PDA

View Full Version : Corpus?

Gsquared
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Is there still a place to camp on the beach? Thinkin bout grabbing lotsa beer and heading down after the season and camping down there. Big bon fire and stuff

crabman
10-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Mustang Island at Port Aransas has several places. Go through
Corpus to the main island. I am sure there are places out there.

tex_male
10-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Speaking of Corpus. I am now having to travel back and forth from Monahans to Corpus for the next 6 weeks and am very surprised at the lack of good places to eat. I know there are a few but I expected there to be more.

Maroon87
10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Is there still a place to camp on the beach? Thinkin bout grabbing lotsa beer and heading down after the season and camping down there. Big bon fire and stuff

Pretty much anywhere on North Padre Island is good for camping. Just make sure you set up far enough from the water that high tide doesn't getcha...

Gobbla2001
10-17-2007, 08:58 PM
you better take about 20 cases.... of pebbles... for feeding the sea-chickens...

pirate4state
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by tex_male
Speaking of Corpus. I am now having to travel back and forth from Monahans to Corpus for the next 6 weeks and am very surprised at the lack of good places to eat. I know there are a few but I expected there to be more. Where have you gone so far?

Gobbla2001
10-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Speaking of Corpus. I am now having to travel back and forth from Monahans to Corpus for the next 6 weeks and am very surprised at the lack of good places to eat. I know there are a few but I expected there to be more.

three words... wrapped in to one... WhatABurger... there are about 60 of them... so there are atleast 60 good places to eat in Corpus...

tex_male
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Where have you gone so far?

Some mexican eatery on North Lepard and Peoples. Of course I have hit the Whataburger in the morning on the way to the plant. I have searched on google earth for future places to eat. Most of the place I know are on the southwest side, but I am staying on the North end so that come Thrusday at noon I can get out faster.

pirate4state
10-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Some mexican eatery on North Lepard and Peoples. Of course I have hit the Whataburger in the morning on the way to the plant. I have searched on google earth for future places to eat. Most of the place I know are on the southwest side, but I am staying on the North end so that come Thrusday at noon I can get out faster. yeah, most of the good places are on the south side of town

AP Panther Fan
10-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Try the Astor...it is on Leopard (by the dog track) past Nueces Bay Boulevard and Up River Road. The food is good if you can handle the greek family arguing that is waiting on you. ;)

Seriously, pretty good food and prices.

AP Panther Fan
10-17-2007, 09:34 PM
G2...rent a condo...what the heck are you talking about, camping on the beach?:D

Rent one with a fireplace, if you want a fire.;)

turbostud
10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
You could always stop at the original Rudy's in Boerne. Unless you are flying.

Old Green
10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
If you 're into Chinese, try the China Bear at Leopard and McKenzie. Bet buffet around. Full buffet of Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and Japanese you can eat. Real good Rib-eyes also. Cooked fresh the way you want it.

Gobbla2001
10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Speaking of chinese food and Corpus, did Who-Dat ever open up their place in Corpus?

the one in Rockport is mmm mmmmm good...

sinton66
10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Some mexican eatery on North Lepard and Peoples. Of course I have hit the Whataburger in the morning on the way to the plant. I have searched on google earth for future places to eat. Most of the place I know are on the southwest side, but I am staying on the North end so that come Thrusday at noon I can get out faster.

Good mexican food at La Costenita on Leopard, west of Up River Road. Good BBQ at BBQ Man on I 37. Good BBQ over at Portland at Bad Brad's. Decent steaks and CFS at The Astor on Leopard just east of SPID. Further West on Leopard & Rand Morgan area is Land and Sea. Leopard and McKenzie area has several good eateries.

tex_male
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
I saw a few of these places, but U know how it is. If you don't know the name U have to wonder how the food is. And I don't want to get sick while working here like I did while working in Victoria. Thanks for the heads up.

tex_male
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

I am driving. I travel down late Sunday. and when I go back on Thrusday I don't stop until Junction or Sonora. I will keep this place in mind.

