PDA

View Full Version : 268 6/8 B & C

luvhoops34
10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
October 16, 2007
Outdoor Journal: At 268+, it's a buck for the books

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/goodspeed/archives/101607_barrett.jpg
Marco Barrett of San Antonio shot this 34-point deer with a large drop tine that measured a gross score of 268 6/8. (Courtesy photo)

The deer season is not off to a good start, it's off to a great start.

What may be the third biggest non-typical buck ever harvested in Texas is the leader in the Los Cazadores contest — as well as its record-breaking entry.

It scored 273+ in velvet, and after deducting 2 percent for that, it will hit the books with a gross Boone & Crockett score of 268 6/8, said Larry Weishuhn of Los Cazadores, who scored it with store manager Trey Moore.

"I think it will be one of the biggest grossing heads in Texas since 1929 when a gentleman by the name of Fred Mudge killed a deer that netted around the 260s," Weishuhn said.

Marco Barrett of San Antonio shot the deer on Las Raices Ranch in northern Webb County during a Managed Lands Deer Permit hunt.

The MLDP program allows gun hunts for an extended season, which opened on Sept. 29, the same as archery season.

The 78-point Brady Buck, the former world record holder taken in McCulloch County in 1892, is still tops in Texas with a score of 286.

Barrett's buck basically is a 6x6 with 34 points of more than one inch with the bigger tines hitting 8 or 9 inches; a large drop tine; 28-inch or so main beams and an inside spread of 22 6/8 inches.

"It's absolutely a great deer," Weishuhn said. "It's the biggest deer ever entered in Los Cazadores. "The biggest before that was 249 2/8 in 1999 and 248 1/8 last year."

The ranch is high fenced and has a supplemental feeding program.

But range conditions get a lot of credit, with rains coming at the right time all year.

Many other large bucks are being entered in the contest.

Last Friday Los Cazadores got another big entry, a buck grossing 251 6/8 from another MLDP hunt, this time in Frio County by Misty Schnautz of Devine.

"The beauty of both those big deer is that they're 100 percent pure Texas deer," Weishuhn said. "Those ranches have never had an infusion of northern blood or anything like that."

Both field dressed at between 170 and 180 pounds.

Archers are doing well, too, with a 10-point buck with two kickers from Zavala County grossing 194 7/8.

It's among three bucks topping 190 in the contest.

Weishuhn, though, is not sure the Barrett buck will remain the leader.

"Who knows? Some guys have dropped by the store with trail camera photographs of other bucks that look like they could score that high," he said.

"This is going to be a tremendous year."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/goodspeed/

lostaussie
10-16-2007, 07:31 PM
and all I'm looking for is a 150:thinking:.................but when and if I get it, it won't be high fenced.

44INAROW
10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
and all I'm looking for is a 150:thinking:.................but when and if I get it, it won't be high fenced.

I hear that LostAussie - kinda like "cheatin"..........

that Drop Tine is pretty neat looking

(of course my "better half' is traveling half the darn country in Nov to "hunt" a big ole deer "in high fence area") I suppose it's a guy thing. :p between the lease in Texas and going out of state to hunt - that's some expensive sausage in our freezer :)

zebrablue2
10-16-2007, 08:10 PM
WOW and HOLY COW is all I can say about that fine buck.

lostaussie
10-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I hear that LostAussie - kinda like "cheatin"..........

that Drop Tine is pretty neat looking

(of course my "better half' is traveling half the darn country in Nov to "hunt" a big ole deer "in high fence area") I suppose it's a guy thing. :p between the lease in Texas and going out of state to hunt - that's some expensive sausage in our freezer :) Oh, i got no problem with high fences. one of my best friends has one in Junction. I love to go down and see those big ole' bucks...............but it's just not quite the same!!!!!!!

Darren
10-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Looks like he might have gord a bull. He has a sack hanging from his left side.

deer spotter
10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Oh, i got no problem with high fences. one of my best friends has one in Junction. I love to go down and see those big ole' bucks...............but it's just not quite the same!!!!!!!

That is an awsome buck. Like some of you may think,hunting on a high fence ranch is a slam dunk,go try it. I have hunted some HF ranches since 1981 and it is not that easy. In that 27 years I have 3 over 160. Believe you me when that BIG buck goes down you never think about what kind of fences surround the ranch you are hunting on.

3afan
10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
i was flipping the other day and saw these 2 guys walking in the woods with rifles ...... one took out some binoculars and they saw a buck .... the guy said it was about 400 yards ,,, the other guy took out this tripod, set it up, put his gun on it with this massive scope ...... took aim, pow

down went the buck, and these guys are high 5ing and acting like they just saved the world ... my thoughts were "what a couple of losers" ... shoot a buck at 400 yards with a tripod and a scope/gun so big my mom could have shot it

the deer hunting rules should be no tripods, etc., no scopes, just a rifle and legwork

my $.02 on what i saw ... i am not anti-hunting or anything

:p

deer spotter
10-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i was flipping the other day and saw these 2 guys walking in the woods with rifles ...... one took out some binoculars and they saw a buck .... the guy said it was about 400 yards ,,, the other guy took out this tripod, set it up, put his gun on it with this massive scope ...... took aim, pow

down went the buck, and these guys are high 5ing and acting like they just saved the world ... my thoughts were "what a couple of losers" ... shoot a buck at 400 yards with a tripod and a scope/gun so big my mom could have shot it

the deer hunting rules should be no tripods, etc., no scopes, just a rifle and legwork

my $.02 on what i saw ... i am not anti-hunting or anything

:p

Go shoot a deer at 400 yds. from a tripod rest and see how close you come.
Don't knock it before you try it.
Thanks for not being anti-hunting.

3afan
10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
as the Mrs. would say -- "oh don't get your panties in a wad" ... it was just the way these guys reacted, was just over-the-top

prob just did it for the camera