PDA

View Full Version : NCAA D1 Football Playoffs: How?

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 12:50 PM
How do you do it? I'm sitting over here looking at the conferences etc... and wondering how you'd break that down...

at Max I'd want 32 teams in, but I think having 17 teams make it with a play-in game to determine the 16 would work honestly (because the big arguement about "too many games for college kids" factors in)...

The deal is: How do you get down to those 32 or 17?

An easy suggestion would be to have that BCS computer thangy rank the top 25 or whatever, then take the top 17 in the final poll... #16 and #17 have the play-in game and 1-15 get a bye (kinda like NCAA round-ball tourney 'cept with 65)...

Now you have to have regions, not too hard, a Northeast, a Northwest, a Southeast and a Southwest... four teams in each division blah blah blah...

BUTTTTT, I want to go further in figuring this thing out... I'd like to figure out a way to set the field of 32/17 withOUT polls, just some conference type system...

The problem is that there are 11 conferences, plus the four (I think) independents...

we can throw out "well we put this team here, that team there, have 8 conferences and two/four teams make it out of each conference!", but NCAA d1 bball is a pretty big machine as well and there'd be a problem with that (screwing up rivalries etc..., universities really don't want to touch their conferences)... so is there anyway to keep the conferences the same, yet overlap them in a way JUST FOR FOOTBALL so that things work out for an even advancement into a playoff system?

it's interesting, I've been looking at it and it is mind-boggling really... but with the parity we've been seeing in college football the past two seasons or more (for sure this season) we've got to do something to make sure FOR SURE top 8 teams (or close to it) are playing the biggest games at the end of the season... then the top 4 then the top 2 (or as close as we can get)...

Old Tiger
10-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Use BCS and take the top 8 teams and seed them accordingly. With football you can't have that many teams and enough weeks to play the games.

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Use BCS and take the top 8 teams and seed them accordingly.

that'd be better than nothing, but look at how much the top 15 has switched around this year... 10 upsets in the top 10 in like, two/three weeks? I just think we need more teams in, because you just don't know, #16 can jump up to #1 in two weeks...

Txbroadcaster
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
If ur using a poll to get play-off teams you still IMO have the same problems that we do now..just with 8 teams instead of 2

Old Tiger
10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
that'd be better than nothing, but look at how much the top 15 has switched around this year... 10 upsets in the top 10 in like, two/three weeks? I just think we need more teams in, because you just don't know, #16 can jump up to #1 in two weeks... Well if you aren't in the BCS top 8 when the season is over then oh well. Still have bowl games between the weekends when these playoff games are being played so that the other teams can get their money and exposure.

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If ur using a poll to get play-off teams you still IMO have the same problems that we do now..just with 8 teams instead of 2

I dunno, as long as we have it to where the National Championship game is not voted for and/or polled for we're doing a lot better than now, ya know?

I wouldn't want it to stay that way, but we have to take what we can get just to get the thing started...

took a while to build Rome...

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 05:26 PM
thought about this some more after work... I'd for sure take a BCS ranked Top 17 into a playoff format and start there...

The BCS has a hold on college ball right now, gotta keep involved to "start" with while we figure out a way to get a playoff where teams must qualify out of their confrences etc...

Manck
10-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Do it the way Division II does. Strictly numerical.

Four regions. Six teams in each region get in. If your conference champion is top 10, bumps sixth.

Your winning percentage vs. your division + Your strength of schedule = Your ranking number.

Can't get any simpler than that. Win your games and have a challenging schedule and you will be rewarded.

Gobbla2001
10-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Manck
Do it the way Division II does. Strictly numerical.

Four regions. Six teams in each region get in. If your conference champion is top 10, bumps sixth.

Your winning percentage vs. your division + Your strength of schedule = Your ranking number.

Can't get any simpler than that. Win your games and have a challenging schedule and you will be rewarded.

of course... but would the NCAA and the BCS separate that quickly? that's the only reason I'm suggesting keeping the BCS to rank the playoff field... kinda slowly pull away...

a little bit is better than nada

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
16 teams is plenty

8 conference champions
ACC
Big 12
Big East
Big 10
Pac-10
SEC
Mountain West
C-USA

8 at large teams

In 2006, the field would have been...........
Wake Forest (ACC)
Oklahoma (Big 12)
Louisville (Big East)
Ohio State(Big 10)
USC(Pac-10)
Florida (SEC)
BYU (MWC)
Houston (C-USA)
Boise St. (at large)
LSU (at large)
Michigan (at-large)
Wisconsin (at-large)
Auburn (at-large)
Arkansas (at large)
Virginia Tech (at large)
West Virginia(at large)

