PDA

View Full Version : Holding athletes back

gatordaze
10-16-2007, 10:46 AM
How prevelant is it for Texas high school athlete to have been held back in order to let them develop physically?

I am not talking about kindergarten hold backs but parents that hold their 5, 6, and 7th graders back

luvhoops34
10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
How prevelant is it for Texas high school athlete to have been held back in order to let them develop physically?

I am not talking about kindergarten hold backs but parents that hold their 5, 6, and 7th graders back

Are they doing that in Celina now?;) :D :p ;) :D ;)

crzyjournalist03
10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I've never heard of a child being held back a grade so that he could improve athletically...doesn't being held back make you academically ineligible?

Ranger Mom
10-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I've never heard of a child being held back a grade so that he could improve athletically...doesn't being held back make you academically ineligible?

I have heard of it quite a bit.

burnet44
10-16-2007, 10:52 AM
usually in the 7th grade
you get 5 semesters to play counting 8th grade
and cant be 19 on or before sept 1

I think the taks test has been a factor in not as many people doing this as once was

its still done
just not on the scale it used to be

mine were not/will not be held back
and both are young for their grade
academics is much more important for their futures

Sweetwater Red
10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Are they doing that in Celina now?;) :D :p ;) :D ;)

What do you mean "now"?:D :devil:

gatordaze
10-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Why does it always have to be a Celina thing? I have talked to several coaches and teachers from several schools that have held their boys back and yes their are a few kids in Celina maybe 5 or 6 over 4 teams that at some point were held back for some reason.

I personally graduated from high school at 17 and played my first year of college football at 17. I would not want my kids to play at that disadvantage.

As a parent you can hold your child back for any reason without eligibility issues as long as they have not played a down in 8th grade. From there you have 5 seasons of eligibility.

I think the rule is as long as you are younger than 19 before your senior season begins you are ok.

My question is do you know if many Texas teams regularly have kids that are technically a grade ahead of their playing grade

Fal44
10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I am actually young for my class, and am doing well both in sports and academics.:)... I wouldn't hold my son or daughter back either.

GreenMonster
10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
It is more prevalent in boys than in girls. It is actually a good idea to hold back a boy that is on the younger end of his class. Boys, as everyone knows, tend to mature slower than girls. By holding these younger boys back it enables them to mature and can give them an advantage over their younger counterparts. Their confidence levels increase from being more mature and they tend to excell in all areas of life.

Fal44
10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It is more prevalent in boys than in girls. It is actually a good idea to hold back a boy that is on the younger end of his class. Boys, as everyone knows, tend to mature slower than girls. By holding these younger boys back it enables them to mature and can give them an advantage over their younger counterparts. Their confidence levels increase from being more mature and they tend to excell in all areas of life.

I know what you mean, I would be the stud of the class below me, but with my class I'm just good.

GreenMonster
10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
I know what you mean, I would be the stud of the class below me, but with my class I'm just good. Actually, that's not what I mean. It will hold true many times athletically, but what I am really talking about is grades will be better, leadership abilities will be better, self esteem will be overall better.

3afan
10-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I would think its a rarity now ...

STANG RED
10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
I strongly disagree unless it is done before 1st grade. If you want your child to develop one more year before starting regular school, I have no problem with that. But if the kid is doing acceptable academically in the 7th grade, or even 6th or 5th, I don’t think it’s right to hold them back strictly for athletics. With the stigma that is attached with being held back, I just don’t think it’s right, unless it is necessary for academic or possibly social development reasons only.

Ranger Mom
10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I have an interesting question.

What if you have twins...one is ready to start school, the other isn't quite ready!

Do you hold the one back and let the other start?? Or do you hold them both back until the latter is ready to start???

lakers
10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
now u can actually apply for a wavier from the uil if u still have some eligibility left and u r under 19... they use it in cases if a student gets really ill and miss the season or in some cases of where u have an injury like my twin brother... he tore is left lebrum in his right shoulder his jr year and then he didnt get to play his senior year becuase he tore his lebrum in his left shoulder, so he didnt get to play his jr and sr year...bummer huh, I was told he could have contacted the uil and most likely got a wavier to play another year, but he was ready to get out of high school and on to college...

lakers
10-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

What if you have twins...one is ready to start school, the other isn't quite ready!

