PDA

View Full Version : Who's the next 1st time World Series team?

Maroon87
10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Only 4 have yet to go...

VWG
10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Mariners are closer than the rest of the three.

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I was thinking the Astros would be in this poll. But they were in the WS once, not long enough to get their feet wet, though:(

Maroon87
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
D-Rays have some great young talent but they need a new park to produce some better revenue. Same with the Nats, who get a new park this year or next.

Maroon87
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I was thinking the Astros would be in this poll. But they were in the WS once, not long enough to get their feet wet, though:(

Well one of the games they played was 14 or 15 innings so they got a little bonus action.;)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
RANGERS

Leopards,class of 75
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Mariners

neck_06
10-16-2007, 08:18 PM
DEVIL RAYS

JR2004
10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
King Felix will get the M's there at some point. The other three may never make it.

lakers
10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I am predictin and hopin that the rangers will make it next time around...:D

crzyjournalist03
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Rangers are closest right now.

They have young talent at every position in the organization, but the talent is starting to show signs of coming into its own. The Devil Rays have zero quality verterans to lead their youngsters. The Nats have a bad team and good manager. The Mariners have an aging team (Ichiro, Sexson, Broussard, Beltre) with young talent, but the door may be closing on them before they have a chance to bust it open.

eagles_victory
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
King Felix will get the M's there at some point. The other three may never make it. too inconsistent i remember seeing you brag on a thread after he nearly no hit boston early in the year about how you got the best trade ever when you traded Jake Peavy for King Felix hows that working out for you know?

Texasfootball2
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

They have young talent at every position in the organization, but the talent is starting to show signs of coming into its own. The Devil Rays have zero quality verterans to lead their youngsters. The Nats have a bad team and good manager. The Mariners have an aging team (Ichiro, Sexson, Broussard, Beltre) with young talent, but the door may be closing on them before they have a chance to bust it open.

I totally agree with you, especially if they sign Tory Hunter to lead off and play centerfield. If their good young pitching comes through for them they should be very competitive next year. But, having said that, they are still the Rangers and they will probably sign a bunch of big free agent Bats ( like BONDS), and ignore their pitching staff.

Txbroadcaster
10-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I totally agree with you, especially if they sign Tory Hunter to lead off and play centerfield. If their good young pitching comes through for them they should be very competitive next year. But, having said that, they are still the Rangers and they will probably sign a bunch of big free agent Bats ( like BONDS), and ignore their pitching staff.

they have not ignored their pitching for the last few years..they just have yet to land the #1 Ace type pitcher, but they have tried, and thrown money at pitchers who just did not want to come here.

eagles_victory
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I totally agree with you, especially if they sign Tory Hunter to lead off and play centerfield. If their good young pitching comes through for them they should be very competitive next year. But, having said that, they are still the Rangers and they will probably sign a bunch of big free agent Bats ( like BONDS), and ignore their pitching staff. Toriee Hunter isnt really a lead off guy i kinda hope they dont sign him

Texasfootball2
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
they have not ignored their pitching for the last few years..they just have yet to land the #1 Ace type pitcher, but they have tried, and thrown money at pitchers who just did not want to come here.

Can't argue with you with that. Great pitchers are scared to come to the ball park, usually take a little bit less $$$$$ to pitch elsewhere.

JR2004
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

LOL...

crzyjournalist03
10-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Can't argue with you with that. Great pitchers are scared to come to the ball park, usually take a little bit less $$$$$ to pitch elsewhere.

or in the case of Matsuzaka or Zito, teams will WAY overpay for their services, and the Rangers aren't doing that anymore.

Right now, their rotation next year is actually already in better shape than most years:

1. Millwood
2. Padilla (unless someone takes his contract)
3. Gabbard
4. McCarthy
5. Volquez/Hurley/Murray

Gabbard was a steal in the Gagne trade. Millwood isn't a number 1, but he's a quality #2, and was never fully healthy until the end of this year and then looked like the guy the Rangers paid for.
McCarthy has some developing to do, but he's not going to get the Rangers killed, and Volquez, Murray, and Hurley will fight it out for the #5 spot with several others waiting in the wings including Ben Harrison, Thomas Diamond, Robinson Tejeda (if he ever gets his control problems fixed), or Kam Loe.

Not a frightening five by any means, but this year's FA crop of pitchers is ridiculously shallow and wouldn't be an upgrade over anybody that the team already has.

crzyjournalist03
10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
LOL...

I don't see why you think that's so funny...I explained exactly why I feel that way.

JR2004
10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
too inconsistent i remember seeing you brag on a thread after he nearly no hit boston early in the year about how you got the best trade ever when you traded Jake Peavy for King Felix hows that working out for you know?

LOL...Never called it the best trade ever, but not shocked with this uninformed reply.

Would do the trade again in a heartbeat to have a guy, who at 21 years of age, is the ace of his staff. Being the intelligent fan that you are I'm sure you can tell me off the top of your head where Jake Peavy was at that same age, right? You could also tell me where Peavy was pitching at as a 19 and 20 year old as well, right? We could discuss El Cartuela's repetoire as well, but I'm sure you're well aware of that too, right?