TxRedneck13
10-18-2007, 01:03 AM
last time I was out that way Hu Dats was off Lepord close to Corn Products Road

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by TxRedneck13
last time I was out that way Hu Dats was off Lepord close to Corn Products Road

there are some all over the place...

Try eating at some hole in the walls like Kikos or some lil mom and pop taquerias...

big daddy russ
10-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Corpus actually has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the nation, but if you want non-chain food you usually have to go off the beaten path. Another good rule of thumb is that most of the best places to eat are downtown.

There are only a couple of good seafood places in Corpus proper. North Beach, the Bluff, the Island, Port Aransas, and Rockport are home to most of the really good seafood places. If you're on a budget and want some good seafood, try Snoopy's on Laguna Madre. Head through the Bluff and to the Island on SPID. As soon as you get over the JFK Causeway, it'll be on your right underneath that last tall overpass.

Here are some other recommendations:

Italian:
-Portabella's on North Padre Island Drive (303apastplaya introduced me to that place)
-Mama Mia's downtown on Chaparral??? (hole in the wall, but what you think of when you think of romantic, old school Italian... Great place to take a date)
-Venetian Hot Plate in Port Aransas

Steaks
-Astor on Leopard and NPID (Affordable but good)
-Longhorn... several locations
-Republic of Texas in the Omni Hotel on Shoreline Blvd ($$$$$Good steaks, but if you're going to spend that much, I'd recommend Katz 21)
-Katz 21 Downtown (again, it's not cheap, but really good food. If you're planning on eating there on a Friday or Saturday night, I'd definitely make a reservation. There's also a popular bar on the lower level of the restaurant.)

BBQ
-Mac's BBQ at the intersection of Robert and Alameda
-Bad Brad's on Hwy 181 in Portland
-Joe Cotten's on Hwy 77 in Robstown

Seafood
-Water Street Oyster Bar Downtown (best place in Corpus proper)
-Black Diamond Oyster Bar on SPID
-Blackbeards on North Beach (This place is basically just a bar with some good food... I haven't been there in a long time, but they used to have a great Mahi sandwich)
-Snoopy's on the Island (Right under the JFK Causeway on SPID... Best seafood in Corpus and cheap, too... See above)
-Shells in Port Aransas (Best seafood I've ever eaten)

Home Cooking
-Hot Rod Grill on Hwy 1069 in Ingleside (A little bit of a drive from Corpus, but phenomenal Chicken Fried Steaks)

Mexican Food
-It's Corpus. Good Mexican food is all over the place. That's one thing I missed since I moved to CS and now Huntsville, but if you need a suggestion, try Kiko's on Everhart.

Sandwiches
-If you don't mind going on a little drive, Crofutt's in Bayside may be the best sandwich shop I've ever eaten at. It's the only thing in that town, but dang is it good.

Hope that gets you headed in the right direction.

Hope that gets you started

sweetwater07
10-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared

"Talking bout the good times and drinkin down the bad"

Casey Donahew Band

tex_male
10-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Corpus actually has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the nation, but if you want non-chain food you usually have to go off the beaten path. Another good rule of thumb is that most of the best places to eat are downtown.

There are only a couple of good seafood places in Corpus proper. North Beach, the Bluff, the Island, Port Aransas, and Rockport are home to most of the really good seafood places. If you're on a budget and want some good seafood, try Snoopy's on Laguna Madre. Head through the Bluff and to the Island on SPID. As soon as you get over the JFK Causeway, it'll be on your right underneath that last tall overpass.

