PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree--TTU Basketball Player?

GWOOD
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Not going to happen according to Coach Knight

(From redraiders.com)

One player that won't be helping out the Red Raiders is redshirt freshman wide receiver Mike Crabtree. While he's been gaining national attention for his record-setting performances on the football field, and though he spoke with Tech basketball coaches during his recruiting, Crabtree's future will remain on the football field, Knight said.

"I just think it's too difficult. The conditioning for football and basketball are totally different," Knight said. "We're not finished until a bowl game has been played and by that time we've already played 15 (basketball) games.

"I tried it a little bit with (Antwaan) Randle El at Indiana. He was a great kid, and it just wasn't good. It wasn't good for the chemistry of the team. I made (Quinn) Buckner quit after two years of playing football.

"Now, the difference is (a guy like) Joey Hawkins, but Joey Hawkins wasn't a basketball player. He was just a big, tough kid that went out and played his --- off in the post. That wasn't like somebody that is such a good athlete like Buckner was or Randle El was about, 'Boy, how are they going to be as basketball players?' In a way, that takes a whole lot away and it just doesn't work. I've just not seen it where it works."

lakers
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree with knight...
even the larger high schools are going away from the multisport athletes... they r wanting kids to focus on just one sport..

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Crabtree's dad announced to the media a few days ago that it's highly likely his son will leave TTU after next season to go pro. (I'll look for the link later and post.)

JR2004
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by lakers

even the larger high schools are going away from the multisport athletes... they r wanting kids to focus on just one sport..

Which is a mistake at the high school level. I don't care much for HP at all, but Allen encourages the kids to compete in multiple sports.

Johnny Utah
10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I dont think kids should specialize. I do know it happens a lot more in larger schools. Just the nature of today. Coach Knight is correct. Tough to make that transition, and in college they play year round hoops, basically 24-7.

GWOOD
10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Crabtree's dad announced to the media a few days ago that it's highly likely his son will leave TTU after next season to go pro. (I'll look for the link later and post.)

No! I don't even want to hear about that.:doh:

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
No! I don't even want to hear about that.:doh:
Sorry....... :(

Story last updated at 3:24 a.m. Friday, October 12, 2007
Red Raiders Football Notebook

Now you see him
Texas Tech wide receiver Mike Crabtree might leave for the NFL after his sophomore season, his father told The Dallas Morning News for a story that appeared Thursday.

That's provided he keeps up his stellar play.

"If he continues to do this in his first two years, I think he'll be out of there,'' the elder Crabtree, also named Michael, told the newspaper.

He cited risk of a major injury as a factor.

Tech coach Mike Leach has allowed only limited access to Crabtree since the season started. He's done postgame interviews three times but isn't made available during the week.

The NFL and NFL Players Association require a player to have been out of high school for three years to be draft eligible. That would be after the 2008 season in Crabtree's case.

The redshirt freshman has 70 receptions, 1,074 yards and 17 touchdowns in his first six games.

In brief
Tech ranked 10th nationally in a Graduation Success Rate study released by the NCAA this week for the period 1997-2000. Tech's 79-percent rate was third in the Big 12. ... Tech QB Graham Harrell on Thursday won the AT&T all-America player of the week award for the second time in three weeks. Harrell set a single-game school record for completion percentage (83.7) last week, hitting 36 of 43 for 425 yards against Iowa State. To win the award, based exclusively on fan voting, Harrell polled 41 percent and beat out Missouri QB Chase Daniel (39), Michigan RB Mike Hart (15) and Northwestern QB C.J. Bacher (5).

Compiled by Don Williams

LAJ link (http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/101207/col_101207009.shtml)