Do you hold the one back and let the other start?? Or do you hold them both back until the latter is ready to start???
I am a twin so I would try to do the best I can to keep them together, that is what i did and really makes things easier...
but i know some kids that are twins where that case happened and it didnt seem like that big of a deal to them.
They seemed to do fine with it...

VWG
10-16-2007, 03:16 PM
You can usually really tell in junior high athletics. I know of one 8th grade team that has two kids that are 15 yr. olds.
Guess what, those two 15 year old kids are physically bigger and faster than the other kids.

RedWhiteBlue
10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
My husband really wanted to hold my son back in JH for athletic reasons, but it is hard to justify when he aces the TAKS.

bobcat1
10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Why does it always have to be a Celina thing?

They won't accept that the kids and coaches work year round. Couldn't be that. It has to be that we are playing older kids. *sigh*

Stownhorse
10-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Actually, that's not what I mean. It will hold true many times athletically, but what I am really talking about is grades will be better, leadership abilities will be better, self esteem will be overall better.

Alot of it is in your head when your older than others.

Phantom Stang
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
They won't accept that the kids and coaches work year round. Couldn't be that. It has to be that we are playing older kids. *sigh*
So y'all practice football year round??:thinking:

I knew there had to be something going on!:p

KTA
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
I plan on doing this with my son....earlier on though, like Kindergarten or 1st grade

bobcat1
10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
So y'all practice football year round??:thinking:

I knew there had to be something going on!:p

Well no not all year, but at least 16 weeks each year it seems. How many do y'all play? :p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Man, I sure wish my parents would have held me back to allow me to develop for another year. That would have been awesome.

sotxrat
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
After 4 boys, my experience is, the first, born in sept. we allowed the normal age requirements to be our guide, it worked just fine for him. The second group was twins, born in Oct., we held back before school even started as far as pre-k, this was very benificial as far as actual school goes, they seemed to be a little more mature mentally, as far as sports, well sure it was to their advantage but so what, they were better mentally prepared for college, now our last is still in question, he was born in Feb. and we are now wishing we would have held him back because of maturity reasons not athletic, but he will be just fine with time. So imo, over all it is best to let you child stay out of school in the beginning as long as possible because it will help them thru their very pressure filled high school years.

Fal44
10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I have friends that are like that and both are still pretty dumb..:D

Ranger Mom
10-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by sotxrat
After 4 boys, my experience is, the first, born in sept. we allowed the normal age requirements to be our guide, it worked just fine for him. The second group was twins, born in Oct., we held back before school even started as far as pre-k, this was very benificial as far as actual school goes, they seemed to be a little more mature mentally, as far as sports, well sure it was to their advantage but so what, they were better mentally prepared for college, now our last is still in question, he was born in Feb. and we are now wishing we would have held him back because of maturity reasons not athletic, but he will be just fine with time. So imo, over all it is best to let you child stay out of school in the beginning as long as possible because it will help them thru their very pressure filled high school years.

I debated on doing that with my daughter who was a "summer baby". She was going to have to repeat 4 y/o pre school and could already read, so her teachers thought she was ready.

She ended up changing schools her junior year and went to a charter school where she was so far ahead of her class that she graduated a year early. Being her birthday was in the summer, she was 16 when she graduated.

She is 18 now, in college and doing extremely well there. In her case, I am glad I didn't hold her back a year.

rundoe
10-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
usually in the 7th grade
you get 5 semesters to play counting 8th grade
and cant be 19 on or before sept 1

I think the taks test has been a factor in not as many people doing this as once was

its still done
just not on the scale it used to be

mine were not/will not be held back
and both are young for their grade
academics is much more important for their futures

agreed, acedemics come first

Panther One
10-16-2007, 11:54 PM
I think the best example right now of holding your child back is Brock Fitzhenry. He's currently 19 playing in his senior year of high school. I was 19 as a sophomore in college. I would have loved two more years of high school football. I was a starting varsity QB and OLB as a sophomore at age 15. Brock was in the 8th grade at 15. If it's athletics you're concerned about, definitely hold them back and pray that academics don't become an issue.