Seed the teams 1-16
1. Ohio State
2. Florida
3. Michigan
4. LSU
5. Louisville
6.Wisconsin
7. Oklahoma
8. USC
9. Boise
10. Auburn
11. Arkansas
12 West Virginia
13 Virginia Tech
14. Wake Forest
15. BYU
16. Houston

FIRST ROUND
#16 Houston at #1 Ohio State
#9 Boise St. at #8 USC

#12 West Virginia at #5 Louisville
#13 Virginia Tech at #4 LSU

#14 Wake Forest at #3 Michigan
#11 Arkansas at #6 Wisconsin (these 2 actually met in a 2006 bowl game)

#10 Auburn at #7 Oklahoma
#15 BYU at #2 Florida

SECOND ROUND (based on my prediction of what would have happened in round 1)

#9 Boise St. at #1 Ohio State
#5 Lousiville at #4 LSU
#14 Wake Forest at #6 Wisconsin
#10 Auburn at #2 Florida

SEMI-FINALS (sites are neutral and pre-determined)
#1 Ohio State vs. #4 LSU at Pasadena, CA
#6 Wisconsin vs. #2 Florida at Miami, FL

CHAMPIONSHIP
#4 LSU vs. #2 Florida at Phoenix,AZ

RULES
1. Unlimited # of teams per conference (none of this 2 teams/conference hogwash)
2. Notre Dame is ineligible unless they finish the regular season ranked in the Top 1. They've gotten enough free-rides during the BCS years.

I know,it's not perfect. It probably could use some tweaking, but it's better than the BCS-crud we have now.

big daddy russ
10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
If it goes to any more than eight teams, my interest in college ball will go the way my interest in the NFL went about five years ago.

I honestly have no desire to watch a fringe top-25 team play the best team in the nation. The only playoff system I'd want to see invade college ball would be a four-team system. I want the best teams in the nation to play, not the best teams plus a few stragglers.

I'm probably the only person on the board who prefers the BCS to a 16-team playoff system, and my team's been screwed over by it harder than anyone else's. But I still want to see the best teams play the best teams, not Nevada vs. USC.

To be perfectly honest, I don't want to see college ball go to a playoff system. Right now, we see the "two best" teams in the nation go at it every year. In the NFL, we don't, and if we go to, say, an eight-team system, it won't be long before we have 64 going.

March Madness is great. It's quick and you can watch a ton of games all at once, but it would take half the season in college ball.

Bull Butter
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If it goes to any more than eight teams, my interest in college ball will go the way my interest in the NFL went about five years ago.

I honestly have no desire to watch a fringe top-25 team play the best team in the nation. The only playoff system I'd want to see invade college ball would be a four-team system. I want the best teams in the nation to play, not the best teams plus a few stragglers.

I'm probably the only person on the board who prefers the BCS to a 16-team playoff system, and my team's been screwed over by it harder than anyone else's. But I still want to see the best teams play the best teams, not Nevada vs. USC.

Guess you were never a big fan of Gonzaga basketball:(

3afan
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
2. Notre Dame is ineligible unless they finish the regular season ranked in the Top 1.

:thinking: :D

Maroon87
10-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Make every conference a two division conference like the Big 12, SEC, ACC, etc. with division winners playing in a conference championship game.

The winners of the conference championship games advance to the playoffs and are seeded at that time.

That's it. You win or go home. No polls...no nothing. No "at-large."

How many conferences would you need? That's the real question.

big daddy russ
10-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Guess you were never a big fan of Gonzaga basketball:(
No, I am, but football's one game a week. Hoops is four games in two weeks.

Gobbla2001
10-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

To be perfectly honest, I don't want to see college ball go to a playoff system. Right now, we see the "two best" teams in the nation go at it every year. In the NFL, we don't, and if we go to, say, an eight-team system, it won't be long before we have 64 going.

March Madness is great. It's quick and you can watch a ton of games all at once, but it would take

half the season in college ball.

I understand your point, but there is just too much parity right now... as the population has rised in the united states, so has the number of quality athletes... but the number of D1 colleges hasn't risen, so basically more of what used to be cellar-dweller colleges are getting athletes that mirror those of what your USC's etc... get...

just look at how much the top 15 has changed this year... one week a 15 will beat a 5, the next week that 5 will move to 15 and beat a top 10 etc...

I think 16 is justifiable now, too many quality athletes on well-coached ball clubs right now...

3afan
10-17-2007, 07:10 AM
dont think 16 will ever happen in D-I unless the playoffs start immediately after the regular season and utilize the bowl games ...