Here are some other recommendations:

Italian:
-Portabella's on North Padre Island Drive (303apastplaya introduced me to that place)
-Mama Mia's downtown on Chaparral??? (hole in the wall, but what you think of when you think of romantic, old school Italian... Great place to take a date)
-Venetian Hot Plate in Port Aransas

Steaks
-Astor on Leopard and NPID (Affordable but good)
-Republic of Texas in the Omni Hotel on Shoreline Blvd ($$$$$Good steaks, but if you're going to spend that much, I'd recommend Katz 21)
-Katz 21 Downtown (again, it's not cheap, but really good food. If you're planning on eating there on a Friday or Saturday night, I'd definitely make a reservation. There's also a popular bar on the lower level of the restaurant.)

BBQ
-Mac's BBQ at the intersection of Robert and Alameda
-Bad Brad's on Hwy 181 in Portland
-Joe Cotten's on Hwy 77 in Robstown

Seafood
-Water Street Oyster Bar Downtown (best place in Corpus proper)
-Black Diamond Oyster Bar on SPID
-Blackbeards on North Beach (This place is basically just a bar with some good food... I haven't been there in a long time, but they used to have a great Mahi sandwich)
-Snoopy's on the Island (Right under the JFK Causeway on SPID... Best seafood in Corpus and cheap, too... See above)
-Shells in Port Aransas (Best seafood I've ever eaten)

Home Cooking
-Hot Rod Grill on Hwy 1069 in Ingleside (A little bit of a drive from Corpus, but phenomenal Chicken Fried Steaks)

Mexican Food
-It's Corpus. Good Mexican food is all over the place. That's one thing I missed since I moved to CS and now Huntsville, but if you need a suggestion, try Kiko's on Everhart.

Sandwiches
-If you don't mind going on a little drive, Crofutt's in Bayside may be the best sandwich shop I've ever eaten at. It's the only thing in that town, but dang is it good.

Hope that gets you headed in the right direction.

Hope that gets you started

Now this is the kind of list I was looking for. The guys in the area that I am working with have have helped also.
When on the company dime you have to eat good.
I am going to have to find a good walking area soon.

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Now this is the kind of list I was looking for. The guys in the area that I am working with have have helped also.
When on the company dime you have to eat good.
I am going to have to find a good walking area soon.

where about in the city are you located at for work?

tex_male
10-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Mckinzey past the high school a few miles. Enterprise Shoup Plant

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Mckinzey past the high school a few miles

so you are off of Hwy 44 then?

tex_male
10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Sorry i added the Shoup Plant after you posted

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Steaks

There are 2 locations, I think, but the best one is off of Alemeda. The one off of SPID is CRAP! :hairpunk:

The atmosphere, food & service at the Longhorn on Alemeda is awesome! :thumbsup: Several of us DL'ers went there a year or two ago for dinner. :)

44INAROW
10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
If you 're into Chinese, try the China Bear at Leopard and McKenzie. Bet buffet around. Full buffet of Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and Japanese you can eat. Real good Rib-eyes also. Cooked fresh the way you want it.

take his word on this one - Old Green does lots of traveling - :p

[i]The atmosphere, food & service at the Longhorn on Alemeda is awesome! :thumbsup: Several of us DL'ers went there a year or two ago for dinner. :) [/B]

hhmm yea, I was there..........

;)

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Sorry i added the Shoup Plant after you posted

its all good... there is a really good Chinese buffet around where you are at... its on 77 across from walmart... and you actually really really close to downtown...

piratebg
10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
If you are looking for good burgers, then head out to Wallbangers at 4102 S Staples, just past Everhart.

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
take his word on this one - Old Green does lots of traveling - :p

hhmm yea, I was there..........

;)

yep - you need to come back down here so we can go to dinner. bring OG & GG with you & we'll see about getting Gp83 there. HAHA

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
If you are looking for good burgers, then head out to Wallbangers at 4102 S Staples, just past Everhart.

Over-Rated!!!!

Big House Burgers in Kingsville... I kid you not, they have a burger that had a fresh skinned avacado in it.. with mushrooms, bacon, swiss, and jalapenos... amazing.

piratebg
10-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Over-Rated!!!!