If you're concerned about holding children back, then for future births, plan them to be in September or October. That's the next best thing. Then you have the opportunity to really maximize it like the Fitzhenry's and hold them back, as well.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
I think the best example right now of holding your child back is Brock Fitzhenry. He's currently 19 playing in his senior year of high school. I was 19 as a sophomore in college. I would have loved two more years of high school football. I was a starting varsity QB and OLB as a sophomore at age 15. Brock was in the 8th grade at 15. If it's athletics you're concerned about, definitely hold them back and pray that academics don't become an issue.

If you're concerned about holding children back, then for future births, plan them to be in September or October. That's the next best thing. Then you have the opportunity to really maximize it like the Fitzhenry's and hold them back, as well.

That's crazy, I'm 19 and playing linebacker at A&M. I would love to be 19 and playing high school football, because my dad put it best when we went and watched Rockdale (my old high school team play a few weeks back when I said that I would love to play one more game at the HS level. He said that I would seriously hurt or kill some of those kids playing out there, and I think that he would probably be right, because I'm a lot bigger than any high school player that I've seen play this year.

burnet44
10-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
agreed, acedemics come first

and second and third and...................

pirate4state
10-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
That's crazy, I'm 19 and playing linebacker at A&M. I would love to be 19 and playing high school football, because my dad put it best when we went and watched Rockdale (my old high school team play a few weeks back when I said that I would love to play one more game at the HS level. He said that I would seriously hurt or kill some of those kids playing out there, and I think that he would probably be right, because I'm a lot bigger than any high school player that I've seen play this year. Would you be that big though if you were "just in HS" at 19?

RedWhiteBlue
10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
That is usually an indication that you had 'problems' when you were little. Or that is what they would say about you back in the day....... My birthday is 09/03 and I was always older than everyone except for the kids that had 'problems' or the kids that failed.

Old Tiger
10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Brock will be/is 19 but he isn't physically bigger than anyone yet he has all those touchdowns and rushing yards. So I think it's just stupid to think that it makes a difference.

RedWhiteBlue
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
My son has always been a big kid. We moved to Graham and his his class here is huge. He is in the 8th grade. He turned 13 in May and some of his friends are soon going to be 15 and he is almost their size now. We had to explain to him that it just takes time to grow in to those size 12's.

Panther One
10-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Brock will be/is 19 but he isn't physically bigger than anyone yet he has all those touchdowns and rushing yards. So I think it's just stupid to think that it makes a difference.
Ever heard of this thing called maturity? It's not always how you compare to others, but how you compare to yourself. I was 17 my entire senior year. Started the year at about 6'0 175 running about a 4.7-4.8. By the time track season rolled around, I was 6'0 195, running a 4.5, making it to regionals in the 100 and 200. I wish I would have had two more years of football to play with that size and speed.

Put Brock on my timeline and his senior year would have been his sophomore year. You don't think two extra years in high school give you an advantage? Most males experience quite a bit of physical maturation between ages 17-19. Now I know Brock didn't get two extra years. He just got one, as his birthday is just after school starts as opposed to just before, but essentially, he was in high school two years longer than someone like me.

If you're truly concerned about your child competeing in sports from a physical standpoint, holding them back will definitely have an impact. Some guys mature much later than others, so holding them back may mean the difference between standing on the sidelines and starting as a senior.

44INAROW
10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Ever heard of this thing called maturity?

I have so many comments but I am going to remain silent on this......:D

burnet44
10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I have so many comments but I am going to remain silent on this......:D

I hear ya
but

Look forward people not back
sure we all coulda/woulda/shoulda
but time stands still for no one
and all this talk of whats best?
its seems to be all about whats best for THEIR athletic career
not their life in the future

people will look back and say I shoulda been all-state this or that
if I had been held back

Bull

if you were that good you would have been

looking foward helps you accomplish things
looking back only keep you in the past

yeah IF mine was held back she coulda been a 130 foot discus thrower
with a 3 time state champ in her region all ready graduated
Big deal

she is in college looking foward
not back

all you HS Harry's get over it

do whats best for your kids in school
thats first
and second and 3rd

too many people brag on their kids athletic accomplishments
when they are ave or below ave students
you can fix your academics with work and not worrying about how good you are on Fridays

me? Im most proud of how hard she works to achieve
thats what will feed her and her family someday
not how far she threw the discus, which she enjoyed

keep it in proper perspective

yeah we won state in ____
"Me will Im unemplyed now Im looking for work"
I have no skills
but I was a back-up on a semi-final team
I coulda played on Sundays but_____________

School is for your future
quit looking back

ok fire away

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Would you be that big though if you were "just in HS" at 19?

