PDA

View Full Version : The Superbowl in London?

luvhoops34
10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Not that I would ever get a chance to go anyway, but.........

NFL commissioner says Super Bowl may someday be held in London

By CHRIS KAHN, Associated Press Writer
October 15, 2007

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-london&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it'd be cool for Europeans to actually get to see football games... oh WAIT, the NFL Europe... fan attendence wasn't great for that we'd still be there...

Why take an AMERICAN game's biggest game of the year to EUROPE? it's the National Football League... of the USA, not of the U.N.

might as well take it to Canada and play it on ice...

3afan
10-16-2007, 05:53 PM
its a STUPID idea

luvhoops34
10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
its a STUPID idea

LMAO:D

You of all people!:D

I feel the same way....:eek:

Stownhorse
10-16-2007, 05:57 PM
thats pretty cool

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Sort of like when the Country Music Association moved it's awards show to New York City, which doesn't even have a country radio station.

Taking an entity's biggest event and moving it away from it's fan base and forcing it on a people who have no interest is an absolutely moronic idea.

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
well said, BB... "moving it away from its fanbase"...

I was just thinking of how crazy that is... I have no problem with spreading our sports... maybe a couple of early season games over there or something, but when you're not just spreading it, but taking it AWAY (whether it's just one or not) that is silly...

But it would be kinda cool in one way... that is if they had Oasis play the halftime show and the two brothers got in a drunken brawl with each other on stage... that would be classic...

Stownhorse
10-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
well said, BB... "moving it away from its fanbase"...

I was just thinking of how crazy that is... I have no problem with spreading our sports... maybe a couple of early season games over there or something, but when you're not just spreading it, but taking it AWAY (whether it's just one or not) that is silly...

But it would be kinda cool in one way... that is if they had Oasis play the halftime show and the two brothers got in a drunken brawl with each other on stage... that would be classic...

You can still watch it on TV....It sounds like they would make more money.

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 06:05 PM
This just in.................NASCAR has announced that the 2008 Daytona 500 will be held in Kenya:eek:

Maroon87
10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Why not have the US Open at a muni in Bolivia?:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
You can still watch it on TV....It sounds like they would make more money.

but it's like having texas high schools play their football state championship in Maine...

#1 - Makes no sense

#2 - it's not Lacrosse and no one there would be interested

#3 - It's freakin' Texas High School football, not Main High School Football...

Stownhorse
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
but it's like having texas high schools play their football state championship in Maine...

#1 - Makes no sense

#2 - it's not Lacrosse and no one there would be interested

#3 - It's freakin' Texas High School football, not Main High School Football...

Thne NFL isnt worried about it, as long as they make the money.

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 06:46 PM
The Tour De France will be changing it's name to the Tour de Oregon