Big House Burgers in Kingsville... I kid you not, they have a burger that had a fresh skinned avacado in it.. with mushrooms, bacon, swiss, and jalapenos... amazing.

Better and cheaper than Fudruckers. Plus, I don't know if he'd make the drive to Kingsville for a burger. I wouldn't.

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Better and cheaper than Fudruckers. Plus, I don't know if he'd make the drive to Kingsville for I burger. I wouldn't.

i spent two years eating Chris Madrids in San Antonio... so yeah...

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
well just b/c YOU don't like it doesn't mean others won't LOL

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
well just b/c YOU don't like it doesn't mean others won't LOL

Double Stuffed with Shrooms and Cheddar i will down... don't get me wrong...

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Double Stuffed with Shrooms and Cheddar i will down... don't get me wrong... i don't know how yall eat all that meat and then top it with all that other stuff :eek: how do you bite into it??

piratebg
10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
If you like buffet, you should check out The Palace. It's a nice, family oriented place at 5850 Everhart, a block and a half off of SPID. The lunch buffet is very popular. :thumbsup:

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:45 AM
If you like buffet, you should check out The Palace. It's a nice, family oriented place at 5850 Everhart, a block and a half off of SPID. The lunch buffet is very popular. :thumbsup: ROFL :doh: I'm sure you only know about it b/c of the commercials on the radio :p

piratebg
10-18-2007, 09:47 AM
ROFL :doh: I'm sure you only know about it b/c of the commercials on the radio :p

Ain't nothin wrong with dinner and a show. :p ;)

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Ain't nothin wrong with dinner and a show. :p ;) uh huh you can't even go to the football game!!! HAHAHAHA :evillol:

piratebg
10-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the knock upside my head Rita. I am now back on Earth. :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry:

family board, dude!

44INAROW
10-18-2007, 09:54 AM
yep - you need to come back down here so we can go to dinner. bring OG & GG with you & we'll see about getting Gp83 there. HAHA

HOPEFULLY if things work out we'll be headed that direction around Thanksgiving.. and we'll make plans ;)

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the knock upside my head Rita. I am now back on Earth. :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry:

family board, dude!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

DUDE!!!

You must have hit your head pretty hard to be saying those kinds of things on here! :dispntd:

piratebg
10-18-2007, 09:58 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

DUDE!!!

You must have hit your head pretty hard to be saying those kinds of things on here! :dispntd:

It was a long fall. :(

Buccaneer
10-18-2007, 10:15 AM
If you like Cajun food try Crawdaddy's downtown on Starr St. You can get a cajun boil of shrimp. sausage, corn and potatoes and/or crawfish.

There is also a new one on Airline where Rusty's was.

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
If you like Cajun food try Crawdaddy's downtown on Starr St. You can get a cajun boil of shrimp. sausage, corn and potatoes and/or crawfish.

There is also a new one on Airline where Rusty's was.

The one on Airline doesn't have the same atmosphere as the one downtown...I guess it's too new.;)

piratebg
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Anyone else a fan of the Taqueria Jaliscos? The one on Cimarron and the one on Horne are my favorites.

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
A good place to get a burger is Julio's...it's on Greenwood between SPID and Saratoga. It's a little hole in the wall in a not-real-good part of town but those burgers are lethal.:cool:

Buccaneer
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM

I love that place but most people won't eat there since they caught the owner storing cat in his meat locker. It wasn't like he was serving it. It was all for personal use.

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Anyone else a fan of the Taqueria Jaliscos? The one on Cimarron and the one on Horne are my favorites.

Two Carne Guisadas

and anyone like Dentoni's?