I think it would have made a big difference. You can tell the difference between the strength of an older player on the team and the strength of a younger player at A&M because of the mature muscles that are developed. I believe that it would have helped me to have been able to be held back a year, but the world may never know....

BrahmaMom
10-17-2007, 11:37 AM
It's all about the child. Four sons-all very different. Son One, born early Sept. Held back in early grades -size, maturity. HS baseball-good deal. Son Two, April birthday. Matured early, fine academically.HS & DI football, graduates from Rice in Dec-good outcome. Son Three-born mid-Sept , started 1st grade at 5. Read at college level 4th grade. Played jr hi & fresh football. Graduates HS May, starts college Aug '08 at age 16-good but different outcome. Son Four- Nov birthday. Baby of the family, matured slower than others in some ways, faster in others. Big kid from birth. Always strong academically. Great maturity and academics-so far, good outcome. Hold back for size, maturity, academics, NEVER for athletics alone. SCHOOL FIRST--the family mantra!

scott Wilson
10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
You may have a child that was born in July or August that could have waited till the next year to acutally start school, but they went anyways. This does make them younger and probably going to graduate at 17. As little Johhny grows (or doesn`t grow that fast), and starts playing sports, it becomes obvious to mommy or daddddddddy that Little man may need another year under his belt to be the high school superstar we just knew he would be. So before he gets into Jr. High, we`ll just hold him back o-n-e more year (even though he was making straight A`s) just so he`ll be as good as we thought he was.

This scenario brought to you by a witness that was against these folks decision. Any rebroadcast of this scenario prohibited without written permission. All rights reserved.

scott Wilson
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
In all seriousness, HOLD A KID BACK FOR SPORTS???? Where are we at in society if that is our motives? How about GRADES? O, I forgot why we go to school. These other things, their called EXTRA-CURRICULAR activities. That means their EXTRA from the aforementioned SCHOOLING. Jeez are we really that shallow? Don`t you think that the band member would LOVE one more year on the Tuba at High-School? Or the FFA judging team member would LOVE one more year of practice at the high school level? School should be determined on your academic acheivment ONLY. Not , I`m not big enough yet. On a related subject, I`m sick of parents "rewarding" their kids by letting them play sports when they can`t even spell C-A-T. On all these subjects, SCHOOL,SCHOOL,SCHOOL, THEN extra-curricular activites,which, as much as I love football, it is just that, an extra-curricular activity.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by scott Wilson
In all seriousness, HOLD A KID BACK FOR SPORTS???? Where are we at in society if that is our motives? How about GRADES? O, I forgot why we go to school. These other things, their called EXTRA-CURRICULAR activities. That means their EXTRA from the aforementioned SCHOOLING. Jeez are we really that shallow? Don`t you think that the band member would LOVE one more year on the Tuba at High-School? Or the FFA judging team member would LOVE one more year of practice at the high school level? School should be determined on your academic acheivment ONLY. Not , I`m not big enough yet. On a related subject, I`m sick of parents "rewarding" their kids by letting them play sports when they can`t even spell C-A-T. On all these subjects, SCHOOL,SCHOOL,SCHOOL, THEN extra-curricular activites,which, as much as I love football, it is just that, an extra-curricular activity.

