08:07 AM
yeah but how do you tell the difference between "biased" and "bad" ???

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 08:23 AM
The fact of the matter is the refs did a overall great job in the Clyde/Wylie game. Penalties were called both ways and pretty much even. Because of one BANG/BANG judgement call that was apparently called wrong everybody gets their panties in a wad. Bad calls and Bad no calls happen in every game in every sport and if there hadn't been a camera right on the goalline we wouldn't be talking about this call, we would still be talking about the game which was a great high school football game.

Another thought to this topic. I like many others assumed the a Clyde player recovered the fumble, but was told by a couple of Wylie coaches that #30 for Wylie ended up with the football when they got off the ground. If that's true and I don't know if anybody on this board knows either way, then it wouldn't have mattered anyway, because the play the happened on was 1st and goal from the four yardline.

Johnny 5
10-18-2007, 08:51 AM

When the ref is obviously against a certain team.

For example: Rio Hondo vs Progreso:

RH's coach kept getting threatened with a penalty by the head ref for crossing the sideline. Yet Progreso's coaches were almost to the hash marks.

It is things like that that show you that the refs are biased.

The instant replay would begood for bad reffing as well

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM

Just think of how many refs are needed on any given Friday in the state of Texas. It's a wander they can even field enough 5 and 6 man crews. The chance of getting a highly qualified great crew with experience for regular season games is next to impossible, because they give the best refs the white hats and spread out the rest as evenly as possible. A lot of 3A crews and down have some refs that are green behind the ears. I think high school refs do a pretty good job overall, especially when there are so many games that have so much riding on them in district play. Bad calls are going to happen. As far as biased, I'm sure it goes on but there's not much you can do about it.

BullFrog Dad
10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
That 'instand replay' option sounds pretty serious!

kaorder1999
10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
the games already take too long as it is!

Darren
10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
It won't happen in 3a for quite some time.

It would be nice but just isn't a possibility because of the need for additional equipment and staff.

3afan
10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Darren
It won't happen in 3a for quite some time.

It would be nice but just isn't a possibility because of the need for additional equipment and staff.

or 4A or 5A

rundoe
10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
I don't think thier are enough camera crews at this level to have replays. I am all for it in the NFL and College football.
agreed.

For it to really work. It takes lots of cameras and personel.

whtfbplaya
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Replay would be impossible for anything other than maybe some state championship games.
Another big problem is what is reviewable, because for many 1a and 2a games the refs judgement is better than their rule knowledge.

whtfbplaya
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Just think of how many refs are needed on any given Friday in the state of Texas. It's a wander they can even field enough 5 and 6 man crews. The chance of getting a highly qualified great crew with experience for regular season games is next to impossible, because they give the best refs the white hats and spread out the rest as evenly as possible. A lot of 3A crews and down have some refs that are green behind the ears. I think high school refs do a pretty good job overall, especially when there are so many games that have so much riding on them in district play. Bad calls are going to happen. As far as biased, I'm sure it goes on but there's not much you can do about it.

Some good points, but "they" dont give the best refs the white hats and sure dont spread the rest out even.
The better officials are given the games in the chapters I know that are more important. They send better officials to a 2a district championship game than a 4a game with no playoff implications.
Chapters that use crews, are picked by the white hat usually.
And at least one chapter allows the coaches to pick their refs.

CenTexSports
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
OK, here is my suggestion. Mount a small camera on the brim of all officials hats with bluetooth access to the pressbox. On a questionable call you have a bird's eye view of what the official sees.

Then raise the pay for all officials to $500 per game and add a replay official. If a coach wants a play reviewed he throws a red flag. If the call is overturned that is great but if the call is not reversed then the school questioning the call pays the official $50 extra dollars.

This allows the schools replay ability and you can then get more good officials.

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Some good points, but "they" dont give the best refs the white hats and sure dont spread the rest out even.
The better officials are given the games in the chapters I know that are more important. They send better officials to a 2a district championship game than a 4a game with no playoff implications.
Chapters that use crews, are picked by the white hat usually.
And at least one chapter allows the coaches to pick their refs.

Great points. They should send the best crews to the most meaningful games. I use to be a coach. Unless there have been some drastic changes, the coaches can only scratch a certain ref or a certain crew, but I've never heard of a coach getting to pick the refs. You say you know of a chapter that allows this, well if it's true I don't even want to know which chapter it is.

3afan
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
in the dallas chapter, all the schools get together well before the season and they "draft" the crews they want for their games ... what I dont know is what order the teams go in but i'll find out

whtfbplaya
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Great points. They should send the best crews to the most meaningful games. I use to be a coach. Unless there have been some drastic changes, the coaches can only scratch a certain ref or a certain crew, but I've never heard of a coach getting to pick the refs. You say you know of a chapter that allows this, well if it's true I don't even want to know which chapter it is.