44INAROW
10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I love that place but most people won't eat there since they caught the owner storing cat in his meat locker. It wasn't like he was serving it. It was all for personal use.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 10:27 AM

WHAT!?@#!(#@! :eek: :eek: :hairpunk: :eek: :eek:

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 10:30 AM

That's the funniest post I've seen in a while...:clap: :clap:

Old Green
10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
I love that place but most people won't eat there since they caught the owner storing cat in his meat locker. It wasn't like he was serving it. It was all for personal use. Oh Man !:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That just spoiled it for me. That's the only Chinese restaurant I will eat at because it was always fresh.:(

Buccaneer
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The one on Airline doesn't have the same atmosphere as the one downtown...I guess it's too new.;)

The new one is too big and open. I think they even have a patio. The downtown one is a lot like the original Black Diamond Oyster Bar on Airline with great food and cramped seating and you were always guaranteed to get a good dose of second hand cancer before the smoking ban.

piratebg
10-18-2007, 10:33 AM
All of sudden I feel like having me some China Bear. Love their steaks. :)

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh Man !:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That just spoiled it for me. That's the only Chinese restaurant I will eat at because it was always fresh.:(

Try Golden City across from Wal Mart...

Old Green
10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Try Golden City across from Wal Mart... Which Wal mart Location in CC?:confused:

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Which Wal mart Location in CC?:confused:

Down in Annaville... or calallen, wahtev...

there is a road right next to the fire house on leapord by the highway... hang a left down the road, hang the first right... and follow that road til you get to a stop sign, at the stop sign, hang a right... and you are at the restaurant.

Old Green
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Down in Annaville... or calallen, wahtev...

there is a road right next to the fire house on leapord by the highway... hang a left down the road, hang the first right... and follow that road til you get to a stop sign, at the stop sign, hang a right... and you are at the restaurant. Okay ! I know here it's at. I'll try next time I'm in CC. Thanks:)

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
U & I downtown is pretty good too. That's my mother in law's favorite restaurant on the planet, which means I've eaten there about 4,000 times.

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Try Golden City across from Wal Mart...

That's the one that was Nolan's for a long time and then Silverado, right?

Old Green
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
That's the one that was Nolan's for a long time, right? Yep !

District303aPastPlayer
10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
U & I downtown is pretty good too. That's my mother in law's favorite restaurant on the planet, which means I've eaten there about 4,000 times.

they have an amazing fried fishermans platter...

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
they have an amazing fried fishermans platter...

When I'm there I just try to block out the fact that there was a double murder in the kitchen in 1992. :doh:

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 11:06 AM
When I'm there I just try to block out the fact that there was a double murder in the kitchen in 1992. :doh: wha....:eek: :eek:

44INAROW
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM

Val, if it's fresh, you're ok - it's the FROZEN stuff you need to be worried about :D

Old Green
10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Val, if it's fresh, you're ok - it's the FROZEN stuff you need to be worried about :D That's why I like the China Bear. Sinton66 turned me on to that restaurant a couple years ago at a M & G for the Burnet-Sinton game. Stomach is very queazy right now.:(

Maroon87
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
wha....:eek: :eek:

Yeah...the owner and his wife were shot by an ex-employee. I think the dude is still on death row.

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Stomach is very queazy right now.:( Are you sure it's the food that's making you sick? :D

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah...the owner and his wife were shot by an ex-employee. I think the dude is still on death row. wow no clue

Old Green
10-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Are you sure it's the food that's making you sick? :D Just the thought of a dead cat around the food.:(

Gobbla2001
10-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

uhmmm Original was in Leon Springs (I say "was" because I heard it had burned down a couple of years back, or maybe last year)...

Gobbla2001
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
uhmmm Original was in Leon Springs (I say "was" because I heard it had burned down a couple of years back, or maybe last year)...

can't find a link to a fire or anything... maybe it was another location I heard of or something...

but while trying to find something on it I ran across a reminder of how Rudy's even started... it was just a gas station named "Rudolph's Grocery" and BBQ was added after new owners purchased the store...

AP Panther Fan
10-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Old Green....you should only frequent this place when your stomach rather than growling is making a meeowing sound.

:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)