Well, it may be just me, but I would rather spend a few years playing professional football (or basketball, track, etc.) and making millions than sitting behind a desk for many, many years. It may be just a game, but it's one that can make you a millionaire.

burnet44
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
my youngest birthday is in July
she is very young for her sophomore class
but because of her hard work
she is at the top of the class academically

no thanks to me
her mom has the good genes
luckily hers dominated my DNA
all mine were recessive
thank god

3afan
10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Well, it may be just me, but I would rather spend a few years playing professional football (or basketball, track, etc.) and making millions than sitting behind a desk for many, many years. It may be just a game, but it's one that can make you a millionaire.

but the odds of anyone making a living at playing a sport are astronomically low

LH Panther Mom
10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
Great maturity and academics-so far, good outcome. Hold back for size, maturity, academics, NEVER for athletics alone. SCHOOL FIRST--the family mantra!
Exactly! :clap:

My birthday is August 27. I was ALWAYS the youngest in my class until my sophomore year and one of the guys in my class (we moved just before) had an August 30 birthday. Yes, girls mature faster than boys, but being BARELY young enough to be in first grade wasn't a problem for me academically. Athletically? Heck, I could've started school when I was 9 and it wouldn't have mattered there. :D

LH Panther Mom
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Age isn't necessarily going to make a difference on whether you can play professional sports or not. TALENT is what will do it. Look at the number of high school athletes there are and compare it to the number of college scholarships that are handed out for various sports. NOW, take the number of college athletes and compare it to the number of professional athletes.

LH Panther Mom
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
:clap: :clap: :kiss: :inlove: :kiss: :clap: :clap:

buff4life
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Ever heard of this thing called maturity? It's not always how you compare to others, but how you compare to yourself. I was 17 my entire senior year. Started the year at about 6'0 175 running about a 4.7-4.8. By the time track season rolled around, I was 6'0 195, running a 4.5, making it to regionals in the 100 and 200. I wish I would have had two more years of football to play with that size and speed.

Put Brock on my timeline and his senior year would have been his sophomore year. You don't think two extra years in high school give you an advantage? Most males experience quite a bit of physical maturation between ages 17-19. Now I know Brock didn't get two extra years. He just got one, as his birthday is just after school starts as opposed to just before, but essentially, he was in high school two years longer than someone like me.

If you're truly concerned about your child competeing in sports from a physical standpoint, holding them back will definitely have an impact. Some guys mature much later than others, so holding them back may mean the difference between standing on the sidelines and starting as a senior.

Brock hit your "maturity" or or i'm guessing finishing puberty when he was in 8th grade...

pirate4state
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
In all seriousness, HOLD A KID BACK FOR SPORTS???? Where are we at in society if that is our motives? How about GRADES? O, I forgot why we go to school. These other things, their called EXTRA-CURRICULAR activities. That means their EXTRA from the aforementioned SCHOOLING. Jeez are we really that shallow? Don`t you think that the band member would LOVE one more year on the Tuba at High-School? Or the FFA judging team member would LOVE one more year of practice at the high school level? School should be determined on your academic acheivment ONLY. Not , I`m not big enough yet. On a related subject, I`m sick of parents "rewarding" their kids by letting them play sports when they can`t even spell C-A-T. On all these subjects, SCHOOL,SCHOOL,SCHOOL, THEN extra-curricular activites,which, as much as I love football, it is just that, an extra-curricular activity. :clap: bravo! :clap:

sotxrat
10-17-2007, 02:59 PM
imo - it is irresponsible on the parents part to hold a child back for sports, as i stated earlier the only reason to do it is that child may me a little more mature during their high school years and maybe, just maybe, have a better understanding what an education can do for them in their later years and they will be a little more serious when they are taking their classes in the high school. But it st ll takes parents that will push their children in the right direction.

RedWhiteBlue
10-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Been done for years..l.....

Runnin Panther
10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I am 100% for holding kids back in kinder, however holding them back in junior high is a bit more problematic. I held all of my kids back and have never regretted it. In fact I have never come across another parent that has held their kid back that has regretted it. All of us as parents want the very best for our kids in life and we do everything we can to set them up for the best future possible. We send them to special schools, give them private lessons, enroll them in various clubs, feed them a balance diet, fix their teeth, the list can go on and on. Holding kids back is just one of the many things we as parents can do to try and ensure the best possible future for our kids. It can lend a kid to have more confidence, a better self esteem and more maturity. It is statically proven that older college freshmen have less of a chance of dropping out, most likely due to maturity. And I bet if you look at people in the education business you will find a higher than normal percentage of parents that have held their kids back, because they have seen the benefits. Also look at some of your wealthier schools and you will find a higher percentage of parents holding their kids back.