It is no secret, they have been doing it for a long time and the coaches love it. They agree on refs 9 out of 10 times and there have not been many problems. It is funny how a coach will tell you how bad you are and then use one of the top 10 picks the next year to get you again.:D

whtfbplaya
10-18-2007, 11:36 AM
in the dallas chapter, all the schools get together well before the season and they "draft" the crews they want for their games ... what I dont know is what order the teams go in but i'll find out

In Houston it was the 5a then 4a and so on.. they would draw numbers to see who got the first picks.

THis year they put the 4a and 5a games together to give some other crews chances to work 5a games.

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM

Is this universal with all chapters or does every chapter have their own system?

3afan
10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
In Houston it was the 5a then 4a and so on.. they would draw numbers to see who got the first picks.

THis year they put the 4a and 5a games together to give some other crews chances to work 5a games.

thats probably how most, if not all do it ....

whtfbplaya
10-18-2007, 11:45 AM
thats probably how most, if not all do it ....

Actually I think that Houston is the only one that does it this way last time I checked.

3afan
10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Actually I think that Houston is the only one that does it this way last time I checked.

pretty sure Dallas uses that method too - talked to a guy about it a few weeks ago

CenTexSports
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
There is an assigning secretary and he puts out a weekly schedule in some chapters. Coaches get no say except by using their scratch rights.

3afan
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
There is an assigning secretary and he puts out a weekly schedule in some chapters. Coaches get no say except by using their scratch rights.

for which chapter?

in this case the crews dont know their game until the week before?

Texasfootball2
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

I think this is the method they use in the Big Country or Abilene Chapter.

3afan
10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
finally heard from my Dallas chapter contact - he said :

"They start in wk 10 and work backwards. They have a drawing for each wk to see what games have first selections for the crews and so on. Both teams must agree and sign a contract at that time. A team can only have a crew for no more than 3 games and no more than 2 of those 3 can be home games. A crew cannot work more than 2 nights per wk. They cannot work Thursday, Friday and Saturday."

whtfbplaya
10-23-2007, 10:49 AM
for which chapter?

in this case the crews dont know their game until the week before?

This would be true for College Station also.

TinyTim
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
There should be a better way and more strict regulations for officiating varsity level games.

whtfbplaya
10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
There should be a better way and more strict regulations for officiating varsity level games.

Actually there is, pay the guys what they are worth and you will see more guys and better guys.

I know this has been done before, but here goes again.

Varsity game, this year:
Leave 3:00 take leave at work
drive 2:30 to stadium - get mileage split with 4 others that drove.
5:30 get to stadium - pregame, meetings coaches, dress
7:30 game - get griped at for 3:05 min
10:35 game over - shower, dress, ect.
11:00 leave for home. eat wendys
1:00 am get home.

Total 10 hours work and 30$ gas: Pay $80.00 plus 15$ mileage.

Grand total of: $6.50 per hour, tell me how many professionals you are going to find to work for this?

So as you should know anyone that is worth anything is not doing it on friday night for the money, and the ones that are are usually the ones everyone sees.

SNYDER325TIGERS
10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
I think all playoff games should have it because the calls made determine wheather not the team advances to the next round. I mean look at that ref at the Wylie/Clyde game, thats the games you wish we had instant replay crews at.

Texasfootball2
10-23-2007, 02:54 PM
This is something that will never happen in High School Football. Heck, the UIL doesn't even recognize Gymnastics because it's a sport that is not financially feasable by every school at every level. Same thing with swimming. With the cost that installing instant replay would add to school districts there's noway the UIL will even consider talking about this topic. And theres no way they will just have it for certain classifications or certain games.

There are bad calls in every game, every week. This particular call has been talked about only because there just happen to be a camera man in perfect position, and even then you have to slow the film down and go frame by frame to be sure. It wasn't a big deal a the game during the live action and it wouldn't have ever been a big deal if it hadn't been show on TV two hours later.

High School Refs do an admirable job overall. I admire guys would take time away from their families for a little extra $$, and they are never praised for doing a good job. But lets make sure we ridicule them and run them into the ground if they ever make a bad call. I hope your perfect in your job, if not I hope you get critisized, but image getting critisized for making a mistake doing something that you consider a hobby.

Let he without sin, cast the first stone.

3afan
10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
This is something that will never happen in High School Football. Heck, the UIL doesn't even recognize Gymnastics because it's a sport that is not financially feasable by every school at every level. Same thing with swimming. With the cost that installing instant replay would add to school districts there's noway the UIL will even consider talking about this topic. And theres no way they will just have it for certain classifications or certain games.

There are bad calls in every game, every week. This particular call has been talked about only because there just happen to be a camera man in perfect position, and even then you have to slow the film down and go frame by frame to be sure. It wasn't a big deal a the game during the live action and it wouldn't have ever been a big deal if it hadn't been show on TV two hours later.

High School Refs do an admirable job overall. I admire guys would take time away from their families for a little extra $$, and they are never praised for doing a good job. But lets make sure we ridicule them and run them into the ground if they ever make a bad call. I hope your perfect in your job, if not I hope you get critisized, but image getting critisized for making a mistake doing something that you consider a hobby.

Let he without sin, cast the first stone.

well said and 100% right on ...