Last but not least it gives us parents one extra year to have our babies’ home before they go off to college. So Panther One when you have kids, hold them back in kinder, I’m pretty sure you won’t regret it.

bobcat1
10-17-2007, 05:04 PM
My kid is 6'6" and is a senior. He is just now getting the strength and size a junior needs physically. A typical big Kid that is a late bloomer. Had I of held him back, I believe he would go about 275 next year instead of 235 this year. I would have loved for him to be that size in high school, but I wouldn't have held him back to do it.

block&tackle
10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
I am 100% for holding kids back in kinder, however holding them back in junior high is a bit more problematic. I held all of my kids back and have never regretted it. In fact I have never come across another parent that has held their kid back that has regretted it. All of us as parents want the very best for our kids in life and we do everything we can to set them up for the best future possible. We send them to special schools, give them private lessons, enroll them in various clubs, feed them a balance diet, fix their teeth, the list can go on and on. Holding kids back is just one of the many things we as parents can do to try and ensure the best possible future for our kids. It can lend a kid to have more confidence, a better self esteem and more maturity. It is statically proven that older college freshmen have less of a chance of dropping out, most likely due to maturity. And I bet if you look at people in the education business you will find a higher than normal percentage of parents that have held their kids back, because they have seen the benefits. Also look at some of your wealthier schools and you will find a higher percentage of parents holding their kids back.

Last but not least it gives us parents one extra year to have our babies’ home before they go off to college. So Panther One when you have kids, hold them back in kinder, I’m pretty sure you won’t regret it.

Ex teacher saying "Amen".

I was a 4 year old who was already reading so my mom sent me. As a 17 year old college freshman I paid for it.

As a father of a boy with an August birthday, you better believe that I kept him at home. Was athletics part of that decision? Absolutely. But only a part. Now he has confidence that comes from being better in athletics, he makes straight A's, and get along well socially. I would do it again in a second.

allforball
10-17-2007, 07:25 PM
If it's a boy and he's a May or summer baby, it makes sense. Had a nephew born in May that they didn't hold back. Athletically, in a 5A, he was average but if he was a year older he would have had a better chance. Those that hold back kids born between October - April, I believe it's more of a Daddy thing, wanting their kid to be a stud in HS. A 15 year old 8th grader (born between Oct - Jan), they could hurt somebody.

sweetwater07
10-17-2007, 07:25 PM
is this thread aimed toward Brock Fitzhenry??

haha

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
but the odds of anyone making a living at playing a sport are astronomically low

No, I know that, but like I said, if I could have it my way....:D

BrahmaMom
10-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Runnin Panther-You are so right. I would love to have held every one of my babies back for another year--or two. I hate having my third child leave home for college at 16, but he is so past ready in every way. But, we want the best for them, as you so aptly point out. The decisions are hard either way. I am so glad it has turned out well for both our families (so far-it ain't over till it's over!). But, oh, to keep those babies home for any extra year, sigh! You were so lucky!Sports are a privilege to participate in IF you are performing well academically!

bobcat1
10-17-2007, 08:26 PM
It always helps Boys in sports no doubt.

allforball
10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Brock was probably a small kid all along. He probably couldn't have hurt anybody in 8th grade as a 15 year old. But a kid that's a big boy when he is little will be a bigger boy when he is 15. Those are the ones that may hurt someone. Again, as somebody says it's a matter of knowing your kid and having a little common sense.

Hupernikomen
10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Actually, that's not what I mean. It will hold true many times athletically, but what I am really talking about is grades will be better, leadership abilities will be better, self esteem will be overall better.

What the research actually shows is if a child is held back they are much more likely to never graduate from high school. A kids age should only be considered if they are struggling academically.

Sure there are times when maturity plays a part in retaining a child, typically it is out of an obvious necessity.

Runnin Panther
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I think the research you are referring to Hupernikomen is children being held back after they have already started school. Also the later they are held back the more likely to drop out. But many of these cases are due to existing poor performance are bad behavior.
Much of what kind of student a child may become is established at a very young age. Even Kindergarteners will tell you who the smartest, or fastest or coolest person in their class is. Peer perspective helps establish a child’s self identity. It is sort of self fulfilling. I’m not suggesting that holding or not holding children back will ensure whether a kid will be successful or not, all I saying is the older kid may have a better chance of being the coolest, smartest or fastest. Elementary teachers will tell you even a month can make a developmental difference is a young child. All and all it’s a personal choice each parent has to make for their children after weighing the pro and cons.

kaorder1999
10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Ive seen it done. In order for this to happen their has to be an academic need. If the kid has all A's or has even passed everything for that matter, then later on a year can be taken away from their eligibility. They are taking a chance with this. For instance:
If a kid passes everything and is recommended to advance to the next grade and the parents choose to hold back their child then later on this kid is the starting QB going into his senior year and its reported to the UIL then that child can be ruled ineligible no matter his age. It would take osmeone bringing it up though. If the child was passing and their wasn't an academic need for the child to be retained then the parents will not have a leg to stand on.

kaorder1999
10-18-2007, 10:14 AM
the Rule used to be that you had 6 years of eligibility once you started 7th grade and then it was changed to you have 5 years of eligibility once you start 8th grade and now the rule is you have 4 years of eligibility once you begin 9th grade. There is still an age limit though!

Ranger Mom
10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
I hate having my third child leave home for college at 16

They are supposed to leave??? :eek: :eek:

My daughter graduated at 16 and is in college now. She stayed local though and still lives at home!!!!:D :D

44INAROW
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM
we held 2 of our 3 boys back, but sports had nothing to do with it.. wish I'd of held the oldest one back as well........(summer babies) I have 2 college graduates and 1 in college - guess they don't all drop out if you hold them back :p

BrahmaMom - experience here - get prepared when that 3rd one leaves (if it's your last one) - took me 2 weeks to become a human again.. didn't go through any of that with the others

pirate4state
10-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

haha

I hope not! :mad:

buff4life
10-18-2007, 03:48 PM

haha

Brock was held back in Kindergarten or 1st grade i believe...

nothing wrong with that then, the parents had no clue how athletic of big he could get at that age

sweetwater07
10-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
Brock was held back in Kindergarten or 1st grade i believe...

nothing wrong with that then, the parents had no clue how athletic of big he could get at that age

:D i was jokin when i brought it up because of the huge conversation a couple of months back on how he shouldn't be able to play because he was so old.....

i thought it was funny?? :D

scott Wilson
10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
My son is a summer baby as well. He will graudate at 17. When he started 7th grade ball, he rode the pine a lot,rode it a bunch in 8th, started getting action in 9th, got to start in JV, but always made straight A`s. How in the world would, could, or should I justify holding him back so he can "catch up" with everyone else? Well, now he`s a junior 5` 11" 230 lbs and starts on varsity. He is 16, still makes straight A`s and will go on and have a college career....................In the Classroom, not on the field. Someone said earlier, "because I`d rather be paid millions playing footall", Are you kidding me? Name the players from South Texas that made it to the NFL. Shane Nelson, Gene Upshaw, anymore? Not ones that went to A&I, I mean ones born and raised South of San Antonio. Go study, it`ll pay off more than you think.

scott Wilson
10-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Again, the original question was "How prevalent is holding kids back, I`m not talking kindergarteners, I`m talking 5th, 6th or 7th graders."

scott Wilson
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Age isn't necessarily going to make a difference on whether you can play professional sports or not. TALENT is what will do it. Look at the number of high school athletes there are and compare it to the number of college scholarships that are handed out for various sports. NOW, take the number of college athletes and compare it to the number of professional athletes.

buff4life
10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
:D i was jokin when i brought it up because of the huge conversation a couple of months back on how he shouldn't be able to play because he was so old.....

i thought it was funny?? :D

you prolly thought it was funny and i wasn't retorting at you...

but to all the jealous morons who constantly do bring it up

BrahmaMom
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Yep, Ranger Mom, there isn't the stimulating intellectual opportunity he needs in this area. Glad you got to keep your baby around--how wonderful for both of you.